(Poll) Which decade do you wish to have been born?

Xxleonardo97xX

Decades  

80 members have voted

1. 1. The one you wished

Conceived in Reagan, born in Bush. Wouldn't have it any other way. I'm glad I can (barely) claim the 80s.

Historically the 60s would have been a vibrant time to live in because of the social change.

The world has accelerated so much in the last 150 years. It's boggling to think about.

Vagantem, I've been sitting here thinking how to respond to your post but... words fail me to explain how much I disagree with you. So simply: your statement makes me sad.

Maybe you appreciate that era.. I certainly do not. 

We disagree, there's nothing wrong that. 

Do not let my opinion sadden you.. I'm one dude, my opinion is irrelevant. 

I was born in the 80s, but I do see why people love to reminisce about the decades past. All that technology you talk about has made a lot of things nicer, easier, prettier, but at the same time it made things scarier and detached.

I'm a fanatic gamer and love new technology, but there's something about the 40s-70s that interests me (love the atmosphere in games like Maffia 2 for example). Sure, games look real-life-realistic but can you still just leave your door open all day in the summer time, just to have random neighbours stepping in to have coffee and talk? Does every adult still watch out for someone else's kids that are playing outside? Do people even know their neighbours? Nowadays, everyone that shows any form of interest in others is branded a creepy molester.

Social media is far from social, no one talks to people on the bus anymore, everyone is too busy updating their profiles on whatever app is the latest trend. Internet has given us immediate access to everything in the world. And I think it's the reason why everyone is so mistrusting and careless for everyone else except their immediate circle, we hear way too many creepy things on the internet than is good for us.

I love being born in the 80s and I've enjoyed a lot of it (great cartoons, great games) but if I had to pick any other decade, I'd pick 50s, so I could grow up in the 60s and 70s.

I get you.. and you're right. ;) 

I'm just more suited to this era, I'm not much of people person. 

You've gotta remember all the racism and sexism that was back in the 50's 60's and so on. 

Men and Women were stuck in defined gender roles. Men are supposed to have wives and be providers and the wives are meant to be housewives. 

I have no interest in having a wife or providing for her lol. 

I much prefer being alone. 

I was born premature so if I was born in the 50's I probably wouldn't have lived. 

Nature wanted to kill me and science saved my life. ;) 

So yeah I'm very happy I was born in the 90s.

You've gotta remember all the racism and sexism that was back in the 50's 60's and so on. 

Men and Women were stuck in defined gender roles. Men are supposed to have wives and be providers and the wives are meant to be housewives. 

I have no interest in having a wife or providing for her lol. 

I much prefer being alone. 

Agreeness level over 9000! :o

Congratulations, you were choosen to be one of my Internet-Buddyyys, Buddyyy ^_^

I'm ok with being born in 1990. Got to enjoy a lot of awesome cartoons and anime like:

• SWAT Cats
  • Biker Mice from Mars
  • Samurai Pizza Cats
  • Shinzo
  • Wing Gundam
  • Pokemon
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • Tom and Jerry
  • Top Cat
  • The Flintstones
  • The Jetsons
  • Hong Kong Phoey
  • Wacky Races
  • Scooby Doo
  • Dasterdly and Muttley in their Flying Machines

And games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

• Like 1

1971 here.

First, we survived being born to mothers who took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

farm11.jpgRiding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

ka.gifWe ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

farm7.jpgWe would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms.......WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

farm17.jpg

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

gene3.jpg

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

When we did something we were not supposed to or got into trouble, we got spanked (by a hand, a hairbrush, or a belt) or even worse we got our legs "switched" with a branch from a special bush grown in the backyard and even had to go cut it ourselves before it was used on us. But we never thought of calling the police or Social Services to report our parents for child abuse!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

Every decade and generation has it's advantages and disadvantages. I'm happy I was born in 1971 as I have seen computers go from the size of a small car to tablets with more power then the space shutle had.

Edited by broy300
  • Like 2

I don't mind being born in the 90's. Then again, My father brought me up as if I lived in the 80's.  Movies, music, etc. Most of the references I say are pretty much outdated and I'm only in my 20's lol. I do love history though, and wouldn't mind visiting different times. Time travel is one of the things I like, it just throws my brain into over drive. 

I really wish I was born in 1985, so I could grow up in 90's. Wait... I was born in 1985... and I grew up in the 90's! :D

It would probably be in the late 60s, I love everything about the 80s, so being a teenager in that decade seemed so damn awesome!

Edited by Venocide

If I were to choose I would like to be able to experience the 70s for their classic music and the 80s for their cinema-defining films, but I don't necessarily know if I'd like to have been born then/grow up then.  I certainly appreciate them, but I like the technology age that we are currently living in for the last decade or so where we are always connected to the world and can carry the internet in our pockets (that's a bit of a newer revolution but you get the idea).  Every generation has its pros and cons, point being I don't mind the fact I was born in this one.

• Like 1

I was born in 1988, and I had a great time growing up during the 90s. The very decade where I was introduced to video games for the very first time as well as some of the best cartoons that used to be on TV. Looking back now, I've really come a long way since then and I can't help feel a bit nostalgic whenever I come across something from my childhood. Whether it's a toy or a cereal that hasn't been made in years, it makes me feel like a kid again. Long story short, I love being a 90s kid. 

I was born in 1992 but I'm satisfied with it, was a great time when games star to be more realistic and have a story and also remember when I play my first game was in an Atari 2600 of my father r.i.p with pack man & space invaders and also Cartoons was good no like today and great music was out already I don't mind to be born again in the 90 was a great time to be born

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

I would have like to have experienced the 60's in my 20s, but I am proud Gen X'er born in 1975 in the UK so I am happy to have been child of the 1980's and teenager/early 20's of the 90's.   

The Internet was actually created in 1982 but was only accessible to businesses, it wasn't for public use until the mid 90's and I am glad that Social Media didn't exist in the 1980's or before as I personally think its been a bad influence upon young people and I feel that there is more sexism now and and ever growing misogyny now than there ever was in the 50s, 60's or 70's [ in fact women were far safer walking the streets at night then than they are now ] which again is down to Social Media and so called "influencers" like Andrew Tate for example, its one of its negative effects [ particularly on young men ] not that are not positive ones, Youtube of course allows us to access some of the great music we grew up with.  What happened to music, we had so much variety up until 2016 after that its been downhill all the way, its no wonder we are getting an 80's sound revival, in the mid to late 90s many indie bands were influenced by the 60's.  I am glad I grew up with great television, great music, not so great fashions lol, no mobile phones which have sadly become so much a part of a day to day lives that we seem to barely function without them.   Growing up watching Top of the Pops and finding out what next cassette tape you wish to by of your favourite band and waiting for the weekend to go and buy it or your parents buying it for you, was part of the thrill and that anticipation of that, now that everything is basically instantly available that's all gone which is sad.  So I wouldn't want to be a child today nor a teenager today thanks. 

Edited by alexandra-jane09
  • Like 1

Definitely would've been an American Boomer. Born in '57

The United States had recently become a global superpower and underwent the largest and fastest expansion in terms of economic growth and quality of life. Insane advances in medicine, Inflation was at an all time low and things were built to last. Most things were financially attainable. Even working a minimum wage job and saving for a few years would yield you a down payment on a nice house and a new reliable vehicle. It was an economic goldmine, pursuing higher education via loans didn't result in life long debt. I say  '57  because you would dodge getting drafted into the Vietnam war entirely. Chill for the next 40 years while investing in real estate. Then after covid sell all your real estate to Millennial's and Gen Z for 10 times what you paid for it. Cash in and relax until you expire. 

I wish I remembered the decade I was born in a more consciously, that would’ve been possible from being born in the one before.

I am satisfied with the decade I'm born in but the 60s I think would have been really fun to experience, the music & the people. Most of today's music is insufferable and the people.