This game is very underrated.

royal642award

11 minutes ago, royal642award said:

Who else thinks its fucked up how games like this get criticized for all of their flaws yet people keep giving games like call of duty a 9/10 every year for the same repetitive shit. Maybe its because this isn’t some modern warfare ripoff. 

How many generic modern warfare shooter games do we have out there nowadays? I had more fun playing this than any cod game I’ve played since 2010

I understand that people have been waiting on this game since the 90s and its extremely long development time was a major contributing factor into why it flopped so hard but don’t you feel that if this game were released in maybe like 2002 this would have gotten really highly positive reviews. Releasing this around the same time as battlefield 3 and cod modern warfare also didn't help at all. 

This game is awesome and I would have pre ordered this over mw3 any day if i were given the opportunity. 

Hype contributing to games doing poorly seems like a modern phenomenon.  The more anticipated a game is, and the longer people are waiting for it, the more resentful they get for some reason and they fail to look at the game objectively.  Even if Duke Nukem Forever is a great game (I wouldn't know, I never played it)... it was always doomed in some capacity.

Frankly it gives marketing way more influence than it should have, both positively and negatively, but people today are kinda dumb.  Acting independent and unbiased, but are more easily swayed by the tiniest things and utterly brand loyal than just about any generation of gamer before them.  Playing right into the hands of these companies and their tactics.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, royal642award said:

Who else thinks its fucked up how games like this get criticized for all of their flaws yet people keep giving games like call of duty a 9/10 every year for the same repetitive shit. Maybe its because this isn’t some modern warfare ripoff like a lot of crap FPS games have been over the past decade.

How many generic so called “modern warfare” shooter games do we have out there nowadays? I had more fun playing this than any cod game I’ve played since 2010

I understand that people have been waiting on this game since the 90s and its extremely long development time was a major contributing factor into why it flopped so hard but don’t you feel that if this game were released in maybe like 2002 this would have gotten really highly positive reviews. Releasing this around the same time as battlefield 3 and cod modern warfare 3 also didn't help at all. 

This game is awesome and I would have pre ordered this over mw3 any day if i were given the opportunity. 

12 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Hype contributing to games doing poorly seems like a modern phenomenon.  The more anticipated a game is, and the longer people are waiting for it, the more resentful they get for some reason and they fail to look at the game objectively.  Even if Duke Nukem Forever is a great game (I wouldn't know, I never played it)... it was always doomed in some capacity.

Frankly it gives marketing way more influence than it should have, both positively and negatively, but people today are kinda dumb.  Acting independent and unbiased, but are more easily swayed by the tiniest things and utterly brand loyal than just about any generation of gamer before them.  Playing right into the hands of these companies and their tactics.

These^

DNF is no lost masterpiece but it's also not the unplayable turd it's often made out to be. Yes it has its problems but overall, I had way more fun playing this game than pretty much anything else from the year it came out (in fact I liked it so much I Platinumed it twice) and consider it to be one of my favourite PS3 games :). I would love a remaster of this game, because we need Duke more than ever these days :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

That is fair. I suppose it had so many people waiting for it so long and their expectations of what it was going to be were very high so by the time they got it they were gravely disappointed. 

Edited by royal642award

I really enjoyed this game in terms of leveldesign, humor and gameplay elements. From a technical perspective that game was really disappointing. Not just the graphics (i can live with that) but the loading times were a big letdown. Especially when i tried higher difficulties back in 2011 at release. Since ive improved a lot and got better it wasnt as much a problem in 2017 when i finally completed the game but i think this game has a huge amount of wasted potential. I really hope we will get a sequel at some point.

Edited by westersburg

It's a 9 year old game that reviewers bombed. Users did the same, so why would anyone go near it, especially now, unless you've played the better alternatives and have nothing else left. I've never played it, never will, when I see a review give it 3/10.

I am interested to know why it isn't on your profile, or are you just getting round to it?

1 minute ago, FawltyPowers said:

It's a 9 year old game that reviewers bombed. Users did the same, so why would anyone go near it, especially now, unless you've played the better alternatives and have nothing else left. I've never played it, never will, when I see a review give it 3/10.

I am interested to know why it isn't on your profile, or are you just getting round to it?

This is my alternate account. 

2 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

But why would I? Again, I iterate, if you have all the time and money in the world and you've tried everything else, then maybe yes.

Maybe because one mans trash might be another mans treasure? If you never played it before how would ever know if you don’t like it? 

I know reviewers and players both alike (even many in this very thread) bombed it hard as nails but lets say there were no reviews at all, nobody had any opinion of it until the day you played it and there were no hype, would you judge a book by its cover? 

Maybe I am in the minority here (and in the majority outside of here) but ...I played Duke Nukem Forever up until one point. Man...game's lame. I mean ok, it's not at the levels of Road to Hell Retribution, god forbid (that's not a game, that's an erroneous code) but...yeah, game is not that good. I would definitely not replay it and I struggle to even finish it without groaning.

And no it's not the Duke one-liners. Everything as a whole does not work. It's a game that would probably have worked in 2002 but not when it was released. The sum of its parts are bad, the minicar section + stupid pigs+ ugly graphics + slapping the boobs on the alien mothership + those dick monsters (that's exactly what they are) . Mneeeh...game doesn't work. And yeah if it wasn't even released well, for sure it did not age well either.

I'd rather not play either of the mentioned games(got Duke Nuke just to see what's the trash about for around 2euros on PS3 ) but if I were to be forced to choose...I'd pick Call of Duty. Shitty practices but at least the guns there work properly and there's decent graphics.

And nah back in the day, Call of Duty 1 was one of the best shooters ever xD It would have blown Duke Nukem Forever no matter the year of release.

• Like 2

Just now, royal642award said:

Maybe because one mans trash might be another mans treasure? If you never played it before how would ever know if you don’t like it? 

I know reviewers and players both alike (even many in this very thread) bombed it hard as nails but lets say there were no reviews at all, nobody had any opinion of it until the day you played it and there were no hype, would you judge a book by its cover? 

I'm glad you think it's awesome. It's possible I might be missing out but I'll live with it.

One of the problems was Duke Nukem himself is basically a walking 1980s/1990s stereotype action hero.

He was clearly inspired by Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford and other action stars of that era. The Duke designers gave him a bunch of corny lines ("It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum. I'm all outta gum") that would more appropriately fit in a 1990s era cartoon show or a flashy movie. In 2011 you had Isaac Clarke of Dead Space and Nathan Drake of Uncharted, both protagonists who had a lot more depth and character development than Duke. There was virtually no character development with Duke, he plays a cartoonish tough guy that you could probably compare with cartoon wrestlers of the 1980s like Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior. Hogan and Warrior in comparison were more entertaining to watch. 

There is a infamous scene in Duke Nukem Forever where Duke tries to be all tough and refuses to wear a set of power armor, because it's for "pussies". That's when I knew the game was a pile of trash. The game's sad excuse of a multiplayer mode just drove it further into the ground.

I would argue that next to Sonic the Hedgehog, Duke Nukem has historically been one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history. He had a great game back in the late 1990s (Duke Nukem 3D) and a couple of games on the PlayStation 1 that kept him above water. Everything after that has been a disaster, both on the surface and behind the scenes.

Gearbox would be better to just rid of Duke and have somebody try to revive him so he would appeal to a modern audience. If Shadow Warrior was somehow able to come back with a successful remake in 2014 from a game dating back to 1997, Duke Nukem can certainly get the same treatment. The questions are if and when.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I never played this when it was released due to the poor reviews but I recently purchased Duke 3D World Tour and it brought back so many great memories and as a game still holds up today.

So after finishing that I thought why not finally give this a try and bought it for £3 on eBay and fired up the PS3. I hate to say it but I’m not enjoying it AT ALL. Sure Duke has still got some of his iconic one liners and a few of the old enemies are back but that’s really where the similarities end. This feels like a bunch of playable cutscenes thrown together and nothing like the original in terms of gameplay and exploration. The maps in the original were really well designed and would have you exploring them in fine detail for key cards and power ups before trying to find the exit. This is just shoot a few enemies here, move onto the next scene, solve a really shit puzzle, fight a boss and repeat.

I’m up to the Hive and I’ll finish it since it seems short but so far I’d say reviews of 3 or 4 out of 10 seem fair for this.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

This game was cringe back then, it’s still cringe now. I despise the word cringe, yet it’s the only word to properly describe it. 

The OP wants to shit on COD and other FPS games, yet this game is as unoriginal as it gets. The campaigns in COD are definitely more entertaining than this dumpster fire. 

• 1 month later...