Should PS+ and PS Now merge services?

kidson2004

9 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Was just talking to a few buddies of mine and I brought this up. Y’all think they should merge services to make a PlayStation Ultimate Pass? (I actually came up with that name lol) 

For me personally, yes, only because PS Now isn't available in my country and it would be the only chance I'd get to try it 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

Ghostbusters and Crysis 2 is gone on both, Crysis 3 is fine, MK9 is fine except Vita.

All legit recent earners on Xbox:

The Cleaner Achievement - Crysis 2 - Exophase.com

On the Payroll Achievement - Ghostbusters - Exophase.com

All hacker recent earners on PS3:

Tough Guy! Trophy - Mortal Kombat - Exophase.com

Going Commando Trophy - Crysis 3 - Exophase.com

I guess you can be forgiven for MK because it had such a confusing history but why would you think they would only close one Crysis and not the other? Almost ten years GB has been up, you have no excuse for getting that so wrong.

I do not think they should.  That would result in an increased price for people who don't have interest in the other service and that likely would cause people to drop it because they now think it's too expensive or they can't afford it.  A better idea would be to offer the option of getting a PS Plus and PS Now bundle at a rate that would be less than buying both separately.  That gives incentive for people to consider paying a bit more to add the second service if they were interested but deterred by the price, it also shows appreciation for those buying both by giving them a bit of a savings.  It also allows those who only have an interest in one service to just keep paying the same amount they normally do.  On top of the existence of a bundle, give the option that if players want to cancel that they can change to a non-bundled pack and keep one of the services.

3 hours ago, zizimonster said:

For downloable PS4 games, I believe you can just create an NA or EU account and subscribe. Download the games you want to play onto your PS4, and play them on your main PSN account (India). It works just like PS Plus or EA Play.

I am pretty sure PS Now is a streaming gaming service, u cannot download from PS Now, or can you. Enlighten me

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Leave both services separate and offer a discount package for taking both.

I like this

I was going to say merge so that more games from past consoles make it to psnow with the extra cash flow, but this may well be good enough 

But I do think a merging with a small (smalllll) price increase would be beneficial for backwards compatibility

They should make three different services.

1. Online Only/Playstation Plus/Playstation Plus Collection for $9.99 a month

2. Playstation Now for $9.99 a month

3. Online/Playstation Plus/Collection + Playstation Now + Sony New Streaming Services (Movies + Like Tv Shows + Anime) For $19.99 a month or $120.00 a year. With your typical Black Friday discounts of $100 a year.

This way everyone gets what they want. Most consumers will get service 3 since you get the best value. But if you aren't interested in that that you can get the other services. But of course your losing value. But then again, everyone has different preferences on how they spend their money. 

Sony's new streaming services for shows and movies can be easily implemented in PsNow. Psnow has major potential to be something great. Sony invested millions of dollars for live-action shows for their exclusive games and invested billions for Crunchyroll and Funimation. It would be a wise move for them to combine it with PsNow. It would help attract more casuals gamers to invest in the new service. 

If Sony is able to get half of their consumers to get Service 3. That's 50,000,000 * 20 = $1,000,000,000 a month. Not bad!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shinjiitsu said:

3. Online/Playstation Plus/Collection + Playstation Now + Sony New Streaming Services (Movies + Like Tv Shows + Anime) For $19.99 a month or $120.00 a year. With your typical Black Friday discounts of $100 a year.

This way everyone gets what they want. Most consumers will get service 3 since you get the best value. But if you aren't interested in that that you can get the other services. But of course your losing value. But then again, everyone has different preferences on how they spend their money. 

Sony's new streaming services for shows and movies can be easily implemented in PsNow. Psnow has major potential to be something great. Sony invested millions of dollars for live-action shows for their exclusive games and invested billions for Crunchyroll and Funimation. It would be a wise move for them to combine it with PsNow. It would help attract more casuals gamers to invest in the new service. 

If Sony is able to get half of their consumers to get Service 3. That's 50,000,000 * 20 = $1,000,000,000 a month. Not bad!

giphy.gif

Thissssss! 

• Like 1

Nope, I'd ask for more separation actually: gives us a cheaper service for PS Now where you only get the downloadable games for ps4, like Game Pass.

The fact of PS Now being a weird mashup between PS3 cloud games and PS4 downloadable games makes Sony not wanting to expand its server infrastructure to 3rd world countries and thus it not being available officially on those countries.

I'd love to get the PS4 PS Now games but I'm not paying $10 dollars in my US account for that because it's a lot expensive. If they localized the service here it would probably cost us around $5 dollars, on par with other services like Spotify, Game Pass, Netflix, etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shinjiitsu said:

giphy.gif

I would be absolutely amazed if Sony could get 10% of their consumers to get your service 3.

A lot of people just don't have that kind of money floating around and / or simply have no interest in it.

7 hours ago, Ac3dUd3- said:

I do think Sony needs to do something. Microsoft is killing it with Gamepass and if Sony is not careful it will be on the backfoot for this generation.

Speaking as someone who has both, PS+ AND PS Now frankly pale in comparison in terms of value and PS Now is unplayable as a streaming service for a large number of countries, I dont understand why they dont let you download and stream all of the titles on there, a lot are stream only.

MS isn't even making money of Gamepass. They are giving away subs for free and offering $1 dollar upgrades.
They are not making money. MS is subsiding the loss.

Sony is making money selling games. Them trying to match Xbox's plans wouldn't work in Sony's favor unless they also lower their investment in games.
Why aren't people asking MS to finally make a game that can win awards or good enough to top the charts? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Japanime_Gamer said:

I would be absolutely amazed if Sony could get 10% of their consumers to get your service 3.

A lot of people just don't have that kind of money floating around and / or simply have no interest in it.

Everyone has money to spend. It's how they choose to spend it. Gamepass owners spend $15 dollars a month. That's $180 dollars a year. People have the funds to pay for what they want.

You be surprised how many people claim that they are broke and can't afford something. But somehow they managed to buy the latest phones, purses, shoes, cars, etc. 

8 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

MS isn't even making money of Gamepass. They are giving away subs for free and offering $1 dollar upgrades.
They are not making money. MS is subsiding the loss.

Exactly. They are losing money on GamePass right now hence the desperate push with Gold price hike that ended terribly.

31 minutes ago, Shinjiitsu said:

giphy.gif

3 is a complete dream.
You want to add a 3rd service into the combination and make it completely free.

12 billion a year is less than what they make now.

Edited by TJ_Solo

20 minutes ago, Shinjiitsu said:

Everyone has money to spend. It's how they choose to spend it. Gamepass owners spend $15 dollars a month. That's $180 dollars a year. People have the funds to pay for what they want.

You be surprised how many people claim that they are broke and can't afford something. But somehow they managed to buy the latest phones, purses, shoes, cars, etc. 

That is simply not true.

Not everyone has $20 spare a month and I don't think many people are actually paying anywhere near $15 a month on Game pass.

More likely they upgraded their existing gold membership for $1 to turn it into Game pass, I know this is what I did.

Upgrade Your Xbox Live Gold Membership to Ultimate | Xbox

Edited by Japanime_Gamer
  • Like 1

As PS Now stands now, Sony is wise to keep them separate. There are two different demographics for the services. The people who pretty much exclusively play online (CoD, FIFA, Battlefield) would be upset about any additional price hike for single players games they won't play. I got a friend who pays the annual PS+ fee and doesn't even bother downloading the free games that release every month unless they're online multiplayer (he regrets not downloading Rocket League way back then and having to pay for it later).

Sony barely advertises PS Now as it is, likely because they don't want to deal with the everyday consumer who might not have good internet to stream PS3 titles. The best they could is offer some kind of combination like MS does with Game Pass Ultimate, but PS Now would have to change a bit to make it less confusing. It'd probably serve them best to section off the streaming titles entirely, only advertising the fact that you can download tons of PS4 games to play. PS3 era games that need to be streamed should be under a different menu, maybe even a different service name like "PS Now Online" so people won't feel cheated for paying for something they might not be able to play if they don't have good internet.

As a personal wish, it would be nice if Sony could bring their PS1, PS2, PSP, and Vita catalogues to Now. They could try to get the biggest titles from those eras (Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, TimeSplitters, FF Tactics, Persona 4 Golden) to headline, and do what MS does by advertising "over a hundred games to choose from" to make the service more appealing. They could do what Nintendo did on the Wii and 3DS, emulation wise, by having players choose the screen size (native resolution or stretched for our bigger TVs), filter settings, save states, and so on. It's probably all wishful thinking though, but it could give PS Now a boost in popularity and make some kind of combined service a good deal.

Integrating PS Now with PS Plus would be nice but PS Now is still not available in many countries. I think they don't have infrastructure to support it everywhere so having combined services is not really possible in many countries/region until they can figure it out.

1 hour ago, EdinhoN said:

Nope, I'd ask for more separation actually: gives us a cheaper service for PS Now where you only get the downloadable games for ps4, like Game Pass.

The fact of PS Now being a weird mashup between PS3 cloud games and PS4 downloadable games makes Sony not wanting to expand its server infrastructure to 3rd world countries and thus it not being available officially on those countries.

I'd love to get the PS4 PS Now games but I'm not paying $10 dollars in my US account for that because it's a lot expensive. If they localized the service here it would probably cost us around $5 dollars, on par with other services like Spotify, Game Pass, Netflix, etc.

Streaming seemed like a good alternative to backwards compatability to make money from PS3 titles but those are hardly worth anything now. It was also a nice experiement for them when every company panicked about streaming being the future of gaming and needing infrastructure.

In the event that Sony doesnt kill off PS Now, I think they'll ditch the streaming at some point.

Edited by JediKnight_327

5 minutes ago, JediKnight_327 said:

In the event that Sony doesnt kill off PS Now, I think they'll ditch the streaming at some point.

I don’t think Sony will kill off streaming or PS Now. It’s a profitable revenue stream that continues making them money off older IPs while not requiring any new hardware investment. The benefits far outweigh the lack of widespread adoption. 

It’s a service that’s not for everyone and that’s fine. That doesn’t mean it should be eliminated.