Game Thoughts

I reserve the right to change my mind until I've actually played it but it seems to be the game that nobody asked for. If this is truly what the Rocksteady developers wanted to make then fair enough but, from what we've seen, it doesn't seem particularly inspired. Not sure how you can have a group of characters from the comics with such inherently diverse skill sets and then have them all using guns and playing similarly to one another. My only guess is that the unique weapons are for the special abilities, for instance, Harley's baseball bat and Captain Boomerang's boomerang will be weapons you can only use when a certain meter is full. Unless, of course, the delay was to rectify this very issue so that the characters don't all play so like one another.

It's a shame that the reaction to the gameplay reveal had such an outpour of negativity but I can see why.  These live service games rarely work out, and even in cases where the live service elements have clearly been torn out months before the game's release (Redfall, Gotham Knights) they end up playing like a shell of a game that once was. That being said, I really don't want Rocksteady just to make another Arkham game. The revisionist history of Arkham Knight has been funny to watch because I distinctly remember the general view that the formula was well and truly played out at that point, with the Batmobile seeming like a tack-on to revamp a series that was already getting a bit long in the tooth. Knight was a good game but it's the second weakest after Origins and the weakest of the Rocksteady developed games by far. Now, a new Rocksteady developed Superman game, however, that I'd LOVE to play.

ETA: I also haven't forgotten that silly quote from one of the Rocksteady developers about how the Series S is "holding them back" which felt like a dev trying to get out in front of negative backlash with early, pre-release excuses...

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom
  • Like 2

It'll be just like every other 3rd person live service game. If you like them then you'll get some fun out of it. Myself I've zero interest in it. I don't like that stuff. They might aswell jump all in and announce a battle royale mode for it. Really make sure it tanks

I’d honestly forgotten the game even existed. Says a lot for just how forgettable, cliche and unoriginal/bad that footage they released was.

If the game gets a complete overhaul, removing the co-operative elements potentially and especially all of the GaaS elements I may look into it at a steep discount.

As it appeared before however, no chance I’d grab this, it looked so bad. Some fantastic anti-hero’s with wildly different abilities and the game just gave them all grappling guns and machine guns? Bore off

38 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I reserve the right to change my mind until I've actually played it but it seems to be the game that nobody asked for. If this is truly what the Rocksteady developers wanted to make then fair enough but, from what we've seen, it doesn't seem particularly inspired. Not sure how you can have a group of characters from the comics with such inherently diverse skill sets and then have them all using guns and playing similarly to one another. My only guess is that the unique weapons are for the special abilities, for instance, Harley's baseball bat and Captain Boomerang's boomerang will be weapons you can only use when a certain meter is full. Unless, of course, the delay was to rectify this very issue so that the characters don't all play so like one another.

It's a shame that the reaction to the gameplay reveal had such an outpour of negativity but I can see why.  These live service games rarely work out, and even in cases where the live service elements have clearly been torn out months before the game's release (Redfall, Gotham Knights) they end up playing like a shell of a game that once was. That being said, I really don't want Rocksteady just to make another Arkham game. The revisionist history of Arkham Knight has been funny to watch because I distinctly remember the general view that the formula was well and truly played out at that point, with the Batmobile seeming like a tack-on to revamp a series that was already getting a bit long in the tooth. Knight was a good game but it's the second weakest after Origins and the weakest of the Rocksteady developed games by far. Now, a new Rocksteady developed Superman game, however, that I'd LOVE to play.

ETA: I also haven't forgotten that silly quote from one of the Rocksteady developers about how the Series S is "holding them back" which felt like a dev trying to get out in front of negative backlash with early, pre-release excuses...

The Xbox Series comment actually holds true with what a lot of devs are now saying, they say it’s holding games back as if they want to release the game on Xbox it had to work well on x and S and the S is honestly a budget piece of shit. It’s why so many multiplatform games aren’t utilising the potential power of the PS5 to actually deliver true next generation experiences. 

Good Guy Microsoft /s

Edited by Oberlin1694

2 hours ago, Oberlin1694 said:

The Xbox Series comment actually holds true with what a lot of devs are now saying, they say it’s holding games back as if they want to release the game on Xbox it had to work well on x and S and the S is honestly a budget piece of shit. It’s why so many multiplatform games aren’t utilising the potential power of the PS5 to actually deliver true next generation experiences. 

Good Guy Microsoft /s

I'll believe it when cross gen games stop first. If devs have no problem releasing games for base PS4 and Xbox One consoles then Series S shouldn't be an issue. I believe it was also Jeff Gerstmann who said that this idea that the series S is holding the industry back doesn't wash when you consider that games have to be made with different PC configurations in mind...

It's worth noting that the Rocksteady developer (who has since apologised for those comments) said this in defence of Gotham Knights - made by the same studio who brought us the horrendously optimised Arkham Origins - running at 30fps. Gotham Knights, to this day, still does not have a 60fps option on either the PS5 or Series X.

3 minutes ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I'll believe it when cross gen games stop first. If devs have no problem releasing games for base PS4 and Xbox One consoles then Series S shouldn't be an issue. I believe it was also Jeff Gerstmann who said that this idea that the series S is holding the industry back doesn't wash when you consider that games have to be made with different PC configurations in mind...

It's worth noting that the Rocksteady developer (who has since apologised for those comments) said this in defence of Gotham Knights - made by the same studio who brought us the horrendously optimised Arkham Origins - running at 30fps. Gotham Knights, to this day, still does not have a 60fps option on either the PS5 or Series X.

Nah I believe the negativity in regards to Series S, far too many devs have complained about it for it NOT to be affecting games

1 minute ago, Oberlin1694 said:

Nah I believe the negativity in regards to Series S, far too many devs have complained about it for it NOT to be affecting games

So far, there hasn't been any devs that have publicly complained about the series S "holding the industry back" apart from the Rocksteady guy who I do not find to be credible due to the aforementioned reasons. So far all we've heard are rumours which I am taking with a hefty grain of salt, as games media is prone to exaggeration and hyperbole.

• 4 months later...

Now that we are so close to the release date and we have more videos about the gameplay and story do you like it ? Will you buy it ? The only reason I’m going for day one purchase is for 2 reasons.

1)The offline story mode update

2) Kevin’s last performance as Batman 

I would like to hear more opinions if you want to share it with the chat 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

I saw the story leaks and noped right out . 

Forbes reported this morning that a significant amount of what was in those leaks was allegedly "made up:"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/12/21/alleged-suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-leaker-admits-they-made-up-parts-of-the-plot

Edited by Xylobe
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

Forbes reported this morning that a significant amount of what was in those leaks was allegedly "made up:"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/12/21/alleged-suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-leaker-admits-they-made-up-parts-of-the-plot

yup i actually did saw that but some of the stuff was still real and it jsut leaves a bad taste in my mouth

im more than happy to be proven wrong about how the game ends up but i jsut dont have a lot of ...postive feelings

I say it’s not too late just yet for this game to be massively re-worked on accompanied by a further delay, even if that means the release gap between this and Batman: Arkham Knight extends beyond a full decade.

That or I’d suggest cancelling the game entirely. If you ask me, better this be true over the developer/publisher going ahead with launching Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League in its current state of gameplay, monetisation, narrative etc.

I'll avoid it until it's given away for "free" to PlayStation Plus subscribers. It seems like Rocksteady will inevitably added to the list of once amazing AAA devs that have permanently lost their way.  If I were to bet money, they'll be joining companies like Bethesda, Blizzard, and Bioware very soon.

Edited by Doodlebawp
  • Like 2

I think saddling this to the Arkham universe, while obviously done for sales, was a poor choice from the outset - either make it totally separated or make a new Arkham game that, y'know, feels like an Arkham game. I don't even like those games too much after getting all five plats for them, but by god they deserve a more fitting sequel than this.

14 minutes ago, Xillynoc said:

I think saddling this to the Arkham universe, while obviously done for sales, was a poor choice from the outset - either make it totally separated or make a new Arkham game that, y'know, feels like an Arkham game. I don't even like those games too much after getting all five plats for them, but by god they deserve a more fitting sequel than this.

And Kevin Conroy deserved a better sendoff, though we had no way of knowing. Looks like a dumpster fire.

• Like 3