PS3 (4.89) & Vita (3.74) Require Device Password & Remove Account Creation on System

Maxie_M0us3

Just now, MaxieM0us3 said:

You can no longer use your normal account password to log in a PS3 or Vita. You need to generate a password for each of these consoles, once you save the password on the console you won’t have to enter it again.It’s obviously done to straighten the security for 10-15 years old technology, yes it adds more steps but it’s for the best for stronger security.

OK understand if it's for better security than that is good, so I have to do this shit for all my consoles such a pain in the ass even if it is once for each account on each console.

3 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

another thing that sucks is i have a few alts i forgot the pw to, i just have them auto saved on the ps3. they arent that important but still im going to lose them now and have to create new ones.

If you still remember the password to e-mails related to that accounts you can simply request a new pass, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Source not verified, but look how easy it is to fabricate a story and have it spread around the internet and be accepted as fact by people looking for confirmation bias. 

I wonder if that CFW-related error code on my PS3 was caused by these recent moves. And no, my PS3 is NOT modded.

Edited by Lance_87

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but does this mean we can no longer directly copy applications from the PS3 to the PS Vita? I recall 2 step verification was a hindrance to achieving that. There are some games that can't be downloaded to the Vita except through PS3 transfer. I've been trying to copy Silent Hill: Origins from my PS3 to my Vita and only get error codes. I can't seem to copy it to my PSP, either. Not sure if I'm forgetting something... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, luketheduke12 said:

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but does this mean we can no longer directly copy applications from the PS3 to the PS Vita? I recall 2 step verification was a hindrance to achieving that. There are some games that can't be downloaded to the Vita except through PS3 transfer. I've been trying to copy Silent Hill: Origins from my PS3 to my Vita and only get error codes. I can't seem to copy it to my PSP, either. Not sure if I'm forgetting something... 

Two-Step Verification isn’t needed to generate password for each PS3 or Vita device.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

Two-Step Verification isn’t needed to generate password for each PS3 or Vita device.

Okay, my 2 step verification is still disabled. I'm not sure what my problem is, then. I get the error code E-80558309, which I recall seeing when I had 2 step verification enabled in the past.

I'm also having download list errors. PSP downloads weren't working, then suddenly they were. Right now Vita downloads aren't working for me (NP-9948-0). Is anyone else having issues? Can anyone else transfer applications from PS3 to PSP and PS Vita? Maybe things will resolve themselves soon...

I just updated. What a pain in the god damn ass.

I did what the link suggested... but... am I seriously going to have to do this every single time I want to sign in or turn on my PS3? Because it's not updating my Symphonia 2 trophies unless I actually manually update them on my PS3 first.

I don't trust what the link said. You have to do this every single time you want to sign into or turn on your PS3... don't you...?

11 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I just updated. What a pain in the god damn ass.

I did what the link suggested... but... am I seriously going to have to do this every single time I want to sign in or turn on my PS3? Because it's not updating my Symphonia 2 trophies unless I actually manually update them on my PS3 first.

I don't trust what the link said. You have to do this every single time you want to sign into or turn on your PS3... don't you...?

If you set it to save your password and auto-login, you don't have to. That's what I've been doing for the past few years since setting up 2FA.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tweronion said:

So, I have a question:
I recently got a PS3 Super Slim and I will update it in a couple of days.
I'll be able to put my PSN account on it? Just need to put the secure code from my smartphone?

Yeah, no problem.

• Like 1

I'm more surprised by the amount of people that don't already have 2 step activated, i mean do you not care about your account? 

As for the device password this has been a thing since the mass console bans thing nearly a year ago, i wasn't able to sign into any account on any PS3 without one. 

16 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

I'm more surprised by the amount of people that don't already have 2 step activated, i mean do you not care about your account? 

As for the device password this has been a thing since the mass console bans thing nearly a year ago, i wasn't able to sign into any account on any PS3 without one. 

I occasionally activated/deactivated it, because i was too lazy to use the authenticator codes when moving between accounts (due to OCD i've collected every single free game/app/theme/avatar from Europe, USA and Japan and i'm still doing it lol)

That said, i already have multiple layers of protection, including a robust password, the PIN, my phone number, my real date of birth and the secret question/answer.

Edited by Lance_87

Hi,

1. The acc managment page says that after using the device password, you can use your regular account password on the legacy systems, but it seems that's not true. I logged out, and the system asks for the device password everytime.

2. After i used the device password, it still appears as unused. Is it the same for you?

T8EWgFJ.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LaloLanda78 said:

Hi,

1. The acc managment page says that after using the device password, you can use your regular account password on the legacy systems, but it seems that's not true. I logged out, and the system asks for the device password everytime.

2. After i used the device password, it still appears as unused. Is it the same for you?

1. I contacted Sony support to ask/complain about this, and they confirmed that you have to use the device password from now on for ps3/vita/pstv 

2. My device passwords show as unused also.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LaloLanda78 said:

Hi,

I didn't pay attention to that detail on the page, since I always kept the generated password on my PS3 and Vita, made it remember it and auto log-in, and it logged in as normal. This might be an overlook by Sony, so I keep these generated passwords until proven otherwise.

I noticed this "unused" detail as well, as it always showed the date when a generated password was used before.

25 minutes ago, tom_waits said:

1. I contacted Sony support to ask/complain about this, and they confirmed that you have to use the device password from now on for ps3/vita/pstv 

2. My device passwords show as unused also.

It has always been prior to today's update, you need to keep the generated password for the device, or else generate a new one if you forget it.

18 minutes ago, ASILENTENIGMA said:

I got the new device password and entered it for my main account on my main ps3.  Is that the same password that I will enter on my Vita now?  How do I get my main account logged in on my second ps3 now?

No. You need to generate a different password for each device you log in with your account. So for your second PS3, you need to generate a different device password from your first PS3 to log in your account.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 2

I finished updating all my devices. My vita only has my main account. For the accounts on the two PS3s, once the new passwords were generated, I took pictures of them with the cell phone and entered them on the PS3s with the “save password” box checked. I tested them and everything works as it should. I hope the PS4 and PS5 will stay the same for a while.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ars said:

you're asking if any modern updated machine is more secure than a 16 year-old machine with an operating system, which reached end of long term service in 2011 at latest?

yes it is.

thats not always true. snowden said the most updated iphone is more likely to be hacked then using a 10+ year old phone. because when they run programs they go for the most popular used system. so snowden would often use flip phones and toss them if needed. because they wont bother running programs to hack things less people are using.

anyways

i dont know if this will help anyone but im getting bombarded with questions on youtube so heres the basic list of what to do

1. update software
2. youll notice you cant sign in
3. it will give you a scan code and link
4. enter the link in your pc to log into sonys website
5. the link is www.playstation.com/acct/device-password
6. click the top that says "generate new password"
7. a new screen appears with your new ps3 console password
8. type in that password from your pc, into your ps3 console
9. make sure to checkmark save password on your console, this id is your new password, you wont b using your original password on the ps3 console anymore
10. the pw is case sensitive, if the letters are UPPER CASE, enter them as capital or non.
11. click done on your pc webpage
12. IF YOU HAVE MORE THEN ONE CONSOLE, YOU NEED A NEW ID FOR THE NEXT CONSOLE, EVEN THOUGH ITS THE SAME SCREEN NAME!
13. for 2nd console, repeat process, click generate new password. this will be your password for your second console.
14. if you want a new password, click revoke and that will remove the password so you can auto generate a new one (this will prob only be needed if your console gets stolen or something)
15. if your making a new account, i dont know. this is for previous account users
16. i dont know how this works for hen ps3, or hacked ps3 when i say device id, im referring to the auto generated password the pc webpage gave you.

Edited by melodicmizery