The Game Awards 2021 | Discussion Thread

Ghost

What is your Game of the Year for 2021?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Game of the Year for 2021?

• Deathloop (Arkane Studios / Bethesda)
    • It Takes Two (Hazelight Studios / EA)
    • Metroid Dread (Mercury Steam / Nintendo)
    • Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine / Xbox Game Studios)
    • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games / SIE)
    • Resident Evil Village (Capcom)
    • Other (reply to thread)

As someone else said the awards seemed to be way more evenly spread than last years which is a great thing. Deathloop was a snooze fest for me so I'm glad it didn't clean up all the awards. The way critics were going on about it I was almost certain it would. I don't think it should have won best art direction cause as good as Arkane's art direction is, it's the same for all their games and not unique to Deathloop.

I think most other awards were well deserved. Super happy for It Takes Two and Kena.

• Like 1

"Our first WORLD PREMIERE", shows a game that's been shown 300 times since 2017.

"This isn't cinematic, this is gameplay!", shows an in-engine cutscene with a few bits where you're allowed to run in the only direction you can run.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 2

The awards part of the show doesn't mean anything to me, but I'm happy for HIM at least. Congratulations, Mr. Fares (and also fuck the Oscars).

3TSPSaC.png

I'm surprised they even let It Takes Two win game of the year considering how game journos found its story/theme to be problematic. ?

As for the announcements (AKA the only reason to sit through this thing), the Alan Wake 2 reveal was genuinely exciting. Definitely the highlight for me because I love the first game. I thought Slitterhead looked really cool, and the fact that it has people like Keiichiro Toyama and Akira Yamaoka behind it makes this one of my most anticipated games. Oh, and Cuphead DLC is nice (although I haven't gotten around to playing the base game yet). I think that was about it for me in terms of stuff I care about. Was it worth sitting through 3 hours of filler and political propaganda just for that? Usually I'd say no, but it was fun to goof on with a friend of mine at least. ?

• Like 4

Ever since Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, I always look forward to what Fares and his studio release, so I am glad they won. I still need to play Psychonauts 2, it looks like a lot of fun and I only heard great things about it. Maybe also Metroid Dread, but at that price...plenty other great and cheaper metroidvania games out there that I have not yet played, plus I am not really a fan of how it looks, then again I see plenty of people praise it so who knows.

Honestly for me the highlights of this year's awards were listening to that Sting song for the 1st time (I really need to watch Arcane), also that Cuphead musical performance was great, the d.l.c finally has a release date! Alan Wake 2 getting announced was cool too, I love the 1st one, but it's a long time until 2023.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:06 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

I think the idea that It Takes Two is on that list is but Hitman 3 isn't is completely outrageous.

Oh, is It Takes Two bad? I was thinking of trying it with my brother sometime, since we both loved Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

My personal GOTY was probably RE8 but I'm not mad that It Takes Two got GOTY, but I will say, I am MASSIVELY confused on how it did win.

Only thing I'm mad about is Ratchet & Clank not winning Best Art Direction because it wasn't even a competition, Ratchet & Clank had the best this year but Deathloop somehow won that shit? As well Persona 5 Strikers not even being NOMINATED for Best Score was also a massive disappointment since it has one of the best soundtracks in recent years in my opinion & I STILL bop to that shit.

5 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm surprised they even let It Takes Two win game of the year considering how game journos found its story/theme to be problematic. ?

Disliking one aspect of a game, while liking others. What a novel concept. ?

It Takes Two has a Metacritic score of 88/89, which is as high a score as any of the other nominees. It was actually quite popular with the game reviewers.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

Oh, is It Takes Two bad? I was thinking of trying it with my brother sometime, since we both loved Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

It’s not awful mechanically, but it’s sure as shit not good enough to be beating the games on that list!

• Like 1

I was majorly disappointed by the reveals in the show. It was overhyped. But why should I expect anything less?

This is just me personally though. About the only thing they showed that I actually cared about was the new Sonic movie trailer (they hypocrites lol) and Sonic Frontiers.

That was literally it.

None of the games I care about are going to come out ever.