Polygon: PS5 save files can only be backed up to PlayStation Plus

Swotam

I don't think I've ever used cloud or external/offline save backups, and I have PS+ renewed for the next like 6 years, so I'm indifferent to this.

1 hour ago, RNumbers said:

Ah, Sony. A shit company with some great products. The only time they don't act like ducks is when there is a legitimate competitor and it looks they won't "win" the current generation.

This is why "console wars" are stupid and we should all be hoping for several competing products with roughly equal market share.

Console wars only exist if there are competing products.  We should be hoping for more console wars.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Good, stops people cheating/hacking using save files. I really don't see how this is an issue though, ps plus is dirt cheap. Most active users have ps plus, and most of the people who don't probably don't care or ever back up saves. 

pay me $5 a month, what’s the big deal it’s dirt cheap. 

meanwhile steam cloud not only works better, but it’s free.

Just now, scemopagliaccioh said:

Those two examples are one and the same 

No they aren’t. You can compare products without being a fanboy who jerks off a company. 

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

Talk about piling awful decisions on top of awful decisions.

Honestly I'm starting to think they do it on purpose, like when people having to choose between a road with an open field & rivers, or a dark dead forest, then Sony really ventures off into the dark forest filled with confidence

Now ontopic: I always upload my savefiles on ps+, its the easiest option, but I honestly don't like it when its the 'only' way, especially if its after some kind of 'paywall' (yet again)

Idk why, but i feel 'everything' nowadays needs to be stored online, or being digital, I dont like it one bit, nothing is better than having a physical disc. Last week my window motor of my car broke, goddammit i only have a button to push for it to go up, with the 'old-fashioned' way rolling it up with a handle i wouldnt even have a problem to begin with, it even got to the point im thinking 'oh god, something new, its crap' ?

• Like 3

Just now, DaivRules said:

I’ll take the competitive products and companies pushing each other to improve themselves over the drama-filled side effect of emotion-filled console “wars”.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive.  Companies push each other by being successful, successful brands have loyal customers, loyal customers attack the competition as a way of validating their purchases.  It's all part of the process.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

pay me $5 a month, what’s the big deal it’s dirt cheap. 

meanwhile steam cloud not only works better, but it’s free.

No they aren’t. You can compare products without being a fanboy who jerks off a company. 

You can try to be objective, but  there are always preferences, and from there fanboyism is born, which spreads the product in question.

I think  having some online messagges you can easily  ignore is a fair trade, to avoid having someone  with a monopoly.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

24 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I don't think those are mutually exclusive.  Companies push each other by being successful, successful brands have loyal customers, loyal customers attack the competition as a way of validating their purchases.  It's all part of the process.

The "loyal customers" part is where the emotionally charged words start coming in. People DO define themselves by the things they buy, but that doesn't mean it's necessary. And it's really an unhealthy habit. They would just be referred to as repeat customers if you take the drama out. And using being "loyal" as an excuse for "attacking the competition" is a poor justification. The purchase itself fulfilling it's purpose is what validates a purchase, repeat or not. The rest is unnecessary drama. 

1 hour ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Not so sure. For example, I only subscribe to PS Plus if I need to for a specific game's platinum or something, maybe the occasional PS Plus free game, and then unsubscribe - my fiancee does the same, and it's her main system (unlike me, Xbox). If you're like us where you are 95% single player (speaking for myself, mainly play PS for Sony exclusives which are often SP) then PS Plus is pretty pointles. This is pretty shit because it effectively forces people who want to back up their save to PS plus instead of commonly accessible and universal storage alternatives...

I can probably bet you are both spending more money if you are purchasing two separate subscriptions periodically throughout the year for $9.99 a month, especially when I usually buy it for $29.99 a year during sales. If you have separate PS4's you can activate each other as primaries and only one of you would need a subscription.

However, I do understand not everyone plays online, but that's only one part of the subscription, access to cloud saves, free games every month, and discounts are more than enough to warrant a subscription purchase imo, but everyone is different.

16 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The "loyal customers" part is where the emotionally charged words start coming in. People DO define themselves by the things they buy, but that doesn't mean it's necessary. And it's really an unhealthy habit. They would just be referred to as repeat customers if you take the drama out. And using being "loyal" as an excuse for "attacking the competition" is a poor justification. The purchase itself fulfilling it's purpose is what validates a purchase, repeat or not. The rest is unnecessary drama. 

Sure, in an ideal world.  As long as gaming is popular though, and there are at least a few leading, competing businesses making very similar products... the "wars" among their userbases are going to happen.  It's not "necessary" but it's inevitable.  Competition between brands breeds competition between their users, especially in this highly opinionated environment we currently live in and the so easily accessible soapbox of social media.

Companies compete with eachother to be successful.  If the companies aren't successful, they don't have fans.  If they don't have fans, there is no war.  Ergo, console wars are a part of that competition, so if competition good, console wars good.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

You can try to be objective, but  there are always preferences, and from there fanboyism is born, which spreads the product in question.

I think  having some online messagges you can easily  ignore is a fair trade, to avoid having someone  with a monopoly.

wtf are you talking about.

Consoles wars and comparing products are not the same thing. You can have the latter without the former.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

wtf are you talking about.

Consoles wars and comparing products are not the same thing. You can have the latter without the former.

Not in this case, though.

The products you're comparing are  consoles,  "console wars" are 2-4 sides that want to establish the product they bought as  the better one, the companies find an advantage in the hype machine they create. 

3 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I doubt this affects many people. I actually don't know a single person that doesn't have PS+ that owns a PS4. Not saying choice isn't good, but this isn't a big deal.

The problem is that you only can use the cloud for your saves in the account that has the plus, in my case we have the plus on a burner account for the whole family, so I've never been able to use that feature :( USB sticks was my only option 

• Like 1

I'd expect them to add USB backups in a firmware update eventually. If not, it's gross: "pay for our subscription service if you want to do anything!"

I'm one of those people who keeps a collection of practically every completed game file, going all the way back to the PS1, so this would irk the hell out of me.

• Like 1