For this community, isn't it a good thing that you have to grind for trophies?

Fangsterr

39 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Where did you get your numbers from? Discarding platinum-less games, there are currently 7137 platinums, of which 1972 are UR, i.e. 27% (PSNP rarity). 

I think he’s talking about PSN rarity, not psnprofiles. Of my 28 plats, only 7 are ultra rare here, compared to PSN, where 20 are ultra rare.

Edited by Kcrack_Km
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Fangsterr said:

Isn't it more satisfying knowing that you obtained a plat trophy that only had a 0.5% obtain-rate vs one that had a 30% obtain rate?

Yet in so many games I've heard of players hating on developers for making the trophies a grind.

I think fun and satisfaction is more important than rarity or anything else. Sure it's satisfying to be one of the few people to do a trophy, but if the trophy is not fun and incredibly boring, there's a REASON barely anyone does it. Rare difficult trophies are better than rare grind trophies.

17 hours ago, mecharobot said:

It's not everything, but I can't say I really feel thrilled popping some 20%+ AAA-plat. Those with more of collector mentality value that which others don't have, which is usually about low % or possibly obscurity (game itself is rare/unobtainable).

So out of curiosity do you find yourself avoiding games with higher completion percentages even if you think you might enjoy them? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fangsterr said:

Isn't it more satisfying knowing that you obtained a plat trophy that only had a 0.5% obtain-rate vs one that had a 30% obtain rate?

Yet in so many games I've heard of players hating on developers for making the trophies a grind.

I must one of the few gamers that actually enjoys the grinding part of games. Whether is grinding for specific item for 5 hours for convenants like in dark souls or just grinding for XP to have a better build like in Nioh or Bloodbourne. I actually enjoy it. I think the only time when I lost my shit in grinding was for the PS3 Tomb Raider and grinding to level 55. That was crap. Otherwise it's all good in my opinion. Then there's always an option of not grinding for the trophy and move onto another game

It depends. I like getting plats for the games I really care about or offer a good challenge or something I know I can do after putting a little work in. I always like to get online trophies first just so I know I have them. I also like getting as many as I can because I don't really like having all these half finished games in my library because to me it feels like everything I own is half finished. Metal Gear Solid V's trophies were a grind for a lot of people but I've put over 1300 hours across 3 versions of it so it seemed logical to 100% it those three times, I'm playing it for all that time, I may as well do it. Or games like Spyro, fairly easy overall but it was such a joy to experience my childhood again that I 100%d those as fast as I could and made time in my life to do such things. 

But I think the game should be the priority which is something I need to learn to understand like I've done with Xbox and PC, Switch doesn't have them. I didn't buy games like Dissidia NT for a long time because the trophies were horrible, like, win 300 online matches. First of all, good luck finding that many matches and second off, having to actually win them. I found it for cheap sometime last year and just played what I wanted of it and then moved on; come back every now and then for a few matches and that's that, I know I'll never 100% it and it's just a waste of time to even try. Games like Mad Max are a horrendous grind. I got into a little routine after work in 2018 to just grind out the scrap trophy but after a few days it hit me that it never ended. That game isn't hard, it's just such a grind which is why it's rare. Not like it matters because at the time the game was impossible to 100%. I could end up getting those again someday but it seems unlikely. 

Getting the ultra rare trophies in Wipeout always makes me smile when I think of it just because of how difficult that game was. 

Grind is fine, til it becomes unnatural. I’m currently going for the 40k kill trophies in Battlefield Hardline. 

There is just no way I or anyone could ever naturally complete that many kills just for fun especially five years after the release. Campaign kills don’t count, kills aren’t retroactive and there is no cross save PS3>PS4 or vice versa so you’re looking at 80k kills. It can take half a year just to boost both games, plenty more if playing legit. 

What’s the point of it? None at all, the only saving grace is that it’s not required for the plat.

1 hour ago, ifyucantbeatmeXD said:

i think it's kinda uncool when ppl complain abt having to grind for a trophy. why dont ppl just drop a game once they stop enjoying it. there's no reason to ruin your experience of a game just bc of trophies

To some people it is just as annoying or more so to see that incomplete game in your profile than to deal with the grind.  What I think is annoying is how devs feel a need to include those sorts of trophies and say that needs to be done to get the plat/completion when it's far beyond what the scope of completing the game would have included without trophies.  To me the real issue is that many devs absolutely suck at using trophies wisely.  Trophies can be a great way to add replay value, additional challenges, or get a player to discover all the hidden secrets in a game and so few devs use them in this way and instead add pointlessly excessive tasks to pad gameplay.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lianco said:

Games like Mad Max are a horrendous grind. I got into a little routine after work in 2018 to just grind out the scrap trophy but after a few days it hit me that it never ended. That game isn't hard, it's just such a grind which is why it's rare. Not like it matters because at the time the game was impossible to 100%. I could end up getting those again someday but it seems unlikely. 

Getting the ultra rare trophies in Wipeout always makes me smile when I think of it just because of how difficult that game was. 

I didn't think Mad Max was a grind. Sure you got those 200+ Scavenging Locations, which can glitch out on you because Avalanche Studios never bothered to fix the glitch, so that can be seen as a bit of a grind. You also had to earn scrap online while your PS4 was turned off or at least when you weren't playing the game. Killing 15 enemies with boarder spikes was a real pain if you waited until the end, because the only enemies that really pop up are the Buzzards, who only come out at night.

Mad Max was basically 10 - 20 percent story, the rest boring side content which took up the bulk of your time.

10 hours ago, Emina said:

Grind is fine, til it becomes unnatural. I’m currently going for the 40k kill trophies in Battlefield Hardline. 

There is just no way I or anyone could ever naturally complete that many kills just for fun especially five years after the release. 

I had over 50k kills on BF4 (old account) and I'd probably still be playing if the Aus servers weren't dying. It's not a grind if you actually love the game and aren't specifically playing only for trophies. 

On 5/24/2020 at 11:59 AM, Fangsterr said:

There’s a big difference between a fulfilling grind and an unfulfilling one. Nobody wants to play a mediocre game for 200 hours. Now if it’s a good-great game with a long plat, bring it on

2 hours ago, Kcrack_Km said:

I had over 50k kills on BF4 (old account) and I'd probably still be playing if the Aus servers weren't dying. It's not a grind if you actually love the game and aren't specifically playing only for trophies. 

Thats BF4 though, I’ve been told it’s a great game. Hardline is just, whatever I guess.

There's good hard and there's bad hard.

Good hard? Trackmania Turbo. Ridiculously difficult. Anyone who gets that platinum will have earned it.

Bad hard? Birthdays: The Beginnings. A 30 hour game that needs to be played for 500 hours. I didn't even platinum it, because after I got the 500 hour trophy, I had no interest in it whatsoever.

Having to repeat a task a thousand times or wait around for 500 hours isn't interesting, challenging, or fun, it's just boring. What's the point of a trophy that says only, "I left my game on for 500 hours for a single goddamn trophy"? I'd much rather have a fun 40% game like Spyro on my list than that.

If it's a grind for just one trophy, then it can really start to drag.

I was fortunate with probably my two grindiest games so far, 3 on 3 freestyle and Starwhal, in that you could earn multiple trophies whilst en route to the grindy one.

For example, you could achieve 1000 assists whilst going for 200 MVP matches, rather than a seperate grind, and Starwhal at least had halfway progresssion trophies.

The vast majority of grinds are pointless and feel like a punishment for people who want the 100% to me. It’s just artificial game time that developers add on to give the illusion of value for money. I would rather have a skill based trophy that extends the game time by forcing you to practice and master the game than a mindless grind. 

OP also mentions rarity. Personally I don’t see the big deal over a trophy’s percentage. Rarity percentage is skewed by many factors. Some very challenging games have a common plat because there are so few game owners. Some very easy games have an ultra rare because they require expensive hardware or hundreds of hours of pointless grinding that literally anyone could do. 

Rarity on this site is just against a relatively small number of PlayStation owners who happened to register or be tracked here. The only true rarity is found on PSN as that is against all game owners worldwide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warlord99956 said:

The only true rarity is found on PSN as that is against all game owners worldwide. 

That is completely meaningless. Most of everything is virtually an ultra rare, even stuff that is uncommon/common in rarity on this website.

Even Marvel's Spider-Man has some pretty rare trophies on PSN, when most of us agree that there is nothing excruciatingly difficult about the game.

The point? The vast majority of everybody isn't a trophy hunter, they are casual players who play through a game's story, finish it, then leave it and move on to other games. Side content in most games is virtually ignored by the majority. Most of everybody who played through Assassin's Creed Origins probably just played for the main story then left it. I don't blame them, because side content in most Ubisoft games is utterly boring.

I like to be one of the few who actually had to work on something to earn it, like OlliOlli which I just completed. I find no joy whatsoever in being one of countless millions who earn their participation trophies, because there's no point in trophy hunting if you're just going to do that.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

That is completely meaningless. Most of everything is virtually an ultra rare, even stuff that is uncommon/common in rarity on this website.

Yes it makes more sense to take a fraction of the PlayStation community and work our rarities out against them right?

PSN rarity is the only figure that truly means anything as it shows the percentage of game owners that have that trophy. You can make the stats say whatever you want if you segment the player pool. You could make a rata plat ultra rare if you compare yourself against 100 other people who haven’t earned it but have started the game. There could be thousands of other people who share your rarest plat but you wouldn’t know unless they happen to be tracked by psnp. Like you said most people are casual gamers but a rarity is only accurate if all players are included, casual or otherwise.

• Like 1