How is RDR Online these days?

Dreakon13

Red Dead Online reminds me of South Park's parody of George R.R. Martin promising the dragons are on their way but only continues telling stories about penises glistening in the sun. This is what my wife and I gave up to play Final Fantasy XIV instead.

• Like 2

RDR 2’s single player ain’t no joke but the online counterpart is atrocious. The game was by far one of the best single player experiences that I’ve ever had and I had high hopes the online portion was going to be at least half decent given how much Rockstar devoted so much to GTA Online’s lifespan. Sure the online part of GTA V wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but it was fun and the updates were rolled up frequently and kept the game fun over the years. 

RDR 2 seems the complete opposite. It’s like they spent all their money and time focusing purely on the single player which was phenomenal for sure, but then hyped up online and it turned out to be a complete flop. Slapped on the beta title for damage control because the entire fan base was shitting on it and how lackluster it was, and that was that. Beautiful open world which was complemented by a deep single player story only to load up online and have it be the most content dry experience. 

I personally haven’t played the online section of it since it first released so I can’t give my full opinion on it now because I don’t know what it’s like but from reading stuff from others seems like it really hasn’t gotten better. 

Also sucks to know GTA Online is STILL making them more money than what RDR 2 is. They had 1 job with the multiplayer portion of their already masterpiece of a single player sequel, and they done goofed on it. MTX filled content dry bit of doo doo is all it is. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2019 at 3:51 AM, re-VELA-tion said:

It also doesn't help that Rockstar sets daily challenges which involve killing other players. I swear there's a new one every day.

Is this true? Can you curse on these forums? lol. Damn Mother-Fathers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGoaler said:

It's true. And yep, almost daily one of the challenges implied to "kill 5 enemies with 'insert weapon name here'". Maybe that will change now. There were 7 daily challenges before, now they reduced it to 4 and added weekly challenges which means to basically fullfil at least 1 challenge per day to accomplish the weekly ones.

• Like 1

Looks a hell of a lot different from when I last played in Feb, definitely be jumping back in. Especially now there's 25% bonus xp this week and gold bonuses.

Edited by Feral
Stupid zombie posting
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Feral said:

Looks a hell of a lot different to when I was played in Feb, definitely be jumping back in. Especially now there's 25% bonus xp this week and gold bonuses.

WHAT!

25% extra xp! I'm hitting that shit up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Feral said:

Yeah for all the showdowns, races, free roam missions, A Land of Opportunity (new story mission) and free roam events.

Hell yeah. Still need 25 or so more levels to reach 50. This will help the boring grind a little. 

25 minutes ago, reiner- said:

Hell yeah. Still need 25 or so more levels to reach 50. This will help the boring grind a little. 

Lol I'm in the same boat. Yeah definitely helps ease the slog. Should try out the new modes, apparently they're pretty good.

7 hours ago, TheGoaler said:

5 hours ago, Solid-Fisch said:

It's true. And yep, almost daily one of the challenges implied to "kill 5 enemies with 'insert weapon name here'". Maybe that will change now. There were 7 daily challenges before, now they reduced it to 4 and added weekly challenges which means to basically fullfil at least 1 challenge per day to accomplish the weekly ones.

This has been fixed in today's update. There are no longer challenges that require you to kill other players.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Feral said:

Looks a hell of a lot different from when I last played in Feb, definitely be jumping back in. Especially now there's 25% bonus xp this week and gold bonuses.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but you can play without a ps plus subscription until May 27th, starting today.

Source: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/05/14/red-dead-online-world-updates-new-missions-poker-and-the-road-ahead/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Feral said:

This has been fixed in today's update. There are no longer challenges that require you to kill other players.

Last night, after the update, there were still challenges for killing other players. I had one for killing multiple players within 5 seconds, and another for getting 5 player kills with a pistol. However, all of the kill challenges were for Free Roam Events, which you have to choose to join, so they're not in the regular free roam. 

Edited by NeilBefore_ZOD

59 minutes ago, NeilBefore_ZOD said:

Last night, after the update, there were still challenges for killing other players. I had one for killing multiple players within 5 seconds, and another for getting 5 player kills with a pistol. However, all of the kill challenges were for Free Roam Events, which you have to choose to join, so they're not in the regular free roam. 

The guys I quoted were talking about Daily Challenges.

I suppose since you have to opt in for those events Rockstar decided to leave them because you have a choice whether to do them or not.

On 5/15/2019 at 9:46 AM, Feral said:

The guys I quoted were talking about Daily Challenges.

I suppose since you have to opt in for those events Rockstar decided to leave them because you have a choice whether to do them or not.

Right, there are still "kill other player" daily challenges, but they are not in the free roam itself, only in free roam events that you can choose to join. I should have been more clear about what I meant. 

Overall, I think the changes have sligthly improved the experience in free roam, but now it seems since this latest patch my game crashes an awful lot. I've even deleted and reinstalled the game, and it's still happening.

On 5/14/2019 at 4:45 PM, MidnightDragon said:

I am curious to see how it is now that it's out of beta...but I'm not in any rush. xD 

It's gotten better. But I wouldn't consider it anything else other than Beta. Just recently, new missions for Sadie Adler and Black Belle became available. However, when you go to the location of the missions, you can't enter their houses. Meaning, you can't do the missions period. Other stranger missions are also bugged, where you can approach them, but no mission can be accepted. And then there's the showdown series...everytime you try to get into one, you get stuck with an infinite loading screen. 

However, the random pedestrians in need of help missions are a very welcome addition to the game.

4 minutes ago, jackmadrox said:

It's gotten better. But I wouldn't consider it anything else other than Beta. Just recently, new missions for Sadie Adler and Black Belle became available. However, when you go to the location of the missions, you can't enter their houses. Meaning, you can't do the missions period. Other stranger missions are also bugged, where you can approach them, but no mission can be accepted. And then there's the showdown series...everytime you try to get into one, you get stuck with an infinite loading screen. 

The stranger missions not starting has been a constant problem. 

• Like 1