Do people here actually play games without thinking about Trophies?

JONNY-1992-_-

I like to try to play a game full on without thinking about trophies but then it starts to fest on my mind so i redo my whole game going through everything batman series and the evil within the only games i actually play thru then go through to get the trophies

Seriously who cares why people do what they do.  I love video games and I'm well aware they are a complete waste of time. Trophy hunting is meaningless too but it makes the game more fun to me.  Having fun is all that matters.  Most gamers don't care about trophies so your question is kinda dumb.  Naturally most the people on this website trophy hunt. That's what the website is for Einstien.  And most will probably shell out a few extra bucks to 100% the game if everything is done but DLC.  (Except for all the jobless broke fools out there still living with mom.)  Stupid question.

• 2 weeks later...

I play games for fun, but if I really enjoy them I try to get a platinum in them or to atleast 100% the SP if the online is boring. *Cough* Like Assassin's Creed *cough*

i also have different moods. Sometimes I feel like just trophy hunting in old games I have and sometimes I just want to sit down and relax with a good game.

But Since we're on a trophy site I asume we all like the sound of an trophy getting unlocked ;)

But everyone is not like us trophy whores.

I'm surprised some people actually make a decisions on purchasing a game based on it's Trophies. Is it me but I think that's a bit extreme to do. Why can't people enjoy games without Trophies like video games used to be?

People enjoy games for different reasons. Some people who play games for trophies, may not have enjoyed games before trophies existed. Not everyone is exactly the same, and different people get enjoyment out of different things. People who hunt for trophies, do so because that's what they enjoy. So, they're still enjoying games, just like those that don't play for trophies.

Also, just because people buy a game because of trophies, doesn't mean that's the only reason they're playing the game.

I've bought many games because of the trophy lists. I sometimes use it as a deciding factor.

For example, let's say I'm interested in White Knight Chronicles and Mass Effect 3. I only have the money for one, and I'm not sure which one I'll enjoy more. I take a look at the trophies and see that White Knight Chronicles is an enormous grind and nearly unplattable, and Mass Effect 3 is a perfectly obtainable and generally enjoyable plat. I don't want to spend 1000 hour grinding in a single game, so, I'll pick up Mass Effect 3. Yes, I picked the game because of the trophies, but that's not the only reason I bought the game. I was already interested in it.

Last but not least, trophy hunting is the easiest way to get the most out of a game. The majority of trophy lists require you to experience every aspect of the game at least once, if not completely master every aspect of the game. So, a person who trophy hunts will be experimenting with a game, and going outside of whatever is most effective, a whole lot more than a person who doesn't. Trophy hunters also get a far better value out of their games. Since to just play through a game, it might only take 5-10 hours, but for the plat, it could take 30-40 hours.

So, trophy hunters not only get enjoyment out of a game, just like those that don't trophy hunt, but they also don't have to constantly drop $60 on new games because they don't go through most games once and never play them again. Which is what non-trophy hunters generally do.

Trophies are a big part of games today.  I like the trophy/reputation/accomplishment system.  I feel it's something that gaming has always needed.  With that said, yes, I do consider the trophies before buying a game, but I won't allow it to be the only determining factor.  For example, Max Payne 3 was a game I knew I wanted to play.  It's notorious for being an incredibly difficult platinum due to NYMHC mode and how unbelievably glitchy and broken that mode is.  Did I get the trophy and the platinum?  No.  Do I regret playing the game and adding it to my trophy profile i.e. my publicly-viewed gaming history?  No.  Did I enjoy the game immensely?  Yes.  Am I ever going to platinum it?  HELLZ TO THE NO!! LOL Am I still glad I played the game and added it to my trophy profile?  Yes.  I think it's just a matter of keeping everything in perspective.  I do try to platinum all of the games that have platinums that I play and are added to my profile, BUT I'm not OCD about it and I'm not gonna torture myself just to platinum a game that I don't like.  Torturing oneself by playing a game you hate and are not enjoying at all just to maintain 100% completion on your profile or platinum the game seems obsessive and asinine to me.  Refusing to play a game because of it's trophies or creating a separate account to play those games also seems obsessive and ridiculous to me.  But that's just me.  With that said, I have 67 games on my profile (maybe 58 or so have a platinum) and I've managed to platinum 39 of those. I guess that's not too bad.  Fun first, platinum second.  100% completion?  FUHGEDDABOUDIT!! LOL Again, that's just me.  To each his/her own.

Edited by Spider-Man916

I buy any game I want, but thats because I use multiple accounts. 

If I know a game is good but has multiplayer, I refuse to pay full price and so will wait for a great deal and then play it on my turd testing account.

To go on my completion accounts, the game has to be a trusted game of great playability as well as having an enjoyable (overall) trophy list to en extent. Trophies should never put you off buying a game. Simply create a space account and then you can play anything you want.

I'm on a new account so I feel I need to get all the trophies for all of my favourite games which can be extremely overwhelming and I try to make sure it doesn't take a toll on my real life but it ain't easy. Then again I'll never buy a game for the sake of easy trophies. I bought Mortal Kombat the other week and I know I'll never platinum that but that's fine by me.

• 1 month later...

Rarely. I'm not obsessed with trophies, but I like to earn them to show/prove that "I've been here and done that". It's like leaving footprints. Why that's important, I don't know. Trophies are awesome. I just think some people say they dislike trophies because they want to look like they don't follow the crowd, like trying too hard to be a rebel or something.

While I trophy hunt, I only do so to an extent. I don't often explore a game's multiplayer. If anything feels too far out of reach for my interest/enjoyment level, I won't bother.

On top of that, I'll only go out and play the games that I feel I'm actually gonna enjoy. A couple of PS+ games I've played were questionable in that department, but I did start out wanting to play them, and if all it required was 2-3 hours more to get the 100% or platinum, then I sacrified that time (I'm looking at you, Proteus!).

99% of the time though, if I'm bored or sick of a game, I'll play something else. I play video games to enjoy myself!

• Like 1

I got directed here from playstationtrophies and pretty much stayed for the community. I like trophies, they offer some replayability for me at times but in no way do they affect how I play a game. Before playing a game and during the game, I'll make notes on trophies that I could get through that playthrough but don't go out of my way for them.

Trophies are definitely a part of my 'gaming' but they aren't the core of it, I use trophies as a 100%=done with the game, even if it isn't 100% complete in game (example Skyrim, i have 100% of the trophies but no where near 100% of the quests completed and I'm okay with that). I'll look at trophy guides and get missable trophies out of the way and grind some, but when it comes to purchasing games I don't care about trophies unless I know it's a game with tons of online ones (take MAG, I got that on an old account and servers were down a month later). Gaming is supposed to be having fun playing any games, and a trophy list shouldn't change that I think.

They don't impact my decisions at all. I still approach games with a 90s mindset, I guess: multiplayer / online options, trophies, etc don't mean much to me. If I don't get them via natural progression through a game, then I see them as a bonus thing to do post-main story if I want to keep going with it. If I really love a game, I'll play through it multiple times anyway. Always have done since I was a kid. 

Edited by Vrisnem
  • Like 1

I buy the games i'm interested in, and then work my butt off to plat/100% those.  I try to 100% the free psplus games i get, but I don't worry about them too much.  I've never thought about the trophies before a purchase though.  I just started into Max Payne 3, and yes its gonna be hard to plat, but I love the Max Payne games, so I'd play it regardless, going for plat is just getting more for my money in my mind.  But at the same time, I really get tired of online trophies, so i see games with lots of online, or online only trophies, and I'll definitely let them get cheaper before deciding whether to buy them or not.  My backlog is big enough, I'm doing mp trophies for 6 different games just to get them out of the way, before i even play single player on them, which kinda sucks, cause I get games for the story and sp gameplay, mp is just bonus content to me. 

Well now, I admit that I lkie having a high completion percentage (70% or higher), but I'm not going to go outta my way to get it. There are some game (like Vanquish) that I've completed, but without high %. Am I gonna rip my guts to get EVERYTHING? No, I'm not a masochist. Basically, I try to get the easy (story based, in most cases) trophies and some of the medium-hard ones ("kill X enemies with X"), but nothing above that. If some game requires beating it on Ultra Super Hard, without dying, in less than  2h 30min... "Screw that" I say, "I'm not THAT desparate". I'm here to have fun, not kill myself for some damn icon (that's what trophies are*), that doesn't give me anything. Sure, there are some games that I've played (I've just played through The Walking Dead) mostly for trophies. But that's basically just becouse the trophies are reeeealy easy. If the game has average difficulty trophies I'm not going to get the all. Does that make me a worse player? Possibly, compared to some trophy wh*res on this site. But I'm not gonna give a bigger f*ck about that. To semi-quote a great philosopher and a scholar: "I'm here to play games and chew bubble-gum, and I'm all outta gum" :)

*Well, trophies / achievements are basically to way to boost your ego, and to show the other guys on the internet that your d*ck is bigger than theirs

This site was made for the trophy hunters, so it's only natural many of them put a lot of stock on trophies. But my own experience here tells me many of them do care for their games and enjoy them. They haven't lost the way, the games they love just gave them something to work towards.

Me, I like trophies. It's like how jackmadrox put it. It's a way for me to show people where I've been and what I've done. It makes it easy to see how much of a game someone has seen, too, so if you talk about it, you know what to and what not to say.

Though it wouldn't seem so if you look at mine. I play what I'm in the mood to use and that tends to change daily. Probably because I buy games in bulk for fear I won't find them, again and to simply stock up for when I want to try it since the game store is too far away.