What’s a game everyone loved but you didn’t enjoy so much?

GamingMethodist

Just now, MrTacos98 said:

The Witcher 3. 100%

I tried it out on my other account and holy shit was it boring. Way too much inventory management and the side quests were dull as hell. I played for 6 hours and I was done.

Was literally just about to type this one.

The first arc of the story drags on WAAAY too long & imo just isn't interesting. The movement is just way too floaty & has gotten me killed more times than I care to admit. & lastly the combat as so many useless mechanics. Like a majority of the oils are useless, even on Deathmarch. Overall while I don't think the game was awful, it was probably like a 6 for me

• Like 3

Halo.  Played the first 2 and half of the third, far overrated.  It's like people didn't realize PCs didn't already have vastly better FPS for years upon years.  I'm talking to you Jeremy, you thought Halo was the first FPS, I still remember you saying that.

just 3 from the top of my head
Final Fantasy VII Remake - never played the original, but god, what a mediocre game. Graphics are great and girls are hot, and that's about all the good things I have to say. Boring world, repetive combat, stupid fucking bullshit nonsensical story and more, this just wasn't a good game. FF games are hit (XII) or miss (X) for me, but this was the biggest letdown.
Nier Automata - I guess my expectations were way too high. Not a bad game but not the second coming of Christ people make it to be.
Wolfenstein II The New Colossus - my god what a shit fucking game. All the woke stuff aside (and not just "there's a black character >:(" woke, it actually felt like some tumblr leftist's power fantasy), it was just horrible game in every single aspect. Story was awful, dumb and in bad taste, probably only game where I skipped every cinematic halfway through because I couldn't stand it anymore and gameplay was not much better, I admit it was fun at the beginning but it got very repetive soon and the moment you'll get assault rifle and shotgun, there isn't anything more the game will offer except frustration and boredom. People say that Youngblood ruined the franchise but for me, it can't possibly be much worse than II, and I liked New Order and LOVED Old Blood.
I'm sure devs found shitting, pissing and vomiting Hilter shooting Ronald Reagan absolutely hilarious and the "punch a nazi" campaign is an epic nod to their antifa comrades, but for a Wolfenstein veteran such as myself, New Colossus is a nothing short of disgrace and I actually went and replayed RtCW immediately to get rid of the bad taste in my mouth. Only good thing about it was Frau Engel, but then again, wasting such a great, fun villain on a trash like New Colossus should be a crime.

Sorry for the rant, I swear I didn't plan it but I got mad just thinking about it.

1. The Last Of Us - it was okay, but nowhere near a masterpiece, I thought the story was overdramatic and it felt like it dragged for too long in some places

2. Uncharted 1-2 - the games were so boring to get through for me. I didn't like how the gameplay was too simplistic and had no depth. Also, the story is too over the top despite the realistic atmosphere the games try to present

3. GTA IV - this game was just about driving to a set destination, killing one random guy and driving back to the hideout. Moreover, the dark and depressing atmosphere wasn't really motivating. Driving was terrible and the gameplay was clunky. I hated the side stuff as well

4. Puppeteer - people consider this a hidden gem, when I personally found it boring even though I love platformers

5. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - I don't really dislike this game, but I like it the least out of the trilogy because of the vehicle levels. I just can't understand how this one would be anyone's favourite

6. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance - I love KH, but something about the game seems off. It's definitely the combat, but I can't really explain why I'm not the biggest fan of this one
7. Assassin's Creed 1 and Brotherhood - excluding Unity, those two are my most disliked AC games. Getting through them was a pain. AC1 was awfully boring for me, while ACB had some frustrating and repetetive missions (constant tailling, climbing the palace for the 5th time)

Edited by Sebulba2000

From the ones i can remember:

Street fighter V not an awful game in 2024, but i didnt like the new mechanics, i didnt like the story and little details the game shows, and it didnt click with me tbh.

Metal gear V phantom pain , the part where you start repeating missions was a total no no for me, the game how abrupt it changes is surreal, it was going in a direction and it goes a total different one.

Final Fantasy XVI - I really wanted to enjoy this game, and I was super hyped for it for the longest time. But the gameplay was super repetitive no matter how much I experimented with it, and the world building and story - the things that kept me playing despite the aforementioned repetitiveness - largely went to shit past the halfway point. Final boss fight was great, but the ending was dogshit and I'll die on that hill. Seems to have been overblown, primarily by people with questionable standards. 5 or 6 out of 10.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom - I actually still liked this game quite a bit, but too much was copied from BOTW for my liking and it feels like one of the most cookie-cutter games I've played from Nintendo (excluding Pokémon as a whole lol). It's the better game in a lot of ways, but proportionately there was too little meaningful new content (outside of making the game even more padded out than BOTW already was) and it feels like it has hardly any identity of its own as a result of this. This also creates a problem where BOTW retroactively feels less interesting and unique as well, putting both games in an odd position. Still a good game, but there's nothing there that - to me, anyway - justifies the usual 5-6 year wait for a major new game in the series. The third major official trailer is still one of my favorite video game trailers ever (especially with that music), but the actual game was so disappointing by comparison and the praise it's gotten - plus the endless insecure defending and shilling of the game I've seen on Twitter/X - makes me really question if people just have low standards for certain things or something. Although BOTW was also overblown to hell and back despite being kind of mid too in a lot of ways. Both are still great games in their own ways (and there's a lot I like about them), but definitely nowhere near deserving of the mindless praise they get from 90% of the people that played them as far as I'm concerned. Also old Zelda is - on average - better and more well designed throughout, blah blah blah. 7.5 out of 10.

Edited by Zephrese

For me, it's the three most overrated games and/or game series of all time. Namely Fortnite, Halo, and Call of Duty. Fortnite is only popular because it's free plus I got so sick and tired of getting spammed invites from people that I wound up deleting several people off of my PSN friends list. Halo is a generic repetitive FPS with one of the most boring lead protagonists ever in Master Queef, plus when it debuted all the nerds out there were creaming their panties acting like they'd never seen a video game before. As for Call of Duty, it's just the same shit different year game after game after game. The online atmosphere for all three is also mainly filled with hostile delusional lunatics that have either never been laid or haven't been laid since the Great Depression. 

• Confused 1

This is definitely Zelda Breath of the wild.

It all started on the Game Boy with The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and then it continued on the  on the GameCube with Ocarina of time, the Windwaker (maybe the best for me) and Twilight Princess. Unfortunately I haven't played any more, but holy shit was breath of the wild a cramp to finish. So I will never touch the latest one. :(

Besides that:

Hogwarts Legacy

I love Harry Potter but that game was pain in the ass for me and no platinum possible after 70 hours of playing time due to a bug that has only been known for a year now...

Metal Gear Solid

For me there is only one agent and his name is Sam Fisher

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bioshock infinite. I still remember how hyped I was for it . Game felt like a regression and had a really stupid “ both sides “ nonsense with some really hamfisted commentary . 

then again , is the game even that “loved “ these days?

legend of dragoon . I like aspects of it but it’s just so repetitive. 

pretty much every mega man . I just don’t vibe with those kind of NES hardcore platformers. Maybe that will change as I ended up enjoying castlevania 1 in the anniversary collection but we wil see.

• Confused 1

I'd mentioned before how much I hate the Halo series, that's gotten me a lot of scorn over the years. After irritating a few people on here recently for saying I hate it, one thing is clear. Old habits die hard. It even netted me a stalker, something easily proven by the Confused(?) icon on this post that I recently recieved. 😂

Edited by Colin_Raleigh
  • Confused 1

I think what some players feel is that if a person hates a game or game franchise, they take it as a personal attack on them, because they like that game.

If a person on here says I HATE FORTNITE (like i did awhile back. lol), others may take it personally, but they shouldn't. But if someone says FORTNITE IS SHIT!. Then that's just their opinion. Personally, I can't stand the game. Lol. And if the game is technically crap, then that's yet another story. IMHO Halo is over-rated, but I used to play it a fair bit ages ago.

Edited by TheDarkKratos
  • Like 1

Final Fantasy III.

I really tried my best to go through it, but everything felt so disorganized that I lost track of what the heck was going on after about 3-4 hours, especially how the world is constructed.

Most interesting thing was seeing what Kefka would do next…but that’s it.

Pretty sure I’ll buy it day one if it has a remake, those errors fixed and the story tweaked a little.

The potential this game had was off the charts.

On 2/9/2024 at 8:11 PM, Sebulba2000 said:

1. The Last Of Us - it was okay, but nowhere near a masterpiece, I thought the story was overdramatic and it felt like it dragged for too long in some places

2. Uncharted 1-2 - the games were so boring to get through for me. I didn't like how the gameplay was too simplistic and had no depth. Also, the story is too over the top despite the realistic atmosphere the games try to present

3. GTA IV - this game was just about driving to a set destination, killing one random guy and driving back to the hideout. Moreover, the dark and depressing atmosphere wasn't really motivating. Driving was terrible and the gameplay was clunky. I hated the side stuff as well

4. Puppeteer - people consider this a hidden gem, when I personally found it boring even though I love platformers

5. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - I don't really dislike this game, but I like it the least out of the trilogy because of the vehicle levels. I just can't understand how this one would be anyone's favourite

6. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance - I love KH, but something about the game seems off. It's definitely the combat, but I can't really explain why I'm not the biggest fan of this one
7. Assassin's Creed 1 and Brotherhood - excluding Unity, those two are my most disliked AC games. Getting through them was a pain. AC1 was awfully boring for me, while ACB had some frustrating and repetetive missions (constant tailling, climbing the palace for the 5th time)

This is.. a take

• Haha 1

Uncharted 1, 2 and 3

In love with the first 75% of those games, then the last 25% with all the supernatural BS it becomes a chore for me.

I got this same feeling with these 3 games.

That they started developing the games with a clear idea and direction.

And then they game to the end and realized that the game was not long enough.

"Hmm, what can we do to make the games a bit longer?"

"I know, let's implement something that feels completely out of place with the rest of the game."

FF7 Remake.

The design of the (now two) FF7Rs really appeals to me, but I just found the combat system to be so fucked up that I couldn't handle it at all - instant hate :D

Played FF7R1 until after the first boss, rage quit, haven't dared to play it since then ^^