PS5 are selling twice as many a units compared to Xbox.

Quink666

11 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

I don't have any numbers to back up either but after a quick google they made a blog post last month where they talked about building communities around games not devices and this just further backs up my point that xbox is no longer about the console but more about the service. They want to give players the ability to play their games regardless of the device.

The new console war is between Sony and Nintendo as they are still firmly stuck in the buy a playstation if you wanna play our games (although this is changing with sony now starting to release their first party titles on PC)

That's a convenient way to get around their lack of sales. xD

In that case, there is no console war.  Sony and Nintendo are appealing to two very different, loyal fanbases.  The PS5 and the Switch aren't interchangeable really, first party wise, third party wise, functionality-wise, etc.  They don't compete against eachother, they compliment eachother.  The only reason Sony and Microsoft were in competition was because the consoles had so much overlap, which seems to be going away as the divide between what appeals to their fanbases grow deeper.

(Which is a smart move by Microsoft because after 3 generations they realized they'd never win head to head, they're finding their own niche.)

Edited by Dreakon13

4 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Seems like the console war is over already ?

PS5 sold more then double what Xbox did the first quarter of 2021. 

https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ps5-is-estimated-to-have-doubled-xbox-series-x-s-sales-during-q1-2021/amp/

The Switch is also killing it but I guess that’s because they have tons of stock since before the pandemic. 

If only more people could get their hands on the PS5 though. Hopefully it gets resolved soon. 

I think that isn't accurate. I heard Xbox Series X has sold over 10 million in Japan and its taking Japan by storm. Game Pass is taking the world by storm and people are now converting from PlayStation to Xbox now. Microsoft are a trillion dollar company because of Game Pass. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

That's a convenient way to get around their lack of sales. xD

In that case, there is no console war.  Sony and Nintendo are appealing to two very different, loyal fanbases.  The PS5 and the Switch aren't interchangeable really, first party wise, third party wise, functionality-wise, etc.  They don't compete against eachother, they compliment eachother.  The only reason Sony and Microsoft were in competition was because the consoles had so much overlap, which seems to be going away as the divide between what appeals to their fanbases grow deeper.

(Which is a smart move by Microsoft because after 3 generations they realized they'd never win head to head, they're finding their own niche.)

The statistical data and general perception especially in Asia would disagree with you that there is no console war between Sony and Nintendo.  While they may compliment at each other people see either or, not both especially parents buying for their kids. 

I'm a big Bethesda fan and game pass is excellent value for money so for once I'm dipping my toes in the green team. I purchased a Series X and a PS5 at launch and I have found very little reason to turn my PlayStation on outside of Astros and Destruction All-stars. I was going to buy Outriders but it came out day 1 on gamepass. I'm not a fanboy of any one platform by any means and I play where it makes sense and I feel the majority are also like that.

It's going to be interesting to see how Gamepass goes in the long term. At the end of the day more competition is always good for the consumer.

Edited by Dan-lives-here

At this point, each console does something a bit different. If you want to more casually play games, Xbox with game pass is the way to go. If you have a PC, you can just get game pass too, and MS is making money anyway. If you want the option to be portable and a more family friendly console, Nintendo is the way to go. If you want a more of a classic hardcore gaming experience, and don't want to get a high-end PC, then PS is the way to go. 

So really, it almost doesn't matter. Each one is doing well enough to be sustainable. MS has gotten smart and just stopped trying to compete, and instead started to do their own thing. Which is what Nintendo has been doing for years already.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dan-lives-here said:

The statistical data and general perception especially in Asia would disagree with you that there is no console war between Sony and Nintendo.  While they may compliment at each other people see either or, not both especially parents buying for their kids. 

I don't live in Asia, so I'm not sure what the general perception is and I'm not sure it really matters.  Like I said, the two consoles aren't really interchangeable like the Playstation and the Xbox have traditionally been, and I don't think small moves on one side syphons gamers from the other.  Nintendo and their fans are happy going their way, and Sony and their fans are happy going their way.  I don't see either side changing their approach based on any perceived "competition" between the two.

Edited by Dreakon13

25 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

At this point, each console does something a bit different. If you want to more casually play games, Xbox with game pass is the way to go. If you have a PC, you can just get game pass too, and MS is making money anyway. If you want the option to be portable and a more family friendly console, Nintendo is the way to go. If you want a more of a classic hardcore gaming experience, and don't want to get a high-end PC, then PS is the way to go. 

So really, it almost doesn't matter. Each one is doing well enough to be sustainable. MS has gotten smart and just stopped trying to compete, and instead started to do their own thing. Which is what Nintendo has been doing for years already.

Now the problem with that though, if all these platforms/ideologies can truly live harmoniously together, that there's really no competition pushing any of them to be better.  Which is basically the only good quality of competition and the reason why it's necessary.

All this does is monopolize their respective niches, which is probably bad for the consumer in the end.

Edited by Dreakon13

And yet I'm sitting here trying to finish up my PS3 Backlog. I wouldn't trust much on the numbers, especially in the first year of sales. I'll wait until the eventual PS5.5 and Xbox's Upgraded system to see what the sales really look like. As mentioned before, the scalpers are buying up a lot of the sales and selling them at crazy prices.

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Now the problem with that though, if all these platforms/ideologies can truly live harmoniously together, that there's really no competition pushing any of them to be better.  Which is basically the only good quality of competition and the reason why it's necessary.

All this does is monopolize their respective niches, which is probably bad for the consumer in the end.

There's nothing keeping anyone from changing though, and if they slip up there's no reason to stay with one. For example, if Sony has bad exclusives, there will be no reason to play on PS anymore. Of the game selection for game pass gets bad, there will be no reason to have an Xbox anymore. And if Nintendo stops innovating and creating a more unique experience, then there won't be much reason to stay with them anymore. Each will have to continue to do what they do well. 

14 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

There's nothing keeping anyone from changing though, and if they slip up there's no reason to stay with one. For example, if Sony has bad exclusives, there will be no reason to play on PS anymore. Of the game selection for game pass gets bad, there will be no reason to have an Xbox anymore. And if Nintendo stops innovating and creating a more unique experience, then there won't be much reason to stay with them anymore. Each will have to continue to do what they do well. 

That isn't really how competition and monopolies work though.  Customers are less likely to leave Playstation, if Xbox and Nintendo are focusing on a completely different business model that doesn't appeal to them and they can't get a similar experience somewhere else.  So Playstation is less likely to work hard to keep that customer happy with better products and competitive pricing.

Sure, they could still leave, but the customer then has to decide the lesser of two evils... leaving a situation they dislike (whatever Sony screwed up) to enter a situation they dislike (the different Xbox/Nintendo ecosystems), or stop playing games altogether.  It's a lose-lose for the customer, which is bad.

Edited by Dreakon13

I'm happy the PlayStation brand is doing great just because that way Sony will have the resources to keep pumping those wonderful 1st party games and improving the PlayStation ecosystem.

One the other hand, I wish X-Box all the best, 'cause competition is a consumer's best friend.

Nintendo is just out there doing its own thing, mostly making kid/family-friendly games and not caring too much about cutting edge graphics and that sort of stuff.

21 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

That isn't really how competition and monopolies work though.  Customers are less likely to leave Playstation, if Xbox and Nintendo are focusing on a completely different business model that doesn't appeal to them and they can't get a similar experience somewhere else.  So Playstation is less likely to work hard to keep that customer happy with better products and competitive pricing.

Sure, they could still leave, but the customer then has to decide the lesser of two evils... leaving a situation they dislike (whatever Sony screwed up) to enter a situation they dislike (the different Xbox/Nintendo ecosystems), or stop playing games altogether.  It's a lose-lose for the customer, which is bad.

Kind of. If a service isn't giving what people expect of it, they'll stop using it. These are all similar enough that there's still something out there for people. If you like Sony and their exclusives get bad, but game pass is getting good games, you're not going to stick with PS. They all operate in specific niches and offer something relatively unique, but if that one thing isn't there, people won't just stick around. They have to continue to give their niche a quality product and what they expect. Or they'll leave and/or someone else will start to offer it. 

6 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I think that isn't accurate. I heard Xbox Series X has sold over 10 million in Japan and its taking Japan by storm. Game Pass is taking the world by storm and people are now converting from PlayStation to Xbox now. Microsoft are a trillion dollar company because of Game Pass. 

Its most likely very accurate. The only thing taking Japan by storm is mobile gaming and the switch. Xbox always struggled in Japan and their latest console is no exception although console sales in general have been declining there. Game pass is great value but whatever you heard is blown out of proportion, Microsoft was a trillion dollar company way before game pass. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

If you like Sony and their exclusives get bad, but game pass is getting good games, you're not going to stick with PS.

These are two different things though.  Switching to a game subscription service doesn't solve the bad exclusives problem.  It's like saying the exclusives are bad and I'm not having fun on Playstation anymore because of it, so I'm going to spend my time starting a garden... that's something you could do, but that doesn't make garden working and video games competition.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Proof that most people couldn't give a shit what Jim Ryan does, even if he threatened to shut down the PS3/Vita stores, shut down Communities on the PS4, kill off Sony Studio Japan, do away with Messages on the Vita, and a few other things I can't think of right now.

I'm happy to see the upcoming Ratchet & Clank game for the PS5 already get praise and recognition, as well as hearing about a couple other potential PS5 releases.

Xbox killed off their console exclusivity by making most of everything readily available on the PC, why settle with a Xbox when a PC can do everything it can and then some? Nintendo isn't even a proper competitor anymore, you got the Switch which is vastly underpowered and incapable of running any proper mainstream modern AAA game. So the only reason I would get a Switch now is to play their exclusives, and trust me, they are not cheap to buy.

Sony is in this for themselves. The console war is dead at this point.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Nintendo isn't even a proper competitor anymore, you got the Switch which is vastly underpowered and incapable of running any proper mainstream modern AAA game. So the only reason I would get a Switch now is to play their exclusives, and trust me, they are not cheap to buy.

Sony is in this for themselves

cry some more.

Nintendo does suck. Unless they went 4K, and had a home console that isnt a hybrid they wont ever be competitive again. My switch collects dust mostly, but the exclusives are still good...

MH: Rise is amazing, Mario Odyssey, etc.

tho they do port too many WiiU games which it makes sense to do since Wii U flopped, but at least mix it up with new things as well.

$80 for a switch game is cheap. $90 for a ps5 game is cheap. 

Sure in the past 10 years game prices have jumped from $50-$60 to $80-$100. But uhh that's a given. i dont mind paying that.

As for Sony being in it for themselves... you still play ps3 for being so anti-sony.

If i were a businessman, id be in it for myself too. Money talks. 

Acting as if Nintendo isn't "serious competition" just because they do things their own way is ridiculous. If anything, it shows just how serious a competition they are - even with underpowered hardware, every first party game costing 60$, terrible online, and the usual poor third party support, the Nintendo Switch has sold ~80 million units.

And PS4 has sold 110 million or so. This initially gives the impression of the PS4 having won by a large margin, however the problem is that the PS4 came out in 2013, and the Switch came out in 2017. Even with Nintendo's shitty, consumer unfriendly practices, they're still selling Switches like toilet paper at the start of the pandemic.

Just because you, personally, do not like the Switch or Nintendo's business practices, doesn't change the fact that they are a very serious force in the console market.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Approximately 50,000 units is not anywhere near "10 million", either try or count harder next time if you're going to blatantly shill for Xbox on a PlayStation website.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Acting as if Nintendo isn't "serious competition" just because they do things their own way is ridiculous. If anything, it shows just how serious a competition they are - even with underpowered hardware, every first party game costing 60$, terrible online, and the usual poor third party support, the Nintendo Switch has sold ~80 million units.

And PS4 has sold 110 million or so. This initially gives the impression of the PS4 having won by a large margin, however the problem is that the PS4 came out in 2013, and the Switch came out in 2017. Even with Nintendo's shitty, consumer unfriendly practices, they're still selling Switches like toilet paper at the start of the pandemic.

Just because you, personally, do not like the Switch or Nintendo's business practices, doesn't change the fact that they are a very serious force in the console market.

I don't think anyone would disagree that Nintendo is "competition" in the sense that Nintendo has a huge share of the market and Sony would love a piece of it, and visa versa.  Back in the day, with the PS1/N64 and PS2/Gamecube I'd say their consoles were close enough in power and purpose that they were in direct competition with each other (though Nintendo's historically lacking third party support/relationships always kept a comfortable distance between the two).  Sony even expressed this pretty evidently by trying to tap into the Wii's mega popular "motion control" niche with the Move controllers.

Since then though, and maybe it's a lesson learned that Nintendo's market share isn't available enough to bother trying to steal, there isn't much interchangeable about their platforms.  They appeal to different audiences, harmoniously occupying different slices of the same pie.  Until one of them makes a dramatic move encroaching on the others territory (Sony somehow makes a hybrid portable PS5, Nintendo somehow works PS5/Series X-comparable specs into the Switch, etc)... I don't see how one steals customers or market share from the other.  In that sense, I don't believe they're direct competition with eachother.

Edited by Dreakon13

Well, Microsoft is learning the hard way that announcing no exclusive games for the next 2 years will hurt sales. People don't like buying expensive new machines unless they need them to play new games, and the Xbox Series S/X isn't currently a "necessary" upgrade. The PS5 is if you want to play some of the new games coming out. As much as people hate the practice... It works.

2 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I agree they are a serious competitor for sure. The Switch has gotten some love from me, but I do think they are constantly struggling with that "second console" situation they've been in for so long. A lot of people I know buy a Nintendo console for those Nintendo exclusives, but play most of their content elsewhere and it's a bind that Nintendo has been in for a while now, but it has kept them afloat, so it's a viable strategy for now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I think that isn't accurate. I heard Xbox Series X has sold over 10 million in Japan

Any sources to back this up?  Can't find any.  The Xbox is notorious for selling laughably low in Japan and this news of Xbox Series X being sold over 10 million IN Japan sounds ridiculous.  Taking Japan by storm lol

13 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Its most likely very accurate. The only thing taking Japan by storm is mobile gaming and the switch. Xbox always struggled in Japan and their latest console is no exception although console sales in general have been declining there. Game pass is great value but whatever you heard is blown out of proportion, Microsoft was a trillion dollar company way before game pass. 

2 hours ago, Zephrese said:

Approximately 50,000 units is not anywhere near "10 million", either try or count harder next time if you're going to blatantly shill for Xbox on a PlayStation website.

38 minutes ago, milanbarca82 said:

Any sources to back this up?  Can't find any.  The Xbox is notorious for selling laughably low in Japan and this news of Xbox Series X being sold over 10 million IN Japan sounds ridiculous.  Taking Japan by storm lol

I'm pretty sure he was joking. xD

He's parroting Xbox fans who act like Game Pass is the second coming.  EDIT: Which is increasingly common, and I can't blame them necessarily... Xbox fans haven't had much to be proud of the last few generations.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm pretty sure he was joking. xD

He's parroting Xbox fans who act like Game Pass is the second coming.  EDIT: Which is increasingly common, and I can't blame them necessarily... Xbox fans haven't had much to be proud of the last few generations.

I figured he might be, but it's just hard to tell because there are people that talk like that unironically. lmao