What Platinum trophy broke you and why ?

ajkungfu

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I don't think any of your games on your profile are "hard", so to speak. When you try pounding your head on say Impossible Boy in Super Meat Boy, you will know what it means to get close to the "breaking point".

If you actually read my post about the plats that broke me you would see that two out of the three of them I have the plat for and that my struggles with them had nothing to do with difficulty.

I only play games that I enjoy, not to flex online to compensate for real life shortcomings.

• Like 4

Godzilla for PS4. As you can see, I got 90% of the trophies in January of 2019. The grind for the last two trophies are so mind-numbing and repetitive that I just play like an hour a week if that to try and whittle it down. It feels like Rayman Legends level of grinding.  I had a blast with the game the straight 2-3 weeks I played it a few years ago but now when I think about the game I think about playing the boring kaiju I don't like just to grind out their specific level-up materials and it doesn't interest me. I love Godzilla as a franchise but being forced to play the slow and weak kaiju like Mothra larvae form and Angurius makes the game simply less fun. Rodan is pretty boring to me as well but at least he has a fun move that instantly kills the generators!

• Like 1

I don’t think I’ve made it that far, but there have been a few times I’ve gotten close:

Kingdom Hearts - With the sole exception of KH III (which I enjoyed) every KH game I’ve played has had at least one thing that makes me question whether it’s worth completing, whether it be KH’s synthesis materials, CoM’s level grind, KH II’s insane optional boss fights, BBS’s command grind (and optional bosses) or 3D’s spirit grind. 
InFamous - Trying to find the last few blast shards had me quit for several months before I eventually went back and finished it. 
Devil May Cry 4 - Trying to finish the BP with Lady and Trish is bad enough, grinding through the BP to get one shot at a no-damage run on Dante is even worse. While it’s obviously doable, the time it would take is a bit much for me atm. 

To be fair though, whenever I see a platinum is going to be a too much of a slog, I don’t even bother attempting it, so it’s not hard to avoid being in that situation.

7 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

If you actually read my post about the plats that broke me you would see that two out of the three of them I have the plat for and that my struggles with them had nothing to do with difficulty.

I only play games that I enjoy, not to flex online to compensate for real life shortcomings.

I play to challenge myself on occasion. You play for a different reason, as your profile attests to that. 

I responded accordingly. Also, just because I posted an example of a trophy that I really struggled with, does not automatically mean I am flexing what I have accomplished in contrast to others.

• Like 1

Bunny Betting from Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I remember doing the races twice back on the PS2 and never again. It took me about 3 and a half days and 873 races, and this was without a turbo controller. Getting 100 points would have been understandable, the fact I had to get ten times that amount for the platinum seemed really absurd.

Edited by Shades89935
  • Like 3

Depending on your definition, I think the platinum that broke me the most was Resident Evil: Revelations. It wasn't the hardest game I've played or the grindiest, and I actually enjoyed the main campaign, but Raid Mode was so awful and repetitive that I stopped playing video games for about two months. When I came back, I ended up making it my 100th platinum. That was four years ago. I still consider that my lowest point in gaming.

I have a similar thing going on now with Ys: Origins. I know the platinum is doable, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time I play. I just feel like if I tried going for any of the remaining trophies, I'd swear off gaming forever.

• Like 2

Most of my platinum's I did over the span of years but the closest to breaking me was 100% the list for Borderlands, those DLC trophies were so lame and boring and grindy. Max Payne 3 also pissed me off because I overestimated the time I had and I had Covid and failed at the online grind, great game though.

• Like 1

Vampyr: a mediocre game at the very least, and the few enjoyable aspects were completely overshadowed by the ridiculously high number of glitches and crashes, as well as the infinite loading times. For a 2018 PS4 game. Shame on it. Most of my PS2 games run better than that crap.

Fall Guys: around a year ago I uninstalled the game for few days because I was burned out from it because I kept being unsuccessful in obtaining Infallible.

• Like 1

Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pian. As soon as I found out I needed to fulton extract 1000 soldiers for the collector trophy I just gave up. I was pretty set on getting the platinum up

to that point. But I just decided to ditch the plat. Didn’t feel like extracting 750 more soldiers. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Most of the time you've jumped in just to say you're not struggling (in fact, your very first post on this thread can attest to that) which is pointless. Then you started going on about Super Meat Boy for some reason (the game you said you didn't struggle with but "others found difficult" in your first post) when if you've studied my profile like you claim you'd see I'm not into 2D platformers and haven't been since I was a child so again, pointless. I know this is hard to believe but some people on this website play games for fun.  Shocking, I know. Getting platinums is just an extension of what I already like, not the be all and end all. You seem like you're always trying prove that you're better than people, not just here but in other threads as well, and it's tiresome if not a little sad.  *shrugs*

Gaming as a whole is pointless, it's all about whether you enjoy it or not. I enjoy going after a challenge every now and then, which stems far before achievements even existed for me.

2-D platformers have changed tremendously since the old Nintendo days, and they're something I grew up loving.

I basically said I didn't come across anything that actually 'broke me'. Super Meat Boy followed by DOOM 2 have been the closest. I can be like anyone else and just play an average assortment of games. That to me is boring. I get satisfaction out of being one of a few. It's a passion of mine, and I'm fully aware that isn't for everybody, including yourself.

And as far as trying to say that I look at platinums as the "be all and end all", the stuff I have on Steam and GOG.com says otherwise. I've been gaming for 30 years, and only five of those years I have put trophy hunting as a hobby.

I've taken frequent breaks from trophy hunting, usually for a day or two if not more.

I can think of three different ones over my few years playing. One I completed, two I haven't.

SSX was one that I did complete, but drove me to the edge, and one where I stopped numerous times along the way. To get it involved me creating two alternate accounts, one of which set 50 times in I think it was the explore mode that I then had to beat all 50 with this account, and then not best any of the 50 time with the alternate again. Global events being a social based mode in an eight year old game meant that I had to use my two alts to be able to reliably get each of the 5 rank badges 10 times as getting a higher badge does not earn the lower tier badges simultaneously. This is a feat is one I am torn about. I'm both proud I stuck through, but I'm not one to recommend its tedium and luck factors that were pushed to the extreme with the games low skill ceiling and waiting for the daily event reset to see what ranks I got and try again if needed. I do and don't regret getting this one.

One that I didn't achieve was Gran Turismo 5. I have loved racing games and motorsport as a whole for as long as I could remember, and it surprises people to know that even with owning all GT games, I haven't 100% completed any except 6. GT5 currently sits at about 96%, with the only things left for me to do is gold on the Nurburgring and Suzuka Vettel challenges to earn the Gold Standard trophy, and then reach level 40 in A-Spec (currently level 37). I have gold in all 60 license tests, won every race through the games alternate B-Spec mode, and have gold in all special events except these 2. This one I feel broke me because I'm oh so close to the end of what is a feat that has involved me having a PS3 running for 2 months straight, countless retries in each time-based test, and all round pushing through because of how much I love these types of games, and the charm GT has always had for me. I just couldn't get close to the gold times on these two. I know I'll come back around to this one day, just not today.

The final one is GRiD (2019). I loved the original ToCA games as a kid, and hearing this series got a reboot excited me, however this game is nothing short of a piece of shit. What has been a basic, fun and nearly relaxing task in the previous grid games to win every race in the career was an uphill battle in this one. Almost every car in the game has this stupid case of arcade oversteer regardless of the cars power or drivetrain (front wheel drive vs all wheel drive) that you can't prevent or counteract. The only way around spinning out every time is to use up your limited rewinds and then hope --- prey even -- that you don't spin out again at the same corner when you resume. All 100 and something events felt like this to me, but it wasn't the one that got me though. The trophy that broke me is called "Around the Globe",  and it involves driving 40,075km in game (the circumference of the earth). I immediately stopped playing this game when I had gotten 1st in every career event, and completed all but one of the dlc trophies as I had checked my stats in-game and seen that the 30 hours I had played only amounted to just shy of 2500km. I had not even 6% of the distance needed, and I had already completed the entirety of the game's content and earned every other trophy in the game naturally in the process. Besides maybe another 1000km with the limited DLC events, I had to grind the rest. I could not do it naturally. So naturally I deleted the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Gaming as a whole is pointless, it's all about whether you enjoy it or not. I enjoy going after a challenge every now and then, which stems far before achievements even existed for me.

2-D platformers have changed tremendously since the old Nintendo days, and they're something I grew up loving.

I basically said I didn't come across anything that actually 'broke me'. Super Meat Boy followed by DOOM 2 have been the closest. I can be like anyone else and just play an average assortment of games. That to me is boring. I get satisfaction out of being one of a few. It's a passion of mine, and I'm fully aware that isn't for everybody, including yourself.

And as far as trying to say that I look at platinums as the "be all and end all", the stuff I have on Steam and GOG.com says otherwise. I've been gaming for 30 years, and only five of those years I have put trophy hunting as a hobby.

I've taken frequent breaks from trophy hunting, usually for a day or two if not more.

Didn't need your entire gaming background; that's irrelevant. My "pointless" comment was referring to you essentially making posts that goes against the thread title. My point is, if you feel the need to hop back in every time just to flex that no game/platinum has ever broken you then this thread isn't for you. We don't care. You should start a thread about "games that haven't broken you but have other people" or something. The flex in that sort of thread would be more appropriate. 

• Like 1

Not a trophy but the achievement that broke me was Low scorer from Spelunky. 

It was one of the first games I've had bought on steam, so it was a long time ago that I tackled this challenge, but seeing my time played of 130 hours I'm pretty sure 80 hours of that was spent trying to get this achievement.

I've bought the game on PS4 ready to try the challenge again and see how I do after all this time, but unfortunately the trophy doesn't exist on the PlayStation version. I guess I'll only be able to try when I get Spelunky 2.

On 9/13/2021 at 0:47 PM, Yamis1brother said:

After spending hundreds of hours in Black Ops 3 and finally getting the illusive 100%,  my boosting group was ready to

Other than that, the infamous "The Hunt is my mistress" DLC trophy from Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor has definitely tested my patience. I don't know what it is, but I can't do it. I have tried for well over 10 hours at this point and the one time I finished it, I got a bronze instead of the required gold. It's the only trophy I'm missing too for the 100%.

I just gave up and moved onto Shadow of war for the time being, but I hate that game too because of its god awful grind for act IV.

The Hunt is my Mistress was a pain, even with save scumming I think I finished my Gold run in the last 30 seconds possible,  I was  mentally and emotionally exhausted afterwards. 

They patched Shadow of War Act 4 so it is much easier and shorter now.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:36 AM, J_S_R_C_N said:

I’m a little embarrassed by mine but ??‍♂️ It was Batman Arkham Asylum for PS3. I beat the game on hard (which was a miserable experience, some of the maddest I’ve been at a game) and then went to do the combat challenges and I just couldn’t do it. I hated trying to perfect a combat system I didn’t like. I was miserable and finally said fuck it. After that I’ve been much less concerned about getting the platinum for every game I play. I still trophy hunt and will go for plats but not like I used to. 

Those Arkham games are seriously challenging to me. It wasn't until I started working on City's challenges that I was able to go back and Platinum Asylum. The Platinum and 100% for City and 100% for Knight are currently beyond me. The time commitment for me to try again is just not worth it right now. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Didn't need your entire gaming background; that's irrelevant. My "pointless" comment was referring to you essentially making posts that goes against the thread title. My point is, if you feel the need to hop back in every time just to flex that no game/platinum has ever broken you then this thread isn't for you. We don't care. You should start a thread about "games that haven't broken you but have other people" or something. The flex in that sort of thread would be more appropriate. 

If you didn't care you wouldn't of tried to make a stupid point about me not admitting that a game I've done broke me, more or less. The people who don't care about me mostly don't comment on anything I write anyway.

You simply read this and made stupid accusations. This was the comment I made two years ago:

On 4/4/2019 at 9:18 PM, AJ_Radio said:

None.

Most would pick Super Meat Boy because of it's difficulty, but I recently earned Girl Boy so it's only a matter of time before I get Impossible Boy.

Where did I make the flex? Nobody else made this point except yourself. I simply said "possibly Mighty No 9, but I haven't yet reached a game that really broke me. I must be lucky". Did you simply read the lines "I must be lucky" to just assume I came on here to purposely flex my accomplishments?

Up until this last page, I simply made a couple responses on this thread, glanced at all the other responses here, and moved on to other threads.

I already have a thread where I flex, and that is the thread I have on the Trophy Checklists subforum. If you want to make your own thread on there that's great, I encourage people who love trophy hunting to start their own threads so they can write their own experiences.

All you did @Vault-TecPhantom was try to take a jab at me, which I don't appreciate, and if you're trying to tell me my comments prior to you quoting the one I made regarding Mighty No 9 were comments that go against the thread title, then I don't know what to say.

Edited by AJ_Radio