Xbox series s as secondary console?

lewy_your_pic

With xCloud coming there is basically no point in bothering with any of them, even the S whose whole point is supposed to be for that. Even weaker computers should be able to stream the games, a modern TV should get an app for Gamepass, and Microsoft have said they'll be releasing a streaming stick also. Every move Microsoft makes is counter to their console business which is good for any PC/PS/N gamers who actually get interested in anything they put out, but will be catastrophic for Xbox if it turns out that their Xbox fanbase is the lion's share of gamepass subscribers and PC/PS/N and of course casuals (What they really want. There are 3 billion gamers don't you know) don't bite in a meaningful way. 

In conclusion my advice would be to wait a bit to see how xCloud fairs. If decent enough then you can just use that on your TV either directly or via streaming stick and pay Microsoft a month's gamepass whenever you have games of theirs you want to play. If xCloud sucks badly then you can start considering their boxes again.

11 minutes ago, KIERONOO said:

Ever thought about saving for a PC? 

I would love to get into PC gaming but always seems so expensive for me since my work hasn’t been the best with hour cuts and that really from covid, only asked this original post as there is a deal for the series s at GAME in the uk where it’s £40 if you trade in a switch then again i’ve always enjoyed the ease of a console 

21 minutes ago, lewy_your_pic said:

Update i’m saving for a series x after the news that FH5 will be 1080p just made me think the long run investment won’t be that good seeing as it’s only a year after it’s came out lmao 

Series X is worth the investment for most people imo since after a year you will likely make your money back for the initial console purchase in the exclusives and 3rd party games that are "free" on Gamepass you would of otherwise bought on the PS5. I fully expect this generation to be both the cheapest and the most games played purely because of Gamepass existing.

The biggest question for me is which console I will main going forward the Series X seems the most obvious choice but I got a couple of stubborn friends who I enjoy gaming with that will never buy a Xbox despite only playing yearly MP and big multiplat series that could still draw me to PS5.

16 minutes ago, lewy_your_pic said:

I would love to get into PC gaming but always seems so expensive for me since my work hasn’t been the best with hour cuts and that really from covid, only asked this original post as there is a deal for the series s at GAME in the uk where it’s £40 if you trade in a switch then again i’ve always enjoyed the ease of a console 

I wouldn't trade in a Switch for an Xbox personally, as good as Game Pass is, the new Xbox consoles (and PS5) are kinda just bog standard consoles. They're great, but the Switch is actually something different and special in my opinion :)

I definitely want to get an XBOX Series X, but I think for me at least, it's way smarter to wait until a decent chunk of their upcoming titles are available. Right now we just have the notice that they are making lots of games, but nothing really tangible out there to warrant a purchase. Props to anyone who has one though, there is definitely an argument there to own a Series X/S just on the prospect of Gamepass alone.

On 14/06/2021 at 2:21 AM, grimydawg___ said:

Ok

PS5 has outsold BOTH Xbox consoles.  Microsoft will fall behind Sony and Nintendo because of the market appeal.  To answer OP question, I'd go for it.  For $300 (US), it's certainly solid for the price.  It's a very solid system.

Xbox is not just about the consoles. Xbox is a platform between consoles, PC and cloud. I don't own any Xbox consoles but I'm still an Xbox player.

And I agree Series S is probably nice to have along with other consoles. Game Pass will give you access to first-party releases on day one, not to mention the huge catalogue of other great titles. Don't forget EA Play is also included in the price with Game Pass for PC / Game Pass Ultimate.

Edited by Eyjabria
Added video

6 hours ago, MD_91 said:

I don't see the point of the Series S

A cheaper gamepass machine that will play all XboxOne games better than the Xbox one X and play current gen games well for like 3-4 years.

It's like if the base PS4 and the PS4pro came out at the same time. 

10 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Xbox is not just about the consoles. Xbox is a platform between consoles, PC and cloud. I don't own any Xbox consoles but I'm still an Xbox player.

And I agree Series S is probably nice to have along with other consoles. Game Pass will give you access to first-party releases on day one, not to mention the huge catalogue of other great titles. Don't forget EA Play is also included in the price with Game Pass for PC / Game Pass Ultimate.

I understand that.  The big three are successful in their own way.  If we're talking about "winning" goes, Microsoft falls behind the other two because of its particular audience.  That's a fact.  For the record I have all systems and PC.  Each has their pro/cons.  I'm just happy there's competition.  Let's see how Sony responds.

My XBSX really has paid off as a second console, I am playing enough new western games for free. Just started D&D Dark Alliance. Sure I'll never be a fully Certified MS nerd but their console certainly has some merits now.

I was thinking about getting a Series S for a while.  I collect physical copies so it'd be a big compromise on my end to go with a digital-only console for any platform... but the more I learn about how the Xbox works, Microsoft has basically butchered physical collecting on the Xbox anyways.  Backwards compatibility requires an internet connection since even with a disc it's basically a DRM check and a download.  Physical copies of new games with Xbox One support, have the Xbox One version on disc and a "smart delivery" download for the Series X versions.  I wouldn't be surprised if all of it required an internet connection as a form of DRM, completely defeating the purpose of physical copies and preservation... ushering in a generation of digital only without anyone realizing it.  It's really sneakier and more underhanded than people want to admit Microsoft is these days, kinda blinded by Game Pass and their "we love you" Twitter campaigns.

That being said, I'll most likely bend and get a Series X anyways.  On the off chance they do work offline, an Xbox One version on disc is better than nothing and maybe later in the generation some Series X specific disc releases will show up.  And if they end up getting a few decent exclusives, it'll be a fun ride while it lasts... and the Series X will look and run nicer in the process.  Plus Game Pass will be a cheap rental service to play some of their first party exclusives day one and decide what discs are actually worth buying on deep discount.

On 6/13/2021 at 6:23 PM, ExHaseo said:

The Series S is a weaker console. It would certainly be a way to play Halo, but it wouldn't be surprising if certain games didn't run on it deeper into the console cycle. At the very least, games will likely run worse on it. There's no real way of knowing right now though.

IMO there's absolutely zero chance of them dropping Series S support through the generation.  They've basically committed this generation to being as flexible as possible, even intending to support the Xbox One as long as they can (where Sony would probably drop the PS4 today if it weren't for the PS5 shortages).  They'd probably sooner tone new games down graphically to make sure the Series S is adequately supported than start alienating half of their current gen console owners.

That being said, making a stupid decision that makes everyone turn on them is exactly something Microsoft would do.  And why people investing in the Xbox on the basis of a subscription service that could change, upcharge, or go away like that need to tread softly.

Edited by Dreakon13

Wow D&D Dark Alliance really is a terrible game, but free on Game Pass so no real loss. Sure I prefer trophies but I also like the old D&D games with a new twist like "Pillars of Eternity" which was unplayable on PS4/PS5 after 20 hours, Seems fine on XB and Free including the sequel. Maybe I'm really grasping for reasons on owning one? It's a good back up plan.