Why are they doing this? Platinum rant.

Valkyre4

On 3/2/2022 at 5:14 AM, Valkyre4 said:

I just looked up the Platinum roadmap by Powerpyx and I am absolutely baffled at how exhausting this thing looks...

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind making a 150 hour open world game and deciding not only to include missable trophies in it, but also make those trophies so exhausting to acquire? Like there are 15 step instructions for getting a specific missable trophy, things that look so easy to miss. Hell some of them are dependent on dialogue options...

Am I the only one who finds this absolutely moronic? This thing practically is asking for you to spoil the entire game, by reading a guide, in order to achieve the platinum in one go...

I dont get it. This isnt a 20-30 hour game. I get missable trophies in small/medium sized games. I get that. But doing this in a huge open world game with a ton of content is almost insulting to people who dont have 300 hours lying around to spare.

The least you can do is make your trophies as hard as you want, but dont make them frigging missable for crying out loud...!

Just figured I would chip in here and mention the fact that literally, no trophy in this game is missable EXCEPT for Legendary Armaments and this involves the Granax Bolt spear and it depends on whether you picked it up before you covered the city in Ash. So no there is no missable trophies. Most of the dialog options have single-line answers which automatically make you choose the correct one.

Even the dragon placidusax which involves the fia quest. I totally forgot to do any of it but I picked up all the key items for the quest beforehand. so when I went back to the round table to initiate this quest the sorcerer dude was dead, and fia wouldn't do anything but give me a hug, but upon burning the tree and defeating Godfrey the first elder I went back to the round table and everyone was gone. I went to the location of the dragon boss and fia was there. we talked in secret and the quest pushed up to the point after revisiting her 3 times she ported me to the dream world and I was able to kill the boss, albeit being massively overleveled I smashed him. and I cleaned up many other bosses at the very end of the game as well. So nothing is really missable because I literally did it all at the very end of the game.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BloodyRutz said:

Map fragment locations can actually be seen on an uncovered map. You need to concentrate more on the actual game than on looking up guides for every single thing.

Yep once you realize what your looking for sure enough they can.  thing is everyone here acting like they are playing it all blind then they get the platinum in 4 days.  i'm calling bullshit on that.  Everyone is wanting to enjoy the gam and take their time and preach and act like they are some voice of reason about everything and they are the ones sitting glued to a guide getting the platinum in 72 hours real time.    So people put your money where your mouth is and let me see you all get the platinum and never look at a guide.  You can be a smart ass but you may also be a liar.  I played the 1st 24 hours blind and i didn't realize the map locations were marked with a little stone pillars, big fuckng deal. Fyi i love the game as is, plan on playing the game on multiple platforms multiple playthoughs.  anybody tells me they navigated that entire map and followed all the quest lines in 4 days without referencing guides is full of shit.

• Like 4

Here's something wild & wacky. Maybe you're not suppose to platinum in 1 playthrough? There are 3 different ending trophies after all. If you want to spoil it to platinum it in 1 go, that is your own fault, not the fault of the game. I swear all trophy hunters do these days is complain about trophy lists. If you don't like the trophy list, don't platinum it. If you want the platinum handed to you, tons of $1 plats out there instead

Edited by ObsiEez
  • Like 4

I get what you’re saying and I won’t be patronizing about it. This is the case for just about all souls games except blood borne which is probably the easiest souls game to plat (even though you do have to do 2 playthroughs unless you want to jump through hoops and ladders with your save files). 

this is why I settled with playing the whole thing Blind knowing a platinum run will just have to be in my future (which is fine by me, I love these games!) As much as I’d love a platinum that can be rewarded with spending the time doing everything once, it’s just not how these games historically operate. 

that said, still easier than jrpg’s from the ps3 era LOL

• Like 3

I’m about to post something that is so revolutionary that ppl in this very topic may have their minds blown by the very concept.

…Just playtru the game normally, then clean up the rest in NG+ via a guide.

You get to fully explore the rich world from software created while being able to get the plat without ruining this gen defining experience.

Yes you may have a longer road to the plat due to this, but that’s the price ya gotta pay sometimes to enjoy this hobby, can’t always have your cake and eat it.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, BluesFanUK said:

Another game with an enormous grind? Yep, one to miss.

What exactly needs grinding? I’m 90 hours in and other than farming for runes to buy upgrades stones I haven’t had to grind out anything. I’m also level 145 and that all come from just playing the game, not grinding for runes.

• Like 1

I don't understand the amount of complaining in this thread. If you don't want to put the time in to get the plat, then move on.

Honestly. This is one of the easier Soulsborne platinums to get. There's ONE missable thing, and the OP kicks up dirt and throws a fuss. There's a single missable legendary arnament. That's it. Aside from the endings, which you only have to do a backup save to ensure that you get all three in one playthrough after ensuring that you do all the appropriate steps.

Literally every other trophy is for killing bosses, and gathering spells, incantations, and talismans, none of which are missable. Have you ever seen another Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, or Bloodborne trophy list? Most of those require multiple playthroughs which can amount to over 60 hours anyway, and with a hell of a lot more effort and attention to detail. You don't have to "spoiler" this game and use an entire walkthrough to ensure that you get, quite literally, every item IN the game to get the platinum.

There are RPGs with longer, more tedious trophy lists.

I respect your right to have your opinion, but my opinion is that this complaining is just sad and quite frankly, coming from the stand point of someone who has never played a previous Soulsborne title and expects their platinums to all be handed to them. You don't have the time? That's cool. Move on. You're not entitled to the platinum.

• Like 2

People need to understand that you can be a huge fan of Soulsbornesekiroring (as I am) but still be angry about the way they implemented trophies in those games ;)

Saying "this is just how it is with this series" is bullshit. If somebody doesn't like something, they have a right to rant about it. This does not mean that anybody needs to listen to them or that the games need to be changed or anything like that, but stop saying to those people that they are "wrong".

There is no wrong or right in this, just personal preference.

And I personally would not mind if no game ever has any missable trophies or online trophies or even grindy trophies anymore because that would not automatically mean that you get trophies handed to you nor would it mean all becomes piss easy. There are many creative ways to make an engaging fun and even challenging trophy list without resorting to missables, hour-long grinds, or online shenanigans. If we take Elden Ring as an example, instead of endings trophies or missable items you could do trophies like "defeat a troll barehanded" or something similar... you know, hard stuff that takes some skill and effort to do but is not missable (in this example, trolls respawn). The open-world makes all kind of shenanigans possible and resorting to "find all stuff" or "playthrough three times" is, in my opinion, lazy and uncreative - and annoying for players because of all the reasons stated in other posts I made in this thread.

• Like 3

It baffles me how bad people's reading comprehension is,  they preach hard trophies and playing long playthroughs blind and discovering things for yourself, and yet they struggle to read through a post that takes 2 minutes to read lol. Half the responses here miss the point of the original post completely.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2022 at 0:35 PM, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

They are called TROPHIES for a reason - you have to earn them. They aren't called PARTICIPATION AWARDS lol But many seem to forget about it.

Boy do they... can we add this as a quote to the top of the front page of the website?

This was an interesting read during lunch. So, as someone who's never played or has interest in playing a 'Souls' game I think most of you completely missed the point. It goes beyond Elden Ring to a degree.

I agree with the OP, games are excellent with a wide open world, lots to do, lots to explore, and encourage you to 100% it (game, not necessarily the platinum). His gripe is that the trophies seem to be made in a way that might accidentally force someone who is looking forward to the game, seems to be playing it regardless, and is willing to sink '150' hours into and face all the difficulties and world scope on another 30,50,75... hours due to poor trophy design. Suppose this could be true for a lot of people who have limited time and also shared between other games.

In essence, no one here seems to mind the difficulty of the trophies in a Souls-game, the exploration, a degree of grind, and triple digit time invested in platinuming a game dear to a player. But it does carry a point that missable/obtuse/timing specific trophies aren't needed in such games where there is so much more to do and invest the player to complete in at least a single full (100% game) playthrough rather than force a 2nd one some might not have the time for. Hell, we do this for fun in the end - no?

Personally I think games of this scope (ER, RDR, Horizon, Tsushima...) should have no problem finding interesting activities in their worlds to encourage detailed play and exploration from the player (alongside story and skill related stuff). You could set up 'all side quests completed' or 'particular large side quest completed' but it just takes away from the world if you make it completely missable or have-to-finish-in-a-very-specific-manner/time way.

Again, I've never played this and have no interest but forums on the topic of these games have such strong opinions on the 'demands' of the game. I mean sure you all enjoy the challenge and the time spent mastering the difficulties, routes, speedruns, tactics etc. but there really isn't a matter of honor having to beat a massive game twice because you missed a particular choice or progressed the story a little bit too much? You all seem to enjoy and love the game and really it shouldn't make such a difference and ability to platinum the title between a played who did a single 150 hour otherwise a 100% run and one that did 7 runs in 600 hours...

• Like 2

It might look daunting on the first glance but be asure it's really not that bad at all. As long as you keep a few things in mind you are good. I first thought it might be tough to do all this in one go but it really is easily doable. The game is a masterpiece, don't get distracted by the trophies :-)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spike_Hostile17 said:

Like the author, I wish the game had been harder instead of just featuring missable trophies. I am playing it on pc, seriously it's like the most casual Souls i have ever played. Can't even begin to imagine how easy it must be if you also play a magician.

agree with you, besides Radhaan and Preceptor Miriam. Those two encounters, IMO, are super badly designed and therefore unnecessarily hard/frustrating. They are quite a disappointment considering From Software's track record when it comes to cool boss encounters. However, when you think about how many encounters there are in this game, there's bound to be some misses in there. It's not like every boss in every one of their games was a hit before, but these two, in particular, are really poorly designed. Again, my opinion.

Other than that, it is definitely the most accessible a Souls game has been. There is some anecdotal evidence in my entourage as there are some of my friends now playing Elden Ring for dozens of hours that gave up on DS or BB after less than 5 hours.

And I think it's the "little things" that made this game a bit easier. There is pretty much a checkpoint right before most bosses for example. And also, thanks to the open-world design, when a boss encounter is too hard for you, you can easily go and do something else for many, many hours and then come back stronger than before. In older Souls games, you could basically only backtrack and grind mobs you already encountered before to level up. Here, you can simply say "ok fuck this boss, I come back later" and go exploring and fight a dozen of optional bosses and explore dungeons and just do a lot of different stuff, which probably helps newcomers with keeping morale high and staying motivated.

And it's also super easy to farm XP in this game, especially since, again thanks to the open-world design, you can go to endgame areas quite early and do some farming there.

But while I think this might be one of the easier games (as of now, I still think Bloodborne is the easiest, but there's still A LOT for me to do in Elden Ring, even though I already broke the 60h barrier), I'm not necessarily salty about that. Difficulty can be a very satisfying thing but, even though I'm a fan of Soulsbornesekiroring and like the excitement, you get when you finally beat a hard boss or whatever, it is not necessarily what I crave about gaming. I'm not against difficult games in any way, but I'd say 80% of my gaming time I prefer to chill while gaming instead of feeling constantly under pressure.

37 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

OP has a point. He is not shitting on your favorite game just questioning the choice of trophy requirements. And mentioning that Souls games were always like that is not a good argument. To be honest the trophy requirements were always kinda weird. All these sarcastical and arrogant responses are ridiculous.

I agree and to be fair just because a trophy list is like this for one game series does not mean a game like it should be the same and or just dodging the questions or the rant and so on. personally I feel having missable trophies in any game is annoying. As why should you have to the end of the game again to do one simple crappy trophy like how in 3d dot game heroes has it where if you don't do a single side quest/ go to the dude for a side quest all the time your fucked as you would need to do another whole playthrough to do it again and that can be annoying.

• Like 2