What makes you want to hunt?

Armymed101

I know people usually ask this question a lot, but what made you want to start the hunt for trophies? Was it the thrill of the achievement? OCD? What really made you decide to just dive deep and grind?

For me, I love accomplishing things that other people may not want to. If the DEVS did all this hard work, I wanna show that I care. Let me try to get that platinum! Though, I still don't have one... 

For me it’s semi about the achievement but more so about getting the most out of a game. Getting a platinum trophy (usually) requires that you play a game in all its facets (i.e. using every character and completing all side quests) but it also signals a definitive end to a game. Once I get the platinum trophy, I move on and thus never get fatigued by any one game for playing it for too long.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KamikazeCapybara said:

For me it’s semi about the achievement but more so about getting the most out of a game. Getting a platinum trophy (usually) requires that you play a game in all its facets (i.e. using every character and completing all side quests) but it also signals a definitive end to a game. Once I get the platinum trophy, I move on and thus never get fatigued by any one game for playing it for too long.

All of this. I feel like going for a platinum makes me experience everything the game has to offer, even if it's meaningless. So when it's done, I feel like I know the game inside out and move on. 

10 hours ago, KamikazeCapybara said:

When I did hunt trophies, this ^

But also, because the overarching goal of a more complete profile added to the experience.  Not all games are built equally and if one was worse than the others, I'd still be motivated to play it through for the profiles sake.  Led to me giving games second chances more often and winning me over, that I might've otherwise shelved.  Nowadays, without trophies, I find myself scrutinizing games and how my time is spent more than actually playing them... and a general lack of motivation for longer, or less interesting, or less polished games.

Edited by Dreakon13

Years ago I had people on my friends list who had platinums. I decided that I wanted a plat of my own so I decided to plat the game that I was playing at the time which was Dark Souls. Once I got that first plat there was no stopping me. It did take a few games before I started going after the plat/100% on every game that I played. I doubt I could ever stop trophy hunting at this point unless Sony decided that devs no longer had to have a trophy list (making it optional) and even then there would still be plenty of games that I could still plat.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know if I could/would carry on gaming if trophies were abandoned!. I've been gaming since the late 70's so a long time and multiple eras. When trophy support arrived in 09 I didn't think much of it at first but as I acquired more games with trophy lists, I started taking more of an interest in it. I know I'll never be at the top of the gaming tree, but the trophies mean everything and often keep me playing a game whereas in the past I might of given up on it. I love plotting a possible trophy route towards platinum, love sites like this one and True Trophies (especially for their community challenges?) and love the fact that the trophies give a game so much more compared to one without.

No idea—I've just always had a drive to fully complete games, long before achievement systems existed. I have a difficult time leaving anything unfinished in life, actually.

I envy people who can simply do a casual playthrough, then move on to something else. It would save a lot of time, so I could experience more games.

• Like 1

My situation with trophy hunting is changing, and it depends mainly on my desires and games that I have. Mainly, I play not for number of trophies but platinums. If I don't like a game, I put it on the shelf, no matter how much trophies I had from that game. However, when it comes to playing for platinum, the only thing that changes is the satisfaction of getting platinum. Recently, I am not happy to get platinum, as it was, for example a year ago. I don't know what it comes from, maybe it's because I perceive the game differently than I used to. Perhaps I am also starting to grow out of them, which does not surprise me a bit.  We cannot spend all our free time playing because we are not going to enjoy life.  Nevertheless, trophy hunting can teach you many things, such as perseverance in reaching your goal, planning, and improving your hobbies.

When I started gaming I didn't care much for trophies at all. Bought one game after another without actually looking at the trophy lists. But when I first logged in here I saw what a ridiculously long list of 'uncompleted' or 'forgotten' games I had and it actually made me kind of sad. Sad in a way that there are so many good games in that list that were just abandoned or never looked at again. That's when I decided I wanted to become a trophy hunter. Clearing up my backlog and completing games that the old me would've never touched again.

To name a beautiful example; When it was free with PS plus in 2016, I installed Lords of the Fallen and played it for 10 minutes until I decided I hated the game. I left it alone for 4.5 years only to come back as a trophy hunter and absolutely LOVING the game and the trophies at the moment. The sense of accomplishment and actually cleaning up your backlog is just satisfying to me. Of course I'll keep adding games to that list but I try to complete as much as I can.

Plus (and this is a personal point perhaps) I have a friend who is the exact opposite of me when it comes to trophies. He hates them with a passion and wish they never existed. He has over 250 games played with not a single one fully completed. He doesn't have 1 platinum trophy and sometimes even refuses to complete games because they have trophies related to the story. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed Origins and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, which are pretty doable as 100% games if you ask me, are left completely on the shelf by him just because he has a hatred for completing games .So it's extremely funny to hear him scream and shout when I get yet another game completed (can't tell if he hates me for completing games, not gaming with him or the fact he can't complete them himself). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, its_ArchroniX said:

When I started gaming I didn't care much for trophies at all. Bought one game after another without actually looking at the trophy lists. But when I first logged in here I saw what a ridiculously long list of 'uncompleted' or 'forgotten' games I had and it actually made me kind of sad. Sad in a way that there are so many good games in that list that were just abandoned or never looked at again. That's when I decided I wanted to become a trophy hunter. Clearing up my backlog and completing games that the old me would've never touched again.

To name a beautiful example; When it was free with PS plus in 2016, I installed Lords of the Fallen and played it for 10 minutes until I decided I hated the game. I left it alone for 4.5 years only to come back as a trophy hunter and absolutely LOVING the game and the trophies at the moment. The sense of accomplishment and actually cleaning up your backlog is just satisfying to me. Of course I'll keep adding games to that list but I try to complete as much as I can.

Plus (and this is a personal point perhaps) I have a friend who is the exact opposite of me when it comes to trophies. He hates them with a passion and wish they never existed. He has over 250 games played with not a single one fully completed. He doesn't have 1 platinum trophy and sometimes even refuses to complete games because they have trophies related to the story. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed Origins and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, which are pretty doable as 100% games if you ask me, are left completely on the shelf by him just because he has a hatred for completing games .So it's extremely funny to hear him scream and shout when I get yet another game completed (can't tell if he hates me for completing games, not gaming with him or the fact he can't complete them himself). 

Your story is much like mine! That's so funny that your friend is straight up anti-completion. I don't even want to know how many games I have left abandoned. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Armymed101 said:

Your story is much like mine! That's so funny that your friend is straight up anti-completion. I don't even want to know how many games I have left abandoned. 

He tried trophy hunting once and bragged about having a trophy in a game (believe it was Monster Hunter World) that I didn't have. I didn't pay any attention to i at all and he gave up on trophy hunting already. Quite funny to see him get irritated.

I've personally hidden 32 trophies on my profile from games I was NEVER going to complete like Super Meat Boy for example. But as you can see from the card down below I still have 90 uncompleted games so still enough work to do. :D

A close friend of mine had been achievement hunting for years and she moved onto trophies when she got a PS4. She asked me if I wanted to do the GTAV platinum with her and I said sure (not even knowing what that meant or would entail) and I had a blast playing with my friend. It really opened up all these parts of games I was ignoring/not noticing. 

a lot of the reason I continue is to experience a game in full (it’s why a lot of the time if I’m really not enjoying a game I abandon it) but I also grew up playing sports competitively and tbh prior to trophy hunting all I ever played was call of duty and I was bit of an asshole. Trophy hunting has allowed me to be competitive with myself and also play a lot of games I wouldn’t have otherwise tried and I’m so thankful for that.

So that’s why I continue: it fuels this semi-competitive nature in me to a degree and keeps me trying things I wouldn’t normally or things that are out of my comfort zone all the while appreciating everything a game has to offer 

It’s simply not a case of ‘wanting’ to hunt.

We are forced to.

Sony forces us to.

Sony could have implemented a system where players can ‘opt-in’ to the trophy system, but they didn’t.
They could have allowed players to chose which of the games they play get associated with their trophy account, but they didn’t.

The system adds the trophies every time we play a new game. 
Every new game begins with a starter’s pistol shot by Sony.

That shot herald’s the start of a hunt, and hearing it is the price we pay for playing a game.

So the real question is, why do we chose to succeed in the hunt?

We do not have a choice about participation.

We only get one choice:

Fail, or Succeed.

When you put it like that, how can we not try?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Chase of something meaningful.  It all started with Dead Space/2. If a games great, but like gta V, I won't hunt because that's not getting everything out of the game.  Cleaning the ocean of waste, collecting arbitrary letters, find 50 stunt jumps and bridges is literally the opposite of what getting everything out of a game is, because it doesn't fit the overall narrative or theme of freedom/anarchy.  If you enjoy having a guide walk you along that's your right.  But, it's embarrassing trophy lists like that with collectables that make me question trophy hunting.  Difficulty is where it's at.  All subjective, but I'm opinionated in that collecting 100 feathers is not extending game value, AC.  There's a fine line.  

I'd rather cheese a plat, guilty like road bustle, or goofy mayo, then spend countless hours with a guide to be apart of the mob mentality.  Give me a meaningful, well made action/horror/rpg/space game and load it with creative trophies that suit the play, and include a thought-provoking hardcore run.  Thats why I hunt.  Something meaningful.  Hell, I've stopped 1 trophy short after completing the 2nd rarest trophy of the game (shadow warrior) that many avoid the game bc of, bc I will not waste my time searching nooks and crannies for collectables if it's needing a guide.  That hc run was what was meaningful, not platting it.  There's always an exception though... God bless

-with all that said I do have a goal of getting to 70+ completion percentage and then not giving a fuck about trophies as much.

Edited by SilkyJay86

My reason feels a little basic compared to some others' reasons but:

I like the number going up? xD That's pretty much it. The little trophy numbers going up and finishing off the checklist of trophies so it's all done is a nice, makes it look tidy seeing that 100% (at least for the base game, I try to not worry about dlc trophies)

For me it started before I even got a Playstation system.  I actually started on Xbox 360.  The first game I played on there that I finished was Enchanted Arms, which sadly doesn't have trophies on PSN or I would have definitely played it again.  On Xbox Enchanted Arms was a pretty fun little RPG with an easy achievement list, it was just complete the game with the best ending.  After finishing that one, I looked at some of my other games to see if I could at least get them closer to complete and found achievement guides.

Then in a couple of years I ended up on Steam when a game I really wanted was released on there, it was actually the Steam version of Ys Origin and it had achievements.  Though that wasn't the first game on there I 100%ed, that actually was Ys II.  Still, I enjoyed 100%ing games and had way too many games on Steam and by then I was addicted.

So it wasn't a huge shock that when I got a Playstation Vita for Ys: Memories of Celceta that I was already inclined to get all the trophies.

I'm a victim of checklist's and progression bars in and on games. It doesn't matter if it's a trophy list or some ingame achievement list on other platforms. If it's not 100% I try to complete it sooner or later. It just feels good and having the feeling of completion let my Dopamine level spike. I also do a lot of stuff in games I don't have to for platinum, I just want to experience "everything" possible. I don't like the thought of missing something. Sometimes that can be really annoying because I spend a lot of time with stuff that is not always worth it. But that's why I don't bother with MMOS, other MP Games or sometimes even very big open world titles, because they would likely eat me up and I'll get exhausted. To have fun is still my top priority and all in all I am happy with the way I approach games. My PSN Level on the other hand or how much trophies I have doesn't interest me at all.

Edited by Savyna
  • Like 1

My first console was a ps2, So I started into gaming without the checklist of achievements/ trophies and never knew the joy of them at that time. It's actually pretty hard for me to think back to how I viewed gaming back then. Eventually my brother got an xbox 360 and I played on it every now and then and thought the achieves were cool but felt a little lacking (even to this day, I use steam a lot to play with friends and while I try to 100% a lot of games I own, it doesn't measure up to trophies). 

Eventually I ended up getting a ps3 and the trophy system just clicked with me. I loved the notification sounds, the different types/ looks of the trophies. It made fully exploring what a game has to offer, much more rewarding now that there was a visual reward system involved. I still play loads of games without trophies, as me and a friend like to play as many as we can together, but the trophies are a real pride for me. 

On top of that, a couple years into my trophy hunting I would occasionally get messages from various people asking how I managed to earn certain trophies; either because all bug/ exploits had been patched at that point forcing people to do it legit (like Gauntlet's reach wave 50 in survival, in one sitting), or because it was a hard enough/ rare enough trophy that people wanted advice or in game help. I never really went out of my way to connect with random people online, but because of the trophy system I was able to have fun helping or being helped in games.

All in all, the trophy system just allowed me to add several new experiences and joys to and already enjoyable hobby for me.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, hunting trophies is something i do for fun. I don't care about HOW MANY platinums i get, and i don't wanna play "bad" and "easy" games, just to get platinums.

I try to platinum games i love.  A great example is GTA V. I platinummed it, and now im going for the 100%(Currently i only need 6 trophies, all related to the last DLC pack Doomsday).

I also platinummed DBZ Kakarot and South Park Fractured But Whole. So i only have 3 platinums, but it's all games i love.

In FIFA (i have got and played all games since 1997), i try to get all the trophies i can, but i never bother with ultimate team or pro clubs no more. (Got platinum for FIFA 12 and 15 on ps3 on my old PSN account). So i will not platinum another fifa, as long as i have to play a pay2win game mode. That is a type of bullshit i don't need in my life.

For me, it's a way to get most out of my favorite games. And the feeling of doing it, accomplishing it.