Sony to buy Bungie

waltdisneypixar

For those wondering "Why only for Destiny", Bungie has been working on a new game for the past few years now, the game at the moment is titled "Matter" and it has otherwise been hush hush for development. Destiny also makes huge amounts of money. During Anni DLC on steam back on the same day as Infinite release, It was taking two of the top five slots and almost beating Halo Infinite in sales with the DLC pack alone. It makes lots of bank still.

I absolutely do not like this massive arms race between Sony and Microsoft now. In my opinion, Sony need only expand on their current studios to stay on top, not go on spending sprees like Microsoft who needed to buy up IPs quickly to catch up.

I never liked Destiny but clearly there are plans over at Bungie that we, the public, aren't privy to just yet

Excellent move to be right up front about the multiplat dedication in contrast to how opaque Microsoft are being

Those of you calling for the likes of Capcom, Square-Enix, FromSoftware etc (even Nintendo? wtf y'all smoking?) to be acquired... erm, maybe those companies aren't looking to sell? No doubt MS and Sony have put in offers in the past that were turned down. Consolidation is not a good thing, no matter who is doing it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, THE DARK KNIGHT said:

makes absolutely no sense to let them be a state in state, if you bought them, take them off of xbox, just like xbox is doing with Bethesda and Acti after the contracts end.

It promotes bad practice do you want most publishers to be bought and have those games exlusive cause i don't it's bad for us 

10 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

I absolutely do not like this massive arms race between Sony and Microsoft now. In my opinion, Sony need only expand on their current studios to stay on top, not go on spending sprees like Microsoft who needed to buy up IPs quickly to catch up.

I never liked Destiny but clearly there are plans over at Bungie that we, the public, aren't privy to just yet

Excellent move to be right up front about the multiplat dedication in contrast to how opaque Microsoft are being

Those of you calling for the likes of Capcom, Square-Enix, FromSoftware etc (even Nintendo? wtf y'all smoking?) to be acquired... erm, maybe those companies aren't looking to sell? No doubt MS and Sony have put in offers in the past that were turned down. Consolidation is not a good thing, no matter who is doing it.

I'm not a fan of this particular arms race either, but I think as someone locked onto a Sony console some acquisitions on their part *could* be a good thing for us. We're already going to be missing out on Bethesda games, and that is major. While Sony's exclusives are top notch, none of their games can compare in scale to Skyrim or Fallout 4, and those are experiences that we are now wholly locked out of. Doesn't hurt to have some games guaranteed to remain on PS.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I'm not a fan of this particular arms race either, but I think as someone locked onto a Sony console some acquisitions on their part *could* be a good thing for us. We're already going to be missing out on Bethesda games, and that is major. While Sony's exclusives are top notch, none of their games can compare in scale to Skyrim or Fallout 4, and those are experiences that we are now wholly locked out of. Doesn't hurt to have some games guaranteed to remain on PS.

Somehow I doubt new entries in those Bethesda franchises will reach the popularity of previous ones, given how a huge portion of their fanbases have also been locked out of getting in on them and I doubt all 30 million folks who bought Skyrim will migrate to Xbox just to play the next Elder Scrolls entry in 2026 (at the earliest). Also, everyone is pretty sick of Skyrim with all the re-releases and contemporary analysis of the vanilla version i.e. without mods isn't all that positive, and Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 were not exactly universally acclaimed. I'm more annoyed that I may not be able to play future Doom and Arkane Studios games on PlayStation. Bethesda were being widely criticised before the acquisition which somehow made a lot of people forget about the downward spiral it was on, funnily enough. A lot is riding on Starfield which is ostensibly coming out this November yet we've seen nothing outside of a CG trailer and some concept art.

It matters little to me in the long run since I play on all platforms though

Edited by Stan Lee

44 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Another day another waste of money chasing names. Better off focusing on increasing current quality, it's a laugh looking at AAA games.

Agreed. We're going the exact opposite. The only thing that generates quality is competition.

This it's not good in any way, this stupid war of this two fools Ryan and Spencer it's scary, there wouldn't be more independent  companies just because the ego of these two and their minion fanboys, at this point having a PC it's best option.

Bungie just have the shitty destiny  with that money they could purchase Capcom or Square Enix to have HUNDREDS of sagas instead of just one that it's boring as hell but jimbo has horse shit instead of brain so we can't expect more 

Edited by TheAbyssWalker61

1 hour ago, kidson2004 said:

Same here. Was hoping FromSoftware and Square Enix. Shoot, if they got their hands on Nintendo, that would've been hella crazy!

FromSoftware is owned by Kadokawa and I doubt they'd sell. Sony already owns a stake in SE and SE already announced they're not looking to sell. (Which is corpo for no one has offered enough money yet)

It's an interesting purchase, mainly because it's so unlike Sony in how they do business. Sony typically acquires developers who they have a long-standing relationship with. Developers who are basically Sony through and through. This is part of the "organic growth" that PlayStation so often speaks about. Bungie isn't that at all really, so it's interesting to see Sony breaking with tradition in this instance.

This now opens up the door to more 'unexpected' acquisitions in my opinion. And we know that PlayStation has some money to play around with. Sony as a whole set aside $18B for investments and acquisitions a few months back. With PlayStation being the breadwinner for the company, I wouldn't be surprised to see PlayStation being allocated the overwhelming majority of that fund, and more if necessary.

Interesting times ahead, even though I abhor the current consolidation the industry is facing. Feels like nobody is off limits anymore. But with Microsoft doing Microsoft, pushback was inevitable at some point. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Another day another waste of money chasing names. Better off focusing on increasing current quality, it's a laugh looking at AAA games.

Acquisitions are about IPs, not games. Destiny makes millions in merchandise and merchandise is a market Sony is lacking in right now compared to their competitors

13 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Somehow I doubt new entries in those Bethesda franchises will reach the popularity of previous ones, given how a huge portion of their fanbases have also been locked out of getting in on them and I doubt all 30 million folks who bought Skyrim will migrate to Xbox just to play the next Elder Scrolls entry in 2026 (at the earliest). Also, everyone is pretty sick of Skyrim with all the re-releases and contemporary analysis of the vanilla version i.e. without mods isn't all that positive, and Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 were not exactly universally acclaimed. I'm more annoyed that I may not be able to play future Doom and Arkane Studios games on PlayStation. Bethesda were being widely criticised before the acquisition which somehow made a lot of people forget about the downward spiral it was on, funnily enough. A lot is riding on Starfield which is ostensibly coming out this November yet we've seen nothing outside of a CG trailer and some concept art.

Skyrim is a meme in serious gaming communities, sure. But it hasn't sold 30 million copies through being hated. Similarly, while Fallout 4 disappointed some long time fans, it was critically acclaimed and widely beloved. Certainly not comparable to Fallout 76.

As others have said I'm not a fan of this trend thats been going on but bungie did go independent awhile ago so I wouldn't say it's as bad as buying an entire publisher with multiple studios under em. 

Destiny as a series is a massive success whether you like it or not so I wouldn't be surprised if Sony will be using their expertise to bring more shooters or live service games to their platform. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kidson2004 said:

Same here. Was hoping FromSoftware and Square Enix. Shoot, if they got their hands on Nintendo, that would've been hella crazy!

Sony cannot buy Nintendo because they don't have the money.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/SONY/sony/cash-on-hand

Nintendo's current market cap sits at around 57 billion.

https://companiesmarketcap.com/nintendo/marketcap/

Edited by R4M Razr
  • Like 2

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/31/bungie-is-joining-playstation/

Shocking a lot of people (a small number called this) Sony has gone and bought Bungie. I will try and address a number of things below to start the thread off, apologies if I miss any. 

Is this a reaction to Microsoft buying Bethesda and Activision?

These sort of deals usually take a good amount of time to get done so you would expect that Sony was in talks to buy them out for at least months before Microsoft did their purchases. On the other hand as seen with the Activision sale, these things can happen very quickly when the involved parties want to go forward with it rapidly which this could be a case of. No real answer and just speculation I know but it is what it is.

Microsoft was interested but didn't get Bungie. How or why did that happen?

Speaking of speculation, here is some more that might interest you. Word is that Microsoft had been aiming to purchase Bungie themselves before Sony and for unknown reasons that didn't happen. Now obviously Sony can't outbid Microsoft in cold hard cash so if Microsoft failed that begs the question of... why? Some have said that Microsoft simply did not see this sort of value in Bungie and so dropped out. This would be a normal thing and make sense but on the other hand... the Microsoft money pit is very much open and they're wiling to spend whatever it takes to bury the competition. Spencer is also known to be a big lover of Destiny from what I know, and while that obviously doesn't necessarily mean he'd pull out all the stops to acquire Bungie, it is something to note as something that might go against the talk of Microsoft dropping out. Another is talk that Bungie still has issues with Microsoft and so was willing to sell to anyone over Microsoft. I've heard of issues before but I wouldn't think they'd be that heavy... but not impossible I suppose. Relating to that, considering the word on the current deal between Bungie and Sony, it could be that Microsoft, of "we're against exclusives" fame, wanted them making gamepass stuff for Xbox/PC/Phone/TV/Toilet bowls and excluding other platforms which Bungie has an issue with. Sony meanwhile was happy to accept that. A third possible reason is Microsoft feeling they're currently drawing too much attention and can't be getting more of it right now which... might be the case, though we'll see if it ain't if Microsoft announces another purchase.

Will Bungie really continue multiplatform?

To start of we should remember that due to PC existing any talk of their games continuing as "multiplatform" titles could just mean PlayStation and PC. Destiny obviously ain't going to get pulled off other platforms as that is self destructive. Soon to come titles might also come to Microsoft if there are any deals between the two on that matter... but future ones? It seems hard to imagine that Sony, who has cared for exclusives far more than Microsoft has been known to, would accept that... but wouldn't be without precedent. Psygnosis, who is bought up a lot these days to defend Microsoft's big purchases, wasn't just allowed to be multiplatform by Sony when they were bought out, but Psygnosis even did exclusives for other companies (Nintendo/Sega/Amiga/PC only titles). 

Why Bungie?

Bungie are considered by many to be some of the best, if not the best, when it comes to making FPSs. With Microsoft taking such a large chunk of that genre away from Sony it does make sense to get some big name talent in that genre under you to produce FPSs themselves, and also aid other studios put out better FPSs for Sony. Destiny is also a multiplayer and live service game, both being areas that Sony has put down as their areas to heavily focus on.

Did they get a good price or are they overpaying?

Unless incompetently done the buyer in these deals is always going to be paying more than something is worth to buy it. I recall in 2019 talk of Bungie making 300 million in microtransactions alone and they've since only gotten more successful so it could well be that the deal pays itself off quicker than you'd expect. 

Can more purchases be expected?

Jim Ryan has said yes, however, that means nothing as he can only ever say yes to that question. Smaller studios that have worked with Sony, Lucid Games for example who did Destruction AllStars, are expected to be pick ups for Sony at some point going forward. They will of course no doubt be looking at some western companies. Japanese? Unlikely, though not impossible. Sony's focus, infamously, has been away from Japan for some time so unless Microsoft makes a big effort to buy out Japan (unlikely) then Sony won't likely bother. Though as I said, not impossible. Rumours paint the picture of while buying out Konami itself might not happen, they might be willing to sell IP which they ain't going to do anything with, some of said IP being big, Metal Gear for example. Square Enix is another because while they've been doing well recently, people expect a rough 2022. Square also has a bunch of exclusive deals with Sony already, which can point to a purchase, and they also have some valuable licenses such as the Disney related stuff. 

Isn't this what people were attacking Microsoft for?

Obviously we shouldn't be pleased that a big studio got bought out, however, if we're comparing it to Microsoft's purchases then they ain't the same no. Microsoft bought out publishers while this is a studio, a large one, but nevertheless a studio. 

Is this a conspiracy by Sony to conscript the makers of Halo to not only transform Killzone into the "Halo killer" it was meant to be, but also a CoD killer?

Obviously, no speculation here. Mark down 2024, 20 years after Killzone 1 released, for when all other FPSs enter... the Killzone. No one is going to want or need to play another FPS when Killzone: The Killzone releases. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, R4M Razr said:

Sony cannot buy Nintendo because they don't have the money.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/SONY/sony/cash-on-hand

Nintendo's current market cap sits at around 57 billion.

https://companiesmarketcap.com/nintendo/marketcap/

Companies purchase other companies in all-stock deals all the time. It’s quite common to take in a load of debt buying a company with the long term plan of recouping through all sorts of methods. 

Cash on hand is never a good sole measurement of whether a company can purchase another. 

• Like 1

Ah, so they're merging all the threads here? Huh... I suppose that makes some sense, but at the same time a lot of people see the console section as the place for this stuff so yeah. You can't blame people for missing this here and posting over there.

Anyway, there is my contribution a some posts above this. Addresses a number of things which would be good to be addressed in the OP... but it is what it is. 

Edited by Rozalia1