ABC of Unstarted Games 2020 (Sign-Ups Closed)

Welcome along @Together_Comic!

It's all for fun matey, whether we succeed or not. As has been mentioned, 27 completions in 1 year would practically double my current tally - just to give you some idea of what a challenge I'm setting for myself, personally.

Unfortunately I couldn't get your list to expand.. Mind posting it outside of a spoiler?

Edited by iXanon
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2019 at 1:04 PM, iXanon said:

Welcome along @Together_Comic!

It's all for fun matey, whether we succeed or not. As has been mentioned, 27 completions in 1 year would practically double my current tally - just to give you some idea of what a challenge I'm setting for myself, personally.

Unfortunately I couldn't get your list to expand.. Mind posting it outside of a spoiler?

A - Abzu

B - Batman Arkham Asylum

C - Crash 3: Warped

D - Darksiders

E – Everspace  

F - Final Fantasy VIII

G - God of War II 

H - Hollow Knight

I -   InFamous

J - J Star Victory Vs+

K - Kings Quest: Complete Edition

L - L.A. Noire

M - Metronoicon Slay the Dance Floor, The 

N – Ni No Kuni

O - Outer Worlds, The 

P - Puppeteer 

Q - Q.U.B.E. Directors Cut

R - Rez Infinite 

S – Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

T - Tetraminos (Completed Jan/5/2020)

U - Ultratron

V - Velocity Ultra 

W - Wargroove

X - Xenodrifter

Y - Yooka-Laylee

Z - Zero Escape: The Nonary Games 

Backups 

Eat Them 

Spec Ops the Line 

Dragon Age Inquisition

Edited by Together_Comic
  • Like 3

@ArtikSkarab just flagging a couple of changes to my list:

19/11/19 - Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) (EU) (PS4) swapped for Naughty Bear (PS3), Human: Fall Flat (PS4) swapped for Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3). Penalty game added for second non-letter swap Splinter Cell: Blacklist (PS3).

17/10/19 - Black Mirror (PS3) swapped for Brink (PS3)

17 hours ago, blu3st4rdust305 said:

Quick question that did not seem yet confirmed based on a search: Can LEGO be considered a prefix that can be dropped?

I'd like to think I've been pretty lenient concerning this, but as I disallowed 'Marvel' as a prefix, I'm going to disallow 'LEGO' for the same reason - you wouldn't search for the game without using LEGO (or you'd make life much harder for yourself if you did!).

Sorry if it's not the answer you were hoping for ?

Edited by iXanon
  • Like 1

The only rule I'm not in love with is that we can't change our picks once the year has started. A lot can happen in a year. New releases may get pushed back, DLC may come out, sales on certain games may or may not happen, and individual interests may change. I'm just going to post my preliminary list for now. These are all games I already own (except the ones in red) and plan to get to someday, so it kinda eliminates some of the guesswork. If I get to any of these games in 2019 or see something else on sale I really want, I'll update this list by December 31.

A - Atelier Ryza

B - Bastion

C - Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy!

D - Deponia Doomsday

E - 

F - Flinthook

G - Goodbye Deponia

H - Hollow Knight

I - Impact Winter

J - Jotun

K - Kingdom Hearts 2

L - Lumo

M - Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

N - N.E.R.O.

O - Oxenfree

P - Persona 5

Q - Quest of Dungeons

R - Resident Evil 2

S - Sundered

T - Transistor

U - Uncanny Valley

V - Valkyria Revolution

W - Wizard of Legend

X - Xenon Valkyrie+

Y - Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Z - Zero Time Dilemma

I know E is empty. I'm up for recommendations. I've already played Everybody's Golf and the only Enigmatis game I want.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard Cassy! You name and list have been added to the spreadsheet.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

The only rule I'm not in love with is that we can't change our picks once the year has started. A lot can happen in a year. New releases may get pushed back, DLC may come out, sales on certain games may or may not happen, and individual interests may change.

I totally get what you're saying, but I see it differently. With the fact that we have a rigid list of games that we put down, we're saying that we'll take the time and effort to go through and actually try to complete and clear up a bit of our backlog/wishlist games. I personally always had trouble to go through and complete games, but participating in community events has rectified that a lot. I get that sometimes, a game becomes a slog to go through, but being able to complete them makes the victory feel even better. At least.. that's how I see it.

On 25/11/2019 at 2:04 PM, iXanon said:

This is an important message for everyone. It's totally understandable that not everyone will be able to go through every single game on their list and that's fine. Not everyone has enough gaming time to go through an average of 1 game every 2 weeks. Life goes on and tons of stuff can happen. But don't feel bad if you don't make it. It's a self-imposed challenge between 30ish people in a forum on the internet. Big deal!

Spreadsheet should be up to date; feel free to tag me if you notice anything that needs to change, I do not mind. Will probably put out some statistics when a higher percentage of the lists are compiled.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ArtikSkarab said:

I totally get what you're saying, but I see it differently. With the fact that we have a rigid list of games that we put down, we're saying that we'll take the time and effort to go through and actually try to complete and clear up a bit of our backlog/wishlist games. I personally always had trouble to go through and complete games, but participating in community events has rectified that a lot. I get that sometimes, a game becomes a slog to go through, but being able to complete them makes the victory feel even better. At least.. that's how I see it.

Right. It requires a bit of a different philosophy than most other community events.

I think the problem some people are going to have is that they may have multiple games in mind for certain letters, so being locked into a particular choice may have the opposite effect as intended. For example, I put down Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon as my C. I'd also like to play Child of Light and Children of Zodiarcs. If I'm never in the mood to play Chocobo's -- and neither of the others will count for this event -- then aren't I more likely to leave this blank? Isn't it better to allow players to focus on ANY game from their backlog, so long as it fits the alphabet criteria?

One thing I think is interesting about this event is that there are several letters that I have zero games in mind for. Yeah, I put some choices down, but am I really going to want to play Uncanny Valley or Valkyria Revolution? I don't know. I did a bit of research on them, but I'm not sure how I'll feel next November or December. On the other hand, if I'm nearly done with the alphabet and just have U and V left, maybe I'll have that extra incentive to go out there and find a game on sale or from my deep, deep backlog.

If I could make a suggestion, what if players may commit to either the game on their list OR the first game they begin in 2020 with that letter? For example, I have Chocobo's listed for C, but I decide to play Child of Light instead. As long as I haven't started Chocobo's, that's OK. I'm still working on a game from my backlog. But I can't just play Chocobo's for a few hours, decide I don't like it, and switch my pick to Child of Light. That will prevent people from beginning a bunch of games they won't finish, but it allows them the freedom to swap their picks if something looks more appealing at the time.

Just some food for thought. I know it's supposed to be a laid-back event, but the length of it, the number of games involved, and the rigidness of the rules may scare off some members.

• Like 3

I have been pondering the "no swap during challenge" rule.. ?

My original thought was the whole not knowing what game(s) to play/start thing, but let's say for example if the multiplayer part of a game had a shutdown announcement, I'd want to be able to weigh up whether or not to still tackle it or not, as it'll inevitably be tougher than anticipated.

I'll update people as soon as I can on this, but feel free to share your thoughts (and thanks to those who have already).

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I know E is empty. I'm up for recommendations. I've already played Everybody's Golf and the only Enigmatis game I want.

Earthworm Jim HD

Echochrome

Extreme Exorcism

39 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, I put some choices down, but am I really going to want to play Uncanny Valley or Valkyria Revolution? I don't know. I did a bit of research on them, but I'm not sure how I'll feel next November or December.

If I could make a suggestion, what if players may commit to either the game on their list OR the first game they begin in 2020 with that letter? 

You are not going to want to play Valkyria Revolution. Part of the challenge is knowing how you will feel about certain games in 11 months and enduring the bad choices you make. I hope your list is full of games you would enjoy.  

I like your suggestion. Having the first game you play of a letter, gives you options and still requires to commit to a choice. It's not what I choose to do but it's okay to let others have that option. 

45 minutes ago, iXanon said:

I have been pondering the "no swap during challenge" rule.. 1f914.png

My original thought was the whole not knowing what game(s) to play/start thing, but let's say for example if the multiplayer part of a game had a shutdown announcement, I'd want to be able to weigh up whether or not to still tackle it or not, as it'll inevitably be tougher than anticipated.

I don't like swaps, under most circumstances. If a multiplayer component of game stopped functioning and made 100% impossible, a swap wouldn't bother me.

If I was running the event, I would use these rules for swaps & the like. You get 1 free no questions asked swap. Once you use it, it's gone forever. You may have unlimited swaps for games that get impossible to 100% trophy lists. You would be required to explain why it is impossible. You're not allowed to delete or add games once the event starts.

I would also like to suggest having an award for not using any game swaps, if game swaps become a thing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iXanon said:

I have been pondering the "no swap during challenge" rule.. 1f914.png

I'll update people as soon as I can on this, but feel free to share your thoughts (and thanks to those who have already).

I think maybe like the backlog challenge one, allowing an amount of swaps throughout the event would be a good way to go. Obviously you have to swap for a game of the same letter with it being an ABC challenge ??

• Like 1

Given that the rules have been open for discussion for 3 months with no mention of swaps during the challenge, I'm going to leave things as is for 2020.

However, if a trophy does become unobtainable let me know, and if I can verify it the game can be swapped. If a server shutdown is announced, you should still try to complete this game if possible.

This may change in future if people want the challenge to run again after next year (I may want a bit of a break if I manage 27 completions, personally!)..

• Like 1

"If you do not have any unstarted games for a letter, you may have 1 FREE swap from ANY letter

You MAY opt to replace any letter even if you have games available for a given letter

Any further swaps will COST you 2 games of ANY letter in it's place - they do not have to be from the same letter

If you have swapped / replaced more than 5 letters, you must add 1 FURTHER game (total) in addition to any existing penalties (same rules)"

Because of the above rule, we aren't even forced to stick to the specific letters, since we can opt for using the swaps for those, increasing the liberty of choise for the games, in my opinion, would kill the challenge, since I see it as a challenge not just to complete the alphabet, but also to complete the games that you commit to by making the list. 

Also, 5 free swaps in a 27 games list isn't that bad either (if people would continue to think that's to little, make it 9, so, we can swap 1/3rd of the games, but I don't think that it should be changed).

I would also add a line to this rule stating that swaps for major reasons (glitched trophies, servers closed, games delayed) do not count as free swap uses, for the "free swap counter". 

I say this being fully aware that the likelihood of me completing my list is near 0 (due to lack of time and FF7R and P5R likely taking the majority of my ps4 play time as soon as they are released..).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Also, 5 free swaps in a 27 games list isn't that bad either (if people would continue to think that's to little, make it 9, so, we can swap 1/3rd of the games, but I don't think that it should be changed).

I would also add a line to this rule stating that swaps for major reasons (glitched trophies, servers closed, games delayed) do not count as free swap uses, for the "free swap counter". 

I say this being fully aware that the likelihood of me completing my list is near 0 (due to lack of time and FF7R and P5R likely taking the majority of my ps4 play time as soon as they are released..).

There's only 1 free swap in a list of 26?

Any further swaps require +1 game to be added, with another +1 if a 6th swap is used (worded as "more than 5").

Edited by iXanon

3 minutes ago, iXanon said:

There's only 1 free swap in a list of 26?

Any further swaps require +1 game to be added, with another +1 if a 6th swap is used (worded as "more than 5").

Ok, then maybe increase it for 5 free, then add the penalty only for the 6th?

That should give people enough freedom without really taking the challenge out of the event. I think..

Edit: as for the 27 games, I guess that's more a thing for a few of us thay are counting # as a required entry, even if it's not a mandatory one.. 

I really need a sale on that Shibuya game.. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 1

Again, I'm reluctant to change things too much at this stage if at all possible, though I'm happy to listen to feedback should the event run again ?

I know it's not going to make those "sitting out" want to sign up, but likewise I don't want to change the game too much for those who have signed up and have been involved with shaping the rules as they stand. As has been mentioned, part of the challenge is putting a list of games together and sticking to it once the event starts.

Looking at your list @Han_the_Dragon, I'll be super impressed if you manage to finish your list - I look forward to seeing what progress you make!

5 hours ago, iXanon said:

Again, I'm reluctant to change things too much at this stage if at all possible, though I'm happy to listen to feedback should the event run again 1f642.png

I know it's not going to make those "sitting out" want to sign up, but likewise I don't want to change the game too much for those who have signed up and have been involved with shaping the rules as they stand. As has been mentioned, part of the challenge is putting a list of games together and sticking to it once the event starts.

Looking at your list @Han_the_Dragon, I'll be super impressed if you manage to finish your list - I look forward to seeing what progress you make!

Ya, that's why I tried to give a middle ground suggestion. 

For better or for worse, I will stick by my list and my rules (as I mentioned a few times, FF7R and P5R are my most looking forward games on 2020, and will definitely play and at least plat P5R during 2020, I may save FF7R from 300 plat, since MediEvil will be 225 and FF8 250, but I'm still far away, and will not use either on the event). 

Still waiting for a couple sales, that hopefully I will find during black friday (Shibuya, Ys VIII vita, Valkyria Revolution vita, Black Clover.. ).. And still hating any and all Z options (since I have played Zero Escape and Zone of Endes, and don't want double plats in those 2 series...). Zenith is looking like my best option, other than the Zombie Driver HD, but none feel right.. 

And thanks, I will be curious to see my own progress myself (specially when I already had forgotten that I entered Faery in this event and put it up for another December event..). 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 2

Well, I for one can't wait. There's only 1 game that's on sale now, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, but I'm sure it will be on sale multiple times next year as I want to complete the games I have on my list first before I buy it. I might change my PS3 Catherine to Full Body Catherine (PS4). I'm not sure. I'll have to do my research to see if the PS3 version is easier than the PS4 one. Other than that, I haven't felt the need to change or add anything to my list. I read that there might be some more deals this Friday on PSN, so I'll wait and see.

• Like 2

Ok , I think I have the final draft of my list. There should be enough variation to keep me going.

I've changed the games for the letters mentioned below. 

Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered

Sega Bass fishing
Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner

I also swapped XCOM out for 2 games since I've already used Medal of Honor Frontline for the letter Q as I don't have any games starting with that letter

XDeadlight: Director's Cut

XSubject 13

• Like 1

@gazdavis11 @Sofa King @Neocarleen @Matto_lsi @SupergiantStarr @Lorajet @Cassylvania

Apologies if you've already advised you're waiting until BF / Xmas sales to post a list (it would have taken more time than I have available to check).

Just thought I would give you a nudge.. ?

Edited by iXanon