Platinuming Games Twice (PS4 + PS5)

mikeygjr007

So since we're in this limbo period between console generations, I've been thinking about using the PS4 -> PS5 upgrades to get 2 times the trophies/platinums. I wouldn't say I'm the biggest trophy hunter, but I wanted to reach out to everone to hear their thoughts. What would make you willing to replay the game again even with a huge backlog and knowing it can be a larger time sink.

For me, I'm looking at replaying Watch Dogs Legion and Borderlands 3 on their PS4 version so I can get the platinum for both of them (still missing that glitched BL3 Platinum :'c ).

So what do y'all think? Is any game worth platinuming twice? And by what standards? Let me know!

Edited by mikeygjr007
  • Like 1

Enjoy life how you want. You're not hurting anybody if you want to, you're not hurting anybody if you don't. If you love a game enough that you wanna plat it twice than more power to you. Would've plat'd Hitman 3 twice legitimately if the game didn't auto-pop, but I'll still be playing the shit out of it.

I guess it will depend on a game by game basis for me. If it is a new release with 2 versions, say Far Cry 6 I will just play the PS5 version. I bought a cheap disc version of Maneater on PS4 just to get the free upgrade to PS5 and recently finished that. I doubt I will go back and play the PS4 version of it. 

If a person wants to play both versions of every game, more power to them.

• Like 1

I won't be getting a PS5 for a while, but I've replayed PS3 and PS4 versions of games where I really enjoyed the trophies- Alien Isolation for example. I've even been tempted to buy a different region's version just to do it again. I know someone might say "Why not just replay the game?" but it's more about the journey to the plat that I like doing. Autopopping isn't something that appeals much to me though.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

I won't be getting a PS5 for a while, but I've replayed PS3 and PS4 versions of games where I really enjoyed the trophies- Alien Isolation for example. I've even been tempted to buy a different region's version just to do it again. I know someone might say "Why not just replay the game?" but it's more about the journey to the plat that I like doing. Autopopping isn't something that appeals much to me though.

That's true! The interest of getting trophies for accomplishments does make the replaying process more fun. I haven't experienced any games with auto-popping really but I imagine it does feel kindof empty. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeygjr007 said:

So since we're in this limbo period between console generations, I've been thinking about using the PS4 -> PS5 upgrades to get 2 times the trophies/platinums. I wouldn't say I'm the biggest trophy hunter, but I wanted to reach out to everone to hear their thoughts. What would make you willing to replay the game again even with a huge backlog and knowing it can be a larger time sink.

For me, I'm looking at replaying Watch Dogs Legion and Borderlands 3 on their PS4 version so I can get the platinum for both of them (still missing that glitched BL3 Platinum :'c ).

So what do y'all think? Is any game worth platinuming twice? And by what standards? Let me know!

The game's gotta be good, or it's gotta be quick, and honestly, I'm tiring of the quick "double plats". Yeah - I'll pick up a Rat game every now and again, but for PS5, it's gotta be good.

For example, I picked up The Witcher 3 Complete, because it was cheap, but  also because I love it, and I've heard it will get the PS5 treatment as well. That game is worth platting 3 times, because I love it. I would consider platting Nioh again, except that apparently, you only get the free upgrade if you bought the complete edition, whereas I got the game for free on PS+, and bought the DLC later.

If a game like Salt and Sanctuary gets a PS5 release, I'll definitely plat it (for a 4th time). Hell, I might even buy that one again. I'll definitely plat Demon's Souls, though that's not really the same. Double plats (of good games) are really nice when you can't figure out what to play, and don't want to spend random money.

• Like 1

I don’t stack a lot, but if it’s a good game, why not

I started the ps4 Doom Eternal knowing a ps5 version is coming and I plan to stack them 

also if I got the ps4 version for ‘free’ when I buy Resident Evil 8, I might stack that as well. unless there are too many DLC trophies, then I’d rather stick with one list 

Edited by TalalHmd

26 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

My guess is that it has something to do with this?

https://www.thegamer.com/borderlands-3-ps5-broken-trophies/

Yeah 2 trophies can never pop until a patch is put in lol. It's been a real thorn in my side but it is what it is. Multiple people have put in bug reports but no luck getting a fix yet.

• Like 1