[Rumor] GTA 6 is reportedly in development hell, RDR Remastered is coming, but not soon

ziggypossum

18 minutes ago, Viper said:

No it wasn't, you just decided to focus on that instead of quoting the second part of my post. You chose to have a pointless fucking argument instead of letting me have my opinion. 

Maybe you should look into starting a blog if you don't like people responding to you lol.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this is true. Rockstar are almost a caricature of themselves at this point. Most of the old guard have long since left the company. The guys who made Rockstar so great to begin with. It really doesn't bode well for the future. 

We've only had 2 major releases from Rockstar since 2013; GTA V, & Red Dead Redemption 2. Two considerable undertakings for sure, but in the given timeframe, and the resources at Rockstar's disposal, it simply isn't good enough. Not for someone like Rockstar. Go back and look at the Rockstar of old, and the release schedule they used to maintain with their games. It's quite clear that games released far more frequently, and there was also a greater variety of games from them. I understand that games get bigger as time goes by, and the budget, time, and resources required drastically increase as a result. But even taking that into account, Rockstar's output has been utterly paltry. 

GTA V is releasing for its third consecutive console generation. It has become a worse meme than even Skyrim. Rockstar simply doesn't care about anything that isn't GTA Online. This is further evidenced with things such as the lack of single player DLC for GTA V, and Red Dead Redemption 2's online being all but abandoned because it wasn't a cash cow in the same way that GTA Online is. 

Rockstar used to be so ambitious, unafraid to take risks. Always pushing boundaries. Now they're nothing but a corporate shell of their past selves. Solely focusing on a single game for almost a decade is one thing, but I don't think we'll ever see another new IP from Rockstar, and that's probably an even worse crime.

Knowing all of this, it's difficult to get excited for GTA 6, development hell or not. Even if the single player (if there is single player) turns out to be great, you just know the real focus is once again going to be the online. They're probably already hard at work trying to figure out how to best monetise it. It'll probably take off like GTA Online did, and then we're back to square one again. It'll be GTA V all over again. A sole focus on extracting as much money from the whales as possible. Why bother making other games, or being ambitious and creating new IP when you can just milk the same game to death over multiple console generations?

The fact that I'm more excited for the upcoming GTA Trilogy than I am for GTA 6 sums up my feelings perfectly. If I get remastered versions of Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and Chinatown Wars, then I'll be satisfied. I don't care if Rockstar crap themselves to death after that. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

Sure, GTAV must make loads of money, but surely it can't be making as much as it was a few years ago?

If only you knew. The amount of sales that the game achieves every year is every company's dream.

As of August 2021, Grand Theft Auto V has sold 150 million units worldwide. Here's an overview showing how many copies if has sold each fiscal period:

FY14 - 33 million
FY15 - 18 million
FY16 - 14 million
FY17 - 16 million
FY18 - 15 million
FY19 - 13 million
FY20 - 21 million
FY21 - 20 million

Edited by LordWikii
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Maybe you should look into starting a blog if you don't like people responding to you lol.

Maybe you should look into the differences in responding vs. starting petty arguments because you chose to focus on a specific part of someone's post you made assumptions about. 

6 minutes ago, LordWikii said:

If only you knew. The amount of sales that the game achieves every year is every company's dream.

As of August 2021, Grand Theft Auto V has sold 150 million units worldwide. Here's an overview showing how many copies if has sold each fiscal period:

FY14 - 33 million
FY15 - 18 million
FY16 - 14 million
FY17 - 16 million
FY18 - 15 million
FY19 - 13 million
FY20 - 21 million
FY21 - 20 million

Heres how people should interpret that data: “Oh wow! So many new gamers get to experience GTA V every year. The number of gamers is expanding like crazy so there’s an incredible amount of potential new customers and Rockstar is able to keep reaching them and convincing them that their game is worth buying.”

How a certain group of people will interpret that data: “I already played that. They owe me something new! And those aren’t new customer sales. Everyone is given a copy of GTA V at birth so those are all suckers repurchasing games they already own. And of course greedy Rockstar just keeps making people purchase their same titles over and over and people are forced to because they have no choice in the matter!”

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Viper said:

Maybe you should look into the differences in responding vs. starting petty arguments because you chose to focus on a specific part of someone's post you made assumptions about. 

The second part didn't magically make the first part disappear lol.  You said it, I replied to it.  I dunno... get over it?

5 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The second part didn't magically make the first part disappear lol.  You said it, I replied to it.  I dunno... get over it?

The second part WAS the post, the first part was the example to the point. Either way, severe case of the pot calling the kettle black. 

How about we move on? 

12 minutes ago, Viper said:

The second part WAS the post, the first part was the example to the point. Either way, severe case of the pot calling the kettle black. 

How about we move on? 

Think of it like a boss battle and I'm trying to learn what I did wrong so I can do better next time.  I'm always trying to get better, you see.  Maybe you can learn something too.  Instead of letting me lose so I understand what I did wrong, you keep trying to shut down the console halfway through it.

I replied to a part of your post, I wasn't cherry picking lines or cutting off sentences... it was a totally separate paragraph.  Even if part one was intended to supplement part two, it doesn't really make part one any less valid of a point of discussion.  Maybe this isn't the proper venue for long paragraphs about stuff you don't want to talk about?

Edited by Dreakon13

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

Think of it like a boss battle and I'm trying to learn what I did wrong so I can do better next time.  I'm always trying to get better, you see.  Maybe you can learn something too.  Instead of letting me lose so I understand what I did wrong, you keep trying to shut down the console halfway through it.

I replied to a part of your post, I wasn't cherry picking lines or cutting off sentences half way... it was a totally separate paragraph.  Even if part one was intended to supplement part two, it doesn't really make part one any less valid of a point of discussion.  Maybe this isn't the proper venue for long paragraphs about stuff you don't want to talk about?

Contrary to popular belief, I don't come on the internet to argue with people over nonsense. This isn't how I want to spend my time here. Arguments on the internet only ever go around in circles because...like right now...the other side always has to get the last word in. Then it keeps going until a mod has to step in blaming both sides for knocking a thread off course, when one tried to move on several posts ago. 

We already discussed it. You incorrectly made assumptions about my post, we came the conclusion that we have different ideologies on a subject that wasn't even the point I was making, I tried to move things along and you just want to keep this going for no reason. If you're trying to learn something, then please, take your own advice...and get over it. 

12 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

It seems that this series has moved in a direction that I have no interest in. I loved GTA V when it launched in 2013 but I thought there was so much more that could be done with the world and characters and was looking forward to the single-player DLC that never eventually materialised. Good for those who actually enjoy GTA Online and will enjoy the way GTA VI is eventually presented, but it probably won't be for me. At least the older games are still there for me to enjoy.

This is a perfect response and more people should follow your example.  You can voice your disapproval of a game/company/future intentions without trashing it for other people.

+1 to you

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Viper said:

We already discussed it. You incorrectly made assumptions about my post, we came the conclusion that we have different ideologies on a subject that wasn't even the point I was making, I tried to move things along and you just want to keep this going for no reason.

Surely you can't expect me to move on when you just lie over and over again about what happened? xD  I made no assumptions about your post, I quoted the part of it I wanted to discuss and the point of the part I quoted was apt... even if only a smaller part of your bigger point.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Surely you can't expect me to move on when you just lie over and over again about what happened? xD  I made no assumptions about your post, I quoted the part of it I wanted to discuss and the point of the part I quoted was apt... even if only a smaller part of your bigger point.

Sure, whatever. Think what you want. I'm moving on now. 

21 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Though also, it's a notoriously controversial series and the world has changed a bit since 2013... so there's probably a bit of soul searching when it comes to satisfying their creative vision and trademark humor... and not making something that will incite the gaming community (which is incredibly easy to do) from them either pushing it too far or not pushing it far enough.  I remember reading something around the time RDR2 was coming out about (paraphrasing) "how difficult it would be if we were making a new GTA game in this environment" and I'm sure there's some truth to that.

If I had to guess the cause it would relate to this. Though I don't think fear of a certain crowd out there declaring a jihad against them is exactly the issue, as much smaller companies/titles have successfully resisted the crusaders so Rockstar/GTA could certainly laugh in their faces and mock their impotent zealotry. The issue might be less the barbarians being at the gates, but the barbarians already being inside the city and causing havoc. 

Speculation of course. Dan Houser and then Lazlow Jones leaving (I'm sure there have been smaller names too) do lend some credit to the idea though. Neither are citing this sort of thing as to why they've left of course, Lazlow has said he did so to "spend time with his family" for example, but as we know that is often just a cover.

GTA was one of the best franchises ever for me. That has changed, since I am now way more sceptical about Rockstars plans for the future. The "old" way of developing a GTA does not exist anymore. The immense success of GTA online left a huge mark on their way of thinking about that franchise.

A stupid single player guy like me only gives them money once and that's it. Why focus on that if an online service outsells your whole catalogue of games? I am worried that GTA 6 will be something completely different. And not in a good way.

• Like 2

I personally think RDR 2 is the last quality game we will see from R*. 

I think too many of the old guard that made R* what it is today, are gone. 

I feel like they are going the way of BioWare & Blizzard. 

Which is such a damn shame. The success of GTA Online is what ironically killed R*, making them a shell of their former selves. 

All that money completely killed their motivation and creativity. Such a waste.

I am looking forward to RDR Remastered though, if true.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Heres how people should interpret that data: “Oh wow! So many new gamers get to experience GTA V every year. The number of gamers is expanding like crazy so there’s an incredible amount of potential new customers and Rockstar is able to keep reaching them and convincing them that their game is worth buying.”

How a certain group of people will interpret that data: “I already played that. They owe me something new! And those aren’t new customer sales. Everyone is given a copy of GTA V at birth so those are all suckers repurchasing games they already own. And of course greedy Rockstar just keeps making people purchase their same titles over and over and people are forced to because they have no choice in the matter!”

Exactly! I look forward to seeing how many sales happen during FY77. We will delineate our eras using B.G. (Before GTAV) and A.G. (After GTAV). Upon high school graduation, you will be forcibly thrust into a PlayStation 9 chamber where you will play GTAV 18 hours a day. Any mention of wanting a new GTA or single player DLC will result in deep electrostatic re-education protocol (also known as DERP) where your opioid receptors are re-calibrated so that playing GTAV releases all those juicy endorphins. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Edited by TheRedMaverick

rockstar have been called out for the way they did things under dan houser, and I know they threw dan under the bus with the whole "lets clean house, shit" which sounded like a bit of spin to me. They never cared before because he printed money, but when the money stopped, rdr2 was long done and they had no other projects, except for Borderlands 3 (which randy literally murdered in his spare time on twitter) they got rid of him, and left the reins of a Live Service GTA 6 in the hands of his brother.

2k even went as far as buying gamespot so they could avoid bad press, then between 2k sending PI's to some nerdy kids house, and randy sharing vids of  death matches between animals. i don't remember hearing about any sort of major shake-up in how rockstar will now go about development under new leadership.

so i imagine it's just as fucked as it always was, but now with less artistic integrity.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

Yeah, who knows about GTA VI and I'm kind of beyond caring at this point ?‍♂️ I'd like some Remasters of older games or GTA IV in particular, Red Dead Redemption (which is the SECOND Red Dead game btw most people aren't even aware of that, Red Dead Revolver on PS2 is the first and is available on PS4/PS5 fyi ?) is already in 4k on Xbox One/Series and it was just on Sale for $13 down from like $50 (here in Australia) so I really don't need a Remaster as its Xbox BackCompat basically IS a Remaster.

I miss when Rockstar made Multiple Franchises and had usually 2+ Releases a year, they are truly a shell of their former selves at this point and I don't think a GTA VI without Dan Houser, Leslie Benzies and Lazlow is going to be any good... They were the heart and sole of GTA and they're long gone now. I believe Leslie is making a New "GTA Clone" so we should keep an eye on that if anything ?

Edited by MRR---OFFICIAL

8 hours ago, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

I believe Leslie is making a New "GTA Clone" so we should keep an eye on that if anything 1f914.png

As single-player games fan, I wouldn’t personally expect Leslie Benzies to do anything outstanding in that regard, considering that GTA Online was his brainchild (according to his 2015 lawsuit against Take-Two Housers didn’t like or want online component to GTA V at first) and what is already known about his new game Everywhere, which BTW seems to be in development hell itself after being announced almost 5 years ago.

12 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Speculation of course. Dan Houser and then Lazlow Jones leaving (I'm sure there have been smaller names too) do lend some credit to the idea though. Neither are citing this sort of thing as to why they've left of course, Lazlow has said he did so to "spend time with his family" for example, but as we know that is often just a cover.

In case of Lazlow it might be true, ’coz it’s no secret about his family members health issues.

Edited by Se7en
typo

On 11/1/2021 at 9:41 AM, The Alchemist said:

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this is true. Rockstar are almost a caricature of themselves at this point. Most of the old guard have long since left the company. The guys who made Rockstar so great to begin with. It really doesn't bode well for the future. 

We've only had 2 major releases from Rockstar since 2013; GTA V, & Red Dead Redemption 2. Two considerable undertakings for sure, but in the given timeframe, and the resources at Rockstar's disposal, it simply isn't good enough. Not for someone like Rockstar. Go back and look at the Rockstar of old, and the release schedule they used to maintain with their games. It's quite clear that games released far more frequently, and there was also a greater variety of games from them. I understand that games get bigger as time goes by, and the budget, time, and resources required drastically increase as a result. But even taking that into account, Rockstar's output has been utterly paltry. 

GTA V is releasing for its third consecutive console generation. It has become a worse meme than even Skyrim. Rockstar simply doesn't care about anything that isn't GTA Online. This is further evidenced with things such as the lack of single player DLC for GTA V, and Red Dead Redemption 2's online being all but abandoned because it wasn't a cash cow in the same way that GTA Online is. 

Rockstar used to be so ambitious, unafraid to take risks. Always pushing boundaries. Now they're nothing but a corporate shell of their past selves. Solely focusing on a single game for almost a decade is one thing, but I don't think we'll ever see another new IP from Rockstar, and that's probably an even worse crime.

Knowing all of this, it's difficult to get excited for GTA 6, development hell or not. Even if the single player (if there is single player) turns out to be great, you just know the real focus is once again going to be the online. They're probably already hard at work trying to figure out how to best monetise it. It'll probably take off like GTA Online did, and then we're back to square one again. It'll be GTA V all over again. A sole focus on extracting as much money from the whales as possible. Why bother making other games, or being ambitious and creating new IP when you can just milk the same game to death over multiple console generations?

The fact that I'm more excited for the upcoming GTA Trilogy than I am for GTA 6 sums up my feelings perfectly. If I get remastered versions of Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and Chinatown Wars, then I'll be satisfied. I don't care if Rockstar crap themselves to death after that. 

I think the main problem is Take-Two and corporate business suits that have taken over.

It happens to most any giant corporation. The visionaries and the people who started the company leave, then the suits take over and decide to milk what's already been established. Look at how Apple is faring. I don't think there's been anything innovative or groundbreaking to have come out of Apple for a decade now, not since Steve Jobs passed away.

I happen to know you a bit from the PST.org forums as you post frequently over there, and I also happen to know that most of us were kids when the PS2 era GTA games came out, including yourself. Honestly I just think that once we hit a certain part in our lives, in this case our 30s and sometimes 40s, we look back at the past to when we were kids and teenagers and vision what we saw as good. There's no question that for us gamers in my generation, the old GTA games left a mark on us, something we can't just wash away and forget about too easily.

It's sad though, because I think Rockstar could of made a new Bully, Max Payne, Manhunt and GTA. It's been so long now since Bully first came out I can't ever see this company making a sequel at all, especially not with the current political climate we live in today. Hell, even a new LA Noire game, I would of gone ecstatic over a sequel for it since I enjoyed it so much. 

And it doesn't look like they care enough to re-release GTA IV, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories and Chinatown Wars, games I actually do care about. But since when did a giant company ever care about my thoughts anyway?

Thank you for this post, probably the best written on this thread so far.

• Like 3