PS4 User Survey Hints At New Features?

Parker

Sony has been sending out some user surveys and it seems there are some heavily requested features in the pipeline. 

Sony has sent out a user survey to PlayStation 4 owners, suggesting the company is thinking about implementing a reputation system as well as the option to change your PS Username on its new console.

The survey, which you can see below, suggests a range of new features could make their way to the PS4 in a future update, assuming that user demand is there.

PS4_User_Survey-610x542.png

Alongside the reputation system and the ability to change your PlayStation Username, Sony is also seeing if there's interest among PS4 owners for an advanced matchmaking system designed to match you more closely with people at your skill level, and the option to appear offline.

There's also queries regarding expanding the upper limit for party chat beyond eight, the ability to chat across all PlayStation systems, and on-screen notifications to alert you when your friends pitch up. No time frame for when we might see any of these features has been announced, assuming Sony decides to press ahead with them at all.

Source: IGN

Out of those features I want to see changing our PSN username implemented first but an advanced matchmaking system could make online play much more enjoyable for a lot of people. What would you guys like to see?

Parker

The synchronization amongst the three platforms is a MUST, its annoying having 50 messages coming through to my PS3 after using my PS4. Name changes I'm not that big on, only because I'll forget whos who after the changes but my name is as bland as it comes so I would also welcome the change.

very true - its especially annoying when you decline a friend request, but it still shows up on all 3 other places!

Soumds like decent features - hoefully there is a significant cost to changing your username tho - as that could be abused quite easily.

The reputation system could be interwsting, but I bet there will be a lot of "that asshole shot me in battlefield! 1star!" ;)

I think a $5 fee to change you name would be plenty, $10 on Xbox seems a little too steep for something as simple as a name change, in my opinion. 

I would be interested to see how the reputation system would play out as well. The one on Xbox seems to work fairly well but since I'm mainly a PlayStation user I haven't had a ton of experience with it. I do know over the years I still have a good reputation even when I've dome very well in FPS games where you'd assume people would try to vote you down for doing well.

Parker

• Like 1

Am I the only one who is happy with my username?

Personally, I think that one could be a bad idea.  I would quickly lose track of which of my friends was going by what pseudonym and it could get very confusing.

But Sony doesn't appear to have selected me for this survey, so my opinion matters even less!  ;)

• Like 1

I think a $5 fee to change you name would be plenty, $10 on Xbox seems a little too steep for something as simple as a name change, in my opinion. 

I would be interested to see how the reputation system would play out as well. The one on Xbox seems to work fairly well but since I'm mainly a PlayStation user I haven't had a ton of experience with it. I do know over the years I still have a good reputation even when I've dome very well in FPS games where you'd assume people would try to vote you down for doing well.

Parker

You don't want to play FIFA then lol. I've heard from several others that people in that game series are much worse than anything they've ever encountered in any FPS game when it comes to sending hate messages and giving negative reputation.

Xbox has an improved rep system for the Xbox One that they've implemented and are currently tweaking that is supposed to be better than the rep system on Xbox 360. The more you play online without any negative feedback the less any negative report affects you. The Xbox One rep system is also more automatic and looks at reports over a few weeks to determine if you have good rep or if it needs work or if you should be avoided and is supposed to be better at filtering out if a person is just reporting you because you're better than they are. If you fall into the avoid me category then there are penalties such as reduced matchmaking, etc.

This is the latest on it in case anyone is interested in reading about it. http://news.xbox.com/2014/03/xbox-one-leveling-up-reputation - If Sony does implement some sort of rep feature hopefully it'll be more like the Xbox One version and less like the Xbox 360 version.

Am I the only one who is happy with my username?

Personally, I think that one could be a bad idea.  I would quickly lose track of which of my friends was going by what pseudonym and it could get very confusing.

But Sony doesn't appear to have selected me for this survey, so my opinion matters even less!  ;)

They would make it a paid change most likely to attempt to cut down on the times people change it just to harass other players and just to bring in more cash. It's definitely about time they did this though. Not that they're actually doing it yet but to even ask is a huge step forward compared to their previous stance about not doing it for "security reasons".

Edited by BooneJusticius

I wouldn't think 5 of your earth dollars ould be enough to deter people from changing thier moniker ad nauseum - maybe 1 gold trophy per change ;)

I would never change my username.

From ther list I would be interested in seeing:

- Synchronization between systems

- Notification of friend coming online (notification for offline is a bit of a waste - have always wished online / offline notifications were separate)

That is all

I would like to change my username, though i dont like the idea of paying for it just let everyone do it one time that would stop players overusing the privilege, we could then send a message to all friends who matter that we done it (or even better once we do it PSN could automatically send a message to all our friends for us), though most of my friends on PS4 see my real name anyway so they would still know it was me.

Full sync across all platforms is a great idea, i must admit i was surprised when i realized i couldnt see my PS4 buddies online when i played my PS3 and i also get annoyed by all my PS4 messages appearing as 'unread' messages on my PS3, hopefully they will make all platform sync happen and soon

On screen notifications when our PS4 friends come online is a good idea, but not all our friends, maybe they could let us choose our 'favorite' friends and we would be notified when they came online

The ability to be invisible is a good idea, i guess it would come in handy in certain situations, though i probably wouldnt use it too often

Im not sure i like the idea of a reputation system, it would have to be done in exactly the right way

Edited by its_supergamer

I would like to change my username, though i dont like the idea of paying for it just let everyone do it one time that would stop players overusing the privilege, we could then send a message to all friends who matter that we done it (or even better once we do it PSN could automatically send a message to all our friends for us), though most of my friends on PS4 see my real name anyway so they would still know it was me.

Full sync across all platforms is a great idea, i must admit i was surprised when i realized i couldnt see my PS4 buddies online when i played my PS3 and i also get annoyed by all my PS4 messages appearing as 'unread' messages on my PS3, hopefully they will make all platform sync happen and soon

On screen notifications when our PS4 friends come online is a good idea, but not all our friends, maybe they could let us choose our 'favorite' friends and we would be notified when they came online

The ability to be invisible is a good idea, i guess it would come in handy in certain situations, though i probably wouldnt use it too often

Im not sure i like the idea of a reputation system, it would have to be done in exactly the right way

If they do the name change like how Xbox does then you get the first name change free and after that you have to pay. Xbox does that though because they just give you a random gamertag to start with when you first sign up.

Name change I have no need for but a $5 fee and a restriction to only being able to do it once every 3 months would not be bad.

The Party chat? I never use it on the Vita so its neither here not there to me

The user reputation - not sure about.

The sync of messages across platforms - Hell Yes I want that. Its such a pain to have to delete a long list of messages from the one console when you have been corresponding on another.

Online notifications are a great idea, but it would be helpful if you could suspend them when watching movies.

Every Saturday night without fail during a movie my PS3 tells me that Altered Formula is now online. Its got so bad that my missus has began questioning if AF is stalking us.

I told her that it is quite probably the case.

• Like 2

I would like to see most of these features. I certainly don't see what the hold-up is with allowing PSN ID changes. I certainly would like to see message synchronization. I turn on my PS3 and I have 30 new messages from a single PS4 conversation. I simply  mass delete all my PS3 messages most of the time instead of opening and marking each one as read. 

While I want to change my username the second I can and I wouldn't mind paying a fee....

I'm really looking forward to being able to see who comes online and offline, my friends list is still way under 100 so I don't mind the notifications (although have it as an option as I could see the people who have in the 1000's of friends getting annoyed quickly :P)

What I'd really like to see is the ability to access the stores of any region without the need for extra accounts.

There are a few things on that list that I would have expected from release. In fact, I thought the PS4 already had some of these features.

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 1