How You Got Your PS5 Story

StreetWolf29

Ho boy, have I got a tale to spin!

When they announced the PS5 pre-orders, I rushed to my GameStop to pre-order it... only for all the pre-order to be sold out. I tried again and again as the day of release came, but I couldn't get a single pre-order. Then I couldn't buy it on launch day as every boy and their grandma botted the stores to death. Christmas went by with no PS5 under the tree and I sort of gave up until my gym trainer told me to check out Facebook Marketplace. I found really good deals on PS5...

But, as one Star Wars Admiral said, "It's a trap!"

The first order I placed got canceled and my money reimbursed, then the second order didn't return the $560 I sent via PayPal. Then this weirdo was selling PS5s for $450, what a deal, only $50 less than normal price! So I asked if they had any, they said yeah, I asked to buy one, they asked "Do you have CashApp?" So I downloaded that off the Googly Play Store and used it to send $450 out of my bank account to them and asked "Will I get it on May 5?" They said "Maybe May 3? I am gonna final to the post office right now." Wait, before that they asked if I had actually sent the money and I said "The money was sent from my account, it was paid."

So the May 3, nothing appears. May the 4th be with you but it wasn't with me. And then...

"It's a trap!"

They cancelled the order so I wasn't getting the PS5.

My father was pissed and demanded that I demand the money back, but any attempt to contact them failed. So I said "SCREW THIS" and went to Amazon and found someone with five remaining PS5 consoles left... I had to $799, but $66 for shipping, so I spent another $865 on an Amazon Order. I was just lucky for the Government's Stimuli checks or I would have been SOL 4EVER. :(

UPS had an issue on the 6th, but then the tracker said "Will arrive today by 8 PM." I thought it was a guess because the estimated arrival was May 11 at the earliest and May 18 at the worst. But then I saw the UPS truck and rushed out juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust as they were getting in the truck to drive off and had placed their "Sorry we missed you."

Turns out my doorbell is on permanent hunger strike and won't ring, so I didn't hear them slamming the doorbell. Thank the Twelve I saw that truck and was fast enough to get to the door or I would have lost another PS5 chance.

But now I have my PS5, downloaded some PS4 games on it(Persona 5 Royal, Trials of Mana, World of FF) and canceled my current Square-Enix account to make a new one to enter the FFXIV open beta. So that's my story and I am sticking to it.

MORALE OF THE STORY: Never buy anything from Facebook. I was lucky to survive the $2000 hit on my bank account. Never got $960 back. ? Also, I should have just bought from Amazon and paid the $800 up front instead of trying to get a deal.

On 3/13/2021 at 3:32 PM, Rexyfollower0 said:

But the damn bot using scalpers made it impossible!

Yeah, the botters really came out in an army of evil. People blame the game stores for doing their own pre-orders months in advance. Botters are pure evil.

Edited by winter_bird_22
  • Like 1

Well, had mine pre-ordered before it's actual release, so it was pretty easy for me.

Admittedly, paying R$5000 (Aroiund US$950) wasn't " pretty easy", but hey, at least it's not as loud as a PS4 haha

There was actually a price reduction after I had my pre-order set, so the store gave me back the difference in store credits, so I used it to buy another Dualsense.

Stupid shit broke after it's first charge, but thankfully I managed to get a replacement.

Edited by DesmaBR

Honestly I wasn’t planning to buy PS5 until God of War Ragnarok release. However, at (25th March) I just returned from a real bad job interview, and I wanted to turn on my PS4 but It didn’t work and I was on the verge of crying when my brother texted me (my hero) that a website is currently selling PS5 and I should order immediately ... I ordered one instantly and after that I checked again to see they sold out .. thank god I was fast enough to grab one 

I was in a EB Games in Montréal... Yes, i am from Québec. I said to the seller, I know, you don't have PS5. He said. Sure sir, i have one for you if you one... I fell unconscious and when i come back. I said, SHE IS MINE.

So i bought the console + 5 games + 1 other controller + headset = i am so poor since a month.

But so happy to have it. Now, i only need some friend to play with lol.

• 3 weeks later...

On the night/early morning of November 11th/12th, Launch Day of the PS5, I was looking at different websites such as Amazon, Best Buy etc looking to find one.

I saw on twitter someone had mentioned that Playstation Direct might have some in stock later so I went to to website and there was a hour long que. I imagine hundreds if not thousands of other people went to Playstation Direct because soon the que went to 4 hours if not longer with some saying the website crashed. Anyway, I just kept the tab open and then there was a 5 min que for me. As the minutes ticked away, I got more nervous hoping that there was gonna be some in stock. They it was my turn, I got to the website and on the disk version of the PS5, it said Add to Cart. I added it to my cart, put the credit card info and ordered it. Got a confirmation email and got the PS5 delivered to my door in 3 to 4 days later.

Pre-ordered my disc version the day after the big reveal back in September 2020 without any problems actually. So I got my PS5 on release day.

The day before the release I got a pre-order spot with an other webshop for a digital version and my friend paid for that PS5 so we could both game together on release day ?

So my experience with obtaining a PS5 on release was that it was actually pretty easy to get one lol

I tried a few times from different retailers but it kept selling out before I could checkout or the website would keep crashing. I eventually got an order through but it was cancelled because they oversold, this was before they brought in the queue system for ordering them. I kept trying and kept failing and one day got a call from the place who cancelled my order, they got more stock in but instead of putting them all up for sale on their site again, they were ringing the people they cancelled on one by one and offering them a PS5. I thought it was very cool of them to do it that way. Funny part is they weren't even a game shop, they're mainly a grocery shop, and they were handling the sales better than the actual game shops lol.

Boyfriend got a Twitter alert from one of the accounts that post links right away. Clicked it and saw GameStop had the two controller with games bundles left. So he hit that and kept refreshing (since it kept timing out).

Well the bastard told me he didn’t get one and 5 days later I walked in from work to it sitting on my kitchen table ?

He said he tried all of December to get me one for Christmas that it was my late Christmas present ?

I've been searching and waiting for one since the pre orders, tried to get one for ages. As I got insomnia staying up late wasn't a problem, but I never had any luck with the Argos drop and every time I woke up to Game, Very, Amazon etc drops, I even was too late or stuck in queue's for ages. I even had my friends and family search high and low for one, but I was finally able to get one last week thanks to my stupid impulse spending. I said to myself I was willing to wait for it, I had my logical head on to not buy from the scalpers, even when CEX had it for £650, I refused to buy it. I have never brought at scalpers price in 30 years, always at RRP.

Now I am still kicking myself for buying it this way, but as part of my BPD, we are known for our impulsive behaviour. I went shopping normally last week and spotted 2 ps5 in CEX, I thought I would go in and get a game as normal, but my impulsive behaviour kicked in and logic goes out the window, I was literally standing the queue knowing I was going to get a PS5, normally I can control the behaviour and convince myself not to be impulsive. But this was a time where I couldn't control it and my head just said buy the PS5, lucky I had money saved up, walked up to the till and whispered I want to buy a PS5 and a controller.

While I am happy I got the PS5 finally in a shop, I am not happy that my mental health impulsive behaviour kicked in and brought it for me at £808. Hopefully no one will flame me for this, as I feel bad enough as it is I paid stupid prices, due to my mental health. I have tested it out, playing on SV5 and T7, love how quick it loads, now I just want to finish my tales game, so I can finally play Spidey and check this hype on Astro. 

Right after the price reveal presentation I was just scrolling through reddit until I saw a post saying that preorders were open at GameStop. As soon as I saw that I rushed to GameStop as fast as I could to hopefully secure a preorder. There was only one other person there doing the same as me so I was successful! I was also to help out a lot of my US friends to get preorders by telling them to get their asses down to their local GameStops. 

I followed a twitter-account, who sends out an information if there's a PS5 available in one of the bigger shops like amazon, gamestop and some german stores.

2. February at 9am, i was working (on a building site) and i got a notification from twitter on my smartphone. I quickly clicked the link and to my suprise Amazon.de still had a PS5 available. I put it in the shopping basket and was praying for luck^^ I had luck and filled out the order and payment information. I decided to pay with my credit card and made a big mistake: I didn't know that there was a new rule (with 2021) for credit card-payments. Now i needed an extra Pin-Code, that i had at home -.- I couldn't change my payment and finish my order... I was "shocked" xD

But still, there were PS5's available and i tried to order again => i got error-messages.

At this moment the boss of the company i'm working in and some others were going through the building for a contruction meeting. I had to hide by going from room to room^^

I called my girlfriend. The first time in history of our relationship she didn't answere the call ? A few minutes later she called back and i told her also to try to order the PS5 from Amazon.de RIGHT NOW! She laughed at me, but tried it. Unfortunately the PS5 was'n available anymore :'(

I was sad a little and told myself "My luck again. What did i expect ? That's typical for me!" and inside i was done with the PS5.

A few hours later i get an automatic message from my Amazon-App: There were problems with my payment. If i still want the article, i have to change the payment.

I followed the link, changed the payment and 1 day later i had a PS5 at home ?

Got pretty lucky with mine. Was just taking a stroll when I randomly decided to go to Gamestop to pick some PSN credit. Happen to see someone walk by in the store with a PS5 and 'almost' didn't ask if they had some more in stock (I thought it was a pre-order).

Nope, you could just outright buy one, so I did. ?

Thank you random person! If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have mine~ xD

My girlfriend (now fiance) managed to nab one from Walmart when they restocked the website two days before Thanksgiving. She'd been trying to get one for weeks using an app that alerted her on restocks and had all her info saved on the sites for quick purchase. She'd failed time and time again and was getting really depressed about it because it was her biggest hope to surprise me with it for Christmas. She managed to keep the entire thing a secret from me and even had me fooled on Christmas day by giving me all my other gifts, excluding any of the games I got for it, and wrapping the whole day up and making me think I'd already opened all my gifts. She was hiding it in an enormous gift bag with all the games she'd gotten me for it in a separate room in the closet. She kept the ruse up even after I'd proposed to her!

But when she walked into the room with that bag and had me start opening it, I nearly shit myself at how she'd managed to nab one of the damn things with all the stock problems. Ended up getting Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Godfall, The Pathless, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk 2077, and Crash 4: It's About Time for the starting games with it as well.

Edited by Brakkis

I got mine at launch pretty easily but I believe its because of me knowing it would be a nightmare to get and adequately preparing for it. When the Sony PS5 reveal ended with the price being announced, it was around 4.30am in my country, so I immediately went to check one of the local shops fully expecting to see nothing since Singapore usually gets the consoles one month later etc vs the europe/us release date but lo and behold, the shop had a listing up and demanded a $50 deposit so I immediately order it right then and there without even knowing the final local pricing. When I wake up the next day morning, the same shop had taken down their pre order page but had emailed me that they have received my deposit.  I was still worried that similar to the US, my order may not be fulfillled so 2 days later after the official pricing and release details were announced, I tried to get another backup set just in case. Tried one or retailers but sites kept crashing but when i went on amazon, the ps5 had just gone up so I got a pre order from there as well. In the end, I managed to get 2 PS5s relatively hassle free. 

I followed a few Twitter accounts that were posting about PS5s being in stock. Scalpers and inconvenient timing made it take about a month. The night that I successfully ordered it, PS5s were available on Amazon and people were having trouble adding it to their carts. I was having the same trouble, but I persevered and finally managed to get it in my cart and finalize the purchase. The following week, it arrived.

In Europe it's really hard to find a PS5. Even if one surface online for sale it's probably costs twice the retail price.

A placed a pre-order in 4 shops, and I was waiting for months but nothing happened.

Then last week I managed to find a store that jack got a stock update, they didn't have preorder option, so they just sold what they had when they got it.

I was lucky enough to snipe one for myself. I had to pay a little more than the retail price, but not much.

Persistency is what got me mine. I was caught off-guard by the sudden pre-sale (I expected it a day later) and was a tad late. Thankfully, the Best Buy website was having a lot of issues and after hours of trying, I was finally able to get my pre-order in at night and had it in my hands on the release date. 

Pre-order Japan Nov 2020, $80 shipping and arrived on the 16th, I have spent maybe 5 minutes playing actual PS5 games. The fact is I have friends that secured their own and an extra for me.

However the XB Series X I managed to get retail here, I am yet to see an actual XBSX or PS5 in the shops.