God of War 2018 coming to Steam, January 14th

Sylvanticore

1 hour ago, Vergil said:

I thought Sony wanted you to buy a Playstation for its exclusives?

They do. If you want to wait 4 years for exclusives to maybe possibly get ported over to PC, then by all means go for it, but there's still plenty of PS exclusives that aren't on PC. There's also no guarantee future games in the series will make it to PC either. At the very least, getting people on PC to play something like the first God of War, right before the second God of War comes out, is smart marketing. Many aren't going to want to wait and see what happens, and they wont really have to when they can just buy a PS4/PS5 when the second one comes out.

• Like 1

This is a good move for Sony. These games have reached their lifetime sales on PlayStation already. They are no longer system sellers. Sony can port them to PC and sell another 3, 4, 5 million copies for a minimal cost. It's easy money for them, some of which will probably be pumped back into PlayStation. These games are releasing on PC 3 or 4 years after their original release, they have no bearing on system sales for PlayStation. If you're the type of person to wait years to play these types of games then you were never going to buy a PlayStation console anyway. PC gamers are never going to switch to console either. You can keep these games exclusive to PlayStation consoles forever, earning you zero additional revenue from the likes of the PC userbase who were never going to buy a console, or you can port them to PC and sell a few million copies that you wouldn't have had otherwise. It's a very smart decision. More importantly, more people get to experience these fantastic games. It's a win-win, and the only people who get heated over this kind of thing are fanboys. It really doesn't matter one bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see much more of this in the future, with a possibility of some select titles even getting day and date releases on PC too. PlayStation are still going to dominate system sales in the console market, have no fear of that ?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Again, your comments assume everyone now is locked into whatever platform they have. 

My comment assumes buy platforms for the games they want to play and expand or jump platforms when the games they want to play are available on other platforms, not that they're locked in to anything. People can't play a game on a platform they don't have access to. And generally people don't buy into a platform so nonchalantly they'll just drop on the potential they'll get to play the games they allegedly originally purchased it for, but four years after the games came out.

While there are clearly some people out there that you're adamantly suggesting may significantly impact Sony, I think this move considers them and considers that group a worse gamble than selling some old content to PC gamers.

Time will clearly definitely tell. I'm not banking on sunshine and rainbows, I'm betting on a small bump on a large graph. This be much less significant than either extreme is making it out to be. Large sales when it first happens tapering off into no one talking about it until the next big title is ready to release to PC and then some will twist this move into justifying whatever the new evil thing going on with Playstation/Jim Ryan is.

• Like 1

Y'all know this is likely just a marketing strategy to get people to buy PS systems when Ragnarök is out, right? Same thing with HZD. The smart choice would be to wait a few years for it to be likely ported as well, but I'm sure it's common knowledge by now that people are really immediatist when it comes to videogames.

But anyways, glad more people can play it. It's truly an amazing game (at least, in my humble opinion).

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bmg_ps said:

This. I am always fine with sony waiting a couple of years and launch their games on PC. But this is strange. Same logic to Uncharted. How can someone play U4 on PC without knowing the story. The previous iterations of Uncharted and God Of War make a huge difference on the impact of these games. GoW trilogy and Nathan Drake Collection should go to PC as well.

Story without context it is not really story, just filler.

bmg_ps.png

That’s not an invalid point, but I don’t think it’ll matter to many people.

Your trophy card indicates you are playing The Witcher III - a game that sold gangbusters on Playstation, despite none of the previous games being available.

It’s, if anything, a game much more dependent on knowing previous lore than God of War is - really, all anyone needs to know about Kratos to enjoy the 2018 game, is that in the past, he did some bad shit, people know about it, and God’s don’t like him ?

I would say that is pretty much the answer…

…folks will fill in the narrative gaps for themselves, outside of the context of the console / game if they need or want to 

• Like 1

My comment assumes buy platforms for the games they want to play and expand or jump platforms when the games they want to play are available on other platforms, not that they're locked in to anything.

I am using the same assumption. People aren't locked. If reasons for buying one platform is reduced then some people may end up not buying that platform. Increasing ports to PC reduces the need/desire of a console. This is why for the last two gens people generally think that PC, Playstation, and Nintendo were enough to have access to most games.  The Xbox is redundant. Sony continuing down the path of porting to PC can make their hardware redundant for some people.

Everyone who has a problem with this should try to wrap their heads around the idea, because it's going to start happening more and more. There's really no point in trying to dissect and/or argue against the reasoning either. Sony wouldn't be doing this if they thought it would hurt the Playstation brand, and I guarantee they've been looking into PC gaming for at least the last 5 years, probably longer.

The years-long period between releases will most likely decrease too. There's lots of gamers who won't play something simply because it's older. Also, when Xbox is releasing it's games simultaneously on PC, Sony releasing it's games years after the fact will just naturally come across as weak and/or insulting to some people. I saw a lot of that kind of thinking when Horizon Zero Dawn was announced for PC. I don't 100% agree with those people, but in this age of entitlement we live in, it's something Sony should take into account. Give people an inch and they'll get angry it's not a mile.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

The Xbox is redundant. Sony continuing down the path of porting to PC can make their hardware redundant for some people.

Microsoft's strategy has been to make their hardware redundant because they also own Windows, where all the PC games get played and all the marketing/datamining they can do around anyone who touches their platforms. 

Comparing what Sony looks to be doing with what Microsoft has been working towards misunderstands the goals of either company. It latches onto only the similarities and throws everything else (all the differences) out the window.

• Like 1

Actually, I don't mind it at all. Hear me out, if a game that was released 4-5 years ago comes to PC to make the game reach a new audience outside of PlayStation fandom while its sequel is due to lunch exclusively on ps5 shortly after. They will be forced to buy a ps5 to get it. So it's just a strategy that I don't mind with old games that has a sequel.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Microsoft's strategy has been to make their hardware redundant because they also own Windows, where all the PC games get played and all the marketing/datamining they can do around anyone who touches their platforms. 

Comparing what Sony looks to be doing with what Microsoft has been working towards misunderstands the goals of either company. It latches onto only the similarities and throws everything else (all the differences) out the window.

MS's UWP stratregy was to make sure all apps could be made once and work on Windows 10, Xbox, and mobile in a way to support the adoption of Windows 10 and the Windows Store. This plan was revised because people didn't flock to the Windows Store as fast as MS wanted. So MS revamped the plan to include Steam but now the real focus is on services and data collection.

Sony is copying a move that is outside of their depth. The level of services and data being controlled is on par with Amazon and Google. MS is playing chess with their business ventures. Sony doesn't get it.

I don't think this is a big deal as long as the gap stays at 3/4 years, I think 2 years and under is when they would really start risking the crossover point of people who would have bought a console but will now just wait instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That’s not an invalid point, but I don’t think it’ll matter to many people.

Your trophy card indicates you are playing The Witcher III - a game that sold gangbusters on Playstation, despite none of the previous games being available.

It’s, if anything, a game much more dependent on knowing previous lore than God of War is - really, all anyone needs to know about Kratos to enjoy the 2018 game, is that in the past, he did some bad shit, people know about it, and God’s don’t like him ?

I would say that is pretty much the answer…

…folks will fill in the narrative gaps for themselves, outside of the context of the console / game if they need or want to 

Trophy card did not help me here, hmm… xD I accept your point, but I could say that my experience with The Witcher may not have been as ideal as if I had played the previous iterations before. I am fairly confident that TW1 and TW2 would have improved TW3 for me.

That being said, still believe GoW and, specially, U4 may be very entertaining but the best engagement to the characters depends on the previous trilogies, like The Witcher. They are near perfect at their genres but they live in the story built as well.

Hope I am not sounding too harsh.

bmg_ps.png

• Like 1

I was already not too keen on buying a PS5, and now its more or less decided that I won't. I was already putting money to the side that can either go towards the PS5Pro I expected to appear at some point and a better TV, or a significant PC upgrade for the old reliable tower. Why was I not too keen on the PS5? Because there are no real system sellers on the PS5 yet, so no reason for that big of an investment, as at the end of the day that is the main reason to even get a console. The next Horizon and the next God Of War are supposed to be such system sellers, just like the first games once were, but now both of the predecessors are on PC, which means it is safe to assume that the next ones will come to PC as well, where they will look better, run better, and have unlimited mod potential.

I do not pay for PC games, why should I, they can be pirated super easily with basically no risk or effort, I only bought a PS4 back then because it came in a bundle far cheaper than getting a high end PC at the time and I knew a few people I could borrow games from anyway. Sure I bought non exclusive games on console since then if there were good sales, mostly on a whim, which in the years I have been on the system likely was more costly for me than if I had waited a while longer and just gotten a high end PC that could run all the games instead, but the PS4 was already bought so I might was well use it over my struggling PC is what I thought, whats the occasional sale and exclusive sale if I get to play some amazing games I otherwise would have had no access to and a few demanding multiplatform ones my ancient pc would have required an upgrade for. Now however I am at a point where I would have to make that big investment again for the PS5 generation, and without exclusives being exclusives it lost the chance to even dream about competing with PC.

Yes the PC had many reasons to be my winning choice already even before this, and yet the few big exclusives, the chance to play future exclusives and the trophy hunting managed to sell me the idea of having a console for most games and the lower midcard PC for a few strategy games and the like, so maybe it would have done it for yet another generation. But, getting the console with all its downsides when compared to Pc for just the trophy hunting and getting the good exclusives 3-5 years earlier when I am already not much of a Day 1 buyer or even year 1 buyer? Nah, ain't worth it no matter how I look at it.

Good for me though, money saved and experience delayed but improved, so I am not mad about this Sony decision either, as I get to play the games in any case and have not yet bought into the new console generation (then I would have been mad). But with things being like this I can stop buying games on PS4 and play the considerable pile of games I have left on it until I get the big PC upgrade, unless I actually find a console super cheap, which won't happen, especially not with the PS5 of all consoles.

Btw I don't assume that too many people think like me, some will because it is the best decision, but there is no way of knowing how big a potential loss in users down the line is and if it long term evens out against the extra sales from PC (I guess some people actually buy Pc games). At the end of the day I can't help but think that it at least looks and sounds like an unwise long term business decision to eliminate the biggest reason by far to buy your product over competing products:hmm:

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

After Detroit: Become Human and Horizon Zero Dawn, I am not in the least surprised.

Personally I think the console wars are coming to an end. Halo, Gears of War and Forza were the big sellers for Microsoft's Xbox, but nowadays you can just enjoy those games on the PC, since the Xbox and PC are basically intertwined with each other. I honestly do not see the point in investing in a Xbox Series X, unless you have very limited income, but even so you're better off buying a capable custom PC gaming desktop that will play those games.

The PlayStation 5 has good stuff, but the console itself being hard to buy and being sold out everywhere I go to has greatly diminished my hopes of grabbing it. I'm not going to be constantly looking over the internet to find a good deal on a PS5 console when millions of others are doing the same thing, snatching whatever copies they can get as soon as they become available. The black market has made a killing over the PS5, charging ridiculous prices for one when they know there are many people still desperately trying to pick it up. I want no part of that. The PS5 is still going to get periodic updates that will improve the interface and make it a more convenient system to use for anybody, so I'm in no hurry to grab one myself.

I have a medium end PC I bought back in 2018 that I bought for around $800 - 1000. It can play most AAA games up thru 2015 - 2016, but it can't play the new stuff. I still occasionally play Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword and Age of Empires II, both old strategy games I sunk thousands of hours into that are still fun. Having all the mods available that enhance the graphics and give me new content offers unlimited replayability.

Everything should be available on everything. I hate exclusives.

Because of exclusives I had to wait over 10 years for Dead Rising to come to PS4, about 5 years for Cup Head to come to PS4, not to mention all the other games I will probably never play before they were never released on Playstation.

I mean you are literally saying "Ok this game is available in England, Germany and Italy, but not in France and Spain", or something like that.

Not every user can own every single console/PC and why should they be penalised in one area no matter which console they choose to purchase?

In this case, God Of War has been available for like, forever, or at least it seems like that. Does anyone want to seriously gatekeep a game they platinumed 3 years ago and likely haven't even touched ever since?

Imagine how many more cool games we could have played from Nintendo or XBox or PC, if we didn't have stupid exclusivity deals. There's a reason why the majority of the most popular games ever made are released on as many systems are possible.

I think this is a good move. We need everything to be available for everyone, crossgen, cross play.

Open everything up.

5 hours ago, dakk55 said:

Okay, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody made a Kratos mod where they replace him with Doom Slayer, that, or a Unicorn. The ultimate dilemma.

If anything that is what I'm looking forward to the most, I just finished 2018's God of War a few dats ago and I kept thinking to myself I wonder what this game would be like if it was on pc and had mods, Replace old Kratos with younger Kratos, maybe changes to the axe and blades, hell all enemies are ZEUS!.. something like that.

20 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

If anything that is what I'm looking forward to the most, I just finished 2018's God of War a few dats ago and I kept thinking to myself I wonder what this game would be like if it was on pc and had mods, Replace old Kratos with younger Kratos, maybe changes to the axe and blades, hell all enemies are ZEUS!.. something like that.

I can see somebody making new arena challenges. Imagine if someone made a new boss rush mode where you had to fight all of the Valkyries, one after another without breaks. And yea, I would definitely get a mod for a younger Kratos, and probably a mod to change Atreus's name to...Boy.

• Like 1