Why is this game so hated?

Leon's early Campaign was very jarring for me; I was actually disgusted when I started it.

He's the fan favorite, so I think that it being such a hot, dimly-lit mess and available to select from the get-go, really hurts initial impressions. It does get better, IMO.

All of the coolest stuff happens in Sherry & Jake's Campaign, but who chose to play that first? 

As someone who never played the games before, and is only just now getting around to playing through the series, I can see why people were upset with RE5 and RE6.

In RE1, RE2, and RE7, I often wasn't sure where to head next, and had to use clues and evaluate items I had picked up to see if they unlock new areas. I spent a lot of time on inventory management, making sure I had enough space to pick up stuff but carried enough ammo, weps, and heals. I also spent a lot of time dodging zombies to avoid burning precious ammo.

Both RE5 and RE6 point you where to go at all times, and make inventory management a second thought at best. I have had more ammo than I know what to do with in both games as well. They are also paced very differently and, yes, are much less scary.

You can dismiss these arguments if you wish, because you're right, these things don't make the games bad in and of themselves. To me though, it really feels like these aspects and others were part of the soul of the Resident Evil series at first, and RE5 and RE6, although fun, seem to have lost a large amount of that soul, and come out being much less unique because of it.

As a disclaimer, I have not finished RE6 and have not played RE3 or 4 yet.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 1

For me, the story was a bit ‘all over the place’.

But ultimately, I can’t place my finger on it.  A little bit of the spirit of Resident Evil was lost with RE6.  And this is coming from someone who could live on a deserted island forever with a stack of #1-100 Uncanny X-Men (Original) comics, a small Pizza Hut store (free delivery!), and a copy of Crime Fighters, Final Fight, Super SF2 Turbo, KOF 97, NG Black, and RE5.  So I like the action/melee element brought into the RE Universe, certainly.  But I just didn’t get the Resident Evil vibes from RE6 at all, for some reason.

Not a bad game at all, though...

It could have been better, but overall I didn't mind it. After playing 4 and 5 and seeing what 6 had to offer, I wasn't expecting a true survival horror game, so as an over the top action game tying into RE, I was pretty content. It won't go down as a game I can see myself picking up again anytime soon, and I haven't bothered grabbing a PS4 copy even when it's been pretty cheap, but the time I spent with it was enjoyable 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Starcade_Legend said:

But ultimately, I can’t place my finger on it.  A little bit of the spirit of Resident Evil was lost with RE6.  And this is coming from someone who could live on a deserted island forever with a stack of #1-100 Uncanny X-Men (Original) comics, a small Pizza Hut store (free delivery!), and a copy of Crime Fighters, Final Fight, Super SF2 Turbo, KOF 97, NG Black, and RE5.  So I like the action/melee element brought into the RE Universe, certainly.  But I just didn’t get the Resident Evil vibes from RE6 at all, for some reason.

You're giving me a nostalgic heart attack with some of those listings on a deserted island.

Resident Evil was first and foremost a survival horror game. It basically popularized and put survival horror on the map. I've noticed the later games put more emphasis on shooting and killing zombies rather than surviving, which is what the series should always be.

Also, survival horror just doesn't sell as well as shooters.

• Like 1

If you go in with a sour attitude, it's no real wonder why people get extremely bitter over it, and that goes for anything. It's not a bad game, but compared to the older games, it's definitely not the best. The story was all over the place, and I truthfully found Jake to be a living McGuffin in the grand scheme of things. If they had Jake as the primary protagonist with the Wesker relation reveal with a one on one confrontation, I think it would be more simple and less scrambled with the story telling. The lack of weapon upgrades like in 4 and 5 was a weird submission, given how it was more action versus horror like the first three. I think it would have done better without skills as well. However, it's still noteworthy in that it can be fun with friends, and the Mercenaries was the best mode outside of Siege (to which the skills would be more optimal imo). Not important but, seeing the Hydra go from the god-tier gun it was to a discount shotgun you used for that trophy before stowing it away was a little sad.

I still find it baffling that some people will go "I hate RE6, it's over the top and too action based! Oh, my favorite game? Why it's Code Veronica of course!" with a straight face, as if that game wasn't the true beginning of where the games just began to go to that nonsensical action and anime-tier dialogue. As much as I loved Wesker using kung-fu to fight a naked lady who shoots fire, you can't tell me these RE games haven't always been stupidly wacky with their action, and CV was where it really ramped it up before Leon went to flipping through a laser corridor. Hell, the entirety of the series goes from spooky ghouls in the shadows at the start of the game, to blowing shit up with an RPG with alarms blaring because X thing is about to go up in flames and explosions as though Michael Bay was directing it.

I find it much too simplistic to go for the reasoning that 6 is bad because "game have big explosion, game bad" when it's always been there. It was just almost always near the end after the arduous journey to get there. There's pretty well thought out criticism of the game in this thread, but 99% of the time it's just the same dry reasoning, and I say that because it gets applied to literally anything not RE1 through 3.

• Like 4

On 5/7/2020 at 5:26 AM, enaysoft said:

Resident Evil 6 is pretty long as well, having 4 story modes to play with, along with lots of collectibles. Not exactly a quick or easy platinum.

For me I bought both RE5 and RE6 because I hadn't played them for a while but they feel so good in 60fps compared to the 30fps of the PS3 versions.

I would still like to get the platinum in RE6 

I loved 6. I've played every game in the series apart from 7 & almost all the remakes. I got 100% on 6 on the Xbox 360 & then bought it & did it again on the PS4 re-release.

Leon's campaign for me was by far the best with Chris's being the worst. I enjoyed Jake's for what it was & definitely liked how they took the opportunity to flesh Sherry out a bit more beyond being the little girl you protected in RE2.

I would have much preferred things to have gone the other way around with Piers & Chris almost like a passing of the torch rather than what they went with but it is what it is.

I enjoyed the new movement mechanics specifically especially with the ability to dive out of the way of attacks & roll around. The pill healing system was a nice touch too as it streamlined the healing process & meant less time was spent in your inventory.

I've seen a few of you saying skills were useless & pointless but I have to disagree. Shooting Wild was a double edged sword but good fun. If you don't know, Shooting Wild took away your crosshairs but heavily increased your damage so you had to be precise in your aiming.

RE6 Mercenaries is by far the best Mercenaries game in the whole franchise & one of the best mini games period imo.

I will admit Siege was lackluster & arduous but that was mainly because the PS4 had very few players interested in it. When the mode first launched last gen it was a lot of fun in full lobbies.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it yet but Ustanak mode was an amazing amount of fun in a full lobby. In a way, it's almost like it was the Precursor to being able to play as the Bioweapons in Resistance. A good Ustanank would steamroll a team but just a couple of good players could make his life difficult.

Edited by ObsceneSociopath
  • Like 4

Let's not forgot the great thing about both RE5 and RE6 is that you can do the whole game online coop and offline coop as well. RE7 and all the recent remakes have 2 player coop taken out, not even any of the Mercenaries styles mini games are splt screen anymore. If I recall, split screen on RE6 stays at 60fps but RE5 split screen drops down to 30fps for some unknown reason..

The super hard version of Mercenaries also drops to 30fps even on 1 player on RE5 but stays at 60fps on RE6.

I loved this game, same as Operation Raccoon City (which everyone hated). 

I think RE6 was much better than RE5, I don't care if those had less horror elements than the rest of the series, if you enjoy them thats totally fine.

Everyone has different taste so don't expect them to have the same opinion as yours.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 9:44 AM, AtaraxicDream said:

"Why is this game so hated?" That's easy, you have a fan base built around survival horror. Now start making action games... Not that hard to figure out why people dislike it.

Yet people love RE4.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/5/2020 at 6:59 AM, nombre_en_uso867 said:

Unpopular opinion: the game is great and not as bad as people make it out to be

We all agree that this is more of an action game rather than a horror game. Yeah ok... And?

I'm having a good time playing it and I fucking love when games tell the story from different points of view. I still have to play Chris and Ada's campaign but I enjoyed this more than RE4, which felt really long and boring in some sections.

So why? It occurs to me that the change from horror to action triggered the nostalfags so the only people who hate the game are die-hard RE fans, but idk

This game can be described like this: "It is an OUTSTANDING, AWESOME, GREAT game, but is not a good Resident Evil".

On 5/7/2020 at 2:39 AM, B1rvine said:

Resident Evil 6 is awful. 

Gameplay: The game is an action game consisting of "pew pew pew" boringness. Its vastly transformed from RE1 through RE4 and has almost no survival horror and no puzzle elements whatsoever. I'd disagree with you that RE4 isn't a horror game, plenty of moments I just didn't want to move forward, especially hearing chainsaws or other ghastly unknown sounds, and it still has some strategy elements. While RE5 was mediocre and similar to RE6, it had the benefit of being the first on PS3, and its plot concluded the storyline from previous titles. Compare RE6 to the RE2 and RE3 remakes, they're just completely different. As mentioned already, QTEs are just a no. The skill trees / purchases were junk too, and barely did anything for you anyway. Nobody wanted coop mode, speaking of which there's just way too many modes jam-packed in this and it's all over the place. 

Plot : The storyline was just atrocious. There were a ton of forgettable characters and their motivations were unrealistic and laughable, especially considering how serious this game takes itself. The characters also came from nowhere, such as Wesker's son, like really? The whole thing felt like a bad comic book. The multiple campaigns had no unifying theme either, and each one felt like an entirely different mini-adventure with a different author. While there was some story convergence, it felt almost forced in. Really, the plot is a snooze-fest. 

This is easily in my top 5 least favorite games on my account.

This is very well said my good sir! I’m not going to comment on the story because I honestly think most resident evil games have pretty bland stories. I was pleasantly surprised by the story in Resident Evil 2 Remake though (I didn’t play the original).

The gameplay design is truly where the game demonstrates how bad it is. There are a painful amount of quick-time events and scripted sequences. It basically seems like every meaningful moment in the game is designed to either limit or remove your control of the situation. A great example of this is the plane sequence in Leon’s campaign which is one of the worst things I’ve seen in a game. And how did anyone think it would be a good idea to have your character fall on your ass after you get shot by like two bullets when 90% of the enemies in the game have guns?!? It’s just awful. Also that jerky camera is terrible. You might get a kick out of this video which sums it up nicely. 

This is one of the worst games I’ve ever played and definitely the worst AAA game by far. 

On 5/7/2020 at 0:59 AM, nombre_en_uso867 said:

Unpopular opinion: the game is great and not as bad as people make it out to be

We all agree that this is more of an action game rather than a horror game. Yeah ok... And?

I'm having a good time playing it and I fucking love when games tell the story from different points of view. I still have to play Chris and Ada's campaign but I enjoyed this more than RE4, which felt really long and boring in some sections.

So why? It occurs to me that the change from horror to action triggered the nostalfags so the only people who hate the game are die-hard RE fans, but idk

This game isn’t bad because it’s an action game. It’s bad because it’s terribly designed and all over the place with what it’s trying to do. See my response above. And it’s not nostalgia making people hate it either. I haven’t played any classic RE games and I really liked 5. 

Also telling the story from different points of view automatically makes it good? The story is totally absurd and you end up replaying some sections with the same gameplay across different campaigns which is never good. 

On 5/7/2020 at 3:56 AM, JiII-Valentine-- said:

Love Resident Evil 6. Got all of the trophies on PS3 and PS4. People who say otherwise are nothing but haters.

Um no? Maybe we hate it because we have a better sense for what good game design looks like than you. 

On a totally different side note, everyone should look closely at the 6 in the logo. It looks like an upright giraffe being orally pleasured. Once you see it you can’t unsee it haha. 

• Like 1

I have to admit I never bought it on launch as I thought to myself this has too much action and OTT scenes it it for me doesn’t seem like a Resident Evil game. Paired with the fact I bought RE5 on launch and was disappointed that wasn’t a true RE game. However, looking at both games as not being tied to the RE series they aren’t that bad. I enjoyed RE5 but thought RE6 was OK but too long in my opinion and the story was all over the place, I think the best way to follow the story was to play the character’s chapters in a certain order not just complete a single character’s campaign and then move on to the next. No idea if that’s true or what order mind. 

I don’t know though as I am really biased as I love survival horror and the original fixed camera games. RE 1-3 I loved; 4 even though they changed the style of the game I still really enjoyed it, the setting was also great; 5 was good loved the DLC as kinda went back to the originals; 6 was OK for the reasons mentioned above, not touched any DLC if there is any; RE: Remake was amazing; RE2 & RE3 Remakes I really enjoyed but have to admit RE3: Remake felt like it could have been a DLC to RE2: Remake. & RE7 I really enjoyed. 

End of the day though Silent Hill 2 wins. 

On 11/9/2020 at 4:57 AM, nombre_en_uso867 said:

Yea pretty much

It is my opinion. I am 35, I played all RE, and even back then in 2005 on GameCube I said that to my friends. RE4 is AMAZING. But I did not have RE vibes. It was not the camera perspective, were other things. No backtracking, almost no puzzles, chapter structure, survival horror vibes, etc.

The same with 5 and 6. They are also AMAZING. But that RE vibes were gone. They became another thing. I am happy that RE7 is now on the top of RE sales. This game was the back to the Survival Horror RE.

RE4 si so popular because with RE in the title, became more popular among other gamers. I mean, people that never liked RE, they liked this one.