Worth Purchasing Vita Still?

RealCheato

In total on the train to and from work, I get almost 2 hours a day on Vita, maybe even more. I play it more than my PS4. Nearly 10 hours a week for the past 7 years.s Vita is awesome. I have two, might buy a third now they aren't making them anymore.

If I didn't have a Vita already, I would get one. There are a decent selection of JRPGs for it... not just the Vita's own, but the PS1 and PSP have some good ones also. I do prefer to play Trails of Cold Steel I and II or Tokyo Xanadu on a PS4, but the Vita versions are pretty good for portable ones.

I would've liked to see Ys Napishtim and Felghana re-ported to Vita for better graphics and frame rate. The port of Ys Origin on Vita could have used some more optimisation, though it is playable.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would say a Vita is definitely still worth getting. I've had mine since launch, and I was rather surprised recently to discover I had played more games on it, and poured more time into it than my 3DS, which I've had for longer. I still have a pretty sizeable backlog for it it, most of which are just digital PSP games now, but I still have a handful of Vita games to get through.

The Vita is probably one of my favourite handhelds I've ever owned, the d-pad is great, the analogue sticks are great, the size is great for portability, etc. etc. I even bought a new slim model from Japan earlier this year in case my old fatty ever dies beyond repair for me. It's still holding out fine though, it doesn't hold charge quite as long as it used to, but I still get about 3-5 hours out of it each full charge depending on what I'm playing.

A lot of games that used to be Vita exclusives have since been ported to PS4 and/or PC, so I can understand why some people might think it's not worth getting any more if exclusives are a big deciding factor for you. That being said, it still has plenty of exclusives, and unlike a lot of handhelds it doesn't get uncomfortable to use or cramp your hands after extended use (at least in my experience), so I think it's a pretty viable gaming system whether you're playing it outside your house or not. I definitely think it's a much better handheld than the Switch, which I just find too big and clunky to take outside the house with me. I've barely ever used mine in handheld mode.

My only complaints with the Vita would be the rear touchpad, which thankfully not many games use anyway, but it made it awkward to play some games as a result. I'm also not a fan of where the speakers are placed, as I've often found myself accidentally covering them with my thumbs a lot. Also, the memory cards. They were way too expensive, and had insane failure rates (especially the 64gb one I hear). Thankfully my 32gb card has never had issues, but I don't understand why Sony didn't opt for just using standard SD cards like the 3DS does. I think the memory cards were definitely one of the nails in the coffin for the Vita, sadly.

I wouldn't worry about them shutting down the online. As far as I know, PSN is the same on PS3, PS4 and Vita, so I can't imagine them shutting down part of PSN just for the PS3 and Vita. I don't it costs them anything to keep the servers running for them, and I believe PS Now may use the same "PSN"/servers as the PS3 for unlocking trophies while playing PS3 games, but don't quote me on this. If anything, they may just shut down the store for the Vita at some point, which they did for the PSP, but you can still buy PSP games on the store, you just have to do it on the desktop website instead nowadays.

As for trophies, the PS Vita has loads of games with pretty easily obtainable platinums. It has a lot of visual novels, if you're into those, which almost all have very easy plats. I'd obviously suggest looking into what games the Vita has and making a list of which games you think you'd be interested in before buying one though.

• Like 4

I only bought the Vita for Danganronpa originally but that got remade for the PS4, same with a lot of other games so if you're after exclusivity I would check if its possible they'd get remakes first but for laying in bed not feeling like playing PS4 the Vita is a perfect device. I rarely play it but I'm still happy I got it. 

I mean I love my vita. I have 3 of them and a vita tv for when they inevitably become too expensive. I highly suggest it not only for trophies but the remote play is decent and there are plenty if great games on it. Unfortunately I have too many Japanese vita games and Google translate on menues cam be a pain lol.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 11:41 AM, Aggreshun said:

Hello, I am relatively new to trophy hunting and I currently only have a ps4 pro. My current job is extremely laid back and has constant downtime and I was thinking about purchasing a Vita to earn some trophies while I sit here. I read that sony has stopped producing them which I am fine with, but I don't want to sink $100 into it if they will be shutting down online at all so I can't earn any trophies. What do you guys think?

I think it depends on what you are buying it for. As far as the library of games goes it is good but not great. The Vita was a wonderful piece of technology but it just couldn't compete with other handhelds and mobile devices and therefore it wasn't supported as well in terms of software. However, in my situation I am away from my PS4 a lot both in terms of my job but also my life and so I decided to buy a Vita so that I could continue to earn trophies. I think that how Sony handles PS Now and PS5 may change up a lot in terms of mobile Playstation devices.

i play on my vita occasionally on the train

problem is the thing has a stick drift issue, ive had to replace the right analog stick twice already even though i dont use the vita much (mine is a slim model)

so beware of that, it's a common issue and kinda frustrating but it's easy to replace it yourself

i dont see any issues with the online portion...i believe even psp still has online functionality. so i dont see how syncing trophies is going to be an issue any time soon. im not really a trophy hunter myself but i know it has a lot of japanese VNs that are easy plats for those interested

some decent games on vita, most are visual novels and anime stuff though but im glad i have it even if mainly for ninja gaiden sigma plus and muramasa rebirth alone, those are amazing games, other games i play on it are nice too

Edited by MeteoraXV

• 4 months later...
On 7-8-2019 at 8:53 PM, Helmet_time said:

The Vita is pretty handy for earning trophies when you're out of the house.  Plus, depending on your internet connection at home and at work there is the possibility of remote play, which means you can get through the PS4 games faster too. 

Wait, you're saying that you can connect the PS4 to the Vita? Like if I want to game in bed, I can just put my PS4 screen to my Vita?

17 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Wait, you're saying that you can connect the PS4 to the Vita? Like if I want to game in bed, I can just put my PS4 screen to my Vita?

Yup, it's the remote play feature. You can use your cell phone and a DS4 for remote play as well, but the Vita is obviously a lot more convenient.

1 minute ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

Yup, it's the remote play feature. You can use your cell phone and a DS4 for remote play as well, but the Vita is obviously a lot more convenient.

I did not know about this. I play many hours a day on a chair and get back pains so I thought a Vita would be a solution to rest a bit in bed and still play but most Vita games don't really interest me besides the visual novels. I don't necessarily want internet connection outside, so should I have to buy a Vita with WiFi? I was actually going to drop this but knowing it has Remote Play, it certainly got my interest back again. I don't know where to safely buy it from though...

22 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

I did not know about this. I play many hours a day on a chair and get back pains so I thought a Vita would be a solution to rest a bit in bed and still play but most Vita games don't really interest me besides the visual novels. I don't necessarily want internet connection outside, so should I have to buy a Vita with WiFi? I was actually going to drop this but knowing it has Remote Play, it certainly got my interest back again. I don't know where to safely buy it from though...

I'm getting mine from a classic game store.  The ones on Amazon and Ebay are pretty high in price in comparison to prices people have been saying they've bought theirs at.  I'll have a nice 30 day return window too!

2 minutes ago, FFATMA said:

I'm getting mine from a classic game store.  The ones on Amazon and Ebay are pretty high in price in comparison to prices people have been saying they've bought theirs at.  I'll have a nice 30 day return window too!

The ones I find on Amazon usually cost between €100-130. Can the Vita's from Amazon etc. be fake?

i just got a vita last month finally. there is pretty much nothing new being made for it. i had a big backlog of ps plus vita games but most of them werent stackable. i usually play it when im taking a shit. i got one from a local game store for $120 and plus i had to buy the memory card which was extra. i connected it to my ps3 and imported all my mp3s and usually walk around the house with my vita when im cleaning to listen to music. the battery lasts a pretty long time. framerate is pretty bad on alot of games causing crashing issues. if i was a kid still i would love it for car trips, or maybe plane trips as a adult. the analog sticks feel like they are going to break sometimes which worries me. some games are alot harder to play on vita. take color slayer for example. that game is a boring grind as it is, on vita its worse because it stutters and you die isntantly. you can save videos inside it and pictures. sort of like a mini ps3. why the price is so friggen high i have no clue. my friend who passed away use to buy and sell things. he always had vitas he would only pay 40 to 60$ for them and they were in great condition. use craigslist or fb marketplace. odds are there are a ton of moms or parents selling them because their kids barely used them and grew up.

Edited by melodicmizery

• 2 weeks later...

To be completely honest, I regret buying my Vita. I bought it a few years back to play one of my favorite game franchises. After that, I think I have played a total of 3 games on it. I feel like it was a waste of money. It's hard to find physical games and I hate downloading games for it because there is no room on the thing unless I want to dump more money on bigger memory cards.