Death Stranding - Release Date Reveal Trailer (2019)

ziggypossum

From PS Blog

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/05/29/death-stranding-available-november-8-on-ps4/

A special message from Hideo Kojima:

People have created “Walls” and become accustomed to living in isolation.

“Death Stranding” is a completely new type of action game, where the goal of the player is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. It is created so that all elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of the “Strand” or connection. As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to bridge the divides in society, and in doing create new bonds or “Strands” with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you’ll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others.

Now, please enjoy the latest Death Stranding trailer.

• Like 4

I actually quite enjoyed the trailer, but something feels slightly "off" about it. The gameplay itself looks incredibly average, the melee combat animations in particular looked very clunky, and the story seems a bit too melodramatic, bordering on pretentious. MGS got away with it because of the humour and action-y set pieces, but this seems to be doubling down on the "arthouse" vibe, especially when you look at the cast he's put together (Seydoux, Mikkelsen - and NICOLAS WINDING REFN? wtf)

I also doubt we'll see another proper gameplay trailer until just before launch - I still don't get what the hell you're supposed to be doing, but it vaguely seems like some kind of open world action-adventure narrative like most of the other PS4 exclusives.

There's definitely a "story" here, but I'm still not convinced we're getting much of a "game".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

just getting the base edition.

apparently this release will cause last of us 2 to delay from October until feb 2020. 

should be an alright game.

Yeah, still unsure between normal and deluxe (digital), the extra stuff doesn't really wow me for the extra $20.

• Like 1

So since we have the release date now, is it too much Kojima for some more Gameplay footage 

3 hours ago, HaserPL said:

Maybe I'm too stupid, or my gaming taste is seriously messed up, but I can't understand hype and excitement this games gets.

I assume the hype is because Kojima is doing it

I really wasn’t expecting this to be released so soon, I’d have put money on it being 2020/2021 realistically. 

I don’t know what to think of it from the trailer, so confusing but blumin’ brilliant looking. That extending ladder alone made me giddy with excitement! 

I’ll be picking this up for sure at some point, perhaps not right at launch though. Perhaps I’ll ask Santa to pop this on his sleigh for me ?

Kojima has let me down with his work outside the Metal Gear idiom before... hell, even within it he's hardly infallible. I don't particularly care about it either way until--or unless--certain parties of interest show any indication of its superlativity, if any.

And each trailer just helps to cement my confusion. ? But hey, it's a Kojima game. The guy is a genius, or so a lot of people say, so he must really know what he is doing there.

From a distance, you can see the game looks technically impressive and very, eh, thought-provoking too. Not really sure what it is all about but I'll be looking forward to reading a bit more on what people and players think of it once it releases fully. :) 

• Like 1

I'm hyped but don't know what for lol... Because of Kojima maybe? I believe he will not disappoint us and because no one really knows what the game is about or what is the story behind it, it does't mean it will be stupid or unenjoyable game... Kojima has done something like this before, and we are baffled, which was Kojima's intent.

• Like 1