Rumour: Horizon Zero Dawn remaster is in the works for PS5

The Alchemist

Article  

"Sources claim an update of the 2017 game is in development, along with a multiplayer spin-off. That’s according to a report by MP1ST, which VGC can corroborate via our own sources.

"The updated version of the 2017 Guerrilla Games title will feature improved visuals to bring it up to par with this year’s sequel, Horizon Forbidden West, in the form of new character models, lighting and animations, it’s claimed.

"In addition, it’s claimed the new version of Zero Dawn will add accessibility features, graphics modes and quality of life improvements to the gameplay itself.

"In addition, the MP1ST report claims that Guerilla Games is currently working on a Horizon multiplayer game for PS5 and PC, which matches what VGC reported last year.

"VGC understands that the studio has long intended to expand the Horizon series into the multiplayer space. Sources had previously told us that co-op was first planned for the original Horizon game but was ultimately scrapped so the development team could focus on other areas of the title.

"Zero Dawn concept art that leaked online in 2014 – verified by VGC – even shows initial plans to have multiple players battle the game’s huge mechanical beasts, in a scenario similar to Capcom‘s Monster Hunter games.

"Sources said that Sony had been keen to include co-op in the game’s sequel, Forbidden West, but Guerrilla decided to save the feature for a future project, which they believed would either be a standalone online spin-off, or Horizon 3."

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true given the frequency at which Sony releases remasters/remakes. With a Horizon TV series also, well, on the horizon, I can definitely see them doing this as a way to garner fresh interest in the property closer to that show launching, but that's only speculation on my part.

If you weren't a fan of this remaster/remake trend beforehand, then you won't be happy with this news, but keep in mind that you don't need to buy it! It won't stop other projects from being worked on and released. For people who are yet to play the game or perhaps want to revisit it, I'm sure this (if true) will be the best way to do so. 

• Like 4

If this is true and a remaster of HZD is coming... I wanna laugh, but it's kinda sad. Really? 5 year old game that I can just pop in my PS5 and play without issues, remastered? Seriously? 

I'll care about improved visuals when the original visuals will seem old the way 20 years old (at least) games seem visually outdated now. 

I have a feeling that this will become another game I once loved, but can't stand anymore because of all the milking. 

Edited by the1andonly654
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

I think a Horizon Zero Dawn remaster bringing it in line with the beauty of Forbidden West is a rad idea

But again, that's kind of the problem. They may have further improved the performance mode since I played it, but Forbidden West in many aspects looked worse than Horizon Zero Dawn in performance mode, e.g. massive resolution drops during cutscenes and constant flickering on foliage. If the 'remaster' simply allows the game to run at a native 4k and 60fps, fine, but one could very well argue that HZD does not need the ~beauty~ of Forbidden West.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Darling Baphomet said:

But again, that's kind of the problem. They may have further improved the performance mode since I played it, but Forbidden West in many aspects looked worse than Horizon Zero Dawn in performance mode, e.g. massive resolution drops during cutscenes and constant flickering on foliage. If the 'remaster' simply allows the game to run at a native 4k and 60fps, fine, but one could very well argue that HZD does not need the ~beauty~ of Forbidden West.

Pretty sure sure those were visual bugs that have since been patched

• Like 1

Well going down the list of stuff that's being made into movies and TV, Ghost of Tsushima already has a PS5 version, God of War has a sequel coming, Twisted Metal is very much unknown what it's game is going to be and then you have Gravity Rush.

Everything else has a PS5 version and with this Horizon announcement this brings it to be in line with everything else. I really can't view this as a bad thing if it's supposed to give a second life to a franchise. Was not the common complaint that Horizon got snubbed both times by other releases?

Edited by Sendai-Horatio