Is Sony planning on a PS5 ‘Pro?’

CRUX19

I did read somewhere that this year a slim version and a pro version should come out, but not sure how reliable this info was, I guess it was more of a rumor. Hope the new ones have less loud coil whine. 

Edited by Afura_33
  • Like 1

The PS5 has had such a weird launch with the pandemic and the shortages and that prolonging the PS4's cycle quite a bit longer than it normally would.  I don't think Sony considers the PS4 Pro a failure so a PS5 Pro is probably something they originally planned on doing.  The question is, if they plan on doing it roughly around a consoles half way point, all things considered how long do they see the PS5's life cycle.  It's not as easy to predict this time around.

It's hard to imagine it now with games barely scratching the surface of what this gen is capable of, but eventually there will be a reason for a PS6, so there will probably be a reason for a PS5 Pro eventually.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's hard to imagine it now with games barely scratching the surface of what this gen is capable of, but eventually there will be a reason for a PS6, so there will probably be a reason for a PS5 Pro eventually.

I totaly agree with this, until now I haven't seen much difference in graphics between the ps4 pro and the ps5, I am honest I am not able to tell a difference when it comes to graphics, if you wouldn't tell me I wouldn't notice it. 

Edited by Afura_33

We are all just gamers in the same forum. If you don't know and don't see any news or information, then no one else will be able to provide you with anything that says different.

You should also go back and figure out why there was a PS4Pro, the first midgen refresh of its kind not a "trend setting move", was created. 

".With PS5 technically being 8K capable "

That is just video not gaming. 
No 8K games on deck. The current struggle is 60fps with dynamic 4k.

Last gen gamers said framerate was the most important. Now everyone is doing fake 4K in order to get higher fps numbers but now let's chase resolution again by talking about 8K games.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 3

Looking back the PS4Pro was released along with a slim version around three to four years after the original PS4 - i.e. approx. mid-way in the machine’s lifecycle. I wouldn’t be surprised with Sony making some announcement around this summer about both a slim and upgraded PS5 releasing end of this year, early 2024.

Edited by Neef-GT5

14 minutes ago, Kotetsu42x said:

A Slim will absolutely happen though, the towering monolith will eventually be downsized. I do wonder how the sales are with disc vs. digital systems are, I could see only one of those getting the Slim treatment depending on which overall sells better.

Haha yea the ps5 is thick like a brick ^^

For the slim version I think you will need an usb dvd drive for it, I doubt that the slim version will have enough space to put a dvd drive somewhere in it. 

Edited by Afura_33
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

".With PS5 technically being 8K capable "

That is just video not gaming. 
No 8K games on deck. The current struggle is 60fps with dynamic 4k.

Last gen gamers said framerate was the most important. Now everyone is doing fake 4K in order to get higher fps numbers but now let's chase resolution again by talking about 8K games.

Not sure what you're insinuating I was trying to say by bringing up the 8K situation, I wasn't trying to say 8K games are a priority or down the pipeline in any way. Just that the purpose of PS4 Pro's creation at the time was to get in while the 4K iron was hot, and that this current generation system is capable of reaching a higher resolution. It's definitely not a priority though.

• Like 1

I mean most likely they will, I do think with the unusual start of this generation we might see the Pro and Slimmer versions later than usual. I won't be surprised if this is going to be a 10 year generation tho.

Also we still need need games, 2 years and the PS5 is still rather lackluster in that department imo.

• Like 1

Sure hope at least a slim version becomes available by the end of the year as I plan on getting one for Christmas, then again I have a second model PS4 that works wonders so I'll probably use the PS5 for its version of the games, just wondering if I should also buy a new TV, I have a good one but it's probably obsolete by now, I'm also trying to figure out where to put the PS5 since it's huge and space where I game is rather limited.

i would say @DaivRules said it best

10 minutes ago, Ninjise said:

I mean most likely they will, I do think with the unusual start of this generation we might see the Pro and Slimmer versions later than usual. I won't be surprised if this is going to be a 10 year generation tho.

Also we still need need games, 2 years and the PS5 is still rather lackluster in that department imo.

I read that it wont be a 10 year generation

pretty sure i read somewhere they wanna stick with a 5-6 year plan

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kotetsu42x said:

Not sure what you're insinuating I was trying to say by bringing up the 8K situation, I wasn't trying to say 8K games are a priority or down the pipeline in any way. Just that the purpose of PS4 Pro's creation at the time was to get in while the 4K iron was hot, and that this current generation system is capable of reaching a higher resolution. It's definitely not a priority though.

The 4K moment was hot back then, until PC gamers(well console gamers that suddenly went to PC, (PCC gamers)) learned about 1440p/120fps+ games. At first PCC gamers saw 4k and didn't care that the fps was sub 30. Which was even worse with Ray-Tracing.

Now AMD, Nvidia, and PS all have their own fake 4K solutions in order to make a crisp that doesn't sacrifice framerate.

What I am saying is that we gamers chased resolution then flipped to chasing framerate. From a game perspective one of the two have to give. 8K gaming would mean horrible framerate on console and PC for the forseeable future.