RPG series to plat recommendations

xSingedStahpPls

15 hours ago, Montyzu said:

As someone that just started the Yakuza ride this insight is very useful, Thank you.

I personally do not agree with @DaveMcDamage's statements and am going to have to speak up for Yakuza 3. I started with 3 at a time when I was really burned out on gaming and it helped spark some life back into me if you will so it holds a special place to me shall we say.

Does it have problems? Yes. It had cut content, though how much it matters and you care is up to you, but it's main issue for people tends to be the start of the game. Yakuza games are known for their slow pace and 3's segment with the orphanage is just... absolutely glacial. Some people just tap out right there and I can understand... however I see it as courageous honestly. The start of 3 with Kiryu running the orphanage is his dream and the game shows it plenty. So many games just skip over things for not being exciting enough but 3 actually goes through with it (future Yakuza games, most obviously 4 just skips over the whole thing basically). 

Beyond that though when it gets going... zero problems. I personally think 3 has the best array of bosses in the series. It has the best final section, you know those where Kiryu just smashes his way through an army of dudes, also the most impressive considering just who he tears through. The main villain is also the biggest physical threat Kiryu ever faces in the series, with everyone before being weaker and then after there being a massive decline to LOL levels by 6 though personally I think 5's is even more embarrassing. In it's placement in the timeline it is Kiryu at his apex, his most happiest so I'd say an important part of his story. By that I mean the journey of his life sort of deal, the events that happen in 3 themselves have little impact in future games outside something that happens in 4 as an indirect result of it. 

• Like 1

Atelier Series - JRPGs centered around mostly female alchemists as they use their talents to help solve their problems or just make ends meat. more for the anime fans

Battle Chasers: Nightwar - Akin to more old school RPGs with an overworld and instanced dungeons.

Blue Reflection - An easy plat as well as a somewhat decent story despite not having the biggest budget, but mainly for the hardcore anime fans as it involves magical girls at an all girls school.

Cosmic Star Heroine - A shorter RPG influenced by stuff like Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, & Suikoden

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - My personal favorite Final Fantasy, it has action combat with unique characters and weapon styles. it also isn't one to pull punches with it's story. it's also an easy plat if you pay attention to the trophies beforehand. don't be like me and have to get them on your Agito [Hard] mode playthrough.

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ - An action combat JRPG from Falcom the creators behind the Ys and Trails of series. the game plays like Ys but outside of combat plays like the modern Trials of Series as well as dash of Persona if you wanna more common comparison. i recommend a guide though as Falcom the developer is known for jam packing their games with stuff you could skim past without noticing which could mess up your trophy collecting, hidden quests, information on characters for their bio pages so you can't fill them out stuff like that

Trails of Series - Long but satisfying JRPGs with great characters, music and just overall a high quality experience. I recommend a guide more on this series even more than Tokyo Xanadu eX+ since this series is more of their bread and butter and get more love put into them.

• Like 1

Nice to see some love and appreciation for the Yakuza franchise - it's one of my all time favourite game series. I will say though - if you are planning on platting all 6 before 7 comes out in NA/EU this year, it will take some serious serious game-time. They are generally beasts to platinum and this is speaking as someone who decided to plat them all - I'm working on 5 at the moment and it requires a seriously completionist mentality to get through. I loved them all so far, but definitely have a few favourites. 

I was going to add Pillars of Eternity 2 to this list, but it's honestly one of the worst PS4 ports i've ever played from a stability point of view. Great story but multiple crashes, blue screens, glitches, sound issues and insane loading screens..

These were definite highlights for me:

NieR:Automata

I spent the first 10 mins of the game saying 'what the hell is this?' to getting the platinum and it becoming one of my favourite all time games. It's a really great and satisfying platinum too. Brilliant game and in my humble opinion an actual masterpiece of entertainment.

Final Fantasy VII: Remake

The ending was divisive as hell and borderline controversial for some folks. But for me this is one of the best remakes i've ever played hands down and I cannot wait for the next part.

The Outer Worlds

If you like the format that games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls put out plus a science fiction setting with a tongue in cheek sense of humour, then you might like this. I loved it and I think I ended up going through it multiple times and not really thinking about the trophies while I did.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

One of my favourite RPG's on the PS4. I put hours into this game and it never outstayed it's welcome. The art style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the overall game experience firmly turned me into a Dragon Quest fanboy

South Park: The Stick of Truth / South Park: The Fractured Butt Whole

Not only are they brilliantly written South Park stories in their own right, but they can stand alone as great RPG's too. Your enjoyment might vary a bit though if you aren't a fan of South Park humour.

38 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Nice to see some love and appreciation for the Yakuza franchise - it's one of my all time favourite game series. I will say though - if you are planning on platting all 6 before 7 comes out in NA/EU this year, it will take some serious serious game-time. They are generally beasts to platinum and this is speaking as someone who decided to plat them all - I'm working on 5 at the moment and it requires a seriously completionist mentality to get through. I loved them all so far, but definitely have a few favourites. 

I was going to add Pillars of Eternity 2 to this list, but it's honestly one of the worst PS4 ports i've ever played from a stability point of view. Great story but multiple crashes, blue screens, glitches, sound issues and insane loading screens..

These were definite highlights for me:

NieR:Automata

I spent the first 10 mins of the game saying 'what the hell is this?' to getting the platinum and it becoming one of my favourite all time games. It's a really great and satisfying platinum too. Brilliant game and in my humble opinion an actual masterpiece of entertainment.

Final Fantasy VII: Remake

The ending was divisive as hell and borderline controversial for some folks. But for me this is one of the best remakes i've ever played hands down and I cannot wait for the next part.

The Outer Worlds

If you like the format that games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls put out plus a science fiction setting with a tongue in cheek sense of humour, then you might like this. I loved it and I think I ended up going through it multiple times and not really thinking about the trophies while I did.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

One of my favourite RPG's on the PS4. I put hours into this game and it never outstayed it's welcome. The art style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the overall game experience firmly turned me into a Dragon Quest fanboy

South Park: The Stick of Truth / South Park: The Fractured Butt Whole

Not only are they brilliantly written South Park stories in their own right, but they can stand alone as great RPG's too. Your enjoyment might vary a bit though if you aren't a fan of South Park humour.

don't forget Persona 5!

When it comes to PS4, I recommend all of these

Persona 5/Royal

Tales of Berseria

Nier: Automata

Ni no Kuni ll

Final Fantasy Series

South Park games

Dragon Quest XI

• Like 1

Lost Dimension

It is a turn-based, behind the shoulder strategy game similar to Valkyrie Chronicles, with an added detective twist. A group of people with special abilities enters the tower of a mad man who has the power to destroy the world, but this villain has the power to cloud your group's memories. Among your group are traitors who will side with the villain in the final battle if you don't discover them, but because everyone's memories are clouded the traitors don't know who they are. So you have to use the group leader Sho's psychic abilities to discover the traitor by taking every character into battle. After every battle Sho determines if one or more members of a party have negative thoughts (indicating they might be a traitor), and by mixing and matching teams you slowly eliminate suspects. 

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/blog/241/entry-24772-lost-dimension-ps3-review-tips/

3D Dot Game Heroes

This is a fantastic love letter to Legend of Zelda games. Click spoiler for a trailer.

Spoiler

Tales of Berseria

This was my first tales game, but I really liked the focus on anti-heroes as the protagonists and villains of the game are who would be considered the heroes in most other RPGs based on a one sentence description of their goals and actions.

Exist Archive

Per another players recommendation in the thread, the story was somewhat interesting, but the plat is a very long grind that can be pretty luck based. The main character has to learn every party members abilities, and that happens randomly when you fight with them in your party. The world design is also incredibly plain and generic, so I don't know if I would recommend it.

Edited by Guardian_owl

I agree with LoveInHell who suggested Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen, it's a great action-rpg with a great combat system, very fun to play (against huge monsters), you just need to endure the first couple of hours (a very slow tutorial).

I'm thinking about something you haven't played (maybe) or something else that haven't already been listed, I would mention Mass Effect, the second is just a masterpiece, but the platinum is not that simple due to the hard-mode run

I've recently played Vampyr, another action-rpg with a more basic combat system and I found out a really nice game with an interesting background and historical setting; the game changes depending on how you act while you play too

A really nice game (and unfortunately a less known one) I would like to suggest to everyone is Okami HD, a remaster of a PS3 game with wonderful art direction; it's some sort of Zelda-ish game, without reaching that level of perfection, but really worth to be discovered if missed!

...and you can of course hope to see one day the PS version of Disco Elysium and Elden Ring (hopefully 2020 but getting dispirited about it)!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Supermarco1012 said:

I would mention Mass Effect, the second is just a masterpiece, but the platinum is not that simple due to the hard-mode run

Played mass effect games back on the day on my 360 and i loved them. There is rumors of a remastered trilogy coming but i'm not sure.

3 hours ago, Supermarco1012 said:

...and you can of course hope to see one day the PS version of Disco Elysium and Elden Ring (hopefully 2020 but getting dispirited about it)!

Yup, hopefully Lariat Studios release a PS version of Baldur's Gate 3 as well since i loved Divinity games. For now they said that we won't get a console version...

I'm going to mention the Banner Saga trilogy (although I've only played the first one so far, it left me a strong impression to want to get to the other ones once there's a sale).

Basically, lore includes Vikings and humans fighting and avoiding shadowlike creatures while traveling to find someplace/anyplace that is safe and not overridden by death or plague or these enemies. You travel in a caravan and can pick up humans or Varl (the viking like creatures) to travel with you and make your caravan a successful one. However, the more people you gather, the more supplies you need too. To get supplies, you either must get lucky with events (random to a point where what you decide matters) or you must purchase them with renown (money used to also buy equippable items for your party in battle or to level up your characters). Characters can die depending on your choices too and the npcs in your caravan may lose happiness or die of hunger. Think Oregon Trail where management for npcs is important since they look up to you. Oh and there's also a rest option but that makes the days you take for the town you want to get to longer and decreases morale as well. Basically, you have to manage some things to have a "perfect" run.

Gameplay is gridlike based and goes by turns. You have range attackers, strength focused attackers, or shield focused attackers. Strength (the health of each character) is needed to be dropped to zero but it also determines the attack strength. However, armor makes you inflict less damage the higher it is on an enemy so you might also consider breaking that first. All in all, it involves some strategy but it's pretty fun.

The animations are also great (seemingly drawn by hand and storylike). The music is pretty epic that I still vaguely remember it every now and then. My only issue was that some of the names sounded similar (but that's mostly a result of me not having much knowledge in that department) that I got a bit confused when one similar looking character was addressed by another one.

And did I say choices matter? Apparently they carry over to the second and third games so that's a neat bonus. Someone dies here, they're dead in the following games if you decide to sink those choices. If you're looking for a plat, the first one at least is ultra rare and doesn't really take all that long or is all that difficult if you know what to do.

Of course, I'd look at videos to see if it's to your taste (but not too much to avoid spoilers).

• Like 2

I only really play Jrpgs so Ill give a couple recomenions I think most ppl would enjoy.

Final Fantasy 10-A little dated but story, music, gameplay and voice acting(surpizeingly) still hold up.

Its combat is turn based were everyone goes based on thier speed stat but has countless ways to tatckle fights due to the many options your 7 playble characters have.

I really find the story with its storng themes of religion along with soild world building to be amazing.

Characters could be a little better tho.

Game does have super grindy trophies btw with really annyoying mini games to boot and some buffed up super bosses too.

Its a long plat but a must play for any jrpg lover.

Btw I dont have the plat but Im very close.

100-150hrs.

Ys VIII-This may be one of the most underlooked games ever made.

Its a fast based Arpg with kicka** muisc.

If you enjoy games that are well paced and with very little slow moments this is a game for you.

The story awemone too, starting off as chessy and kinda just silly, but around the chapter 3 explozes into something much bigger and from that point keeps you engraged the whole way tru.

Combine that with one of the best gameplay loops Ive seen in along time and you havr yourself a underrated gem.

Plat is pretty nice too cus youll be doing most of the trophies during your main playtru.

And if your dont feel like trackling Nightmare(highest setting) off the start(like I did)

You can always start with nomral and destory nightmare in like 6-8hrs via NG+.

60-80hrs.

Well its a little similar to Baldur's Gate and Divinity so Pathfinder: Kingmaker which is about to release seems right up your alley. 

Dragon Quest 11 is also a nearly perfect game.

I also second Dragons Dogma, Trails of Cold Steel series, Persona and Banner Saga.

Also a quick few points/opinions about Yakuza

- The writing isn't so much in decline, its just some releases are better than others. Zero is the startpoint yes but lets not forget it wasn't released first. In my opinion the series has weak middle (3,5)

- The advice given to split Yakuza games apart is very solid advice. 

Honestly there are not a lot of BAD rpgs this console generation tbh. 

On 8/2/2020 at 11:40 AM, punkshepherd said:

I also second Dragons Dogma,

The game I would love to delete from my profile and do all over again. What an awesome frikkin game. If not for the yukky fast travel design, I would give the game 10/10. But a solid 9.5/10 will have to do. 

Even the writing (by Japanese devs to suit a global audience) is good, and the whole reason to do a second playthough is one of the most epic twists ever in a game. But shhhhhh! No spoilers ya hear!

On 7/30/2020 at 11:30 AM, flashpool23 said:

I'm going to mention the Banner Saga trilogy (although I've only played the first one so far, it left me a strong impression to want to get to the other ones once there's a sale).

I bought the Trilogy edition and had a blast getting platinum for all three games. I was hooked. Ironically, there are guides for TBS1 and 2 but it seems like a lot of console gamers never bothered to platinum or even play TBS3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 0:42 PM, Dan-lives-here said:

I would recommend witcher if it didn't have 5 minute loading screens. Totally disgusting.

They aren't that bad. Once you get your skills up and stop dying  you rarely have to see them. But I've gamed since the days of the Spectrum 48k, so loading times these days are like light speed for me. I will say that Metro Exodus had the longest loading times I've experienced this gen. 

People call nay games these days an RPG, so I may as well suggest the Metro Trilogy. 

Yakuza ain't really a rpg, it has much more in common with the Batman Arkham  series, I liked  Kiwami 1 for the musou feelings It had, but there are no rpg mechanics, so maybe see if the musou genre intrigues you, or Batman I guess.

Final Fantasy may seem innocent,  but has many tricks up its sleeve, the thunder dodging in FFX, the jump game in IX, almost everything in X-2, no seriously, you better start that game with a guide, it's "choice" based, and almost everything is missable, the bestiary and concurrences in XII, Treasure Hunter in XIII and don't even get me started with Dissidia.

If you enjoyed the Surge and the souls series, perhaps give Lords of the Fallen a try? It's a soulsborne made by the same creators of the Surge, there's also Dragon's Dogma, action rpg  with classes made by the creator of DMC 3 Itsuno, also try to play Chain of Memories and  FFX-2, just to fill in your collection on the respective game series.

• Like 1