possible Platinum trophies cap on psn

(please, let's just treat this as a rumor and not fact, and then discuss this possibility)

I'm seeing a buzz on some other forums (I won't mention it) about a supposed limit of platinum trophies on psn, just like the level 100 cap was. Apparently, some modders would have reached that number and it's not possible to go over 8000 platinum trophies, that being the limit. What do you think about it? If this is true, psn will be broken very soon as there are people with more than 5k legit plats.

I just think it would be hilarious if that happened and it was never fixed, and then those profiles were never updated accordingly. they would collapse and the trophy hunt would become useless just like this pile of crap they pay for. Lol

47 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

I'm seeing a buzz on some other forums (I won't mention it) about a supposed limit of platinum trophies on psn, just like the level 100 cap was. Apparently, some modders would have reached that number and it's not possible to go over 8000 platinum trophies, that being the limit. What do you think about it? If this is true, psn will be broken very soon as there are people with more than 5k legit plats.

Well without any evidence to what other forum you are talking about. I just had a google search and found nothing.

8,000 seems like a completely arbitrary number that some dumbass engineer would have to propose and then hardcore somehow. Being that these are Sony engineers, I believe it. 

The question I have is where would this limitation happen? 

Does the database start rejecting new data when a profile it’s 8,000 platinums? Not a chance.
Does the api maybe limit the returns to 8,000 or less… possibly.

Is the UI the place where the limitation exists… unlikely as that would require more work and we know the Sony UI engineers only put in slightly less than minimal effort. 

There is no practical programming reason for the limit to be 8,000. I’m thinking that if it were any kind of concern, it would be changed when that concern came up.

So no, I don’t think it’s a real limitation, even if it is rumored to look like one right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, enaysoft said:

Well without any evidence to what other forum you are talking about. I just had a google search and found nothing.

yeah, i just made it all up because i'm so needy.

It is not recommended to share content from illegal sites that involves modding and cfw around here, this is made clear. just go to these forums and you will see.

Funny, when i read 8000 i immediately had to think of gta online because the level cap is 8000 there too. I don't know why exactly this number, but before that the limit was 1000 and was raised after a short time. So far only modders have reached the highest rank.

I'm curious who will be the first to reach the platinum limit and whether this time the statistics will be continued on psn and psnprofiles if someone earns more platinums.

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

8,000 seems like a completely arbitrary number that some dumbass engineer would have to propose and then hardcore somehow. Being that these are Sony engineers, I believe it. 

The question I have is where would this limitation happen? 

Does the database start rejecting new data when a profile it’s 8,000 platinums? Not a chance.
Does the api maybe limit the returns to 8,000 or less… possibly.

Is the UI the place where the limitation exists… unlikely as that would require more work and we know the Sony UI engineers only put in slightly less than minimal effort. 

There is no practical programming reason for the limit to be 8,000. I’m thinking that if it were any kind of concern, it would be changed when that concern came up.

So no, I don’t think it’s a real limitation, even if it is rumored to look like one right now. 

This is coming from a guy though that admits to using illegal sites though, so maybe best to take everything with a pinch salt since hacking has been involved.

I doubt it's related to anything server based, if true, I'd wager it's actually a "trophy list creation" issue instead.

Right now it's impossible to delete trophy data so that image and file data just accumulates, gets bigger and bigger.

This isn't an issue for most users.

On Vita though that storage is especially limited and so using the internal memory card, the system only allows 100 trophy lists to be stored on it, regardless of whether you have 100 Platinums, or one hundred, 100% lists. The number is just an arbitrary number of 100, not 64 or 128 or some other particular number you'd associate with number limitations, just a simple and easily remember-able 100.

Perhaps there's one for Playstation consoles as well, and right now and it's just randomly set at 8000 and nobody was ever supposed to discover it. On this site 5300 platinums is the highest official total so far, 8000 is still quite a few years off, which I guess if indeed is a true flaw, Sony will do something about it sometime in the future..

Hackers might have just discovered this flaw early.

God knows.

Maybe it does work over 8000, but there's a check on Sony's end right now, that sees an account with 8000 platinums and refuses the connection, because you know, that's a number that isn't realistically possible in 2022.

We can only speculate though.

7 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

This is coming from a guy though that admits to using illegal sites though, so maybe best to take everything with a pinch salt since hacking has been involved.

Lol. I felt a little suspicious on your part.

Unfortunately it is not possible to talk about everything openly on this site, but as I am curious and obsessed with information, I like to read about everything and more, so yes I do "use illegal sites". This is a topic being debated by some guys, and I thought it was interesting to share, but maybe it was a mistake to share this in a place full of people who always think the worst of others.

32 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Lol. I felt a little suspicious on your part.

Unfortunately it is not possible to talk about everything openly on this site, but as I am curious and obsessed with information, I like to read about everything and more, so yes I do "use illegal sites". This is a topic being debated by some guys, and I thought it was interesting to share, but maybe it was a mistake to share this in a place full of people who always think the worst of others.

Haha. No but like what I mean is, if you're using a product not how it was intended to be used, that can lead to obvious doubts.

Like if you phoned up Dyson technical support because your vacuum cleaner stopped working.

And you said "Yeah, ok so I installed a mod in there to make the engine suck harder so it would clean up dust better than ever, it worked a treat! But after a week, it suddenly won't switch on at all, can you help?"

This trophy issue information is coming from nefarious methods so like, difficult to know whether the issue is self inflicted. I'm not just going to outright shit on Sony engineers for no reason and without evidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth about an arbitrary limit imposed, that has been discovered recently by accident.

Edited by enaysoft

7 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Haha. No but like what I mean is, if you're using a product not how it was intended to be used, that can lead to obvious doubts.

Like if you phoned up Dyson technical support because your vacuum cleaner stopped working.

And you said "Yeah, ok so I installed a mod in there to make the engine suck harder so it would clean up dust better than ever, it worked a treat! But after a week, it suddenly won't switch on at all, can you help?"

This trophy issue information is coming from nefarious methods so like, difficult to know whether the issue is self inflicted. I'm not just going to outright shit on Sony engineers for no reason and without evidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth about an arbitrary limit imposed, that has been discovered recently by accident.

I get it. But it's a big leap between you assuming I use or do something wrong and just being interested in information and reading stuff and being in the know. Anyway

Not buying it, why the hell would they cap platinums at 8000 but not have similar caps on bronze, silver and gold trophies. I can see there being some absurdly high cap of say 999,999 for each type of trophy but If there was one that low somebody would have already hit the bronze or silver cap by now as a good chunk of us are well past the 8000 bronze trophies. Capping platinums at 8000 is just stupid design as even if our resident thousand platunaires ever hit such a cap it would jeapordize sales of ratalaika and breakthrough arcade and jumping copypaste games.

19 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

I get it. But it's a big leap between you assuming I use or do something wrong and just being interested in information and reading stuff and being in the know. Anyway

Actually, I never actually accused you of doing such a thing though. It's you going on the defensive all by yourself. :)

I just pointed that you're using unreliable sources, and sources which we haven't even seen. You could just be trolling us. (Not that I am saying that you are, although isn't that some sort of blacked out trolling meme you're using? lol I think I have seen that before, somewhere)

22 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

That number wouldn't affect me in 10 lifetimes.

Yeah, seriously, I don't know why people are panicking about this. The only person in the world who has over 1200 platinums is Hakoom and that's because he's platinumed so many cashgrub games the devs of those games are paying HIM money. xD

Trust me, even this current account only have 320 platinums and that's not even half the old limit. The chance that anyone will ever hit the cap of 8000 in their lifetime will be a whelk's chance in a supernova so just enjoy your games and don't worry too much if you pop a plat or two. :P

11 minutes ago, winter_bird_22 said:

Yeah, seriously, I don't know why people are panicking about this. The only person in the world who has over 1200 platinums is Hakoom and that's because he's platinumed so many cashgrub games the devs of those games are paying HIM money. xD

Trust me, even this current account only have 320 platinums and that's not even half the old limit. The chance that anyone will ever hit the cap of 8000 in their lifetime will be a whelk's chance in a supernova so just enjoy your games and don't worry too much if you pop a plat or two. :P

What are you talking about? Hakoom has over 4000 plats and the current leader on this site has over 5000. It’s probably going to be about 3 yrs until someone here hits 8000, but you’ve clearly been asleep for a few years if you think 8k is anywhere near unattainable 

• Like 1