What makes trophy hunting so addictive?

RedDead3001

23 minutes ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I think what he meant was, only Americans think its heroic cause a lot of other countries its mandatory (There's like 26 countries where its mandatory) and it's a normal thing that everyone has to go through. 

It's just cultural differences. 

And Neputyunu we're patriotic cause of the past. We drafted people for WW2, Korean War and Vietnam. When Vietnam vets came back they were spat on, cursed at, etc. For people who shouldnt have been drafted in the first place, who committed horrible atrocities in the Vietnam war. But the blame was placed at the wrong people and America learned their mistakes. Now we appreciate and support our troops who volunteer. To let them know not to give up hope and we love them so keep fighting till they come home. 

I couldn't said it better.

1 hour ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

I think what he meant was, only Americans think its heroic cause a lot of other countries its mandatory (There's like 26 countries where its mandatory) and it's a normal thing that everyone has to go through. 

If that’s the case then fair enough, I got the wrong end of the stick. We in the UK also don’t have national service so I didn’t consider this.

• Like 1

Honestly...

1. Because it looks and sounds way better than the "bleh" Steam achievements feel like.

and 2. Honestly  it's  because of the other players(the polite ones at least). Doing this by  myself is one thing, but when you have other people who go for the same game/compete in events and so on, I don't know...it  feels way more fun. Besides the "wow you completed game/franchise X? Damn I completed that game too, it was so fun" feeling is kinda nice, not gonna lie.

So I guess...the graphics and the community? xD One thing is for sure,if it wasn't for trophies and this site in particular, I wouldn't  have found so many awesome games.

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, RedDead3001 said:

I also feel the same exact way proud especially when I overcome a very hard trophy.

Yes exactly and thats why i don't like nintendo they doesn't make efforts to add a trophy function and ppl still buy the console because they don't care about trophies.

I like the system a whole lot better than Xbox Achievements. It's far more satisfying to see a Bronze trophy added to your collection rather than just 10g getting lost in a bigger number. I used to make a habit of thoroughly completing games when I was younger, but Xbox achievements kinda broke that habit in me. Trophies brought it back. Sure, looking at my trophies I haven't done a whole lot that's truly taxing or overly impressive but I'm glad to be getting the most out of my games again.

Is trophy hunting that addictive? 

Personally I'm a completionist, and while trophies did made me play games that otherwise I would easily skip, it's rarely my end game objective.. Most of the time is simply a side effect of me liking to play games. 

(yes, I know that there's an increasing group of people that just play anything and everything for trophies, don't caring at all for the games, and yes, my trophy count may make others think that I just play for trophies, but really is really just a huge side effect of 11+ years of quite active gaming). 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 1

I only get a platinum if I really like the game, and kinda want to show people how much I appreciate the game. Might take me a while but if I like the game a lot I will get the platinum. That's why it annoys me when people tell me to finally get 100% in heavy rain, uncharted 3 or nfs, hell to the no. 

• Like 1

I agree with everyone that its good to look back and enjoy the accomplishments i have done in 10 years. This website makes it more addictive by doing a fantastic job of the stats and leaderboards and how it showcases your personal achievements and everyone elses. 

One downside is that trophies have got in the way occasionaly that as put me off of games like Monsterhunter world, witcher 3 and skyrim because of the trophies been grindy or a pain to achieve

• Like 1

When I first started my trophy hunting journey back in 2011, I did not know anything about the concept of trophies. Coming straight out of PS2 & PC gaming, trophies were new to me. Back when I started, I was playing between Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3, & COD4: Modern Warfare. During this time, I had thought that trophies were in-game rewards developers implemented onto their games. However, being somewhat partially true, I had no clue that trophies were universal for all PS3 games post 2008. Once I found this out approximately 6 months to 1 year later, something inside of me said, "How about I challenge myself to get all the trophies in the games I have & will obtain." Ever since I was successful in doing this with Mirror's Edge as my first platinum, I felt like I achieved something honorary in gaming hobby. That 1st platinum sound was something I could never forget and would love to rewind the clock to experience again. 

I had became so addicted that I burned myself out by 2016 & 2017. It was not until 2018 - present that I have learned that trophy hunting is something that you should do at your own pace, your own personal gain, and for your experience. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SonicChaos74 said:

When I first started my trophy hunting journey back in 2011, I did not know anything about the concept of trophies. Coming straight out of PS2 & PC gaming, trophies were new to me. Back when I started, I was playing between Mirror's Edge, Fallout 3, & COD4: Modern Warfare. During this time, I had thought that trophies were in-game rewards developers implemented onto their games. However, being somewhat partially true, I had no clue that trophies were universal for all PS3 games post 2008. Once I found this out approximately 6 months to 1 year later, something inside of me said, "How about I challenge myself to get all the trophies in the games I have & will obtain." Ever since I was successful in doing this with Mirror's Edge as my first platinum, I felt like I achieved something honorary in gaming hobby. That 1st platinum sound was something I could never forget and would love to rewind the clock to experience again. 

I had became so addicted that I burned myself out by 2016 & 2017. It was not until 2018 - present that I have learned that trophy hunting is something that you should do at your own pace, your own personal gain, and for your experience. 

Very true. When my 360 broke in 2009 i was sharing a ps3 with my bro with seperate accounts. It was all about cod in them days and then i started playing different games and a little notication kept popping up. Its a trophy my brother said. What the f#cks that for i replied. 

Then i remember playing sleeping dogs and getting quite addicted to it and more and more trophies kept popping with that amazing little ping. So i thought i would check my progress and i only needed 2 trophies for the plat. The rest is history

Edited by dannyswfc9
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Then i remember playing sleeping dogs and getting quite addicted to it and more trophies kept popping. So i thought i would check my progress and i only needed 2 trophies for the plat. The rest is history

I think getting platinum is, in a way, a healthier addiction than just alcohol or other drugs. I understand that at some moments of getting platinum you could fall into alcoholism (fucking challenges in BF1: D) or get a heart attack or commit an act of terror, but we all know that the end result pleases us with :platinum: and rewards us in the right way. I assume that many of us remember their first platinum, no matter how long ago it took place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baranov_925 said:

I think getting platinum is, in a way, a healthier addiction than just alcohol or other drugs. I understand that at some moments of getting platinum you could fall into alcoholism (fucking challenges in BF1: D) or get a heart attack or commit an act of terror, but we all know that the end result pleases us with :platinum: and rewards us in the right way. I assume that many of us remember their first platinum, no matter how long ago it took place.

I thought i remembered my first plat. Always thought it was ratchet and clank a crack in time until i checked today. Think it was because that was my first real plat going for it from start to finish 

It gives me a goal, a purpose to play the game. Its a little extra. Like I’m gaining something from it, I earn something, I win something.

When I started playing on the PS3, I didn’t pay attention to trophies at all but I always saw my uncle going for trophies. I said I completed Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, he replied with: “Oh, did you get all the trophies?” “Um, no...” “Then you didn’t really complete it.”

And thats when I started going for trophies more, to the point I want to plat everything without rushing or feeling pressured, I still enjoy gaming as I did before.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RedDead3001 said:

soldiers are true heroes and trophy hunting is just a hobby)

I will love to hear your thoughts.                                                         RedDead3001.png

Trophies aren't just a hobby to some people....

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

I used to obsess over trophies once I figured out what they were. Now I'm like 4 or 5 profiles later after letting my obsession dictate what I played and it's definitely better but it still comes in waves where I start nitpicking what games I'm working on and deleting everything else off my console. I bought a 3 TB hard drive because I buy a lot of games during sales and whatnot, but I have a hard time when I have more than one game installed. I'm trying to stick to one game, but then I get bored. Its gotten worse since now we're stuck inside with this plague going on, but I'm teaching myself that the folder function can defeat my ocd if I'd just relax about it. Anyways, I just like feeling like I truly finished a game, got my money's worth, and now I can delete it and move on to something else.