Do You Hope Themes Come to PS5??

PhantomFear94

Do You Want Themes to Come to PS5?  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Want Themes To Come to PS5?

• Yes
    • No
    • I Don't Care

Themes is one the last changes we need...

The PS5 UI is so bad; the worst I've ever experienced in my life, that having themes as the first positive change after all this time would be an insult.

There are so many other things we need first:

- A UI where it isn't painful to use to do the most basic of things with sub-menu after sub-menu deep just to do one thing...

- Consolidate this ridiculous page of games separated by media that you have to juggle between just to even remotely begin seeing what you need and want to access...

- An actual dedicated Trophy icon and being able to see more of things on screen; this far left and far right name and description is so obnoxious it hurts my brain...

- Having proper full screen messaging and friends options with dedicated icons and being able to see message images in fullscreen; everything is such a chore to do, that everyone I used to chat regularly with via PS messages on the console barely speak anymore and have become anti-social because of how unintuitive and annoying it is to use...

- You can't even backup your own PS5 saves in case of catastrophe and are forced to pay extortionate prices for PS+ to save them to the Cloud, and even that is less freedom over your saves, and makes save scumming harder.

- No folders, no friend activities / What's New, a web browser where you have to manipulate the User Guide in order to even remotely use with no ability to bookmark pages; an awfully fully integrated PlayStation Store, and I use "fully integrated" very loosely that lacks options and features you had on the previous console, no Share Factory Themes, OH, AND NO THEMES!

I know I am probably missing a lot more things out, and maybe I am mistaken about some things that were silently added, that are probably hidden so deep in sub-menus that I can't find, that I just think it's not there...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, J-S_93 said:

The PS5 UI is so bad; the worst I've ever experienced in my life, that having themes as the first positive change after all this time would be an insult.

There are so many other things we need first:

- A UI where it isn't painful to use to do the most basic of things with sub-menu after sub-menu deep just to do one thing...

You obviously haven't experienced the xbox UI 👀

4 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

You obviously haven't experienced the xbox UI 👀

I have heard horror stories 😂

I also heard that it was improved a lot - but you got me; my only experience with XBOX is with the OG, heh.

But that doesn't take away the fact that navigating on the PS5 is awful.  Had one for like two years and still hate a lot of things.

Edited by J-S_93

6 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

seeing as when you hover on a game tile. the background changes to info on said game, i dont think themes will ever come to PS5.

That same UI behaviour didn’t stop the PS3 from supporting themes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dry said:

That same UI behaviour didn’t stop the PS3 from supporting themes.

hm did that happen on ps3? its been years since I turned it on. I guess then they could come one day but i doubt it. Sony took ages for "game lists" and thats like not the folders everyone wanted... I'd love to have 2 or 3 folders in the xmb or whatever they call it now, that i can sort a few games into.

Not a big deal though. Sony will do what they wanna do lol

• Like 1

On both the PS3 and PS4 the background changes to a picture and even the music changes to the one provided by the selected game and outside of that whatever the theme dictates.

On PS4, if a game doesn't have any picture and BGM, it will show the animated blue background and the music changes to the default menu theme, regardless of your theme (there is a glitch were it will keep the theme's backdrop and BGM, if you crash the system software).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

hm did that happen on ps3? its been years since I turned it on. I guess then they could come one day but i doubt it. Sony took ages for "game lists" and thats like not the folders everyone wanted...

I deeply loathe gamelists on PS5 and I like to pretend that feature doesn't exist. You know it's a dogshit feature when restoring licenses from your PSN account settings deletes any and all created GLs.

1 hour ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

Whilst I like the aesthetic of the PS5 UI, I think some different colours would be nice.  Like the the controllers have gone for Galaxy themed colours, why not the UI.

For some time now the PS App lets users choose a colour (from the range you mentioned) in the settings so I don't see any excuse for SIE not to do the same for the PS5 menus.

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dry said:

I deeply loathe gamelists on PS5 and I like to pretend that feature doesn't exist. You know it's a dogshit feature when restoring licenses from your PSN account settings deletes any and all created GLs.

That, and the fact iirc they are buried in the games library with everything you downloaded etc. which now has a search function anyway. It'd be convenient if GL would be changed to folders for the xmb whatever. OR at the very least have them in the "control center" menu. 

Also forgot the app could change colors. That being said, you're right. At the VERY least, they could allow color change to red, blue, green, gold, purple etc.

• Like 1

Not only themes but avatars too. I no longer own a PlayStation 4 so the ability for me to redeem/purchase new avatars has gone. I'd even take having the option to do so on the PlayStation App over nothing else. It just seems a bizarre oversight. 

Edited by CymroMatt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

How long did it take for PS4 to get themes and background wallpaper patched in after launch?

PS4 got themes support in System Software 2.0, released in Fall 2014. So, a bit less than a year after launch.

Edited by StarWolf3000

On 1/27/2024 at 10:06 AM, J-S_93 said:

You can't even backup your own PS5 saves in case of catastrophe and are forced to pay extortionate prices for PS+ to save them to the Cloud, and even that is less freedom over your saves, and makes save scumming harder.

This exactly...

And the inability to back up your PS5 game saves to a USB drive is one of the biggest ever dickhead moves Sony has ever made.

There's plenty of things we need other than stupid themes. Firstly, Sony growing a fucking brain. Like that's ever going to happen.

PS+ is a fucking joke. Essential is anyways. I stopped my subscription when it jumped from $60 to $95. Seriously, Sony. GTFO!

Edited by TheDarkKratos