"I have no mic" in 2022

HamiTosh

Why do people beat around the bush on this matter? Literally at least here in Europe most certainly every PS4 came with a simple headset out of the box.

As well most certainly people will have a headphones laying around.

If you wouldnt wanna talk with people online, why don just say it?

Edited by HamiTosh
language

7 minutes ago, HamiTosh said:

As well most certainly people will have a corded phone headset laying around.

Most people, you say? I love how people just assume what other people own. Especially when it comes to phones. I wouldn't even know what a corded phone headset looks like, let alone have one just lying around.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gamercris066 said:

The PS5 controller has a built in microphone it comes with the system.

even better, yet people say dont have a mic, tho is that built-in mic usable at all?

2 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Most people, you say? I love how people just assume what other people own. Especially when it comes to phones. I wouldn't even know what a corded phone headset looks like, let alone have one just lying around.

Sorry Mister I apologize, I am not a native English speaker, I mean "headphones" you know that accessoire which gives u the ability to hear sound from your phone over a cable which is connected to small speakers, which fit in the ears, that clear enough?

Or is that too old school, I know wireless headphones are trending now.

Yes, I "assume" it because it is a part which gets shipped with the PS4 at least here in EUROPE(so long you buyed it brand-new and sealed).

Simple, I also use the "I have no mic" excuse because otherwise I'll never hear the end of "but why won't you mic, it's fun, come on you shy?" x100 other reason for me to use a damn microphone instead of chatting via discord. Swear to god people who keep insisting on microphone sound like they want to hook up with me.

Saying I have no mic is easier and more polite than "i don't want to waste my voice on a conversation" xD 

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

"I'm 38, I have a wife and child who are asleep. Also, I don't want to sit in an empty living room, talking out loud like some kind of maniac. Or discover that I'm conversing with a minor by accident like some kind of pervert. Plus, I'm Scottish, and you probably wouldn't understand my accent anyways..." 1f602.png

Or that ?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

There's an unspoken social contract.

Everyone knows "I have no mic" doesn't always mean the actually have no mic - it's just a shorthand.

I'n my case, it's a shorthand for:

"I'm 38, I have a wife and child who are asleep. Also, I don't want to sit in an empty living room, talking out loud like some kind of maniac. Or discover that I'm conversing with a minor by accident like some kind of pervert. Plus, I'm Scottish, and you probably wouldn't understand my accent anyways..." ?

Guess I am quite honest on that matter, if i dont wanna talk to someone i either mute them or say i dont want to talk.

I know about family, if my family is sleeping i tell my friend that i cant talk.

@AihaLoveleaf 

Exactly, I love it when i make game sessions where a mic will facilitate everything, like u said in coop.i dont wanna be texting novels, explaining everything talking is faster and instant. yet some people wanna do it without a mic and get pissed if its not working out haha

Edited by HamiTosh
  • Like 2

People tell me that I have a very loud voice and I usually play at evenings/nights so using a mic is not an option. I'm also awkward and find it difficult to speak on the phone even in my native language. If I do talk during games it's usually limited to a few short words like "OK", "Sure", "Sorry" ?

Not using a mic hasn't been a problem for me so far though. I usually use the PS app to type out messages if I have to or want to communicate and people just talk to me if they want to give instructions/cooperate or anything else. This way I managed to complete Ghost of Tsushima: Legends and Fall Guys (Infallible with a squad).

Met some awesome people who were absolutely chill about me being silent. ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HamiTosh said:

even better, yet people say dont have a mic, tho is that built-in mic usable at all?

Yes, Simply click the microphone icon on the controller to mute or unmute. You can also adjust the volume in the settings.

Edited by gamercris066

16 minutes ago, Alchemised said:

Met some awesome people who were absolutely chill about me being silent. 1f600.png

This is facts for me too. Of course it's a bit different in my case but even before I came out as a trans woman, I wasn't exactly comfortable with using mics and stuff. Heck, if people didn't know, they'd probably naturally assume who I am based on how I sound, which is no one's fault but not using mics just saves the awkwardness for me. I recently helped some dudes with boosting Super Street (I know their pain, even reinstalled the game just for them) and I said I don't use mics etc, they were fine with it and I understood what I needed to do anyway. Sometimes being the silent helper is an option.

Edited by StygianWolf4
  • Like 1

I only use a mic when I'm with my dedicated gaming group(s). Admittedly, I use the same ol' "I don't have a mic" lie lots of times. I don't need all y'all harassing me once you find out I'm a woman.

• Like 2

Well iam like that aswell ? because I don’t own a headset and I didn’t know that there where earplugs with the ps4 pro ? but after a friend told me during a coop session I use them now and then when I play coop.. so it was honest from me but I understand why some people where surprised that I said I don’t have it

52 minutes ago, HamiTosh said:

If you wouldnt wanna talk with people online, why don just say it?

a. Don't want to get into an argument or a longer discussion about why you don't want to talk

b. Don't want to hurt anyones feelings, if someone seems like they might take it personally

c. Some people may legitimately not have a mic, or maybe not realize what can be used as a mic, or that the PS5 has one built-in

I don't really find myself in this position... since if I play online its either with IRL family and friends who I don't mind voice chatting with, randoms who I'd just silently ignore petitions to voice chat, or in games that have text chat (like FFXIV).  I understand why people might lie about it though.  I probably would.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Helyx said:

I only use a mic when I'm with my dedicated gaming group(s). Admittedly, I use the same ol' "I don't have a mic" lie lots of times. I don't need all y'all harassing me once you find out I'm a woman.

I got harassed a lot too, people being racist,sexist etc.

first thing someone asked me when they added me "are you a woman" "are you gay". what does my gender matter for playing together?

I purposefully keep it unclear so people can "try" to focus more on me as a gamer.

• Like 1

I honestly don't have one and don't care enough to get one.  The included headphone (literally comes with one plastic earpiece) for the PS4 is a total piece of shit.  Completely uncomfortable and cheap.  Tried it once, and you couldn't pay me to use it. 

Also not all headphones come with a mic.  Have boosted and did co-op, and I will always let the person know ahead of time I don't have a mic.  Hasn't ever been an issue.  If they told me they would rather play with a person with a mic, wouldn't bother me either.  I guess if multiplayer team games are your thing, it would be a problem.  But for the games I've played, never needed it.

2 hours ago, HamiTosh said:

Literally at least here in Europe most certainly every PS4 came with a simple headset out of the box.

I sold mine at CEX the day I got it. So I legit have no mic. :)

Anyhow I'm sure most people here have already given answers as to why someone would say they have "no mic", even if they might actually have a mic.

In my case, I don't talk to randos and I can't even remember the last time I used a mic with a console anyway. I just use a headset via my PC with Discord (or Skype back in the day) for every console.

This has the same energy as randos on AIM asking why you don't have a cam cause "they aren't that expensive".

I'm generally not a voice chat kind of person, so I'll normally be straight forward with my "no, thank you". If we're talking about voice on console, it gets simpler. We've all seen the horror stories about PSN accounts getting perm'd for saying basic crap, I'm not dumb enough to give them the chance.

• Like 1

Being honest and telling people you don't want to talk almost NEVER ends there...it then turns into a berated conversation about how much of an asshole I was for simply saying I don't feel like talking. Saying I don't have a mic is saying the same thing yet most people just let it be at that point. 

People say they want honesty...but can rarely ever take it.