Do people here actually play games without thinking about Trophies?

JONNY-1992-_-

yes i do, games i play for the first time i don't really look in to it's trophies, some games i actually played for the fun and not because i accidentally played them on my account, hell if i cared much for trophies i should been bought the DLC for the games i own and 100% them all.

i still buy and play games with no trophies support, ps1 or ps2 games.

and i got dark mist ( only thing i complaining about it is that it have no save feature until i learn it's a part of the game and it's leader board )

Fun Fact: it seems most  people with Terminator Salvation & Hanna Montana the video game Platinum's on their PSN account are the type of playing games for the trophies :D

Don't knock Hannah Montana. The 3 hours I invested in the plat were pretty fun. Terminator Salvation, on the other hand...

Don't knock Terminator salvation. I played/beat/platinumed with my bro because it was one of the few couch-coop of this era, and it wasn't amazing but fun, probably as a sp sucks but i didn't played it that way. C, everything is relative.

If I borrow a game from someone, I tend to just go right into the game without looking at trophies... but if I buy a game, I'll look up a guide/trophy list... Getting the platinum is a good way to get more bang for your buck than simply cruising through the game... Trophies have also led to many enjoyable experiences that I would have otherwise missed out on. 

Trophies make games worth more. If you play Final Fantasy X remastered for 200 hours because you like to get his platinum means that you have a reason to get the maximum of the game and the price you paid for it. Trophies are a great inovation because of this. People how buy Hanna montana and Terminator Salvation just for the trophies they dont care about games anyway. They just dont know what to do with their time and money. And they have the right to do that no matter how stupid it is.

Are you saying that anyone who has played Terminator Salvation or Hannah Montana didn't enjoy the games they were playing?

A question I would like to ask is: Is it possible to play for trophies and have fun doing it playing games you enjoy?

What I disagree with in this thread is the unspoken premise that going for trophies or buying a game for trophies isn't fun in itself. For me, I can get a game for just the trophies, not care one bit about the actual game but getting the trophies is the fun part. On the other hand I can get a game that I am really into like Castlevania and know right from the start that I am going to go for the platinum because it is a game I want to experience everything. Spending 200 hours on FFX will most likely get you the majority of the trophies in that game anyways, depending on what aspect you focus on in the game.

Games and trophies for me go hand in hand. In the past I would play games and try to go through them trying to experience everything I could. Often times I would miss things in the game because I simply didn't know that part of the game existed, like secret side quests, or challenges. trophies in a way also point a path to open up often times overlooked parts of games.

Now don't get me wrong. I believe there are totally pointless trophies in games that have no bearing on gameplay and without an actual trophy, most people would not strive to accomplish these things. It can go both ways, but the majority of the time I find that trophies add to the experience

Edited by allenbird
  • Like 3

Games and trophies for me go hand in hand. In the past I would play games and try to go through them trying to experience everything I could. Often times I would miss things in the game because I simply didn't know that part of the game existed, like secret side quests, or challenges. trophies in a way also point a path to open up often times overlooked parts of games.

Now don't get me wrong. I believe there are totally pointless trophies in games that have no bearing on gameplay and without an actual trophy, most people would not strive to accomplish these things. It can go both ways, but the majority of the time I find that trophies add to the experience

^smart man here

Back before trophies I would never play a game on the hardest difficulty but now I am being forced to if I want the platinum. I have found games like 3d dot game heroes and bioshock have been much better when playing on the hardest difficulty.

Also I have tried out games I would never have thought to play because of trophies and discovered some really awesome games because of it (lone survivor being the main one).

Oh and an FYI who say "terminator and HM make you a non real gamer" well you can look at my list and make the judgement call for yourself if I am a real gamer or not.

i think modern gamin builds up so many egos now that it's ridiculous... all this 'i would never fully play through any game before' is rubbish...

surely most ppl have played games until there was nothin elso to do in the game?... i've been doin that since a kid up until when i couldn't do it due to responsibilities but i have always tried to finish games on the toughest difficulty or gettin 100% whether it was:

- puttin the difficulty right up on street fighter 1 to 3 then try to get the secret endings

- goin through mario games on new game+ and gettin all the secret levels/zones finished

- gettin every item or weapon possible in final fantasy/phantasy games

- finishin every mission in fallout 1 and 2

- finishin the entire elderscrolls 3 game 100%

- unlockin everythin in gt1, 2 and 3 includin the hd mode

- playin through mgs1, 2 and 3 non until i got every damn item or key card

- 100% zelda games

- gettin through the king's field saga in one piece

most games would need to be finished on the toughest difficulties or have 3 playthroughs etc etc to unlock cool extras like cheats, costumes, characters, weapons just like gamin today so the only difference is that now you get rewarded for doin it...

to play a game just to get another hoard of trophies is abit like vanilla ice sellin out in the rap industry for the cash...

play a game for the game, not for the braggin rights...

and please if you played games like hannah montana don't make like you played it cause you really like games about school girls singin, you played it cause it was another cheap game to get through... so just post that rather than exuses about it

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

Though I really like the trophy system, I do play games which I like without thinking about the trophies first. For example I played Twisted Metal, Spelunky, Zen Pinball, Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 and 2, etc because I really liked those games.

Games like Hannah Montana, Sportfriends and Man vs Wild for example I play for trophies, but that's not to say I don't find it relaxing to play them. I like my games to be brainless ones in a while and to cruise through them without effort.

And then ofcourse there are the small and quick indie titles like Proteus, Titan Attacks, Fort Defense, Limbo etc. Those are great for playing a short time and then moving on to the next when your done with them. It keeps my gaming fresh. Play one game for a short while, finish it, start another. That way I get a lot of different, fresh gaming experiences and get some quick trophies. I'd never start up games like Luftrausers or TxK with unobtainable trophies though. I want developers to at least give me the possibilty to 100% a game and get all the trophies for it. OCD I guess :)

So there you go, a mixed answer on the topic.

By the way, nice reply allenbird! You summed it up pretty well.

Edited by SugarIsTheDevil

I'm a bit of a trophy obsessor, I mean I have plenty of games that I have played several times after achieving the platinum just because I enjoyed the game so much. But there a few games I played that were just easy platinums that I didn't really enjoy. It really depends on the mood I guess. But I will admit that if I am scrolling through my trophy list and see a non platinum/non 100% that I am like "Damn, need to finish that sometime soon."

What I disagree with in this thread is the unspoken premise that going for trophies or buying a game for trophies isn't fun in itself.

I said that on few sites before. i know my english is not the best^_^. But i think there are many People like me. I love buying new games. i love the Feeling of getting a Trophy. Sometimes it is like giving my self a gift because i had a bad day, so i feel better. It is hard to explain, but gaming have more than one way to have fun. I have a lot of games in my list i played because i love the game or genre. I really understand everyone who plays because of other reasons. =) i never played hanna montana ^^ but i plated Terminator. Terminator was not fun to Play , but it was fun to get the Trophies. =)

It's hard to think in this day and age as a gamer where we have so many games that are created for their violent content, that we cannot enjoy a simple game like Hannah Montana and enjoy it for what it is: A game about school girl's singing.

Not to mention that horrible Horse mini-game :P

Seriously though I know I played Hannah Montana as a joke for my 100th platinum, but in reality it wasn't really a terrible game. I mean it wasn't good, but it was OK and as far as movie tie in games go it was not too bad.

I will say this honestly I enjoyed playing HM more than Borderlands.

I enjoy games, and I enjoy trophies. I don't play games I don't enjoy, although I will stick with a "Meh, I don't know" game longer if it has them. Of all the games I have completed, the closest thing I have to playing a game just for trophies is Doki Doki, and I actually really liked the game, I just did not like the "feature" where it crashed every 10 minutes. But the idea was cute, and it made me smile.

I only have two platinums. The Game of Thrones is because I really enjoyed it. It sucked me in and I actually had to ban myself from the game for a couple months because I was playing it way too late. Took a break then went back to finish it when I had more self control about bedtime. I had to get a platinum in that one, I wanted to see all the possible results.

The other is Shift. I like racing games, although Gran Turismo is my preferred racer. I can't get a platinum in that one, though, I'm not good enough... So I did Shift instead. It was a darker part of my life, and very much a "Screw you!" to an ex-boyfriend. Not that he'll ever notice! But I know it's there.

I am going to get platinum in Rainbow Moon eventually. I want to do everything in the game, and to do that and NOT get platinum would take a concentrated effort. It's not so much a goal as an "I'll get it eventually." I only play the game about once a week - I have to be in the right mood - so it will be a while.

And of course I will probably get Shift 2 at some point. I participated in a multi-week grinding session for the King of the Hill, I have to get platinum now! Ha! But I met some great people and now I have some Need for Speed racing buddies, so I am happy.

As for the PSN games, again I have a mix of 100% and partials. Some of the 100% were really easy, but that's never the main reason I got them. Even Linger in Shadows, I ran across it here and had to get it. A friend got me into the demoscene in college, and it just brought back too many good memories. Not to mention, one of the trophies mentions Fabrauch. I can't spell their name, but I have been a huge fan since I saw the Produkt.

I'm just curious to know if all people on this website care about is Trophies or do you play games to have fun and not care if you don't achieve a Trophy. I've been looking at these forums for a while now and it's alright for people to like achieving Trophies however I'm surprised some people actually make a decisions on purchasing a game based on it's Trophies. Is it me but I think that's a bit extreme to do. Why can't people enjoy games without Trophies like video games used to be?

that's the bad side of trophies, and achievements in games in general, I wouldn't make a decision yo buy a game based on its trophies but I always look up a trophy guide before I start playing, to gt the general idea of what I'm getting into, unless it's a game like Arkham or LBP where there are no missable trophies 100% sure, although Arkham Origins did have some missable ones xD

I'm just curious to know if all people on this website care about is Trophies or do you play games to have fun and not care if you don't achieve a Trophy. I've been looking at these forums for a while now and it's alright for people to like achieving Trophies however I'm surprised some people actually make a decisions on purchasing a game based on it's Trophies. Is it me but I think that's a bit extreme to do. Why can't people enjoy games without Trophies like video games used to be?

I get crap from my friends from this all the time.  I like playing for trophies.  I generally purchase around 2-5 games a year.  Those are games I enjoy and don't care about the trophies.  Most other games are freebies from PS+.  I won't play a PS+ game if it looks like it has hard trophies cause I don't want to spend time on a game that I probably won't enjoy that much.  I don't care if people don't play for trophies but I hate when I'm looked down on because I do.  I won't judge you because all you play is FPS and Racing games.  If that's what you like, then that's what you like.

I live in brasil and i'm a gamer since i was 5 (when i got a PS1, the first video-game i actually remember having, mom says i had a SNES before that but...) so i complete games because i don't have much of an option when it comes to games (the few i don't have completed are absurdly hard games like Persona 4 Arena, games like Assassin's Creeds that require MP and/or choresome tasks like beating easier difficulties in games that don't stack it up or stuff i'm currently working on)

But i do make the rule of not looking too much into trophies until i beat a game i haven't played yet.

The format i recomend:

1st run through the game without looking at trophies nor looking up stuff on the net.

2nd run you break those 2 restrictions and trying to make it count. (100% in-game account)

If any subsequent runs are required do them as hasty and straight for the goal as possible (100% trophies or Platinum) so you won't get sick of the game.

(maybe you'll come back if you didn't play too much, who knows)