I'm done with trophy hunting

EdwardTheMartyr

I understand where you're coming from. I've also fallen victim to having trophies dictate part of my life, in that I would look up the trophy list/ guide of a game I'd be interested in but if the trophies seemed too hard or unable for me to do I would skip the game entirely. I was also a lot more driven and willing to allocate a lot of my time to hunting trophies back when I was younger and didn't have as many responsibilities as I do now. The solution I found was to just become extremely casual with trophies. Loom at them once in a while, and not worry or care if I can get the plat or 100%. I don't have too much time for video games anymore (well I do have some time now thanks to current events) so I just choose to enjoy the games I want and look at the trophies as a little extra, rather than mandatory. My goal is to at least B or A rank games instead of S rank/plat them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EdwardTheMartyr said:

I had a lot of fun hunting trophies there for a while, but I'm done. I've turned off trophy notifications and will likely avoid looking at trophies in future games.

I've been playing PC games and want to play more retro PlayStation and Nintendo games. Furthermore, I have a massive backlog of games I wanna play, and trophy hunting has seriously hampered my ability to get through my backlog. I only have a limited time in this life, so I'd rather spend that time playing games for fun and reading books than grinding trophies that only make me feel stressed out. When I was hunting trophies, I would think about them even while at work. Since stopping, I've felt much better.

feel you man,,, trophy hunting is like a sickness of getting them all but the way I look at it its my hobby..... ppl have to do it moderation such has everything else and not abuse in a way to get in the way of social life...... so in my opinion maybe should take some time off then come back...at the end of the day it is a hobby alot of ppl enjoy

• Like 2

I did the same thing a couple years ago. And I was able to make it through my backlog because of it, and I've been playing more games on other consoles. I still trophy hunt sometimes, but only in games I really like and when I want an excuse to keep playing after beating it.

• Like 1

I tend to do it on games I really really like these days and not on first playthrough most of the time. I'm a "sometimes trophy hunter".lol I think that keeps me from thinking about it. I will not hesitate to leave a small percentage on the board of a game and won't force myself especially if I don't like the game.

Edited by AlphaExGAT
  • Like 2

I'm a casual hunter, I try all games that I come across and only go for the plat for games I really enjoy, like the Hitman series, Fallout and Far Cry. Just enjoy the games for what they are and if you really dig it and want to 100% it, go for it, don't feel pressure to do it because it's there. Good luck, dude!

• Like 1

That's understandable, you should keep balance between fun and hunting trophies (or combining fun factor with trophy hunt). I never understood playing specifically for gaining trophies, even I did bought some games to get trophies from them, but main reason were always to play game again. Like one dude said "If its not fun, why bother?".

Good luck pal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlphaExGAT said:

I tend to do it on games I really really like these days and not on first playthrough most of the time. I'm a "sometimes trophy hunter".lol I think that keeps me from thinking about it. I will not hesitate to leave a small percentage on the board of a game and won't force myself especially if I don't like the game.

That sounds like a good strategy. I'll 100% games unless there's a ridiculously grindy/boring trophy.

I can't say you did it for too long, 2697 trophies with an average of earning three trophies a day, you do the math.

I got too much stuff I want to get done before I just say to hell with trophy hunting and retire, so I'll be sticking around for the next several months at the very least. I can't really see myself investing time on the PlayStation 5 unless Sony does something that really impresses me. Honestly I got more than enough crap on the PS3, Vita and PS4, and there are some good games out there I'm still interested in buying.

Occasionally I take a break and play some old strategy games off of Steam. I play purely for fun on that platform, Steam Achievements are completely worthless and pointless. I've played more games that had no achievement system than ones that did, so if trophy hunting does burn me too much I can just go back and play a old strategy game like Civilization IV or SimCity 4, always relaxes me.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

How about you just stop playing games specifically for trophies and only get trophies in games you like? That's what I do, most however play games they don't enjoy or grind out trophies for no satisfaction.

A lot of good games have painfully boring trophies. I'll go for trophies if the game is otherwise lacking in an end goal.