Is it time to increase our PS4 game collections?

thekingsman123

I've been collecting Playstation games now for over 10 years and about a year or so after the PS4 was released here in Australia, local retailers dediced to clear out a lot of their PS3 stock to make way for the increase of games in the PS4's library.

I can't speak for the US, Europe or elsewhere but locally, it seems like that time is coming again. A time where rare games finally get discounted and the odd copy of that rare JRPG or adventure game you often saw neglected on the store shelf has finally found a home. I noticed this trend with the 3DS lately where all those Shin Megami Tensei games finally got sold off in store and are now selling for high prices on eBay.

So now, I ask you the following:

1) Have you increased your purchase rate of PS4 games recently?

2) Are you now trying to find those rare games you've always wanted but never wanted to pay full price for? If so, which ones are you currently after, did you ever get a copy and if so, for how much?

3)  What PS4 games (CE and/or standard) in particular do you think will be worth a fair bit in future? 

*Looks at all 185 PS4 games I own*

Yeah, I'm gonna buy some more.

Seriously though, besides the few rare ones like everything physical NISA releases and Ys 8 I don't think many PS4 games are gonna shoot up in price. They'll probably be like most PS3 and 360 games and be around $20 or less for years. Right now I'm focusing on getting all the PS2, GameCube, and DS games I want before the prices keep skyrocketing.

• Like 2

One thing I like about PS4 is that most of the games are on store, there are some videogame stores here where I live,  but since the price is too high for the standard income  they focus on only the big hits like GTA, Fifa, COD etc, basically, if you're looking for a jrpg outside of Final Fantasy (and sometimes even that) you'll just get a surprised look, it's really one of the reason I switched to digital only, availability and overall it's more comfy.

So to answer your questions:

1) a fair bit

2)  Most of the games I care about I already have them or aren't on the ps4

3) Not a prophet, but I predict that prices for physical games will go down, I would focus on the ones you cannot buy on the store, they tend to be niche, and have low availability.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actively not growing my backlog and adding games to lists instead. When I want to play a game on the list, I make sure I even have time to actually put the money I spend on it to use, and then I buy it then. Saves me a whole lot of money that I have spent on unused things and was a bad habit I started in the SNES days, the most expensive time in gaming history.

In the meantime I'm just playing games already in my backlog.

So no, I'm not looking to start snatching up PS4 games, especially once retailers figure out that they're all backward compatible with the PS5 and don't move to clear inventory too quickly by dropping prices.

4 hours ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

I'm always on the lookout for rare games that could potentially be worth a lot in the future.

I have been looking at Driveclub on PS4, they don't make the game anymore and people sell it on eBay cheap (for now) not guaranteeing it'll go rare later on but if it's stopped production then you never know......

Driveclub is still sold at low prices in AUS. I have the special edition and it's.... not very special at all. 

I don't think racing games have ever appreciated in value. I could still go to my local CEX or online and find Gran Turismos at reasonable prices.

• Like 1

Niche, licensed and commercially unsuccessful games are probably your best bet. Godzilla PS4 is all three and currently selling for £65+ on eBay - way more than it's worth, by any standard. It helps that Godzilla is a respected IP, even if the game isn't. Asia-only releases are also a good idea, as long as they're playable in English. I think Dead or Alive Xtreme still fetches a fairly high price. 

Personally, though, I stopped buying physical PS4 games quite a while ago. I'm actually in the process of selling off my entire games collection, so I'm definitely not looking to start buying again.

2 hours ago, TheArcadeKid said:

Niche, licensed and commercially unsuccessful games are probably your best bet. Godzilla PS4 is all three and currently selling for £65+ on eBay.

Wow! I didn't even know that Godzilla game got a PS4 release? We got the PS3 version in Australia but not the PS4 port! Damn, that's rare.

If the price is right, I'll be grabbing anything up. I actually sold my recent physical copy of Danganronpa V3 on ebay for 70$, I bought it for 16$ from Gamestop on blackfriday 2019. I then bought the digital copy for $9.95 :) I guess I made some money there. 

I been trying to find a cheap copy of Ys VIII Lacrimosa and Sakura Wars but it seems the physical still kinda high, if not rising back up. :|

2 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

If the price is right, I'll be grabbing anything up. I actually sold my recent physical copy of Danganronpa V3 on ebay for 70$, I bought it for 16$ from Gamestop on blackfriday 2019. I then bought the digital copy for $9.95 :) I guess I made some money there. 

I been trying to find a cheap copy of Ys VIII Lacrimosa and Sakura Wars but it seems the physical still kinda high, if not rising back up. :|

That Katherine gif is amazing...

Good work with Danganronpa V3. The PAL version was always rare. It's such a pain buying these rare JRPGs and VNs. It's always either purchase early at release or actively search for a second hand copy a year or two later. 

• Like 2

I admittedly find it pretty hard to resist buying games that I know are going to be rare or that are just going to keep going up in price. Generally I am pretty good at getting through my backlog but in the last year I have purchased a few JRPGS because I have an interest in the series even though I havent played them yet (E.G. Trails series) and don't want to pay ridiculous amounts a few years later. This means my backlog (at least for the games I actually intend to play, there's a small few games I purchased just to collect and I don't count PS+ titles) is probably the largest it has ever been. I've definitely started collecting physical games during this gen and have double or triple the amount of PS4 games as PS3. I'm not planning to resell anything I have collected though as I really do like having a collection.

As to buying new games now I don't often come across anything I either don't have or that looks interesting enough to me when I go to EB Games. If I did see something I'm interested in at EB I would probably grab it though, their stock on the less popular games (so JRPGS) usually seems to be very limited. As for online I have a small list of current gen games I'm planning to buy but fortunately none of them are rare enough yet that prices are too high so I'm just buying them slowly. 

On 8/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, thekingsman123 said:

I've been collecting Playstation games now for over 10 years and about a year or so after the PS4 was released here in Australia, local retailers dediced to clear out a lot of their PS3 stock to make way for the increase of games in the PS4's library.

I can't speak for the US, Europe or elsewhere but locally, it seems like that time is coming again. A time where rare games finally get discounted and the odd copy of that rare JRPG or adventure game you often saw neglected on the store shelf has finally found a home. I noticed this trend with the 3DS lately where all those Shin Megami Tensei games finally got sold off in store and are now selling for high prices on eBay.

So now, I ask you the following:

1) Have you increased your purchase rate of PS4 games recently?

2) Are you now trying to find those rare games you've always wanted but never wanted to pay full price for? If so, which ones are you currently after, did you ever get a copy and if so, for how much?

3)  What PS4 games (CE and/or standard) in particular do you think will be worth a fair bit in future? 

Some games might stop being on sale. I've been waiting for Dust: An Elysian Tail and Headlander to go on sale on PlayStation Store for years.

If you want to play a game and the price is "right", just buy it. Just a suggestion.

Edited by zizimonster

4 minutes ago, Gamehelp said:

Play Asia exclusives with separate trophy lists virtually triple their money once they sell out, while only manufacturing 1500 copies, the rarity can only go up and the price most likely will not go down.

As for things in physical stores, I doubt you'll really find anything, most of the titles they sell (at least in NZ/AU) are mainstream titles, this basically means that there are a lot of copies in circulation and the price probably wont go up very high if at all.

The only recommendations I can provide are visual novels, not many vendors have them in stock, not many physical copies are made (compared to other titles), usually need to be imported from UK or USA, check out ozgameshop if you get the chance, if you wanted to find some neat stuff at a cheaper price, check cashies I guess lol, they sometimes have some decent finds.

I never got in to the limited run games for PS Vita/PS4. I think it's because the actual games themselves never appealed to me - not a fan of most indies. 

Apart from EB Games/JB Hifi, where else do you buy games in person in NZ? And yes, Ozgameshop is where most of my vita collection came from. It's all sold out now. I've been buying up some of their discounted PS4 games (at around $20-$30 mark). Also, they slashed the price for Dark Souls Trilogy last night to $70 so I grabbed a copy.

4 minutes ago, stargate1995 said:

I admittedly find it pretty hard to resist buying games that I know are going to be rare or that are just going to keep going up in price. Generally I am pretty good at getting through my backlog but in the last year I have purchased a few JRPGS because I have an interest in the series even though I havent played them yet (E.G. Trails series) and don't want to pay ridiculous amounts a few years later. This means my backlog (at least for the games I actually intend to play, there's a small few games I purchased just to collect and I don't count PS+ titles) is probably the largest it has ever been. I've definitely started collecting physical games during this gen and have double or triple the amount of PS4 games as PS3. I'm not planning to resell anything I have collected though as I really do like having a collection.

As to buying new games now I don't often come across anything I either don't have or that looks interesting enough to me when I go to EB Games. If I did see something I'm interested in at EB I would probably grab it though, their stock on the less popular games (so JRPGS) usually seems to be very limited. As for online I have a small list of current gen games I'm planning to buy but fortunately none of them are rare enough yet that prices are too high so I'm just buying them slowly. 

I'm playing TOCS II right now on PS4. The PS4 version is wonderful. Turbo mode makes the platinum much less monotonous.

I was at EB today. I picked up Super Neptunia RPG and Atelier Lulua for $30 each. I noticed Atelier Ryza already sold out which will make its acquisition quite expensive for me later on.

1 hour ago, Gamehelp said:

We have another place called The Warehouse, and I guess Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman, but their selection is dogshit and their prices are unjustifiable, better to just go to EB's or buy online, i'm pretty sure Aus has MightyApe too right?  maybe take a look on their site, although their prices aren't anything special, they put up some decent sales from time to time, is gumtree also an option for you?

Yeah, Mighty Ape has been around for ages. I've bought lots of stuff from them over the years. They've started up a new brand in Australia now as well called Gorilla Gaming.

And we definitely have Gumtree. I've bought a fair few games for cheap off a lot of people on that site. Facebook marketplace has been good to me.

I remember back in 1997, I was in Auckland visiting family friends, I saw some games being advertised in the paper and then got my parents to go out and buy me my first ever PSX games - Tekken 2 and Crash Bandicoot. I couldn't get wait to get back home to play them.

Edited by thekingsman123

Fellow Aussie, I've been considering it, but my backlog is so huge, buying more games would be more of a collector decision I think. Seeing games get taken from the digital store is already heart wrenching, Trying to find physical copies of Danganronpa 1-3 and spinoffs in Australia is a nightmare and the prices have already risen to $90 - $200 for some of them.
There are also a few games I got digitally or in PS Plus that I am unsure if I want to buy a physical copy for. But collecting games has this strange circumstance that they only retain their value as long as there is a console to play it on. And it's already getting to the point that if your NES or PS1 dies, getting a replacement is nigh impossible. Books, on the other hand, exist as long a someone can read them and they are appropriately cared for. So I don't feel bad collecting them.

A rock and a hard place.
TL;DR:
Yeah, I'm going to buy a few grand worth of PS4 games in the next 12 months...