So what did you do today?

OnePieceDude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Today I cleaned one of the apartments I live in with my wife. Really did it for her, and I don't know why I did it. She's usually the one using that apartment and she's the one who's going to have a party there. This was of course alongside with one of my HDDs finally dying on me.

Ever since I got a new PC more than a half year ago, I've ran the OS, Windows 7, on a HDD I know have had issues. Like sometimes it would make ticking sounds when it was trying to access some file. This would usually happen when some kind of application was searching through shit on my PC. It would usually make the computer hang a bit, and it could potentially eventually just freeze the entire PC. Not allowing me to do anything other than reset it. This would just happen once a week or two, so no big problems, and it was mostly about figuring out what applications that did heavy searches on the computer. I guess it was a nice way of figuring out what that was and stop it, but it also made it hard to search for virus or similar. I knew what the issue was, and I just continued to use the HDD. Didn't have much saved on it, and took regularly backup of anything on it.

A couple of days ago, before I was going to bed, the PC told me straight out that the HDD was pretty much dead now, and I should take backup and whatnot. I did that, while the PC continued to complain about it. Wrote down a lot of useful config and scripts etc. Non-problematic. Afterwards, I rebooted the computer, and the BIOS, or the UEFI, as it's now called, wouldn't even let me have the HDD connected. :( I just wanted to insert some more HDDs and transfer over data to make one HDD empty to format it and install Windows 7 on it. Nope, it wouldn't have any of that shenanigans. So I'd have to use one of the linux live cds I had laying around. They're not really CDs, but rewritable DVDs. Very useful when you are unsure you actually wanna keep the thing you write to them. I don't have an internal DVD drive, only USB. This along with only USB3, makes for more compatibility issues. Same with new graphics card etc.

One of the discs that I used the first time I installed Windows on this computer worked, of course. Why would I need a linux disc to install Windows? Well... drivers! More specifically USB3 drivers. I couldn't connect the external DVD drive or USB sticks and whatnot without drivers. They keyboard and the mouse somehow worked, this because of the UEFI, but no matter what I try, it doesn't seem to work for USB sticks or DVD drives etc. Which means that you need to transfer the drivers over to a HDD Windows can actually see, which isn't all, because of a RAID controller controlling 6 of the 8 SATA (HDD) connections. Not only that, but because I run the Windows 7 installation disc from DVD through USB3, there is a point where you no longer can access the DVD drive unless you've edited the disc to include drivers for it. These drivers of course didn't allow me to use the DVD drive once Windows was finally installed...

This linux live CD would sometimes hang too, like really get stuck and stop transferring of data, while it was halfway doing it. Very annoying. Just not reliable enough to transfer 600GB of data... So I would have to look for another disc. I tried many. The OS that eventually worked for me was Tahrpup! :) Very thankful for that. Very small disc size, so very fast to download, and ran excellent, with lots of tools for all kinds of things, and everything was made so easy for me to do. Like I didn't have to mount the disc manually, I could just get a view of them and click a button. More importantly, it ran without issues. The file manager wasn't that great though, didn't like transferring files in a directory over to a new place if the new place had a directory with the same name. In Windows you get the option if you want to transfer the different files in the conflicting directory names to that other directory, which is very useful, but didn't have that here. Oh well, it worked out eventually, and that portion went without much trouble.

I formatted and installed Windows 7 on the newly cleared HDD. This went fine, because I used my edited Windows 7 disc. If anyone wonders, yes, it's a legal copy and whatnot. I even get a free license and download of Microsoft, so there's like no reason for me to actually pirate it. haha I still had to go through the USB3 trouble after Windows was actually installed. That I had to transfer the files to one of the HDDs that Windows recognized, which there was two of. The OS disc and one other I had to manually assign a drive letter to / mount... Sounds easy, just boot up the linux disc again and transfer the files from the driver disc that came with the motherboard. If you've read this far, and you actually care what I've written, you may notice that I had to insert two discs at the same time... Yup, I couldn't take out the linux OS disc while it ran, so how did I get the files over to the HDD? Well, I had to use another laptop, the one I used to download and burn the linux discs with. On that I had to transfer the USB3 driver files from the driver disc to a USB stick. From there I could transfer it over to the HDD while the computer ran linux.

Finally I could install the USB3 drivers in Windows and connect the DVD drive to the PC and install the drivers from the driver disc. Everything went great, but I had to install a lot of programs, until I was doing Windows update... Yeah, that shit took hours of just checking for updates, and using a lot of resources of the CPU. Windows update did ask me to upgrade the Windows update program before I used it, which I did, but that made little difference. I ended up downloading another patch for the Windows update that was highly recommended by many online who had the same issue. Reboot the computer again, then install the update and then search for updates. This time the checking for updates went much faster. Even if my Windows install disc already included SP1, I had to install over 300 updates... :\ This took an entire night, while I slept of course. Still had to reboot and install more updates a couple of more times. Furthermore, one of the updates is Microsoft nagware, they want people to jump over to Windows 10, which I really don't like. Like seriously, I don't like some of the core principals that they've had in mind when they made the OS. Serious security issues, which they knew about, because I know they've spent a ton of money on experts working on these issues for years, and they didn't come to any kind of solution, yet went ahead and did it with Windows 10. There's the updater, which is more intrusive than ever before. More background operations dedicated to monitor the computer and collect information. Then there's the Windows App garbage. I don't want it. Neither do I want the touch interface, yes I know I can change. Less compatibility with software. etc etc NO THANKS! Microsoft, you will have to try again, and better this time. Anyway, I had to turn that off, which you can do with an easy registry edit and a reboot. There's still other scheduled tasks you may want to turn off or delete, that's about probing your PC and collecting information. I'm not joking. I notice this all too well with a HDD that crashes when these tasks are ran, and an internet connection I constantly monitor for unwanted traffic, and for reducing load and improve stability etc, because of very poor connection atm. Like I have a limiter on upload traffic for chrome, when I upload huge files for a long time. This kills my connection unless I set the upload to much lower than the max.

The main big fan I got in my computer case, it really is quite big, needed some cleaning. It made some small noise, not very loud, but just extremely annoying. I had to disconnect it and clean it, which is no small procedure. Big fans are actually pretty cool, because they often don't make that much noise, doesn't need to run as fast, and still move a lot more air than most small ones. Cleaned the filters again too. The fan didn't allow me to clean everywhere I wanted to, and it may need some oiling. Not really sure. It doesn't make the same noise anymore, or at least not to any way the same degree. I really like my computer case though. :) So much space, plenty of space for the HDDs. Lots of cooling options. Good ways to handle cables. Really, my only issue is with space between motherboard's SATA connections and the case. Not a whole lot of space there when the connectors goes out on the side of the motherboard instead of straight up. I've already done the cabling, and made it easy to do adjustments to HDDs etc, so really not a whole lot of issues with this long term, just initial setup. I guess I also don't like that the power supply's fan is supposed to exit downwards, below the case. If it's clean below there, okay... but idk, feels weird. Might be it is the most clean exit when no filter is applied between.

I still got lots to install, transfer and config etc. But right now I wrote this long message, which I'm sure didn't include everything I have done today and the last couple of days, and enjoying a glass of whiskey on the rocks.

Have a good day everyone!

At work right now. Reviewing some pay applications before they are sent out, I should be doing some bank reconciliations later, and if I have time I will do some research on the rehabilitation credit.

When I get home I will eat some leftovers and study until late.

Told some kids off for chucking rubbish around the street. Also told the boy to set an example for his sisters by doing the right thing even though it wasn't his fault. They listened and did exactly what I told them to.

Other than that I did housework cause someone has to.