Game Thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't looked at any current shit aside from the new gameplay trailer a couple months back. But I didn't agree with the initial backlash it got before the massive release delay. It literally just seemed like the DC version of Avengers, but flashier, and I was fine with that. I've personally never hated on live service shit, is it more preferable in a F2P game? Yes 100%, but it being in a paid game doesn't immediately make me nope out.

All that said... they pushed it back to release in-between Yakuza and P3. The length of those 2 games + Dragon's Dogma following a month behind. They literally shot themselves in the foot for sales (although the 100$ was in the top 3 on best selling preorders for like 2-3 weeks). But that window is just so bad for them...

On 12/21/2023 at 5:24 PM, Xylobe said:

Forbes reported this morning that a significant amount of what was in those leaks was allegedly "made up:"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/12/21/alleged-suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-leaker-admits-they-made-up-parts-of-the-plot

spacer.png

For some reason, I strongly believe the "it's all made up!" to be nothing more than damage control trying to get people to buy the games. The fact that the gameplay alone put people off is very telling, and it probably didn't help that this game would be Kevin Conroy's last performance so the gamers would be extra critical.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GrimOmen13 said:

I just hope that Rocksteady doesn't get shutdown if this tanks.

Given all the shutdowns and layoffs recently... well... if this game sells poorly you might say that it's a GRIM OMEN for Rocksteady's future. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, offdutysuperhero said:

you know alot of original rocksteady developers left mid way through production of this game? thats enough to tell you that the way the game is going is not a good one.

That's not true, only the founders left and that was when the game was almost done after 6 years

Many RS veterans are still at the studio since the times of Argonaut games

Looks like a perfect setting for a live service game. A rag tag group of freaks constantly sent out to do missions. That's the suicide squad. People complaining it's not Arkham have a whole trilogy, let the dev do something else AND if you liked their previous games why not give them the benefit of the doubt with a game you didn't think you wanted. And regarding the spoilers on twitter and the responses, It's from the perspective of the Suicide Squad, if you are reading that comic book you are doing so because it's not like Batman so why expect it to be an homage to Batman? Same with the game.

Edited by taekwonbrando
  • Confused 1

I'm confident that Rocksteady will have a great story for this game. They know the Batman characters so well, I hope it will translate over to the rest of the DC universe. This also looks like the closest thing we'll get to a Sunset Overdrive 2 which I'm super thrilled about because that's one of the most fun games out there.

Having said all that. I just can't get over Rocksteady picking these characters (minus Deadshot) and having them all just use different guns and hop and swing and super speed around in so many ways these characters just don't do. It's like the reverse if they made a Justice Leage game and gave them all machine guns and made Superman drive a limo, and Aquaman talks to trees now. 

Their movements and guns make no sense, Boomerang should be ONLY throwing boomerangs of different types, King Shark, if used, should never tripple jump and swim in the air and instead should just jump and climb and give him super speed when actually swimming in streams throughout the map or something. Deadshot is the only one I'm fine with, even the jetpack is okay. But Harley with a bat glider grappel gun is lame, give her an extending boxing glove hammer that shoots her up or spring shoes or some pranky/clown stuff that used to belong to Joker. Or you just use actual assassin characters that Waller picks, Deadshot, Deathstroke, KGBeast, Katana, Bronze Tiger, anyone that makes sense to use guns. Or just use any villain you want but make them act and fight like they're known for.

As a long time comic reader, this is the biggest glaring problem I have with the game. I don't care it's a "live service" I enjoy them when they're good and know I'll be playing something I can binge or pick up and play in small chunks for the next few years and save on buying other games. (i'm not paying for skins or cosmetic crap)

But if it's like Insomniac making Spider-Man 3 and you play as Frank Castle/Punisher in a orange and pink Spider-Man suit but you teleport and throw pies at people.

I dunno, again it looks fun and I'm excited, but it's going to be hard to overlook this and I feel like nobody else is bringing this up.

• Like 2

Here's my impressions

Pros:

-cutscenes look great

-voice acting is real good

-story is interesting

-the world is beautiful

Cons:

-it feels empty

-combat gets old fast

-go here, kill so many enemies or hold position for X amount of time

-same enemies all the time but with "shields"

-it feels and looks very much like fortnite

-live service

-Joker

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedDevil757 said:

Here's my impressions

Pros:

-cutscenes look great

-voice acting is real good

-story is interesting

-the world is beautiful

Cons:

-it feels empty

-combat gets old fast

-go here, kill so many enemies or hold position for X amount of time

-same enemies all the time but with "shields"

-it feels and looks very much like fortnite

-live service

-Joker

Joker is in the game? A lot or only a little? Oh how I hate that character…

On 7/29/2023 at 9:27 AM, Viper said:

I'm a big fan of Rocksteady's work on the Batman Arkham games, and I had said for years that if there was anyone who could tackle the seemingly impossible...making a good Superman and/or The Flash game...it'd be Rocksteady. And I always figured one of those roads was the next logical step for them. So I was a bit disappointed when we came to find out the next game was Suicide Squad...but I was willing to give it a chance. Then we started getting info on it...and something felt very off about it immediately. This was when we were getting news of Gotham Knights as well, and THAT game felt more like it belonged in the Arkham universe more than SS did. 

Fast forward to the gameplay reveal...I was completely taken out of it. Unless Rocksteady is rebuilding the game from the ground up, I can't see it being anything more than what we expect out of a very safe approach to a third person team based shooter, and as of right now I just don't care anymore. 

I feel the same way. I personally wont even try it until there's a deep sale and I have nothing else I want to play.