Gaming for the Animals [EVENT HAS CONCLUDED]

Just now, Beyondthegrave07 said:

For clarification, I'm assuming you can't just wait 90 minutes to pop the final trophy of an EZPZ game? The fastest time recorded on the site has to be over 90 mins? Not planning on playing any short games, but thought I'd ask just in case. ;)

Also, just realized that I could also maybe squeeze in Spiderman Miles Morales too for the event... 

Exactly this, yeah. I'll know if you're trying to pull some wool over my eyes ?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'm assuming you can't just wait 90 minutes to pop the final trophy of an EZPZ game? The fastest time recorded on the site has to be over 90 mins?

RIP anyone who actually reads their visual novels. There's several glaring issues with this one rule, but OP can organize their event however they like.

Edited by Helyx

4 minutes ago, Helyx said:

RIP anyone who actually reads their visual novels. There's several glaring issues with this one rule, but OP can organize their event however they like.

I read my visual novels as well, just an excuse to play something a little different! :)

• Like 1

What a nice event, you can add me ?.

I will probably only contribute one game, but it's the most fitting one, for sure. In Okami, you play as a wolf, you learn powers from gods that also take form of different animals, you have quests that involve talking dogs, and you feed all kind of fauna during your journey. (If you like animals, I very much recommend this game).

I'm also still pretty far from earning the platinum, and I'm sure I won't be done with this game until the start of the event. Everything just comes together. So I'm happy to participate.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Slava said:

What a nice event, you can add me 1f60a.png.

I will probably only contribute one game, but it's the most fitting one, for sure. In Okami, you play as a wolf, you learn powers from gods that also take form of different animals, you have quests that involve talking dogs, and you feed all kind of fauna during your journey. (If you like animals, I very much recommend this game).

I'm also still pretty far from earning the platinum, and I'm sure I won't be done with this game until the start of the event. Everything just comes together. So I'm happy to participate.

Ah Okami... I've had that in my backlog for so long, yet I've never touched it. I always heard about how long it was and I guess it just scared me away. It'll be cool to see it completed for this event :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MissShake said:

Ah Okami... I've had that in my backlog for so long, yet I've never touched it. I always heard about how long it was and I guess it just scared me away. It'll be cool to see it completed for this event :D

Yeah, it is pretty long. Especially if you're going for 100% completion. It almost feels like an RPG. The guide says 60 hours, and I can see that. I'm nearing 30, and there's still a lot to do and explore.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

What an awesome idea! I love Animals count me in....

.....I'm guessing we don't have to vote for the same animal for each platinum we potentially get right?

• Like 1

Do animals count if they're enemies found within a game, or do they need to be part of the general storyline?

Example: Fallout games have scorpions that just exist in the world and you can choose to engage or not. Have no story bearing. 

Guess it's a question of how engaging does the animal have to be for it to be considered a non background animal. 

Edited by VigilantCrow

9 hours ago, MissShake said:

You can also play games based on fictional animals ;)

I haven't really thought about stacks of games in general. I think if you don't autopop them there isn't a problem with it though! Like PS4 to PS5 autopops won't be allowed, but if you wanna play the same game a couple times through I don't really see an issue with that.

…So fantasy counts too now? I guess so haha, sounds great. Thanks for confirming.

3 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

.....I'm guessing we don't have to vote for the same animal for each platinum we potentially get right?

You do not! I'm probably gonna switch up my votes every time :D

40 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

Do fictional or mythical animals count? 

Sure do! Can't have an event about animals and not allow for, say, Spyro :)

31 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Do animals count if they're enemies found within a game, or do they need to be part of the general storyline?

Example: Fallout games have scorpions that just exist in the world and you can choose to engage or not. Have no story bearing. 

Guess it's a question of how engaging does the animal have to be for it to be considered a non background animal.

I think if you encounter these scorpions a fair bit then they can count, but tbh I'm starting to consider a point system for this event. The more important the animal is to the game the more points it'll be worth, therefore the more votes you'll get. Maybe that will encourage people to pick something up that's a little more focused on the animal itself ?

24 minutes ago, TurningRedEye said:

…So fantasy counts too now? I guess so haha, sounds great. Thanks for confirming.

It always did! I had Spyro as an example for a reason ;)

I'm getting ready to add everyone new to the event now, I just woke up! Good morning, guys :D

• Like 3

@MissShake A few questions if it's okay to ask.

1. Does a game like Bugsnax count? While they are a mix between Animal and Snacks I am unsure if you would count that.

2. Could I include Darksiders 2 by chance? I am playing it on and off and you do in fact use your Horse quite a bit and you have a Crow with you at all times.(Support character I suppose?)

5 minutes ago, Sylvanticore said:

1. Does a game like Bugsnax count? While they are a mix between Animal and Snacks I am unsure if you would count that.

2. Could I include Darksiders 2 by chance? I am playing it on and off and you do in fact use your Horse quite a bit and you have a Crow with you at all times.(Support character I suppose?)

1. That should be fine. If Spyro can count I don't see why other "fake" animals like the ones in Bugsnax can't!

2. I'd count these too!

• Like 1

i love this so much! Count me in :)

PS- I highly recommend checking out Sheldrick Wildlife Trust for adopting orphaned elephants. They do a lot of great work. I've adopted from them before and even did a charity stream event last year for them as well. They provide veterinary services to endangered animals, go on snare patrols and help rehabilitate the orphans to eventually get them back out in the wild 

Edited by Beth Medusa
  • Like 4

Hi guys! Time for today's animal spotlight. Let's talk about the harpy eagle!

https://i.imgur.com/KmG8JoG.png

As someone who has seen a harpy eagle spread their wings in person, I can tell you that the harpy eagle is one of the most majestic things I have ever seen. I can't tell you how big the wingspan of the eagle I saw was, but I can tell you that the harpy eagle can stretch up to two meters. For those of us in America, that's a whole six and a half feet long! Needless to say some of you might be shorter than this eagle's wingspan.

The harpy eagle can be found from Argentina all the way up to the southern parts of Mexico, but due to deforestation and hunting their numbers are dwindling. It has been difficult to find a consistent estimate, but one study suggested there to be less than fifty thousand. The highest number I have seen estimated was between one hundred to two and a half thousand. Compared to the previously mentioned vaquita, this may not seem to be very bad, but the IUCN lists their numbers as decreasing and their status is considered vulnerable. This is a step above endangered, so the risk is definitely there for our dear harpy eagles!

For more info you can visit the San Diego Zoo website and The Peregrine Fund.

A couple of interesting articles:

The heroic effort in the Amazon to save the harpy eagle from deforestation (National Geographic)

Dying of curiosity: Why people shoot harpy eagles (Mongabay)

2 hours ago, reaperveteran86 said:

This sounds like a fun idea. Please sign me up. But I have one question. Count a game like Assassin`s Creed or Hunting Simulator,  where you can hunt  animals (that aren`t enemies) or is this to much against the nature of this event?

I was planning on allowing animals as enemies, but I'm currently rethinking the way this is laid out. We might need to go with a point system so that we don't stray too far from the point of the event...

Edited by MissShake
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, MissShake said:

I was planning on allowing animals as enemies, but I'm currently rethinking the way this is laid out. We might need to go with a point system so that we don't stray too far from the point of the event...

In my experience, a point system can quickly make an event more complicated than it needs to be. To keep with the spirit of the event, I think excluding games that only feature animals as enemies or set dressing would make sense.

• Like 1