Rumour: Horizon Zero Dawn remaster is in the works for PS5

The Alchemist

15 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I’m the same. 

Why not remake Resistance: Fall of Man and Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction? Oh that’s right, those are old games from 2006 - 2007 that get little if any attention from gamers anymore. 

All those old PS1/PS2 greats from generations past? Too risky. Too much backfire if the projects fail. 

Remaking The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn is far more profitable because we know they’re still relevant to modern gaming. They still generate popularity, so why not make “moar money”?

Meanwhile Ubisoft drags their feet with the Prince of Persia remake, which may as well be Assassin’s Creed Mirage because nobody gives a damn about Prince of Persia anymore. 

No new Rayman game. Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, let’s change how Sam Fisher is being handled. 

Naughty Dog on Twitter, “We can’t come up with any original ideas anymore. But we’ve remade an all time classic from a decade ago, complete with a new layer of paint, all for the low, low price of $70, for the PS5”. 

Guerrilla Games on Twitter, “We’re sorry we had to shut down the online on your favorite Killzone games. But you can look forward to a remake of our favorite game, Horizon Zero Dawn, coming soon for the price of $70. Get your preorders in and get ready to jump back in with Aloy!”. 

Sony, you’re losing my respect quicker than my hourglass runs out of sand.

Here‘s a little game development tidbit:

Remakes and (unnecessary) multiplayer spinoffs happen because developing a sequel / follow up / new features / new IP is done on placeholders and most common placeholders are previous recent games.

Whatever new the developers are implementing, they are testing it out on their previous assets and systems.

If there’s a sequel in the works it means a remaking of old assets as well, to bring them up to standard.

During this time, many departments (sound mixing, testing, graphics / programming, depending on the phase) have some down time - they might as well do something productive that’s in line with what’s already being worked on. They will not start a brand new project while the design team is mapping out the new IP / sequel, but they have time to pull together a remake, building on the work on previous games and the work on the next game. The next game likely is in production and it takes a massive amount of time, considering their quality nowadays.

It makes some sense from a production pipeline standpoint, and they can generate revenue / drive attention to the game’s other stuff (TV/film spinoffs, sequel) - also, new gamers who skipped previous gen and are not keen buying 5 year old stuff (boy, believe me, we’re not the majority!).

Games take a long time to develop, and a 5 year old gap in a studio portfolio isn’t exactly optimal. Hence, remakes, remasters and Resident Evil Resistance.

(Where I work, we also did two intermission projects between major releases.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Remaster games stuck on the PS2 & PS3?

Like seriously. Where's Arkham Origins, God of War series, Prince of Persia series, Black Ops 1, Sly Cooper series, or the Portal series? Why do none of these games get remastered?

1 minute ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

Like seriously. Where's Arkham Origins, God of War series, Prince of Persia series, Black Ops 1, Sly Cooper series, or the Portal series? Why do none of these games get remastered?

Because current development costs likely won’t be covered by the revenue from them. Salaries are higher, new projects are more demanding. Maybe, just maybe, Sony will use Plus revenue to fund such projects, but at this point they will be vanity projects. Sony looked at the sales of PS3 remasters and saw that “nah, not enough people care”. That’s the sad reality.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kanzenchaos said:

I'll pass, saving up for the inevitable God of War: Ragnarok remake.

That's true and I agree. I mean yeah sure Ragnarok isn't even out yet, but at this point those are just technicalities.

Why not just start working on the remake now, while the main game is being worked on, it'll save a lot of time later since the main game will still be fresh in everyone's mind. Give Kratos a beer belly in the remake because it makes the game more realistic.Change a few of the rocks from ocean gray to military gray, and then change one line of text in the game somewhere and then it'll be a censorship outrage on twitter and now you just got yourself some free publicity.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

Man what the fuck is this? Seriously, we live in a joke era. how is this possible? HZD is beautiful, I thought "remastering" a PS3 2013 title (The Last of Us) remaster was surprising enough, now this? I don't even have 100% HZD because one day I intend to make the new game+. Man, what strange times.

Edited by kevao97

We really live in an era of remakes/remasters which I don’t mind but I would prefer if Guerrilla Games would make a new IP. A lot of games from the PS2/PS3 days desperately need a remake in general but they’d rather remaster a game that is five years old and still holds very well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaintP said:

Will this include free PS7, PS8 free upgrade?

Man, can you imagine the backlash if PS5 Pro or PS6 is announced this year or something.

Like PS5 is practically two years old and you STILL can't just walk into a store and casually buy one off the shelf.

I still remember the backlash when things like RE5, RE6, GOW III etc were getting PS4 remakes. At the very least, at least those games were technically quite a lot older than 5 years and they did get a very nice and welcome HD upscale and a rock solid 30fps -> 60fps.

I still remember Life If Strange, a PS4 game getting a remaster, also released on PS4.

Honestly, are companies that desperate for money? Or maybe they are just hoping on multiple stack people to rebuy the games for more trophy stacks (which they do of course)

There's a whole ton of PS2 games I'd love to be re-released, let alone remade, stuff like The Bouncer, Dynasty Warriors 3 and 4. I had so much fun with Bully a few years on PS4, even though it's pretty much just the PS2 version complete with extra slowdown (like in the fairground area)

PS4 remakes shouldn't be a thing, they are too close to the present day. PS3 consoles don't last forever, so PS3 remakes/remasters should be given the priority, that and PS2 stuff.

Astro's Playroom should get a remaster.

7 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

This is the exact same thing Hollywood is going through. Remake after remake.

Pretty sure in Hollywood they should be called Demakes.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

So if they remaster Twisted Metal what's it going to be? The first two games and then Black?

I can't imagine people wanting to play 3 and 4.

At this point, it will be Destruction All Stars with a Sweet Tooth skin

There, enjoy your 70 dollars AAA with Battle pass and dead online

• Like 1

I don't really see the problem, they want to promote the franchise with a TV show and are bringing the first game to the most recent platform so people who didn't play the original can get it on the newest format.

Like how many times have people bought something like Skyrim already? Or stuff like Street Fighter 2 or Dragon's Lair? Games get re-released all the time.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Fr_0zt said:

Sitting here waiting for a Bloodborne 60 fps patch.... A fuken PATCH.  Is that too much to ask for!? 

There was a recent insider leak that this is not happening because remastering it would require FS involvement due to the complexity of the code; but they are too busy with Elden Ring DLC. Of course you'll have to take this with a grain of salt but it seems likely. I do feel like a remaster/remake/pc release is inevitable because of how much money they'll generate.

Edited by boorish_brute

50 minutes ago, boorish_brute said:

There was a recent insider leak that this is not happening because remastering it would require FS involvement due to the complexity of the code; but they are too busy with Elden Ring DLC. Of course you'll have to take this with a grain of salt but it seems likely. I do feel like a remaster/remake/pc release is inevitable because of how much money they'll generate.

Such a poor excuse considering a modder did it and said it was not complicated at all lol. The downside to it being a mod is that you need some king of jailbreak, and that bans your PS4 from ever going online.

Digital Foundry even has a video of the mod running on a PS5 dev kit.

3 minutes ago, kanzenchaos said:

Such a poor excuse considering a modder did it and said it was not complicated at all lol. The downside to it being a mod is that you need some king of jailbreak, and that bans your PS4 from ever going online.

Digital Foundry even has a video of the mod running on a PS5 dev kit.

There are also legal reasons involved with using/modifying code. They might've licensed code to Sony which they cannot modify and resell.