The Great Subtitles Debate

FluffyAssassin64

The Great Subtitles Debate  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play a MAJORITY of your games?

• Subtitles ON
    • Subtitles OFF

I know subtitles have been discussed a lot in various threads around this site, but as I could find no 'general' topic, I thought it would be good to clear up once and for all; do you play a majority of the time with subtitles ON or OFF?

I know for me, I'm in the off camp for the following reasons:

• In some games they can be really ugly (can't think of any off hand, but I know there are many...)
  • They're DISTRACTING (constantly drawing your eye during epic cutscenes away from the action a la Watch_Dogs, or from character emotion in TLoU for example)
  • I feel they can 'ruin' what a character is about to say; especially if it would have been funny (I found this in Portal and Quantum Conundrum, among others)

I can definitely understand why people might like them on (make sure you don't miss any dialogue, hard-to-pronounce words can be heard, need the volume down for whatever reason), but personally, I will do all I can to avoid turning subtitles on. This often involves headphones, increasing the volume or only playing that particular game when the family isn't home, for example. I am guilty of replaying audio logs (e.g. in Watch_Dogs at the moment) after turning subtitles on momentarily if I feel I missed something, but it hasn't been an issue 98% of the time.

So, what about you? Do you play a majority of your games with subtitles ON or OFF? Why?

Note: There are some exceptions for subtitles for me (RPGs such as Fallout, Skyrim, ME, etc.), but this is the only genre I do this for. Every other game I turn them off pronto.

I have and always will play with subtitles on :)

I struggle to hear little bits of information and just want to make sure I learn everything about a game.

I still play with headphones on at night - however the subtitles remain!!!

Still its cool to hear why people don't like em'.

Always on for me, provided there is an option to have them at all (this is especially bad for a deaf friend of mine). I like reading subtitles and I've never had them take away from anything going on screen since I'm perfectly capable of reading and following moving imagery at the same time :P Naturally when volume is on, that's even easier but I play without voices or with low volume at night time. Subtitles are also helpful when I actually don't understand what is being said (foreign words, weird pronunciation, people talking too fast) or when audio is just gone (some people would have Murdered: Soul Suspect as a recent example). Naturally there are also words I don't know since I am not a native English speaker. There's also the "fun" factor when subtitles do not match audio at all or are just very weirdly presented (inFamous: Second Son) xD

Downside of course is the already mentioned spoilers contained within subtitles such as a sentence ending abruptly usually meaning that something's about to cut the conversation short.

P.S. Subtitles would have been really nice to have during my recent playing of Toy Story 3 since it was in Finnish and the voiced dialogue during cutscenes was entirely unhearable with low volume at night :P

I always turn the on, because I can work on my English when playing games  :awesome:  (or so I told my teacher). Since English isn't my native language, I learned the majority of my English vocabulary from games and movies (thus proving that games are educational and this should be a mandatory learning method :giggle: ). And subtitles also come in handy when I missed a dialogue.

I always turn the on, because I can work on my English when playing games  :awesome:  (or so I told my teacher). Since English isn't my native language, I learned the majority of my English vocabulary from games and movies (thus proving that games are educational and this should be a mandatory learning method :giggle: ). And subtitles also come in handy when I missed a dialogue.

You sound like one of my online friends who learned more English online playing games more than his teacher. I would teach him English while in turn he would teach my sister French. 

On topic: I always leave subtitles on because I enjoy reading them unless the game doesn't have subtitles such as Assassin's Creed.  

• Like 1

I have them on most of the time because I like to make sure I haven't missed any vital information or anything.

I'm a very quick reader though and I've never been distracted by subtitles long enough to 'ruin' a scene.

I hate it though when the subtitles are too long or too fast and display things the character hasn't said yet. As you say, like Portal 2.

Absolutely on at all times. I can't imagine playing (or, in many cases, watching) anything without them. The crux of the matter is that I live in a very noisy household and quite often I can't make out what sort of noises are coming from where and at what time. In comparison, I'm adept at reading quickly. Therefore, I'm able to gather more information about the events occurring in-game in a more dignified manner by using subtitles. That's basically all I have to say about it.

• Like 1

I'm not a native english speaker so I always turn on the subtitles (always in english) because I don't want to miss a thing they say and sometimes some characters talk like shit

You say subtitles distract you from the actual image, I always watch movies and play games with subtitles so I (and almost everyone i guess) read them very fast and I never miss a single 'emotion' shot :)

This.

• Like 1

Always on. Sound design teams for everything are atrocious. They are absolutely terrible at doing correct sound balances but I guess when you waste all that money on the Philharmonic Orchestra you have to boost the volume so its louder than speech. This bleeds over into TV shows and movies. 

• Like 1

If the game has subtitle option.. I always make sure it's On.... I am not sure if I am just deaf or what... but there are times that i couldn't understand or hear at all what character says sometimes...

I always turn them on, because I'm afraid I'll miss something important.. also in games like the last of us they were needed, I always ran away from Ellie and without them, I would of missed so much dialogue.

Anybody reading now who's yet to play TLoU, when you do, turn the subbies on man! 

I don't play the majority of my games with the subtitles on, I play ALL of my games with the subtitles on. I do this so I know EXACTLY what has been said as sometimes the speech can be too quiet, in a particular accent that I might mishear a couple of the words, in a foreign language (in some games it is translated to English in the subtitles) or I just don't pick up what was said. With the subtitles on I can follow every word without any problems.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 1