Any tips for those of us who can't sleep?

PleaseHoldOn

Listening to music I like helps me get sleepy, or I just go to sleep while I still got earphones on my ears and got music playing. But be careful to not have the earphones get stuck or have them mash right inside your ear if you're using any when sleeping, I don't move much on my sleep so I don't worry about that happening. And everytime I play 'The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth', I get sleepy, I don't know why though. :lol: Also, sometimes I masturbate just so I can get tired and can be able to sleep. And of course, you can try to exercise, and work out throughout the day, and by the time you want to sleep, hopefully you'll be very tired. Well, tired as in you can hopefully fall asleep, obviously. If none of these practices work for me, then usually I just stay up all night. I can't force myself to sleep, I usually need to find things to do that can put me to sleep. The one that helps me the most is listening to music, though. Or playing video-games before I go to sleep, since they do tire me out depending as to whether they are hard. Reading books also really helps me relax, but rarely do I have any books I want to read.

Edited by Ethan Ruhkillmeez

Honestly I think not using the phone during nightime laying on bed can be better. You won't be distracted on what's going on during the time that you would stay awake maybe.

The other choices can work for me like masturbation when I got nothing to do honestly or being horny it can lead me to sleep doing night time when I don't have school days. Doing small bit of exercise will work for me as well like doing pushups and sit ups when I feel of needing to do that.

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

WTH? Red Bull to help sleep? Nope, don't do that.  Anytime I drink energy drink (and this is during the day), I will have a hard time sleeping that night.

Anyways advice I have been given but never really use as I can get to sleep when I feel like it, is reading.  It does work too as because as soon as I started that for a bit, I found I was ready for sleep after about reading 3 pages... probably depends on your attention span though, mines isn't very good.

And what people say about distractions is true.  Turn everything off at the wall.  Have your phone either out of the room or out of reach to your bed.  Lights off, if you can, get blinds in that will completely black out the room, I recently got these in my room and they are awesome, no light from pasting by cars etc.

Get drunk, it helps loool

Getting serious.. hum I've similar issues; just turn on the AC to a right temperature, the best rest is when it's not too cold or too hot.

A cup of warm milk with a bit of honey helps; a comforting chamomile hot tea.

What not to do is:

Don't eat at least 2 hours before going to bed

Do not drink anything because you'll have the need to pee.

Try not to think about your problems or what you're going to do tomorrow

DO NOT THINK THAT YOU CAN'T SLEEP

For dinner, you can eat pasta, banana or something like that because they release something that helps in the dreaming situation (I don't know how that substance is called in english); just take notice to eat those at least two hours prior sleeping, you'll get the call "mal del puerco" in spansh lol.

Hope this helps :)

I usually read every night before I go to bed and that puts me into my own world and prepares me for sleep. It's also good if you're someone like me that likes to record your dreams, as it will make them more vivid and easy to remember.

when i play a game from morning till late in the night and go to bed i play the game in my dream and every hour i wake up because stupid shit happens in-game.
i need to stop gaming all day or watch a movie before going to bed.. 
i do go to the gym daily (even weekends) but that doesn't help..

i did sleep good when i smoked marihuana but i'm from holland..don't think that's a good option for the most people over here.
they say sex before sleep is good because codeine (don't know the good words) get's you relaxed.
 try that .. ?

I sometimes use a simple breathing/relaxation technique, it works about 8 or 9 times out of 10 for me unless I'm completely wired awake. Once you're lying down in your preferred sleeping position, take a deep breath with your eyes closed. As deep as you possibly can. Hold it for as long as you can. Make a concentrated effort to tense up every muscle in your body while doing this. When you can't hold it any longer, exhale slowly and concentrate on relaxing each individual muscle starting from your feet and working your way up to your head/neck by the time you completely finish breathing out. Repeat until you're sawing logs. Not only does it physically calm you, but by focusing your thoughts on your breathing and state of your body it distracts your mind from whatever is racing through it and keeping you awake.

Give it a shot...if it doesn't work, no loss. But I challenge anybody to not pass out after doing it 3-4 times in a row.

1. Don't go to sleep hungry, while it's not really good to eat at night, just eat something light and you'll be fine. 

2. Put on some relaxing music, it seems to always help me. Especially www.rainymood.com + a song :)

3. Masturbation is always a good bet to make you sleep easily. And it's healthy :D

4. Try to close your mind of thoughts. It's what makes you awake at night, just try not to think. If you have music, try to listen to that, you will feel more relaxed and it will make you fall asleep quicker.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but still ... :D I have the same problems so these are some things that could help you or anybody else :)
Edited by QuinlanLJ
  • Like 1

My tip is COUNT. Every time I can't sleep because Im thinking too much, I always think '1, 2, 3, 4, 5' fpr every breath I take, sometimes thoughts pop up but I just restart counting when it happens. I also have to count to 100 sometimes when im simply not super tired, then I simply start over yet again, it always help me sleep even if Im not tired :)

My tip is COUNT. Every time I can't sleep because Im thinking too much, I always think '1, 2, 3, 4, 5' fpr every breath I take, sometimes thoughts pop up but I just restart counting when it happens. I also have to count to 100 sometimes when im simply not super tired, then I simply start over yet again, it always help me sleep even if Im not tired :)

Always thought of trying that.Might try next time

• Like 1

I find despite having a very comfortable bed, and oftentimes being so tired before trying to sleep that I'm yawning uncontrollably... that I still just lay in bed for hours tossing and turning most nights.  I've tried every over-the-counter sleep aid out there, and while they do seem to make me feel more exhausted, my mind still wanders enough to keep me tossing and turning... I guess is the best way to describe it.  I think it's all because of this big, juicy brain of mine working into all hours of the night whether I want/need it to or not.

Without medicine/drugs or seeking professional help yet, I figured I'd stop here and check with the medical professionals of PSNP to see if there was anyone out there like me... and if they'd possibly have any friendly tips or tricks in this area.  A warm cup of milk before bed would work wonders perhaps?  Try sleeping on my back instead of curled up in a ball?  Go for a jog around the house three times before packing it in for the night?  Who knows what could work. ;)

I know how you feel. I've been struggling with the same crap for years now. Tried many things without any luck.

About medication. It's okay to use it in short time period, and it works for many, but it's not recommended in the long run. I've used a high dose melatonin a couple of weeks (they even gave allergy meds), but the only effect it had on me was that I felt like a real shit in the morning.

I've never had a problem falling asleep, unless of course I'm not tired or uhm in some other state... :S

I often listen to some audio book or lecture etc until I fall asleep. I got the media player and speakers etc set to "sleep" after x amount of mins, so it doesn't disturb me while I actually sleep. At least then you will feel like you aren't wasting as much time while lying there in bed, and you be thinking about something else than the fact that you're not sleeping.

There's no one way to fall asleep quickly. Sometimes my mind is too active... so I read, or watch youtube videos on my phone. Sometimes I just get up and turn my ps3, watch some netflix, and after an hour or so I typically go back to bed. My mind usually needs two things going to really focus. Which can be great for most things, but bad when you want to just fall asleep. I also sometimes day dream before I go to sleep. Like put myself in situations, develop some kind of mini story in my head, and just kind of drift off to sleep.... 

• 6 months later...