What help do you get from Trophy Guides? -

beastuk1

Usually before buying a game to see if it is unattainable.

I have no problem with a game being hard or taking a long time, but if possible I want to avoid playing anything that has become impossible to 100% due to servers closing or unavailable dlc etc.

Been burned already by Army of Two 2 and Zen Pinball though :(

• Like 1

Usually before buying a game to see if it is unattainable.

I have no problem with a game being hard or taking a long time, but if possible I want to avoid playing anything that has become impossible to 100% due to servers closing or unavailable dlc etc.

Been burned already by Army of Two 2 and Zen Pinball though :(

This. I usually check if i see a good deal on an older game just to see if theres anything silly to worry about. I also use them for collectibles because i just cant be bothered for that junk

I'll use a guide if the game has a very big item/inventory system. Anything involving crafting or database specific stuff. But i won't use them to show me how to 'win' the game (e.g following a walkthrough), just as a reference. Ni No Kuni is a good example, has a large bestiary and a big crafting system. I use it to search for some of the more rare items and their locations.

Missable and glitched trophies, if there is any additional hardware I need to get a platinum, collectibles and sometimes estimated time to reach the trophy specific online rank if I don't like the multiplayer in a game. Sometimes if I have a lot of trouble with something I take a look but that doesn't happen very often.

Missables, glitches, collectibles, time consuming trophies, online tropies or not, closed servers or not, how many playthroughs are needed to get the plat, etc.

Couldn't have said it better  :ninja:

Missables don't bother me that much, if the game is on a short side.

BUT, if there is a missable in an RPG/JRPG, then I want to know what to look for beforehand.

Learned that lesson from Skyrim, I'm still bitter about THAT one trophy....

• Like 1

BUT, if there is a missable in an RPG/JRPG, then I want to know what to look for beforehand.

I'm guessing you're referring to the deadric artifacts. I also learned my lesson the hard way: I missed the treasure hunter trophy in Final Fantasy XIII, because I sold an equipment that should've been upgraded and there was no way to get it again. Spend 100 hours grinding money for nothing, because I had to start another playthrough  :(  (PSNP really needs a crying smiley for those special occaisions).

Edited by Dragon-Archon

I'm guessing you're referring to the deadric artifacts. I also learned my lesson the hard way: I missed the treasure hunter trophy in Final Fantasy XIII, because I sold an equipment that should've been upgraded and there was no way to get it again. Spend 100 hours grinding money for nothing, because I had to start another playthrough  :(  (PSNP really needs a crying smiley for those special occaisions).

You are absolutely correct, those damn artifacts...RPGs really shouldn't have those kind of missable trophies.

Treasure Hunter is another fine example, I had to check and double check everything every minute or so.

I feel your pain, all that grinding...again  :unsure:

One of the main reasons I'm using a very strick quest checklist for Dragon's Dogma, that game pulls no punches to let you know you can't complete a quest anymore xD And there are so many others that are only available for a little time. So brutal that I love it.

I always play through a game the first time without even looking at the trophy list. After I beat it, I'll look through the trophy list and glance through a guide for glitched and missable trophies. On HD remakes for games I've played before, I'll usually look up a guide before starting though. To see how possible it is, or how long it's going to take. If it's going to take too long, or is too difficult, I'll usually skip it in favor of another game. Anyway, I try to do things on my own first, but I'll look to a guide if I can't do something.

Edited by ExHaseo

-missable trophies

-tips on how to get the most frustrating trophies as fast as possible.

-look for an "easier" method on how to get said "reach max level in multiplayer" trophies on games with mediocre multiplayer modes.

Edited by Blue Flare

Before I start playing a game, I for trophy guides (if there's any) to check out for Missable Trophies (learned my lesson from Jak and Daxter I, when you have to use the touch screen in playing fishing mini-game), then play the game without using guide, If I have already finished the game and there is still trophies not yet gained and the description is unclear or Hidden, will check again a guide to get 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

Most times when I play a game I'll do a play through for fun then once I'm done I'll check out what I've missed and use a guide for trophies that either I don't know how to get or need video explanations on how to achieve those goals. In some cases I'll look at a guide while I play if the game is not one I really want to spend too much time on.

I would say:

1) Missable trophies

2) Trophies that are not explained well in the trophy description

3) To complete a game in the fastest time possible

4) Youtube vids attached for quick viewing

5) Any hidden collectibles

Sometimes its nice to have a guide but not always necessary for some games