How You Got Your PS5 Story

StreetWolf29

Okay so I spent a week trying to find one in December of last year. I saw a buncha people getting arrested because Walmarts would stock them and then refuse to sell, yadda yadda. You had to come in person during a pandemic. Not the way I would like to do business.

Eventually I got a lead that Target would restock around 5 AM. I checked, it didn't restock, we assumed it would be 6 AM. I realized I could preset my information, so I did that. When I went back to the page, the stock had already gone live a minute or two before.

I panicked, each location I tried to buy one from said it was sold out (but then would list more). I kept trying until I got one 40 minutes away from me.

The best part? I did it the day before my birthday.

And that's the story of my PS5.

Minus the part where I spent a month doing surveys on A-Survey-Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named for extra pocket change.

Edited by KurisuKaname

Went trough the many attempts of the fiasco of the failed pre order.My grandaughter & husband said I could have theirs they had just acquired from Bestbuy.I could have it being that they now have a newborn baby & they would not have much gaming playtime for a while & still have a ps4 anyway.Lucked out thanks to them.

Now have the ps5 with new Samsung 65inch Q90T tv & HW-Q950T/ ZC sound system.

Non stop Entertainment.  

I'll keep mine on the somewhat shorter side (as not to bore everyone to tears):

• When the PS5 pre-orders went live early (thanks to the idiots at Wal-Mart jumping the gun and all of the other retailers following them), I was unfortunately at work. By the time I got home later that evening, pretty much everywhere was sold out of PS5's (both the digital and disk versions).
  • Spent the next few months visiting dozens of websites, traveled to thirteen different stores (several Best Buys, Targets, and Gamestops). Stood out in line at two different Gamestops with big crowds (between sixty to roughly 120 people) waiting for a chance to pre-order the limited stock being offered, but failed to have any luck.
  • Put in two week's worth of time browsing around eBay looking for a pre-order disk version of the PS5 that was selling for less than $1,000.00 from a reputable, established seller (someone with 5 star rating who had been active on eBay as a seller for more than two full years).
  • Finally found a PS5 pre-order with the disk drive going for under $1,000 (was being sold for $925.00) from a seller who met my criteria for purchase (been selling on eBay for more than two years, perfect 5-star rating from buyers)
  • Swooped in and purchased that PS5 as fast as my subpar internet would allow me to go (paid the full $925.00).
  • Waited several weeks (until the launch day of the PS5 was nearly upon us).
  • Got an email from Amazon (forwarded by the seller I bought his pre-order from) confirming the shipment of my PS5 would arrive on November 13th, 2020 (breathed a huge sigh of relief, knowing I was fortunate enough to not be one of those scam victims you hear about from time to time on eBay) (remember the scammers selling photos of a PS5 for huge $$$?) https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-28-ebay-issues-warning-to-scammers-selling-photos-of-ps5s
  • Waited the final three days until the official launch day arrived for the PS5 (November 12th, 2020).
  • My PS5 arrived in the early afternoon of November 13th, 2020 while I was at work (had my parents go and pick up the shipment when it arrived so nobody would have the chance to steal it off of the porch).
  • Got home from work later that evening (roughly seven hours later), picked up my PS5 from my parents (who had it sitting on their dining table), went home, opened it up, and set up my new PS5 in my bedroom.
  • Stayed up into the early hours of the next day (November 14th), fired up my PS5 for the first time and dove right into Astro's Playroom.

....and the rest is history.

Edited by MossyOakRcn42
  • Like 1

Walmart.. 12/17... somehow it went through online and it was to be delivered 1/12.. I wasn’t expecting it to go through.. wrong account.. didn’t have the card info from the back.. used our home account to pay for it lmao! Even through I had to look for the card and go up and down the stairs.. I was able to get one.. the gf was like wtf you so happy about but man.. it came like 12/26-12/30( don’t remember) but man.. it was something. Been working on backlog of PS4 games.. won’t spend money on new games anymore with my crazy backlog

How I got my PS5? I looked on GAME after the event in September, saw they were on sale, and I bought it. It arrived on launch day via Royal Mail.

The fun thing is, the console broke within days, corrupting the internal SSD every time I played a PS5 game, forcing me to wipe the internal and stat again - losing all saves, media, installed games, and profile data. So, I sent it back and Sony gave me a new console within 10 days. This console has the same issue but it only happens once every 4-5 weeks, so I have to regularly back up the internal SSD to my external drive so it's a quicker restore process than downloading all 500gb again (I have 42 PS5 games installed).

I really need to send it back, again, along with my drifting controller - but I can't be bothered yet. 

twitter notifications let me know of a gamestop drop last week in February about 7pm. i was clicking like crazy until i got it in my cart. had my payment information saved and sped like a bat out of hell until i got the confirmation.

though i haven't hooked up my ps5 until today. i was too busy working through trails of cold steel 2 for the past 3 weeks.

3 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

Right when pre-orders hit, I was going crazy trying to add it to my cart on the Target App for hours at a time. Kept refreshing and adding over and over for hours. 

Finally got it one to go through checkout, but didn't realize the app still had my old address! So I went to change it and somehow saved it AS THE WRONG ADDRESS AGAIN. Now I would have no idea where it was headed, so I tried to change it once more. No dice. It wouldn't allow a second address change. 

I ended up cancelling the order like a total idiot, thinking I'd be able to get another in my cart. That never happened and I've been hunting ever since : (

I know you'll get a PS5 soon. The secret is using Spiel Times on Discord or Twitter and trying to snag a PS5 bundle if you want to.

I just happened to check my email at work about a minute after Best Buy sent out the launch stock email and I had one within a few minutes.  If I hadn't decided to check my email that night, I definitely wouldn't have gotten one, as I thought (like so many did) that they weren't opening up orders until the next day!

So i do not have mine ytet but I have one ordered now (that I will be getting on the 24th of this month). From Best Buy I was able to get one in my cart, and had to change my location to get into the place order (I was able to change it to my local Best Buy) and now im just waiting to go pick it up. All I am hoping it goes smoothly I hope curbside pickup works well. 

Got mine on release on the PS Direct Queue. I had like 3 devices open and ready to go. But even after an hour of being in a queue it said it sold out. But strangely it had stock again right when I got through the queue. So I was lucky I guess. 

Preordered one at Webbhallen on the 24'th of January 2020, the preorders had opened up in april/may 2019. Closer to launch l was notified i would not get a PS5 in 2020. On launch day I got information that Elgiganten would open up for orders at 09:00, created an account and did some practise runs with the checkout and at 09:02 I had my order. Selected the free delivery option so had to wait until the next week for delivery. The preorder from Webbhallen showed up just before chrismas and I sold that to a friend for retail price.

/Viktor 

It was easy - all I did was wait until the Amazon Alert I had set to email me saying they had stock...

...It only took 127 years, but on the ‘eve of my 166th birthday, in winter 2148, I got that email, ordered, and it arrived by carrier warp-drive the next parsec.

Now all I need is for the time-travel companies to reduce their prices a little, and for the Mutant Hordes to settle down outside my NeoBunker, and I will be able to send it back to my younger self, in a time before the Great Electricity Wars, so that naive, hopeful young man can try playing it.

• Like 1

Started making lowball offers on ebay for used digital ps5(probably not scalpers) after my ps4 died and couldnt be fixed.  After about a day found a seller who wanted money asap.  Package dropped by ups, plate broken, Seller didnt purchase insurance and made me a good offer.  Ended up spending less than $300US for ps5 digital, CMP black plates(not yet delivered) and ps5 headset.   No warranty for a dropped ps5, so a bit of a gamble, but working well so far.

Edited by maisie666

My FIL is a regular customer of JD williams and is on their email list for deals and stuff. Last week he got an email saying they're offering a limited-time PS5 bundle offer. He asked my fiancee if we'd be interested and we jumped on it. Had a disk-drive PS5 along with 2 controllers, a charger stand, a headset and 2 games the next day. Very happy with our purchase!

Edited by ShadowIZ_

I snagged one at Walmart back in December after striking out countless times with the online drops across PS Direct, Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, etc. This was when Walmart was unofficially starting to sell them in stores but many seemed to start having luck this route. I kept tracking the in-store inventory via their site before they took it down. I went at lunch time during the work day to one and waited a few hours with some others since the inventory online indicated they had received some. The staff was being very stingy and not acknowledging whether or not they had any. I finally had to bail to get back to work, haha! That same day, another Walmart showed as having stock so I headed out there. After being told that they may be on the truck but to check again the next day, I tried my luck with another associate who was willing to check and snagged one for me.

Looking back now I got lucky. It was after the second PS5 stream where they announced the price. They said pre orders would happen the following day but Smyths UK sent a random email at 11:45pm saying they had them for order so I grabbed 2 of them, literally 10 minutes later they were all gone. That’s when all hell broke loose online and everyone started crashing every website looking for one