PS3 (4.89) & Vita (3.74) Require Device Password & Remove Account Creation on System

Maxie_M0us3

10 hours ago, kevao97 said:

now i understand better. maybe it's a problem on Sony's part. damn, forgetting passwords sucks, i have 3-4 passwords memorized for years.

try contacting support via chat if you can't recover. ?

Luckily I was able to find my password, and set up both my PS3's with my main account. I do have 1 secondary account which seems like it may be out of luck. I have the email, but I just can't get the password change notices. Pretty frustrating. I may still contact support but I just don't get why this is happening to both my accounts. Sorry to vent. 

4 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Luckily I was able to find my password, and set up both my PS3's with my main account. I do have 1 secondary account which seems like it may be out of luck. I have the email, but I just can't get the password change notices. Pretty frustrating. I may still contact support but I just don't get why this is happening to both my accounts. Sorry to vent. 

if you've recovered one, it's a matter of time to recover the other, don't worry. surely masses of people are in the same process and overcrowding the support and response service, but it's only a matter of time ?

I did my 2 password thing for my PS3 and Vita, so that's out of the way.

I also took a look at the Account Management section of the XMB, it looks like they removed the button that shows your PS Plus time remaining. I used to check that all the time to know when my sub was about to expire, and now it's gone. :( 

Probably removed due to the new tier system I bet.

2 hours ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

I did my 2 password thing for my PS3 and Vita, so that's out of the way.

I also took a look at the Account Management section of the XMB, it looks like they removed the button that shows your PS Plus time remaining. I used to check that all the time to know when my sub was about to expire, and now it's gone. :( 

Probably removed due to the new tier system I bet.

It still shows on mine, no problem here. Just go to account management > transaction management > Services List. Look for PS Plus and then click on your current subscription to check when it ends. Or an easier way is just by going to any PS Plus game, press triangle > information > scroll down to check how much time you have left on it.

Edited by Otonio_Bruno
typo

It is kinda funny to see how many people are seemingly enraged by that update, even though this has obvious security benefits, especially for those who run around and share their accounts (even though it is a bannable offense).

So, just to reiterate why this is a good thing for those people:

Assuming that you run around and share your account wildly with people on the internet (bad idea btw), until now you had to give away your account details which gave the other party unlimited access to your account, making it very easy for them to just go into the security settings on the website, and update your email and password. Congratulations, your account no longer is yours, and chances are that they will be putting those saved payment options of yours to good use. With this update, all you share is a device specific password which allows them to access your game library without gaining access to the security settings which are used to change your email and password.

Makes me kinda wonder if those people crying about that update the loudest have a financial interest in getting sent the actual account password instead of a device password.

Edited by Dekaku
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Dekaku said:

It is kinda funny to see how many people are seemingly enraged by that update, even though this has obvious security benefits, especially for those who run around and share their accounts (even though it is a bannable offense).

Assuming that you run around and share your account wildly with people on the internet (bad idea btw), until now you had to give away your account details which gave the other party unlimited access to your account, making it very easy for them to just go into the security settings on the website, and update your email and password. Congratulations, your account no longer is yours, and chances are that they will be putting those saved payment options of yours to good use. With this update, all you share is a device specific password which allows them to access your game library without gaining access to the security settings which are used to change your email and password.

Makes me kinda wonder if those people crying about that update the loudest have a financial interest in getting sent the actual account password instead of a device password.

If you use PayPal to pay stuff from PS4/PS5/webstore it's not a big deal, you'll always be requested other security stuff from that site.

Also you can always recover your account with your legit date of birth which cannot be changed after creating the account. Also keeping old transactions emails helps a lot.

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

If you use PayPal to pay stuff from PS4/PS5/webstore it's not a big deal, you'll always be requested other security stuff from that site.

Also you can always recover your account with your legit date of birth which cannot be changed after creating the account. Also keeping old transactions emails helps a lot.

From what you wrote, I assume that it is different for people who linked their credit card? Which is probably the most common way for people in the US to pay for stuff online?

Going by the Date of Birth logic, it only works as long as the people who share their accounts don't share their personal information online (there are people online who will put their year of birth or even their whole Date of Birth in their nickname). Which, surprise surprise, most of the social aspects of the internet are trying to make you do. The problem is, after the email has changed, you can easily create new transaction emails by buying stuff, at which point it would be best to just ban the account altogether, because you can't be sure that any of the two parties have .

Your points are valid on paper, however they only work as long as people aren't a lazy bunch and / or in any way shape or form social. People are doxxing themself on the daily, posting on facebook that they are out of town for 2 weeks due to a vacation, which is basically an invitation to have someone break into your home.

2 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Even with 2FA set up with paypal, it never requests a security code login to authorize the payment on psn, it just goes through normally. So it's still a security problem if you aren't using 2FA on PSN as well

4 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Even with 2FA set up with paypal, it never requests a security code login to authorize the payment on psn, it just goes through normally. So it's still a security problem if you aren't using 2FA on PSN as well

You never truly stay logged in on PayPal with 2FA activated. You are always logged out after the end of a session, even if you save the browser you're currently using. At least that's what happens to me. And i'm not using some outdated browser, it's always the latest version of Chrome on both PC and mobile.

Edited by Lance_87

12 hours ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

It still shows on mine, no problem here. Just go to account management > transaction management > Services List. Look for PS Plus and then click on your current subscription to check when it ends. Or an easier way is just by going to any PS Plus game, press triangle > information > scroll down to check how much time you have left on it.

I had gone there originally, but there were over 600 items in that list! While I did do a quick scroll through that list, I didn't see it at first glance, maybe I missed it.

I'm gonna try that second method of going into a PS Plus game and doing that. Didn't know that was a thing, thank you!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

You never truly stay logged in on PayPal with 2FA activated. You are always logged out after the end of a session, even if you save the browser you're currently using. At least that's what happens to me. And i'm not using some outdated browser, it's always the latest version of Chrome on both PC and mobile.

To have PayPal linked to your PSN account, you need to set up an agreement with them to allow pre-authorised payments, which bypasses the need to log in/enter your password.

18 minutes ago, MercilessWaffle said:

To have PayPal linked to your PSN account, you need to set up an agreement with them to allow pre-authorised payments, which bypasses the need to log in/enter your password.

That's weird, i remember to have always authorised payments myself. But that was more than a year ago. Now i just buy discounted pre-paid cards from sites.

18 hours ago, Dekaku said:

12 hours ago, Dekaku said:

From what you wrote, I assume that it is different for people who linked their credit card? Which is probably the most common way for people in the US to pay for stuff online?

Going by the Date of Birth logic, it only works as long as the people who share their accounts don't share their personal information online (there are people online who will put their year of birth or even their whole Date of Birth in their nickname). Which, surprise surprise, most of the social aspects of the internet are trying to make you do. The problem is, after the email has changed, you can easily create new transaction emails by buying stuff, at which point it would be best to just ban the account altogether, because you can't be sure that any of the two parties have .

Your points are valid on paper, however they only work as long as people aren't a lazy bunch and / or in any way shape or form social. People are doxxing themself on the daily, posting on facebook that they are out of town for 2 weeks due to a vacation, which is basically an invitation to have someone break into your home.

The reason some of us were mad is because the PS3 and Vita are dying systems. They are old consoles. Sony corporate couldn’t give a damn less about their old stuff. 

Since the announcement of the PS3/Vita stores closing which turned out false, I have been on pins and needles on any change made to these older systems. 

The security stuff back in 2006 and 2012 respectively isn’t valid anymore. The world has moved on, technology has advanced to the point where we need to protect our personal information from the outside. 

I was upset when Sony disabled PS3/Vita payments via credit card, then I realized it was more than likely for the better. 

These are old systems as I said already, and for a long time they were much less secure than the PS4 or PS5.

6 minutes ago, TWOLF2016 said:

How do you make it only be once - i am being forced to enter a new password everytime I log in

you got check the box on the ps3 that says save PW right under the place where you log in

• Like 1

So I’m having a bit of a problem. I used my cellphone to get the 2 step verification, and with it, I was able to generate a new device password, whenever I try typing said new password on the ps3, it’s like the keyboard is invisible, and I can’t possibly type the password and second guess how the cursor moves, any solution to this?

Edit: solved, just did a complete system reboot, no idea why the keyboard was invisible, this whole ordeal is baffling…

Edited by Ypsiruonu

they just want any excuse to force people from using these old platforms, so when the time has come and million of people have stop using their ps3 and Vitas they'll proudly gonna announce that they're shutting down the stores and PSN services on these hardware for good due to people not using them anymore, then they'll do a Nintendo by advertising that the Playstation Plus Premium will offer you an access to a wide range of older playstation games.

6 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

I don't understand how they're "forcing people from using old platforms" if all you need to do is to change a password.

Just imagine that one day your toilet is appeared to be locked and you have to get another key for it beside the key from your apartment you already had. And they said that "it was done for your safety" while you never asked for this. What they gonna lock next time "for your safety"? Your wallet?

5 minutes ago, Raniel-Atero said:

Just imagine that one day your toilet is appeared to be locked and you have to get another key for it beside the key from your apartment you already had. And they said that "it was done for your safety" while you never asked for this. What they gonna lock next time "for your safety"? Your wallet?

Except you would have already been told to use the new key you had to actively set up yourself. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Raniel-Atero said:

A more apt analogy would be to imagine there are many ways for thieves to acquire a copy of your front door key (often without your involvement or knowledge). So to keep your home secure, your landlord suggests adding an additional lock that cannot be so easily copied.

• Like 2

I don't get why people are so upset with 2FA now being mandatory.
Sony introduced 2FA back in 2016. By then, it was already common knowledge that 2FA was highly encouraged for any account you want protected whether that is your email or Amazon or whatever. Everyone had almost 6 years to turn it on and set it up.
I'm actually somewhat shocked at the number of people here that didn't already have it turned on. I expected trophy hunters who spend so much time and money building up their trophy collection to be some of the first to protect their account.

The fact that Sony bothered doing this in an update at least shows they're going to support PS3/Vita for the near future.

Edited by Seraphim_Rez
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Seraphim_Rez said:

I don't get why people are so upset with 2FA now being mandatory.
Sony introduced 2FA back in 2016. By then, it was already common knowledge that 2FA was highly encouraged for any account you want protected whether that is your email or Amazon or whatever. Everyone had almost 6 years to turn it on and set it up.
I'm actually somewhat shocked at the number of people here that didn't already have it turned on. I expected trophy hunters who spend so much time and money building up their trophy collection to be some of the first to protect their account.

The fact that Sony bothered doing this in an update at least shows they're going to support PS3/Vita for the near future.

2FA still isn't mandatory, but I can understand people's confusion with the way things have been presented by Sony and in this thread. 

People can still choose not to opt in to 2 Factor Authentication on their accounts, even with this update. The only change this firmware introduced was separating peoples account passwords from their device passwords for PS3 and Vita. This forces people to log into their own accounts just one time, using their regular account password, then creating a unique password from their own account one time, that they will input from now on (or just click the little save password box) as the password for one of their designated consoles. No 2FA needed. It's much more secure and essentially prolongs the longevity of these devices by enforcing at least some security that was lacking.

• Like 1