PS5 With disc or without?

waltdisneypixar

PS5 With disc or without?   

1,257 members have voted

1. 1. PS5 With disc or without?

My only concern is the SSD storage. Even with the disk PS5 you'll have to install and play every game from your SSD for obvious reasons. The Disc version will at least allow you to reinstall locally rather than redownloading every time.

I will be getting the Playstation 5 that comes with the disk drive on launch day. I live out in the countryside, roughly five miles away from fast & reliable internet service (AT&T does offer DSL where I live, but the speeds are quite low [around 1 MBPS] and the connection stability isn't very good). Going with the Digital Edition of the PS5 would be a major mistake on my end (even if it is cheaper than the PS5 that comes with the disk drive) due to how terrible the internet is in my neck of the woods, and I don't feel like lugging my PS5 to work in order to use their blazing-fast internet [80 to 100 MBPS] to update the console or purchase/download games off of the PS Store.

There are several reasons for me to purchase the disc version.

Selling / Borrowing Games

The thing that i like the most about console gaming is the ability to sell your games. You're not purchasing a license for the game, you're purchasing the game itself. I'm also a PC player and i really dislike how i get forced to purchase everything digitally on Steam or other platforms. It's maybe convenient to start your game immediately without replacing the CD first, but i rather want a growing offline collection that also has a real value to it.

Pricing

Digital copies are not always cheaper. If there's currently no sale going on, the digital copie is mostly way more expensive then the retail version. Technically you can also sell your game immediately after playing it (if you don't want to grow a collection) and get most of your money back. You can also get games even more cheaper if you purchase used copies. That gets even more interesting when a console generation ends. Just look at the PS3 and XBOX360 game prices, a lot of AAA titles are ridiculously cheap nowadays.

Download Speed

You'll install games way faster with the disc, even if your internet connection is really fast. I also don't know if it's just me, but my download speed on the PS4 is really bad. On Steam i normally download games with 12 MBit/s, on the PS4 i can't get more then 3. Maybe that gets better with the PS5, but i'm still concerned.

Multimedia System

I can finally replace my XBOX One S that i only purchased for the 4K player. The PS5 will be my go to multimedia system and my main blu-ray player.

Edited by Rexarma1
  • Like 3

I think it is quite interesting that every person names every possible argument in favor of the disc version of the PS5, except this one/the most important one for trophy hunters: You can play the games without the latest patches! :P

Don‘t know how the situation will be with regard to that topic once the PS5 comes out, but definitely something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

I will be buying the digital version. Here are my reasons why:

1. I don’t have space to put the cases somewhere since my room is small and already filled up with a huge bed and school stuff. So for me, its just better organisation.

2. I find it more organised to have everything on my Playstation already and just click on the game and it opens.

3. I find the design of the digital console better, so thats a plus, its nice and slick.

4. I used to have physical games but ended up selling them, then later on I would regret selling them for the following reasons: wanting a nostalgia trip, trophies.

My main big reason is just for organisation and I find it easier, I don’t have the space in real to collect and I also never pre-order. I also read that disc and digital game prices will be the same, of course used games will cost less physically but I don’t mind that.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:35 PM, mastiingwerf said:

With disc, takes up less hard drive space which equals more games?

I am getting with disc, but that is not true is it?  Pretty sure, it takes up the same amount of hard drive space either way.

I own exactly two disc PS4 games and one of them came free with the system, so I would go without. It's also super annoying to move with discs- I had my bag all-the-way searched at the airport because a stack of PS3 games in a plastic bag rang off their sensor. 

13 hours ago, djb5f said:

I am getting with disc, but that is not true is it?  Pretty sure, it takes up the same amount of hard drive space either way.

Honestly im not sure. I thought it took up less space, else why would you get the disc if you had to essentially download the entire game anyway? And if that was the case you should be able to play the game without the disc once you installed. Someone feel free to correct me if im wrong

Since the days of N64 which was my first system I've never sold a game, ever. And while I don't get every limited edition, I always do for my favorite franchises -I have 3 Strange Journey for instance, the original one, the Japanese remaster since I couldn't let that gorgeous and amazing 25th anniversary limited edition pass, and the European one when it released here- or for the ones which are a good deal, such as Persona 5, both standard and royal and Bravely Default, these fall in both categories for me, and just the big size, hard cover artbook makes the extra 30€ worth, and the boxes are gorgeous too. 95% of my collection is physical save for games which got a great deal on PSN before I had the chance to get the physical, and if this happens to a game I like I get the physical edition later. So no point in the digital PS5 for me.

• Like 1

Disc, the digital prices are shocking and rarely go on sale for cheaper than physical. I just use Hot uk deals and set my alerts to PS4 games, a week after persona 5 royal came out I picked the launch edition up for £32. If the digital games were cheap or matched the price I would consider it but then there’s no 4K player :/. 

I still have more than a few years of waiting to do before getting a PS5 to even begin thinking of which one I'm going to get. :P

However, it's pretty obvious that the best option for me is going to be the one with the disc-drive. Despite the asymmetrical that disc drive gives to the console, this is the one to go for me. I've always loved to have a physical collection of games, and "to own" games myself. You know, not only the license but an actual tangible product that I can hold between my hands and gawk at the box art. I don't have an issue with space myself, so I don't have a problem with piling up games around in my room. I actually think that gives a cooler gamer-look to my room itself. xD

Another advantage I can think of. For example, assuming games on PS5 are going to be around the 50-150 GB mark in size, yeah, with my shitty internet connection (download speed of around 200 Kbps) I rather have those in physical form. Right now, most PS4 games take me around 2-4 weeks to download, so let's double that for PS5 games. At this rate, it's going to be way faster for me to import a game from the US and wait 3-4 weeks for the package to get to me than, I don't know, waiting 2-3 months for a game to download? Yeah... No thanks, lol. ?

Of course, that could all change if I had a quicker Internet connection, but let's not kid ourselves, that's not going to happen. Anyways, even if I had a godly connection, I'd still make an effort to get as many games as possible on disc over digital. They're just awesome to look at on your shelves. Sometimes they bring me memories when I visually go over them on my library, and that's something I cannot do with digital. They're just better value in the grand scheme of things too. :)

• Like 1

On 4-7-2020 at 4:16 PM, LoveInHell said:

I will be buying the digital version. Here are my reasons why:

1. I don’t have space to put the cases somewhere since my room is small and already filled up with a huge bed and school stuff. So for me, its just better organisation.

2. I find it more organised to have everything on my Playstation already and just click on the game and it opens.

3. I find the design of the digital console better, so thats a plus, its nice and slick.

4. I used to have physical games but ended up selling them, then later on I would regret selling them for the following reasons: wanting a nostalgia trip, trophies.

My main big reason is just for organisation and I find it easier, I don’t have the space in real to collect and I also never pre-order. I also read that disc and digital game prices will be the same, of course used games will cost less physically but I don’t mind that.

Physical and Digital games won't cost the same. Sony is the only one in the digital market so they control the market. 

For me I will go with the Disk version. Even though that my guess is that the disc version will be 100 dollar less if you are buying games from time to time you will make up for that by buying games cheaper. Sony strategy is smart, lowering the price of the console without the disc will make it more appealing to a lot of people and thus they only can buy digital games. However I like the flexibility of buying discs and money wise in the long run it is probably the better option for me. I also like to buy special editions from games that stand out to me. 

3 minutes ago, ZoutjeNL said:

Physical and Digital games won't cost the same. Sony is the only one in the digital market so they control the market. 

The games themselves will continue to cost the same at launch.    

Then after a game has been out for awhile, it is typically cheaper physically if no DLC content/season pass.  

But cheaper digitally (during a PSN sale) to get the Gold edition with all DLC, like AC Odyssey Gold edition, etc. 

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, ZoutjeNL said:

Yeah... that’s why I said “disc and digital game prices will be the same, of course used games will cost less physically but I don’t mind that” = pre-orders will have same prices but beyond that it wont.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:00 PM, LoveInHell said:

Yeah... that’s why I said “disc and digital game prices will be the same, of course used games will cost less physically but I don’t mind that” = pre-orders will have same prices but beyond that it wont.

Nope, in norway disc has allways been cheaper since release(new game, not used) around 50 pound for physical, and around 55 for digitally.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:15 PM, ZoutjeNL said:

Not true, (at least not in The Netherlands) Games are often 5-10 euro below digital launch price here in physical stores. 

Same in norway, pretty sure ps5 games would be a bit cheaper on disc?

Edited by DividedByMankind