What’s a game everyone loved but you didn’t enjoy so much?

GamingMethodist

Shadow of the Colossus

Some say it is one of the greatest games ever made, but I couldn't enjoy the clunky gameplay, great atmosphere though. 

Horizon Zero Dawn 

Good gameplay but couldn't get into the story, never clicked for me, will try again though at some point in the future. 

MadMax707.png

Edited by MadMax707
Tidy up

Mine would be Resident Evil 4 (original), I felt like the changes were the beginning of the loss of identity of what RE was. I haven’t played the remake and really don’t feel compelled to play it, but I like to keep an open mind so I may out of curiosity.

Dragon’s Dogma is another which people fawn over that I just don’t get, It was janky and uninteresting to me. I’ve also read Shadow of the Colossus here which I would agree with.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 8:59 AM, Elvick_ said:

Cat. That’s it. As a game it’s okay but nothing special, aside from being a cat. If you were a person none of it would be impressive or interesting.

shows the importance of a good hook to a game. So if you’re not overly fond of being a cat it shows the only decent game under it more. 

Meow

God of War (2018)

It’s the only game I’ve ever started and deleted off my trophy list at 0%. A year later I tried it again (because of all the GOTY awards/hype) on a “Guest” profile and I stomached trudged through about 5-6 hours but I just found the gameplay to be insipid. It put me off ever playing a story-heavy Sony first party game ever again.

It was so bad I can’t even face starting Spider-Man 2 (an IP I love) despite owning the game since it’s launch.

• Like 1

Any Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Dark Souls type games. The first 2 are just boring to me and soulslike games are beyond brutal. Thanks to them, we don't get proper hack & slash games.

And I would like to mention The Witcher 3! I played it and will continue to play it BUT the combat, horse riding, movement animations are soooooo bad. It doesn't feel like a triple A game. I get it why people are loving it, I enjoy the quests but I don't get all the fuss about it. 🤷

Cyberpunk on the other hand is pretty well made. Have it on PC since day 1 and even though is was released with all those bugs and glitches, it was a fun experience. I am currently re-playing the story and then play the expansion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 5:58 AM, Viper said:

Sifu.

More specifically the boss fights. I enjoy the gameplay leading up to them, but then the boss fights are the complete opposite of what you got used to in the rest of the level...they require you to sit and wait for openings and to stay on defense while you get a hit or two in and go back to waiting. The rest of the game is you finding unique ways to basically create a cool ass martial arts film, and that's what I want to KEEP doing. The boss fights just completely brought the game down for me. I still haven't finished it (got to level 4)...I'm still considering giving it another chance, and at least finishing it once instead of focusing on the Plat. But I was really excited for it and those boss fights just killed any enjoyment I had. 

I would give it another chance. I felt the same way until I continually played and learned the game. For me lots of repetition, practice and adapting made me appreciate the game so much more.

Most of the bosses I can completely tear through now and it feels super rewarding. That said the game can be frustrating as well as punishing so I get it.

I still plan on going back to do the second set of DLC challenges. I haven't played the game in a while so I'll definitely be rusty...

On 10/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, Gooboid said:

God of Bore, more like amirite, fellas?

This, but unironically. Likewise for Horizon. I didn't exactly hate them, either, but... eh.

Prey is another I should mention. By all accounts, it's a game I should have loved, but it made a lukewarm impression at best. Funnily enough, I felt the opposite about Mooncrash, which held my attention from start to finish. Maybe I just really enjoy roguelite mechanics.

• 1 month later...

Nier: Automata to be honest. A friend who's a trophy hunter was playing it, from the little I'd seen and all the praise going around, I thought it would be this amazing adventure with a grand story, and wonderful music. I guess I liked some of the music.... though I wasn't impressed with anything on offer really. Sessions just turned into a lotta watching and us chatting. It actually felt and looked like a PS3 game from around 2010 it was kinda embarrassing, and mechanically it seemed more like a 6th gen game. I thought B2 and A2 would be different but nope, they weren't really separate gameplay wise. I was pretty bored most of the time and it was dragging for my friend as well, the game seemed like a good amount of busywork if not making you backtrack. I've played a lot of collectathons, but in comparison it just seemed really bare bones and empty.

Edited by JaydenTivon

- Grand Theft Auto/Rockstar games (my favorite is Bully)

- Breath of the Wild (ruined my favorite video game franchise)

- Skyrim

- Metroid Prime

Open world games in general. A few I like if the setting is good enough, but mostly I find these games exhausting to play.

Also every Kingdom Hearts game since 2, and generally anything by Tetsuya Nomura. Guy couldn't write his way out of a paper bag, and I genuinely think he must have some sort of mind-control powers to make people think his stories are worth telling. I think Japanese RPGs trying to tell a serious story have suffered since the advent of voice acting in general.

Edited by FunkiestStudent