Alan Wake 2

Abby_TheLastofUs

25 minutes ago, ShadowReplicant said:

No physical copy = waiting for a deep, deep sale. Simple as that.

Pretty much where i am at. Removing choice from the consumer is never a good idea...That being said i am pretty sure they will release a physical complete edition, once the season pass content is out.

• Like 2

And so it begins...Remedy is about to start something horrible here and they don't even realize it yet. Because once one company takes the leap of doing something that will be met with disdain and malice from the fanbase, other companies will start to do the same. 

We all knew this was coming, heading into an All Digital age was, unfortunately, inevitable. But the "horrible" thing is going to start a huge division in the game industry...with companies that will release discs thinking they're doing something good for the people vs. companies going digital only thinking they're doing something good for the industry veiling it as cost cutting measures. 

I admit, I hate this news...I love physical discs. Not because digital isn't more convenient, but because I actually feel like I OWN what I paid for with a disc. And yes I like having a collection too...digital games just kinda of feel....there. I can't stare at them on a shelf and admire the art that they are. But again I'm part of the side that going to lose this war...but I also thought we had more time, I really thought this wasn't going to start until Next Gen. But this is going to have a trickle down effect that's going to erode physical media faster than people think. 

If anything, Limited Run Games might have to think about expanding their output. Releasing digital only AAA titles on disc for those who want it rather than just focusing on Indie titles. Could be lucrative for them. 

• Like 3

I don't even know anyone that buys Physical anymore. Digital is so much cheaper. Cheap PSN credit and game sharing makes it very cheap, plus a lot now buy from places like Turkey where it's much much cheaper. Currently £15.85 there, go halves with someone, less that £8 each. And that's not even the cheapest place. 

I don't understand why so many people are up in arms about no physical.

So many indie games are digital only, and some get limited run games editions, but that's it. Typically people don't refuse to buy it because it doesn't have a physical version, but because its a single-player "AAA", suddenly it's an offense? Ultimately they are doing it to keep the cost low, which is at least somewhat a pro consumer move. I understand some people prefer physical, but we're living in an increasingly digital age and boycotting a game because it's digital-only seems borderline ridiculous to me. To not consider buying digital only games is limiting yourself quite a lot, in my opinion. 

Speaking candidly, the switch to digital-only is inevitable in the next decade or so, and its in part to make full-price release lower then I don't get the hate. Remedy games often go on sale, so there will be affordable opportunities to get this game for consumers.

Edited by PhantomFear94

1 hour ago, PhantomFear94 said:

I don't understand why so many people are up in arms about no physical.

So many indie games are digital only, and some get limited run games editions, but that's it. Typically people don't refuse to buy it because it doesn't have a physical version, but because its a single-player "AAA", suddenly it's an offense? Ultimately they are doing it to keep the cost low, which is at least somewhat a pro consumer move. I understand some people prefer physical, but we're living in an increasingly digital age and boycotting a game because it's digital-only seems borderline ridiculous to me. To not consider buying digital only games is limiting yourself quite a lot, in my opinion. 

Speaking candidly, the switch to digital-only is inevitable in the next decade or so, and its in part to make full-price release lower then I don't get the hate. Remedy games often go on sale, so there will be affordable opportunities to get this game for consumers.

You know you're not wrong about the future being mostly digital , but these companies have a history of delisting video games from the market place, never to be played again. Unless you seek out an emulator of some sort. People have a right to be upset about such practices especially if they've fallen victim to it. In my case I can count on 2 hands how many PS3 games that I've once purchased and are now delisted. I'm also sort of a video game collector and prefer a physical copy. I support both methods of game purchasing but I do favor one over the other. 

Edited by ForsakenTHANOS
  • Like 1

The first one was OK. I never played the original version back in the day so there was no nostalgia attached to it, and I found the gameplay to be a little clunky, repetitive, and frustrating at times. But I did enjoy the overall atmosphere and tone of the story. I’m intrigued about the shift towards survival horror in the sequel and would definitely check it out for that aspect alone. Survival Horror is fast becoming one of my favourite genres to play.

not sure how this is Alan Wake 2 when what, 50%? of the game will be a new random character, but I will gibe it a try since it is one of the few decent lookung ssingleplayer games still coming out in this age of dead service vottom tier cartoonnetwork looking games

THQ will more than likely convince them. Problem is, how long behind will the physical be? I hope sales damn near flop because of it being digital only though. Maybe then Remedy may decide that having an option, is the best choice for all players. You want a digital download, you can have it. You want a physical copy, you can have it. Leave the choice in the hands of the player. 

So since there's no physical, I'll be skipping. A shame too since i was really hyped.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the game but hearing there will be no physical release just sucks! Their rationale sucks, their lack of response to fans about this sucks, and their lack of understanding the benefits of physical games sucks. Sucks all around.

Edited by TrophyChief
  • Like 1

"to help keep the game at $60" give me a break. If it's digital only...it doesn't need to be $60! Games don't NEED to be $70 right now, much less $60. So taking away the plastic, games have no business being anywhere near this price tag anymore. You really want to impress me in the all digital age...then make digital AAA games actual affordable prices based on lack of physical production labor and cost of materials. We'll always have to contend with not owning anything anymore...but at least you're making the transition make sense rather than manipulating consumers into thinking this is a good idea. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3

Horrible precedent to set and the pathetic excuses behind it are laughable. You just know other companies will see this and jump on the bandwagon, so I really hope enough people make their voices heard to stamp it out quickly. Sony have already been testing the waters regarding this over the last couple of years by not including discs in collector's editions of their games and also not releasing physical versions of their PSVR 2 games (Horizon Call of the Mountain). Their excuse for not including discs in collector's editions is equally pathetic. This is just awful to see. I love physical games, it's something I always advocate for. So many benefits and virtually no drawbacks versus digital.

We all get that digital is the future, Christ, it's the present when you look at the numbers, but that doesn't mean physical should go away. Physical should always remain an option for those who want it, just as digital is currently an option for those who want it. Taking away options is never a good thing, it's that simple. 

• Like 4

On 5/25/2023 at 8:45 AM, WiktorM101 said:

And that probably means Alan Wake remastered disc didn't sell well.

Mentioned it in my own post but the remaster didn't sell well in general, which Remedy was pretty open about. In their financials from last year they directly said the remaster had not recouped its cost. Which let's be honest, it's basically a port so it couldn't have cost that much to do relatively speaking. It must has flopped hard.

That's why I think they're trying to cut as many costs as they can here. And people are completely missing the point on the no physical thing, it's not about saving money because printing discs are expensive (they aren't really) it's more about killing second hand sales. Physical copies of recently released games can always be found cheaper than digital if you actually bother to look, especially for games that underperform/flop (hence why half of Ubisoft's stuff is like $30 two weeks after release.) And then when you get a year or two away from the release physical prices tend to bottom out entirely and digital can't compete at all. I bought a copy of Control Ultimate Edition for like $6 for example, cheapest it's ever been on PSN is $10. The idea here is that people who wait in the short term to just buy a used copy on Amazon/Ebay/Gamestop/whatever will have to buy it digitally instead and Epic will get part of the cut as opposed to none of it.

Though like I said I don't really see this logic actually working. It's easier to just skip the game entirely and wait for a steep discount when there are so many other video games to play. Most hardcore gamers (which is all Remedy appeals to it seems) have backlogs they can just play through. I have nothing against digital games at all (I own way more digital than physical, even if I prefer physical) but I am never going to pay full price for a digital game. It's easier to just wait for the game to hit PS+, game pass, or whatever.

On 25/05/2023 at 4:36 PM, GUDGER666 said:

I don't even know anyone that buys Physical anymore. Digital is so much cheaper. Cheap PSN credit and game sharing makes it very cheap, plus a lot now buy from places like Turkey where it's much much cheaper. Currently £15.85 there, go halves with someone, less that £8 each. And that's not even the cheapest place. 

Digital is so much cheaper, all you have to do is faff around with foreign accounts and break the T&Cs. ?

• Like 2