Mortal Kombat 1

Abby_TheLastofUs

The Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC (Steam and Epic Games Store) and will include all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).

FAQ

1 hour ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Yeah, what's up with that? It didn't need the "1" to sound like a reboot.

Will the next one be Mortal Kombat 2?

At least Battlefield 1 had the excuse of being set in WW1.

I don't mind it when games re-boot and keep it clean as the franchise name (e.g. God of War, DOOM), but in this case you have:

• The original Mortal Kombat, which people refer to as MK1
  • Mortal Kombat- which is technically Mortal Kombat 9
  • Mortal Kombat 1, which is technically Mortal Kombat 12

Just a bit weird and confusing, especially since this is sort of the 2nd re-boot for the franchise now. The Hitman reboots being numbered 1 - 3 irks me similarly; there are now two Hitman's, two Hitman 2's...?

In general I prefer games having subtitles than numbers - always feels a bit more memorable. Especially reboots. God of War and DOOM just titled their re-boot simply as the franchise, and then subtitled their sequels rather than number them identically. I also personally connect to games more with a cool subtitle that captures the events of that games a bit more - Tears of the Kingdom (Zelda), Ragnarok (God of War), Valhalla (AC), Village (Resi) than numbers. Mortal Kombat: Reborn or something like that would have been cool and fitted in with their reboot marketing pretty cleanly (also, thematically if I'm interpreting the trailer right, and based off the end of 11). 

Obviously my opinion, people may disagree. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

I don't mind it when games re-boot and keep it clean as the franchise name (e.g. God of War, DOOM), but in this case you have:

• The original Mortal Kombat, which people refer to as MK1
  • Mortal Kombat- which is technically Mortal Kombat 9
  • Mortal Kombat 1, which is technically Mortal Kombat 12

Just a bit weird and confusing, especially since this is sort of the 2nd re-boot for the franchise now. The Hitman reboots being numbered 1 - 3 irks me similarly; there are now two Hitman's, two Hitman 2's...?

In general I prefer games having subtitles than numbers - always feels a bit more memorable. Especially reboots. God of War and DOOM just titled their re-boot simply as the franchise, and then subtitled their sequels rather than number them identically. I also personally connect to games more with a cool subtitle that captures the events of that games a bit more - Tears of the Kingdom (Zelda), Ragnarok (God of War), Valhalla (AC), Village (Resi) than numbers. Mortal Kombat: Reborn or something like that would have been cool and fitted in with their reboot marketing pretty cleanly (also, thematically if I'm interpreting the trailer right, and based off the end of 11). 

Obviously my opinion, people may disagree. 

Hitman is not comparable, at all. There is only one Hitman and that is 2015's Hitman. The original game was titled Hitman: Codename 47, and similarly there is only one Hitman 2, and that is the 2017 title. The original sequel was subtitled Silent Assassin. The only confusion there could be is if people don't bother reading the plain English.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Not sure what to think...I haven't played Mortal Kombat since 9 and I was absolutely terrible at that game. I bought Mortal Kombat XL years ago and never played it, and have been really close to buying 11, for no reason at all. But I grew up on this franchise so I've always loved it...I just suck at it now (kid me would be ashamed). So I don't really know if this reboot story is still in tandem with the story of the previous games or not...but it just seems strange that Liu Kang is the god now instead of Raiden? 

Plus the naming...Mortal Kombat 1 is pretty bad. I can only assume that maybe it's referring to it being the first Mortal Kombat tournament under Liu Kang's Universe? Assuming the whole 10 tournament thing is still the story? Graphically it looks incredible though...can't knock it there. 

Raiden gave up his god hood to be able to compete in Mortal Kombat and defend Earthrealm. Liu Kang won the Mortal Kombat becoming a god as his reward 

Will all the female fighters have all their curves removed with 10 layers of clothes on again? Seriously the costumes in 11 sucked. Game was good though. I hope it's not another time travel story

1 hour ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

Raiden gave up his god hood to be able to compete in Mortal Kombat and defend Earthrealm. Liu Kang won the Mortal Kombat becoming a god as his reward 

That's not how I remember 11 ending at all. Raiden used his power to make Lui Kang his replacement as Raiden always gets corrupted

56 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Will all the female fighters have all their curves removed with 10 layers of clothes on again? Seriously the costumes in 11 sucked. Game was good though. I hope it's not another time travel story

That's not how I remember 11 ending at all. Raiden used his power to make Lui Kang his replacement as Raiden always gets corrupted

Oh yea, you're right. I was thinking of the TV lore. My bad 

6 hours ago, SiC said:

FAQ

Where is PS4 ? Hogwarts received PS4 version but fighting game not possible to run on PS4?

7 hours ago, Viper said:

Not sure what to think...I haven't played Mortal Kombat since 9 and I was absolutely terrible at that game. I bought Mortal Kombat XL years ago and never played it, and have been really close to buying 11, for no reason at all. But I grew up on this franchise so I've always loved it...I just suck at it now (kid me would be ashamed). So I don't really know if this reboot story is still in tandem with the story of the previous games or not...but it just seems strange that Liu Kang is the god now instead of Raiden? 

Plus the naming...Mortal Kombat 1 is pretty bad. I can only assume that maybe it's referring to it being the first Mortal Kombat tournament under Liu Kang's Universe? Assuming the whole 10 tournament thing is still the story? Graphically it looks incredible though...can't knock it there. 

It was CGI

7 hours ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

Yeah, what's up with that? It didn't need the "1" to sound like a reboot.

Will the next one be Mortal Kombat 2?

At least Battlefield 1 had the excuse of being set in WW1.

MK 1 2023 is MK12 because they continue MK 11 story but probably developers and publisher don’t want big numbers like 13/15/18. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

Where is PS4 ? Hogwarts received PS4 version but fighting game not possible to run on PS4?

It was CGI

People keep saying that like PS5 games don't already look like this anyways. It'd be pretty damn disappointing if the game doesn't look remotely like this when we've been long past the days of cinematics being far higher quality. I don't expect much of a departure.  

23 minutes ago, Viper said:

People keep saying that like PS5 games don't already look like this anyways. It'd be pretty damn disappointing if the game doesn't look remotely like this when we've been long past the days of cinematics being far higher quality. I don't expect much of a departure.  

PS5 is PS4 with sometimes better resolution and textures

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

PS5 is PS4 with sometimes better resolution and textures

Aaannnd when games are built ONLY for current gen it gets to take full advantage of that. The point remains, that I didn't see anything in that trailer that made me think there was no way the game couldn't look that good in actual gameplay. Nothing looked out of the realm of possibility for modern standards. 

• Like 2

On 18/05/2023 at 8:39 AM, RevengeancePrime said:

With SF6 around the corner, the only way I'm buying this anytime soon is if Shao Kahn is on the roster (which I doubt since Shang Tsung is a preorder bonus) or if there's a guest character I really want to play like Michael Myers.

Why not both? SF6 and MK12 

i expect Tekken 8 to be Q1 2024 though. It would be dope if it was Q4 2023.

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Take a look at the Kollector's Edition

e2a3cced-00a0-48dd-aa80-3cbea9c4acfe-168

statue isnt worth the price. Looks very cartoony

21 hours ago, Viper said:

Aaannnd when games are built ONLY for current gen it gets to take full advantage of that. The point remains, that I didn't see anything in that trailer that made me think there was no way the game couldn't look that good in actual gameplay. Nothing looked out of the realm of possibility for modern standards. 

This is true. When a game is specifically made for PS5, it looks much better than PS5/PS4 mix. I mean, sure Horizon 2 and GoWR look better on ps5 version than the ps4 version BUT they are also held back by supporting PS4.

I wish more exclusives to PS5/Series X/PC were happening. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

The rumoured DLC Guest Characters...

Hide contents

Homelander, Peacemaker, Omni-Man 

...are cool but don't seem to fit the MK universe as well as previous characters such as The Terminator, Rambo or Predator and the Xenomorph, right?

Polygon article regarding the full leak, for anyone interested.

Homelander and Peacemaker would be super dope imo, and John Wick ? too. 

• Like 1