"We will make sure that the PS5 generation will have more dedicated software than ever before", according to Sony boss Jim Ryan.

Aranea Highwind

Liar. And dumb.

Unless Sony:

- keeps selling what would be DLCs as full games and consumers will pay full price for them (possible, unfortunately most consumers are idiots), and the dumbing of trophies does goes towards that

- Sony has kickass computers and software no one dreams that make AAA games almost alone (see the liar above)

It's basic economics. It will be amazing if new games for next gen will take 2x time and resources to create, exactly what happened in all previous ones. If you add that Sony keeps closing more studios and laying off more people than it hires this is impossible. A pattern that will be seen is the continuos delays that all delivery dates have lately.

And this is a businessman. Oops, precisely.

"The Vita will provide PS3 class performance".

He should try to do his work instead of just keeping giving pointless interviews and shoot himself in the foot (yes he's still dreaming for the "Horse and Hound" one). If the product is sensational it will sell for itself. He just keeps looking like a desperate snake oil manufacturer.

EDIT Oh so sorry. I could have been so dumb. Of course this is possible. Jim Ryan will solo create, code and design all these AAA games. In record time. This between all the interviews, which of course come first. Really, really stupid of me. I love Jym Ryan!

Edited by cris3f

5 minutes ago, JourneySilvers said:

Both PS and Xbox keep boasting about upcoming exclusives (or I guess in Xbox's case, Microsoft purchasing Bethesda at least implies they're going to aim for important exclusives) but we haven't really seen anything big come out of it yet for the new gen.

Between the pandemic (both slowing development and encouraging developers to support the last gen consoles longer due to next gen shortages) and the fact it's only been a few months since launch, I don't think this is terribly unreasonable.

• Like 3

to be more clear, he's talking about console and timed exclusives, not actual true exclusives, those will be very few, actually the least a PS gen ever had, for example even the new AAA multiplayer game they made a deal with ex Bungie devs for is advertised as a console exclusive so that tlls you it will be on PC day one, and that is the trend so far this gen, PC+PS5, instead of console only like it was for PS1-4

58 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The ironic thing, is that with the exception of exclusivity maybe... all of these things I think are bred from Microsoft playing second fiddle for almost two generations now.  Cost effective subscriptions aren't something a company does out of the kindness of their heart, the PR is almost as valuable as the money for them right now.  Putting a loveable gamer like Phil Spencer in charge (who I think is phenomenal in the position he's in fwiw) probably doesn't happen if they aren't trying to make these grassroots connections to the gaming community.  Backwards compatibility doesn't inherently make Microsoft money, it's a big PR play.

I'm not meaning to make this sound like a bad thing either.  In ideal circumstances companies SHOULD be putting the consumer first.  But my point is, when you need consumers, you make moves to get them.  When you got them, you don't...

I think Microsoft is going to have a great opportunity to overtake Sony if/when some of these acquisitions final pay off... but anyone who does jump ship solely because they think Microsoft cares about them, should prepare themselves for that happy gamer-loving smile to turn into an angry money-loving frown if they ever do land on top.

Great points about Microsoft playing catch up related to Game Pass.  That's what successful companies do: they find something that their competition doesn't have or can't do or both and bring it to market. 

Regarding backwards compatibility, again, I agree it doesn't really make Microsoft much money, if any.  It is a PR move, no doubt about it.  But that's how you draw new customers into your ecosystem.  You draw in the customer for little to no profit and open them up to your community where you can sell them other things that are more profitable.  I'm in Michigan so I can equate this to buying a car: you get a customer to buy a Ford Focus, the next time they might by the Ford Fusion, then the Ford Explorer (very profitable for Ford), etc.  Maybe the initial investment is low but their playing the long game.

In the end, I agree with your points.  It will be interesting to see what happens during this generation.  Microsoft is definitely playing catch up while Sony needs to stay on the gas.  Less activity in the major news stories, I think, are causing the perception that Sony is resting on their laurels but I think they have a good strategy.  Although, I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed they they haven't made more acquisitions knowing their direct competition is doing it at a significant pace.

Edited by Paperclip1776
edit wording

46 minutes ago, LockheedPrime said:

to be more clear, he's talking about console and timed exclusives, not actual true exclusives, those will be very few, actually the least a PS gen ever had, for example even the new AAA multiplayer game they made a deal with ex Bungie devs for is advertised as a console exclusive so that tlls you it will be on PC day one, and that is the trend so far this gen, PC+PS5, instead of console only like it was for PS1-4

Pretty sure the concept of "exclusive" has evolved to the point on console to accepting that a game will be on PC but still be viewed as "exclusive" on a console if it is only on one console. 
At least that's how I viewed it when I had to wait for Black Desert to come to PS4 while it was a console exclusive on Xbox. Yes, it was on PC. I even played it on PC 1st.  The same logic extends to games like Genshin Impact and mobile. The game is still labelled as a console exclusive.  

If you want to say this wasn't how the term was treated during the PS1 era, fine. For me the term "exclusive" for consoles also worked as I described when a game was at the Arcades but only ported to 1 console. For console gamers that game looked like a console exclusive even if they could play it at an arcade.

The level of clarity you want to highlight isn't something the average gamer really focuses on.

Edited by TJ_Solo

54 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Between the pandemic (both slowing development and encouraging developers to support the last gen consoles longer due to next gen shortages) and the fact it's only been a few months since launch, I don't think this is terribly unreasonable.

I agree its not terribly unreasonable, but its disappointing nonetheless. A lot of the games that encompassed the hype around the PS5 reveal just keep getting pushed further and further back. Especially Deathloop, I was very excited for that one. Not angry about it, just making observations. I really hope the trend of announcing games too early and then pushing releases back and back is a product of COVID and not a new standard. 

22 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Pretty sure the concept of "exclusive" has evolved to the point on console to accepting that a game will be on PC but still be viewed as "exclusive" on a console if it is only on one console. 
At least that's how I viewed it when I had to wait for Black Desert to come to PS4 while it was a console exclusive on Xbox. Yes, it was on PC. I even played it on PC 1st.  The same logic extends to games like Genshin Impact and mobile. The game is still labelled as a console exclusive.  

If you want to say this wasn't how the term was treated during the PS1 era, fine. For me the term "exclusive" for consoles also worked as I described when a game was at the Arcades but only ported to 1 console. For console gamers that game looked like a console exclusive even if they could play it at an arcade.

The level of clarity you want to highlight isn't something the average gamer really focuses on.

exclusive means only one platform, you can't debate reality unless you have a reality stone

5 minutes ago, LockheedPrime said:

exclusive means only one platform, you can't debate reality unless you have a reality stone

You'd have to debate the dictionary.
That word doesn't mean "only one".

Excluding means to exclude one or more groups. It doesn't mean excluding all other groups.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Yet again, people are knit picking words that weren't even used in the quote, but are someone's interpretations of the words that were translated by someone else.

It's really interesting how everybody and their mother just feels the need to spin everything as a negative these days, I'm really put off from engaging with forums here because PS5 is just not fun to talk about right now. Sony has made some poor decisions of late but the entire platform hasn't become awful all of a sudden like a lot of people now seem to think it is. Hot take, Jim Ryan isn't even all that terrible in the grand scheme of things when compared to some of the worst leaders of game companies- Mattrick, Yamauchi etc.

And let's not pretend that Xbox is guaranteed to have amazing exclusives that are gonna be coming Day One to Game Pass (which they've been talkign about for years now yet nothing is really on the horizon yet, is it?)- look at how Crackdown 3 turned out, the supposed test run of this Day One Game Pass exclusive model, as well as the state they had to audacity to think they could launch Halo Infinite in before the backlash forced them to delay it. I mean, I do hope that they're good because when competing companies are doing well it only works out well for all of us, but I see no reason to believe PlayStation will not continue to put out critically-acclaimed topsellers and GotY contenders year in year out; Returnal is shaping up to be something special already, for example.

Honestly could not give a shite whether some of the PS exclusives go to PC- I've played the games already and I'm glad that now more people can enjoy them and get in on the PS Studios titles and help us to get more of them in the future; Days Gone releasing on PC could very well help hopes for a sequel to have a second wind. 

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 4

Good luck getting more than the PS1 or 2 generation. I'm sure the list of PS4 exclusives is around 20 and keeps dwindling each time they port something to PC. Though I guess if you count shit like Life of Black Tiger Sony could get millions of exclusives overnight. I've had less than zero interest in many of the PS4's exclusives and of the ones I played I only enjoyed Bloodborne so this statement makes me laugh my ass off. Godspeed, Jim Ryan, you and your exclusives can burn in hell.

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

You'd have to debate the dictionary.
That word doesn't mean "only one".

Excluding means to exclude one or more groups. It doesn't mean excluding all other groups.

I don't know what bootleg dictionary you have, because when I type "exclusive definition" on google, I get 3 definitions that specifically say something EXCLUDING ALL BUT ONE

"excluding or not admitting other things."

"restricted to the person, group, or area concerned."

"an item or story published or broadcast by only one source."

within the context of the discussion, all these 3 examples follow as

God Of War 2018 is excluding and not admitting platforms other than PlayStation

God Of War 2018 is restricted to the PlayStation Platform, the PlayStation gamer/s

God Of War 2018 is a video game playable by only one platform, PlayStation

the moment you add in another platform, PC, Xbox, in that conversation, the definition of exclusive is voided by the 3 definitions provided by google

can't believe I have to explain this, this is common sense, logic and critical thinking, if you're going to continue to deny reality, please don't respond to me, I'm not interested in discussing your fantasy world and I won't reply

Edited by LockheedPrime

9 minutes ago, LockheedPrime said:

can't believe I have to explain this, this is common sense, logic and critical thinking, if you're going to continue to deny reality, please don't respond to me, I'm not interested in discussing your fantasy world and I won't reply

Yeah, but Jim Ryan never said exclusive. 

On 4/23/2021 at 2:17 AM, DaivRules said:

Yeah, but Jim Ryan never said exclusive. 

well then gaming news sites lied, several articles said exclusive in the title so I just went by that, but the point I was trying to make stands either way, I didn't doubt it because Ryan said other things in the past that he directly contradicted after like "the games you're about to see couldn't have been made without the PS5 power and be played without the PS5 controller" next show he announces those games will come to PS4 and or PC as well, lying for Ryan is not a new thing but if he didn't this time then good for him

Edited by The Investigator

the moment you add in another platform, PC, Xbox, in that conversation, the definition of exclusive is voided by the 3 definitions provided by google

Yet the language has been used in such a way that opposes your understanding of it for decades. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Yet the language has been used in such a way that opposes your understanding of it for decades. 

it doesn't oppose anything of mine, first of all, there's nothing from me, all I've showed is what the world factually consists of, second, marketing can deviate the word exclusive as much as they want by adding, time, console, specific console etc. before it, but you will never get away with plainly using just the word exclusive itself to describe something that is not, Sony games for the longest had a specific marketing of Only On PlayStation, I trust you won't dare to debate the meaning of those words, and that meaning is synonymous with the words PS Exclusive, for the first time in decades they completely removed any such marketing from the PS game boxes starting this gen, and that is for a reason

Edited by LockheedPrime

8 hours ago, Gildo1993 said:

My thoughts exactly. Don't see why people think exclusives are a good thing. Exclusives are bad for almost everyone.

Exclusives sell consoles, and Sony have ALWAYS had the upper hand over Micro in this aspect, whereas Micro can afford to do something like gamepass which attracts most of the xbox players now, so both have always been evenly balanced in different areas, its been a healthy rivaly throughout, mostly, but this push for more exclusiveness has pissed off Micro, it was Sony who wanted to buy Bethesda originally, or partnership with them on exclusive rights and when Micro heard they were like 'uhhmmm excuse me?' F you pony wel just buy the studio... Sony are obviously loaded but they dont have Microsoft money, n if they arent careful they will force Micro's hand into buying another studio, i dont know why Sony have such a hard on for exclusives, they burn mountains of cash just to get Call Of Dooky for a year... why it just upsets half the community and ignites tention between the 2 powers that be, for the record i think we should keep a few top exclusives like GOW etc but let us all experience titles from both sides more, i mean Micro can keep Halo but id play Ori for sure, also Gears Of War n Project Gotham Racing, maybe Fable, id be happy for xbox to have a bunch of our games for those to come over, what else do they have tho lol but yeah Sony need to chill, theyre starting console war 2 rn and at the end of the day the only people that will suffer are us lot

11 hours ago, Paperclip1776 said:

Nothing you said was wrong from what I can see and it was a good read.  But every company has pros and cons.  What you didn't mention in your comment regarding Xbox is the following:

[...]

My main topicality was about exclusivity itself (and to a mild degree, the consistency of Microsoft across varying products and services) and because PlayStation has done much better than Xbox in this regard, of course the write-up favours PlayStation on that issue. If I wanted to do an Xbox vs PlayStation in gaming division as a whole, write-up it would have different coverage of course :lol:

Edited by Eraezr

8 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

It's really interesting how everybody and their mother just feels the need to spin everything as a negative these days, I'm really put off from engaging with forums here because PS5 is just not fun to talk about right now. Sony has made some poor decisions of late but the entire platform hasn't become awful all of a sudden like a lot of people now seem to think it is. Hot take, Jim Ryan isn't even all that terrible in the grand scheme of things when compared to some of the worst leaders of game companies- Mattrick, Yamauchi etc.

Couldn't have said it any better. Folks nowadays just constantly looking for reasons to be mad no matter what it seems. If fulfilled this is great news for gamers who own a ps5 so what's the issue here? 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Exclusives are good for business, bad for gamers.

As a primarily Playstation gamer, I want to see the Playstation get all the best games possible.  Whether that's through multi-platform releases or exclusivity, it doesn't make a ton of difference to me.  The part of me still mired in the console wars, wants to see Sony kick everyone elses butt at the end of the day.  Xbox still middling in their B- and C-tier exclusives means I have one less console to buy, one less online subscription service to hunt down deals for, etc.  The part of me who has aged a bit since the height of the console wars, kinda wishes exclusivity didn't exist and all gamers could play the best games out there regardless of platform... but that just isn't realistic.  Exclusive games and services are the best way to bring gamers over to your team, and the more gamers under the Playstation umbrella, means more consoles sold and more software sales in the future.  So it is what it is, I want to see gaming thrive and my investments validated.

It's not really that solidly set in stone, I think.

For one thing, exclusives are optimized for one specific set of hardware, allowing for the creation of masterpieces like Horizon Zero Dawn that look like something out of next gen - compare that to other open world games that are multiplat and there is a vast increase in quality due to being able to push the hardware to its limits; something that games that release on every major console and the Ouya can't, simply because there's too much hardware to account for.

For another, exclusives (at least in Playstation's case), have the advantage of being made to sell consoles and expand the brand - as a result all but a few (hello, Naughty Dog) Sony exclusives are free from the predatory microtransactions you see across the rest of the industry. Playstation exclusives are meant to get you to love Playstation - obviously be profitable as well, but first and foremost they focus on providing memorable experiences that increase brand loyalty.

There's also the fact that Playstation exclusives tend to eventually get very generous discounts, e.g. I bought God of War for 22$ less than a year after launch. This is a side point since it's not as directly tied to exclusive status, but I would guess that being under obligation to Sony helps keep the prices low.

But yes, the existence of the exclusive arms race does mean that if you only play on one platform, you have a lot of games locked out, which is definitely a nuisance.

• Like 1

exclusivity is a good thing people.  Having great titles exclusive to playstation makes more people buy playstation which makes Sony more money which makes them produce better exclusive games.  What does xbox have i have to go out and buy an xbox just to play that game?  To me nothing.  Sony has quite a few.  more people with sony more ps plus, ps now subscribers better ps now, ps plus games.  exclusivity has always been a thing and always will be.  I couldn't begin to play every game I want to play as it is anyway.

• Like 1